Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The truth about Introverts.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rebellious
Msg: 6
The truth about Introverts.Page 1 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
Hey let's not oversimplify things, people are too complex to be described in one word.

Ok, I am an ambi-vert.
 nipoleon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
The truth about Introverts.
Posted: 9/12/2006 11:04:00 AM
I agree, we have a real prejudice against introverts in our society.
All our popular culture is geared towards to extroverts.
Everyone admires the life of the party, the one getting all the attention, the one who makes us laugh.
We look down on the introvert and exalt the extrovert.
We think extroverts are happy and introverts are sad. No one wants to be introverted.
The word introverted sounds dower and depressing.
But this is what I have noticed.
Extroverts are a lot of fun, yes, but they are overall, shallow, insincere, undependable, and frivolous.
Introverts are overall, thoughtful, polite, trustworthy, and dependable.
Power to the Introverts !
 69cobra
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2006 12:34:54 PM
I agree with the author on almost every point. I too, consider myself to be an introvert, for the most part, and also have a Superior IQ, in the mid 140's. I am surprised and puzzled that Rainbowfishh would be so offended by what was written.

Poor "Rainbow boy", must have gotten his extraverted feeling bruised... But then, he NEEDS a group of people to agree with him before he can be happy.

Doesn't he know that there is always some cross-over in all things. It kindda proves the author's point about introverts being SMARTer, now doesn't it!! AND I'm sure this will provoke a nasty response from "Rainbow boy"!!
 whitebirch
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/12/2006 12:55:09 PM
was the original post copied from somewhere? sounded like it.

i agree with pure_luck in that most people are too complex to be described in one word.

i've been described by a very good friend as being an "extroverted introvert." i had someone who would have to be called "socially challenged" (which is probably just another way of saying extreme introvert) say i wasn't at all introverted.

i think we all change...move around on the scale...depending on our current situation/surroundings. the more comfortable someone is where he is at the moment, the less he'll be totally introverted (at least right then). also, if we're feeling sure of our place in the world at a given time, i believe the introversion will be more subdued.

i don't agree that a person can just go from one extreme to the other tho...cuz if it's that easy to just change, then why wouldn't people be doing it all the time (if we're in a so-called extroverts' world)? i don't believe that someone who's suddenly an extrovert was ever a true full-fledged introvert.

i, too, get overwhelmed by being around too many people, especially if they need to keep busy by talking constantly. ever know someone like that, who wasn't satisfied to just sit for even a moment while you're in their presence? talk about tiring!

anyway, my main point is that i think most people are mixtures...& only the "socially challenged" are on the extreme end of the introversion scale....
 Double Cabin
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2006 1:21:50 PM
I spend days and more alone on the trail and in another life was once offered to join one of America's greatest Theatre Comapanies. I get along great in small groups unless most of the participants are arguments for euthanasia. I can be shy when intimidated though. Boy do I miss being intimidated.
 JWA
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/12/2006 2:46:18 PM
Did I miss something where the OP said either trait is "better", more intelligent or anything else judgemental? And WTF is with this "rainbow" chick and her non-stop BS? I do NOT care what subject is posted IF she wades in 90% of the time she's in opposition just to be noticed. I wish this new b/f of her's would put a clamp on her---the tighter the better! Poor guy---he just has to be suicidal by now?

From what's been shared here about personal experiences I am probably more of an introvert but certainly can lapse into a seemingly outgoing, gregarious, "people person" when it becomes necessary for business. I do have a minor contrast in that I'm hyper sometimes but mostly laid back most of the time. Over the years I have fought with myself trying to be more outgoing but like has been said after a while of that I need or want to retreat and recharge. More than a few girlfriends have never been able or willing to allow this about me which eventually became an issue for them. They assumed I was no longer into them because now and again I needed that alone time. (It didn't matter how MUCH time---it bothered them any amount.)

I'm sure there are many people who have partial aspects of both traits and can move between them easily. Maybe that's a learned skill? The more comfortable I am in my knowledge of a situation the better I think I perform tasks associated with the setting.

