Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why dont guys want to talk on the phone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MasterBart
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why dont guys want to talk on the phone?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Hold the phone, kids. Why should I be put on the defensive for simply having a preference? I didn't know I'd be speaking on anyone else's behalf, much less "men" in general, but I just plain don't care to talk on the phone. I see my cell as an electronic leash, straight up. The home phone is like an alarm or siren, just to alert me that someone wishes to interrupt whatever I'm doing just to make conversation.

I don't know if it's my buddy, a solicitor or a bill collector, and I don't feel like racing downstairs to check the caller ID everytime. I never take calls from numbers I don't recognize on my cell.

I find it unprofessional to take social calls at work, and I work long hours. It's dangerous to talk on the phone while driving. When I'm at home, I have just a few hours to take care of critical, functional-type things. Taking a long phone call is a treat, not a constant necessity. Did I mention how much I hate people who talk on the phone while driving?

Not to be sexist, but women really do seem to be phone junkies. I happen to resent that. If I want to be with someone, it's in person. So many women I've dated or been friends with end up calling like 5 or 10 times a day, and I think it's royally immature. So, I put my foot down right from the start; I don't give out my number until I trust someone with it.
 dogar2007
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why dont guys want to talk on the phone?
Posted: 9/14/2006 10:17:32 PM
Neither of us can tell if there is any real "chemistry" over the phone, anyway. That takes eye contact, appearance, body language, etc.

Also, if I am a creep or stalker, or something else unpleasant, I am probably clever enough not to mention it just because I happen to be on the phone.

I talked with one very nice lady for 3 weeks, almost daily, before we met. We were having a great time. Then, when we finally did meet, she decided there was no "chemisrtry", it didn't "feel right" etc. No second date. I spent 3 weeks working up to that one 3-hour date.

Let's face it ladies, you want to know me? You're gonna have to meet me, anyway, so why waste all that time dithering about it?

Life is short. Let's move it along.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/15/2006 9:03:20 AM
How many calls does it take to choke a chicken?
 Double Cabin
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2006 9:40:08 AM
Because we're all getting tapped, haven't you heard?
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2006 11:43:03 AM
I like chatting on the phone.
I just prefer talking in person. Being able to look into a person's eyes. See their body language. It makes it easier to understand how they're feeling about whatever it is you're talking about.
 Bendilin
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/16/2006 8:22:07 PM
I dispise talking into a device. I won't even do webcam ( cause mine has a mic built into it ). It's extremely impersonal.

Wanna talk? Then let's meet. Otherwise, text is good enough for the likes of you, Shy-ie McShy!
 designingwoman
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2006 6:26:57 PM
I much prefer the phone over instant messaging. I find IM disruptive to whatever else I am doing on the computer. The phone is better for making arrangements to meet, making plans to get together, etc.

After all the whole point of dating sites should be getting DATES, not just yakking on the phone, IMing or emailing to no end. I don't like the idea of a virtual relationship with someone who lives nearby or within driving distance.
 akula
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/8/2006 9:04:04 PM
I work on phones all day ,i hate phones.but it could be because he just wants you to be a online firend.If someone really likes you they call.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2006 11:25:03 AM
The assumption that anyone that doesn't want to talk on a phone because someone else might find out is just not giving players credit for ingenuity. Plain and simple they can get a pre-paid cell with no bill and continue to fool those that believe that a phone call is a "better" indicator that something isn't amiss. (note: those are also good as a buffer if you want to prevent the creeps from doing a reverse directory seach and locating your physical address )

Some people are comfortable with phones others are not. It isn't even a "man-thing" or a "woman-thing".
 Double Cabin
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2006 2:59:11 PM
"When you have a man at a phone, you have him at his weakest point. Pure communication is not usually their strong suit, if you take men as a group."

Mominatrix, when I'm at my weakest point I'm pretty darn unintelligble, and phone skills made me a good deal of money the last millenium.
 sailoribe
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2006 4:34:48 PM
I have one of those unreliable cheapo cell phones and I also despise talking on the phone. I would much rather Email or IM. A short hello thinking of you is fine. Person to person is the only way to go. A message works better for me. I do not like people who get two or three phone calls a day just to talk to someone they are going to see in a few hours. My cell phone is for emergencies. My home phone is for the computer and keeping track of where the Boys are. Other than that a phone is such a bother to me. Its not that I am married or have a girlfriend. I will give out my number to someone I am interested in. But talk on the phone for hours about me? Thats not happening. My ear starts to hurt. I have things to do. A lot of my buddies feel the same way. Glad to see I am not alone on here too. I hopes this helps.
 jmmachg
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/10/2006 1:14:13 AM
Some guys do, I guess it's just whether we have anything to say. I have had lots of phone dates last more than 3hrs. The last woman I talked to before we met for the first time talked on the phone 3 times that totalled about 17hrs. The only problem I have with the phone dating is that it's easy to build a relationship by talking on the phone, but if you meet and then there's no connection it's been a waste of time and generally both are left with this empty feeling because you had such great conversations and then "boom" it's over. It's definitely weird because you both know very intimate details of the others life and have a lot to talk about when you meet but quite awkward because the chemistry from the phone calls doesn't carry over into the real world.
 hamtaro
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2008 11:21:38 PM
Shitty cell phone billing rates.

I prefer the phone, but due to current living situation (landlord wont allow us our own phones) , I'm not really in a position to chat for hours.

*ACTUALLY* if more women would use things like skype, ventrillo or voice over IP we could talk for ages over IM, I would prefer that over IMing since it would leave my hands free to do minor work at the same time :)
 platypus_man
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 6:05:21 AM
Women just love to chat endlessly, with no end in sight. For the most part, if we can enjoy looking at you while you ramble on, we can wait until you get to the point of whatever it is that you are trying to say. On the phone, all we can do is stare off into space, or at another pretty woman, which distracts us from what you are saying, then you get pissed because we aren't paying attention to all the verbage you are spewing out while saying nothing in particular. If you ever notice, a woman's text messages, emails and letters usually get 'to the point' a lot quicker than her conversational style does. THAT'S why we prefer to communicate with you in print/text rather than on the phone or on a chat line; too much detritus there.
Posted: 9/8/2008 8:03:27 AM
^^^^^^ I can't really improve on what he said. So I will just back it up. That is exactly how I feel about the stupid phone. My convos with my guy friends consist of "hey, this happened. Lets do this. Lets do it at this time. Bye"

Girls always think I don't like them anymore just because I don't want to spend 2 hours on the phone telling them how much I like them. Sheesh.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why dont guys want to talk on the phone?