Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Differences between Americans and Canadians      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
Differences between Americans and CanadiansPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
This may seem counter intuitive, but Canadians are more conservative than Americans. We did not come into being through revolution, we don't celebrate or encourage radicalism as much. You see in business how much more frustrating and slow business is done in Canada. On the upside though, our sports heroes are polite and decent. Terrell Owens or Ray Lewis would never have grown up in Canada; but neither would Mohammed Ali. That kind of sums up what I think about it - Canadians just don't get as bad or as good as our neighbours.
 Jiperly
Msg: 7
Differences between Americans and Canadians
Posted: 9/21/2006 1:50:29 PM
In Canada, we use Milk Bags,not Milk Cartons. We place the bags in containers, slit a corner open, and pour it in that- typically, they come in a package of 3 bags, with a Litre per bag.

Also, in Canada, it's typically customary to remove ones shoes upon entering a persons home.

And, at least on this side of Canada we call Pop Pop, not Soda(although its not a rule in either Canada or the US, from what I've heard)
 darjeeling
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2006 3:51:28 PM
Hmmm ... well, here's something I don't talk much about, but being roughly 50% Native definitely impacts my views of America.

First off, it inculcates suspicion of any American governance, and for those who might not understand why ... try reading 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee' written from the perspective of a native culture looking east ... and witnessing endless waves of foreign colonization moving deeper into ones homeland from the east. Secondly, the US government did not enter into a single treaty with Americas first citzens that they did not ultimately break.

Even today many in America's native population are in dire straits, not all tribes benefit from lucrative gaming contracts. A case in point, the Lakota (Sioux), probably one of the best known tribes where the decendents of Red Cloud, Sitting Bull, and Crazy Horse now live in abject poverty. Going to the Pineridge Reservation is like going into a third world country, no industry, widespread alcoholism, and now drug use is rampant.

To even get there requires one drives for about 50 miles down, rib jostling, suspension busting, gravel graded washboard roads, lined periodically with the bullet riddled rusting hulks of abandoned vehicles left years ago along the roadsides. Many of the older homes actually still have dirt floors, stray and emaciated dogs are everywhere, and lots of fiercest looking men, the ones who most resemble the pictures of former chiefs, are raging drunks ... truly it breaks ones heart.

Many do not realize that natives were not allowed to practice their traditional languages or honor their spiritual traditions until fairly recently. The Sun Dance was not formally allowed to be practiced until 1978, I believe.

One of the most beautiful places in all of America, the Black Hills, (Paha Supa to the natives) is mainly one big tourist trap and a revenue stream for white business owners selling Black Hills Gold (please don't buy it). Anyway for Lakotas, Paha Supa is more than just a pretty place, it is the focal point for their spritual work and beliefs, a living temple and altar. The US illegally annexed the Black Hills in 1875 and to this day the Lakota will not accept subsequent Court decisions that they be financially compensated for the land stolen plus interest. For those who might be interested in the history behind this dispute: http://www.hanksville.org/daniel/lakota/BlackHills.html

(There are some nice pictures if you click on the link Day 7 at the bottom of the page)

Well, enough of that, with the added comment that from what I understand Canadians have been a lot kinder to their native populations than America ever was.

America now seems to me to be quite lost ... I don't know, maybe it was always this way.

We are in the grip of endlessly competitive cycles to acheive ... every aspect of American life is driven by competition ... concepts of cooperation are almost foreign ... materialism is rampant, and folks are judged exclusively on their material success. Folks aren't really friendly anymore ... they might seem to be initially, but nobody goes very far out of their way. Everybody is busy getting theirs. We seem to be ruled along in our personal lives by a fairly harsh rendering of social darwinism. Nastiness succeeds.

Really its depressing. I should probably move to Canada, more open space and the people seem nicer, and for the most part a good bit smarter.

Edit: Just noticed a post a few back saying Canadians say they are sorry waaaay too much. Thats not much of a problem down here, saying you are sorry is viewed as capitulation and a sign of having a weak character.

darjeeling
 darjeeling
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2006 4:10:04 PM

Americans rarely give it a second thought.

And then they mention it as though their lack of cultural curiosity is something to be proud of.

See what I mean ... nastiness in America is viewed as a virtue akin to cleverness, is rewarded and succeeds.

From one American to my Canadian cousins, I am not proud of these folks.

darjy
 malibu65
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/21/2006 4:41:57 PM
Canada seems to mostly mind their own business-I wish the USA would.
Americans act like everything that happens to them affects everyone and nobody else has ever had had to deal with that problem (ex-9/11)

so here is my 2 cents worth...lets leave 9/11 out of this ,Americans were just as patriotic before that dreadful day. also no no one has had to deal with what happened on that day except for the African Nations who had bombings at the embasy, so yea we do as Americans think it should affect others because it is just the begining of what could happen to another country..the old saying live and learn comes into play....

canada does not mind it's own business, if they did they wouldn't be in afganistan.

why is it that canadian's feel the need to say they are sorry so much...do u feel that u/your country has done something wrong ...

as Americans we may not always agree with war but we support our boy's overseas or where ever they are deployed to and we grieve when they don't come home

I have seen so many threads on here about how hateful Americans are, but yet all this bashing comes from canadians...(hum is that being a kinder more peace loving nation)

Americans can walk around with guns...to this statatment I say NO...we can not walk around with guns, in the states one must obtain a permit to carry a gun and this is not legal in all states and th gun must be seen at all times..

Canadians are proud but not arrogant. Americans could learn a thing or two.
I would rethink that statment also....