But this is just me---as we see here everyone has a slightly different view and experience with this. I do think it's difficult for one trait to get along well over time with the other if there is no understanding or acceptance of the differences.
 JWA
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/12/2006 3:20:02 PM
^^^I agree with you one thousand percent Hitman!! Hope your advice flows both way in this stream!!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/12/2006 5:04:01 PM
"Extrovert – finds meaning outside themselves." Hmm...well as a complete extrover, I guess if you mean in their relationships, then yeah. I value my relationships highly, all of them. I am also very introspective and self focused.
There is no simplistic one sentence definition that can characterize a personality type.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/12/2006 8:39:52 PM
~OT~ Personally, I believe there is much truth in post #1. As for the critics ~ take from this what you want and discard the rest. Being an extrovert is not a character flaw, nor is being an introvert. No need to get upset because you fit in both categories ~ it's who you perceive yourself to be.

I am a recluse of extreme proportions and have known for years that I am introvert, as well. Many of the things expressed in post #1 are not only accurate, but are dead-on accurate. I have stated for years that I require insane amounts of alone time. I don't like being asked "what's wrong?" I don't speak until I think first. Etc., etc. It's accurate as far as me and my traits. And, he's right again in that I was married to an extrovert and it was like fire/water. Simply did NOT mix. Label or not, introverts are a unique being ~ and I don't believe extroverts (at least most extroverts "get it.") JMO!!

Thanks OP ~ great info!!
 Wullis
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2006 8:53:21 PM

Extrovert – finds meaning outside themselves.
Introvert – finds meaning within themselves [quote/]

Damn I thought Introvert meant .....A pervert that introduces himself as such
And an Extrovert meant.................A pervert that extra perverted

Why else would people call me an Introextrovert??????
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/12/2006 9:19:54 PM
foof

~OT~ I am not likely to discuss feelings. If I tell you terms of endearment once, it's how I feel. And unless I tell you differently, it's how I feel. I have been with more than one extrovert ~ and it's never been good. I used to wonder why my mind would instantly wander when someone was needing constant validation re: feelings. I once dated a man named Sean. I, to this day, call him "Let's Share Sean." He drove me crazy with his need to "share." One night, he said "Let's share ..." I said, "Let's not." That was the end of that. I had explained over and over and over that until there was a problem, there was NO problem. When he wouldn't knock it off, it became a problem for me. I am all for solving issues in a timely and organized/civilized manner. But I am not likely to stick around and have the life sucked out of me because "he" doesn't understand me. Hence, why I'm single to this day.
 40Chev
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2006 5:14:17 AM
I'm reading all this and thinking - "Is this what we've come to? Everyone has to have a tag or a label?" I always thought part of the greatness of being a human was we are each so unique in our sameness.
If you have to tag me - call me a contra "vert". I cherish my individuality

<<< feeling ornery today
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/13/2006 1:09:27 PM
I finally took the test. No surprises there. INTJ. And, for the most part ~ it was overly accurate. Interesting really. I thought I was always entering "power-struggle" relationships and that my man-picker was broken. I think it's clear now why my choices have been so off ~ I was with E's that simply do not understand a thing about me. Add my need to evolve constantly, my need for organization and my over-thinking nature, it's no wonder I'm forever single. The fun part of this was the following:

U.S. Presidents: Chester A. Arthur; Calvin Coolidge; Thomas Jefferson; John F. Kennedy; James K. Polk; Woodrow Wilson.

Fictional: Cassius (Julius Caesar); Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice); Gandalf the Grey (J. R. R. Tolkein's Middle Earth books); Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs); Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' nemesis; Ensign Ro (Star Trek--the Next Generation); Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Hamlet); George Smiley, John le Carre's master spy; Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs).

Some of my most favorite literary characters are here. I guess I need to find/meet/date someone like Hannibal Lecter ~ I'd much rather date Mr. Darcy, however. Gandalf ~ too cool !!
 Wullis
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2006 2:10:13 PM
I spend long periods of time with as little interaction as possible....spending free time in the woods, rivers ect.

Then I will become the partymaster and socialize alot

DOES THIS MEAN I"M JUST A VERT???????
 femalegirlwoman
Msg: 95
Posted: 9/13/2006 2:16:27 PM
great topic! theres a great book on introverts but I cant think of the name or author right now, its got a picture of a egg shell on the cover though!

After I read that book I didnt feel like such a weirdo and understood myself better and was comforted knowing there was tons of people like me.

