Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > No-Bake chocolate/oatmeal cookies - anyone have a recipe?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovinnc
Msg: 1
No-Bake chocolate/oatmeal cookies - anyone have a recipe?Page 1 of 1    
I'm looking for a recipe for no-bake cookies we used to make in college all the time. I know some of the ingredients are cocoa, oatmeal, and peanut butter - just don't know the rest or the assembly directions. Anyone have the recipe?
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 2
view profile
History
No-Bake chocolate/oatmeal cookies - anyone have a recipe?
Posted: 9/10/2006 6:22:27 PM
No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

4 oz. butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3-4 tbsp. peanut butter, optional
3 cups oats, quick or old-fashioned
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Place chocolate chips, peanut butter (if used), oats, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine the margarine, milk, and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Combine the hot mixture with the oatmeal and chocolate chip mixture; stir well. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
 lovinnc
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/10/2006 6:29:06 PM
Keep them coming! So far these look like different versions than what we made. (no pet milk or chocolate chips)

I'm guessing there must be tons of versions....
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2006 6:59:22 PM

So far these look like different versions than what we made. (no pet milk or chocolate chips)[/quote
here's some using cocoa instead of chocolate chips - maybe one is similar to what you remember

No-Bake Cocoa Oatmeal Cookies

Mix together and cook for 1 minute.
1/2 cup margarine
1-1/2 cups sugar, or to taste
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk

Stir in:
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oatmeal

Drop onto waxed paper. Let cool. Pack in air tight container.

No-Bake Cocoa, Oatmeal, Coconut Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
3 cups quick-cooking oats
5 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup coconut

In a large saucepan, combine butter, milk and sugar; bring to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in oats, cocoa, and coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper.

No Bake Cocoa Oatmeal Cookies
courtesy Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

1-1/2 cups sugar
4 tsp. cocoa
1/2 cup sweet milk
1 stick butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt
3 cups oatmeal
1/2 pkg. miniature marshmallows

Combine sugar, cocoa, milk and butter, cook over low heat 4-6 minutes using a large saucepan. Remove from fire. Add peanut butter, oatmeal, vanilla and salt, stir well. Add marshmallows. Drop on wax paper.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:21:25 PM
what on EARTH is "Pet milk" ???? I'm hoping it's some sort of canned milk product??? cuz ... otherwise ... that's just weird ...

I'm looking for a recipe for some cookies my Grandmother made for her children, beginning about 1912 or so ... I believe she never shared the recipe with her children ... and certainly not with the grandchildren ... by the time I came along, she ALWAYS had these cookies in a clear green glass cookie jar ... while I never SAW her MAKING the cookie DOUGH ... the dough was always in the frig when I got to her house ... she wrapped this very stiff cookie dough in used (store bought) bread wrappers in a roll ... and sliced them into about 1/4" slices ... baked them till they were crisp ... I always got the two end pieces cuz they weren't perfect and you "had to" eat your mistakes!

she MAY have used steel milled oats and finely chopped walnuts or pecans ... there must have been sugar but I can't decide whether it was brown or white ... I suspect she may have used lard even ... or shortening ...

it's a challenge!!!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2010 4:54:13 PM
here's yet ANOTHER bunch of recipes that would be perfect for this gift giving season ...

incidentally, I never DID find my Grandmother's refrigerator oatmeal cookie recipe ... if anyone knows of one such!
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2010 4:26:50 PM
MM - here's 3 recipes granny used to make. Second recipe says to put oats through a food chopper - this is to make them smaller and a more uniform size.

Ice-box Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup lard
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sour milk OR buttermilk

Combine sugar, oats and flour. Cut in butter and lard as in making pastry. Lastly add the soda dissolved in the sour milk. Work together until it forms a dough. Then form into a large roll and chill at least overnight. Slice very thin for a crisp cookie and place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375°F.

Note: Recipe is so old no time was given ... I baked for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

Cream together shortening and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture. Put quick cooking oats through a food chopper, add. Shape dough into rolls 1-1/2" diameter. Chill 8-10 hours. Grease several cookie sheets. Slice rolls and place on greased sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Ice-box Fruit Oatmeal Cookies (circa 1931)
3/4 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup stoned dates, cut finely
1 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups rolled oats

Cream butter and add sugar. Add well beaten eggs, dates and currants. Sift flour and baking soda together and add to first mixture. Finally add rolled oats and stir well. Form into rolls and leave in ice box or cool place overnight. Slice thinly and bake on greased baking sheet in 350°F oven for 12-15 minutes.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2010 9:27:26 AM
thanks, Classic Chassis ...

think I'll try the 2nd one as it sounds like it might be the one ... my grandmother wouldn't have been able to put the oats thru a food chopper ... but she MIGHT have used "steel cut oats" ... which looks to me like oats put thru a food chopper!

I'll be creative, cut the recipe down and just go for it!

thanks so much for sharing ...

Classic Chassis
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2010 11:16:32 AM
granny's food chopper was gramps ... 'nuff said.
 texasbaby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2010 11:45:16 AM
Lol @ CC,, wish that had been true in my family. I was my grandma's chopper, slicer, dicer, grinder... Man,, she made chow-chow every year,, I was the one who put all that stuff through the hand grinder,, it was so gross.. Veggie juice dripping every where,, running down your arms..

tb
 Molly Maude
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2010 11:51:34 AM
I used to be the one who ran the cranberry sauce thru the "meat" grinder ... 1 lb. fresh cranberries, a fresh orange and a fresh apple with maybe a cup of sugar? had to let it set for maybe a week ...

but, yeah ... fruit juices mixed with the oil from the grinder everywhere! and the only place I could fasten the grinder was onto the kitchen table!

that's why I made cooked cranberry sauce this year ... no grinder!
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2010 8:08:00 PM
well duh ... forgot the most important part of the recipe - corrected version follows

Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups quick cooking oats

Cream together shortening and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture. Put quick cooking oats through a food chopper, add. Shape dough into rolls 1-1/2" diameter. Chill 8-10 hours. Grease several cookie sheets. Slice rolls and place on greased sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Note: Dough may also be rolled out and cut with cookie cutters. If desired, after baking place some date filling between two cookies.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > No-Bake chocolate/oatmeal cookies - anyone have a recipe?