I have dated extroverts and been friends with them, and while they are great to be around at times, I am glad I am an introvert and dont need constant attention and approval of others every minute (not that all extroverts are like that)
 raven3
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2006 3:03:33 PM
Yes, so well said. Would to have one for work as well. Have not gotten a promotion because of introverted abilities as well.
 Wullis
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2006 3:40:37 PM

LOL,
Not so fast there Wullis, before diagnosis we'll need your credit card # and your signature on our disclaimer so when your done you'll blame everyone else for the way you are and be properly labeled and assigned your role

Only if it is a recurring charge so I can justify my guilt and anger for being stuck with an ailment with no prefix

"KD" I dub thee the Gilbert Gotfried of the Forum Funny Farm
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/13/2006 6:16:41 PM
ESE^^^Weird huh? I am a little surprised. I think being an extrovert would be wonderful. Being able to chat at will, being out in social settings and feeling at ease, not turning every little thing into an over-night analysis crunch. Standing in a huge crowd and feeling part of it. I don't know ~ we are all different, but I think I'd rather be an ex than an in. Of course ~ maybe we always want what we don't have.

~OT~ Did anyone notice that the test has lower case letters and capital letters to differentiate the percentages of each of the four categories? I was wondering if any of you innies or exies would mind sharing your percentages? I find the percentages very telling ~ my roommate took the test and was an inny (lower case i) but only 6%. I was extremely high and an upper case. Vastly different traits depending on upper/lower case and percentile, from what I'm reading. Thanks again OP, interesting study in sociological/psychological insights.
 belly18dancer
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/13/2006 7:00:25 PM
ok u have defined introverts...and I guess i fit some of it

I think my problem is shyness though....

i dont like being around people i dont know...unless we have a common bond...like a group of teachers or dancers...

i can dance alone on a dance floor and not even care...but can't talk one on one to an attractive man i've just met ....

crazy huh....

people think i'm being aloof or arrogant...not at all...if they only knew
 Veloce
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2006 8:26:35 PM
Well said!!!

I concur as I am an extrovert that had no choice in my life to become introverted as I lost my a major sensory artery and that being my hearing. It is nice and relaxing finding happiness in your innerself so-to-speak.

I truthfully can say I lived in both worlds!
 TherealFish
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/13/2006 9:28:22 PM
Humm..

I don't know who I am ..anymore!!!

Yet.. For a very informative topic!

Also..entertaining,amusing...though posts' of some, became slightly
misconstruing!!lol

as well as some negative responses...seemed threatened by the
introverted perception! Interesting...

If you are open to the concept of learning,you are open to growing!

And thats what its' all about!

verygreeneyez
Msg: 116
Posted: 9/13/2006 10:38:00 PM

Your Type is
ISTJ
Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
89 25 75 11
I guess I am REALLY an introvert LOL

Half: We are almost twins. Well, except for that devil thing you have going on! LOL

I am INTJ: 85% intro. That didn't shock me at all. I found the difference between my roommate's 6% and my 85% interesting and very telling. She's definitely border-line extrovert. Thankfully. If she weren't we'd never eat. I haven't been to a grocery store in almost a year.

foof: great idea. Post the link in your profile and ask for test results in the first email. HA! I just may do that. Now that is funny!!
 TherealFish
Msg: 130
Posted: 9/14/2006 11:27:22 AM
I do believe there are a acouple of people on this thread..posting...
That are in need of 'brownie points'

Yah you know who you are?

With all those dates? rainbow /hitman...

Its a wonder you have time to be on here?

Brizo
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2006 5:54:14 PM
thanks OP for the link...I turned out to be INFJ, and the reading was surprisingly accurate....especially about being full of contradictions....but the real surprise was the extent of my introvertedness....100%...whoa.....I knew I liked being alone a little more than others...but I guess I am as much a hermit as my sister, who the whole family teases....we love each other dearly but neither wants to leave their home to visit...

Might I point out the old adage "it takes all kinds to make a world"? It may sound trite and dated, but it honestly DOES take all kinds, idea people and worker bees, those willing to stand in the limelight, those who shrink from it....I have read these traits are inborn, so it is just a persons temperament, and there is nothing to be done about it but appreciate our fellow humans for their refreshing diversity....
 LoversEntwined
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2006 8:26:58 PM
an interesting thread .. must read later.. need time away ..

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The truth about Introverts.