Much of that overt patriotism in the US is a lingering effect of 9/11. Prior to that, rarely did you see a private citizen flying a flag at home(unless it was July 4th or Memorial Day) and you NEVER saw flags on cars or lapel pins or clothing. But our ever exploitative corporations flodded the market w/ flag-themed product after 9/11. People felt helpless after what happened and, not knowing what else to do, displayed a flag anywhere they could to show the US was still kicking. All downhill since but that's a well-known story.

I again disagree..we as Americans have always been a patriotic country long before 9/11.. and we have always been proud...
 gentalltheway
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2006 7:28:46 PM
Superiority complex and Arrogance.
 darjeeling
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 2:28:45 PM

In a nearby street, a man barricaded himself inside his apartment with a shotgun. The police simply barricaded off the street, evacuated nearby apartments, and ....waited.
There was no threat to anyone but himself at that point, and no need to risk anyone's life in trying to arrest him. It took a while, but he was placed in custody without a shot being fired by anyone.

I like that ... even the mentally unstable will eventually run out of canned goods, cigarettes, or coffee and need to step out.

darjy
 Jiperly
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/22/2006 5:17:59 PM
Seriously, as a Canadian, I do not appreiciate my fellow countrymens obession with being better than America. You claim they are arrogent and self-rightious- how are you any better?

There are some differences between Canada and America, but it has everything to do with the minor things, and nothing to do with Character- you can just as likely be a Redneck in Canada as you can in America- you can just as likely be arrogent or ignorant in Canada as America. There is no characteristic that Canadians excel at that Americans do not equally excel at.

When I was 1, my parents separated- sometime after that(could have been a year, could have been 5 years), my mother met and fell in love with my Step-Father. He was born an American and raised since 10 as a Canadian(and retains both citizenships)- because of this, as a Canadian, I was literally raised by Americans- my family are Americans, and I cannot remember a Christmas I haven't spend with my extended family in my Step-fathers side- I've worked jobs where I talk for hours on end with Americans and America is the only other country I've ever visited, which I do at least once a year- Hell, the majority of the people I met and befriend online ARE American- and I can say with great certainity that there is no characteristics that Canadians have that Americans do not- I've met Canadian ***holes and Compassionate Americans, just as I've met Selfish Americans and Caring Canadians.

The differences we share are minor- the color of money, the packaging of milk, the behaviour once entering a persons house and the names of Government positions. But as a people? Canadians and Americans are both capible of the same personalities.

And the moment we jump into an arguement that one country is superior to another, is the moment we become petty, arrogent, and self-rightious- reguardless of your nationality.

The people who have turned this into an arguement should be ashamed of yourselves.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 6:52:10 PM

Seriously, as a Canadian, I do not appreiciate my fellow countrymens obession with being better than America. You claim they are arrogent and self-rightious- how are you any better?

Do you honestly think that I care about what a 21 year old kid with basically no life experience thinks? You go work in the US for over 15 years then can come back and post how some can or are obsessed claiming that arrogance towards Canada isn't true.

The people who have turned this into an arguement should be ashamed of yourselves.
Can someone pass me a Kleenex?
 Jiperly
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/22/2006 8:42:15 PM

As demographics there are some. But then western Canada is waaaaay different from eastern Canada. Philosophically.

I disagree. We may like to believe it, but are the "Parire Provinces" alot different than the Midwest America, with all their farmers? Is California all that different than British Columbia? Are the Martimes all that different from the North-Eastern Coast States?

We may have alot that divides us, but its not very uniquely Canadian.

For instance, if the same was taken to Canada, Quebec would have zero say outside of Quebec. Same with the other provinces.

According to Wikipedia*, 39% of Canada is Ontario, 23% of Canada is Quebec, and the other 38% is everyone else in Canada- Now, this may sound fair, but that means that 74% of the landmass is ruled by 26% of landmass. This ammount of land is huge, it covers 7,366,219 km²- thats larger than all of Europe, ruled by a landmass a little bigger than Germany(hey wait a minute....)

*-Yes, that was a disclaimer
 Hozo
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 9:12:05 PM
Only a fraction of the enslaved Africans brought to the New World ended up in British North America-- perhaps 5%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Colonial_America

This is somewhat misleading. Since Canada historically has had roughly 10% of the population of the US, then 5% of of all North American slaves on Canadien land is quite impressive....keeping in mind these other factors:

In 1850, in the USA the population was 23 million people.

3.2 million were slaves

Thats about 12%...vs Canada's 5%...BUT...

The brunt of American slaves were used in the deep agricultural south, with its large plantations & temperate climate. Crops were grown/harvested year round, so slaves were utilised year round. The farther north you ventured, the less slaves were utilised. Few were used in the industrial settings/regions of the northern states. Northern agriculture was seasonal, therefore slaves were less econonically feasible vs. the deep south. The end result of this discrepency, amoung other factors, was the American Civil War.

With that in mind, the farther north you went(Canada), the less agriculture & industry were present, along with much less general population, so in essence you white Dominion Europeans were roughly on par with your American counterparts in exploiting people of colour, with a varience of only a few percentage points & a few decades
 joanie23
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/22/2006 9:14:58 PM
The United States doesn't put up with the crap Canada does.
 Hozo
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2006 12:13:54 AM
I always wondered how much early influence the French had over the shaping of US culture vs. Anglo-Canadien. Remember The US was basically anti-Crown & anti-British well into the 19th century, & that may have played favour in some differences we see today perhaps, along with the differences in "soil" as mentioned earlier
 Jiperly
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/23/2006 1:41:54 AM
Montreal_Guy is right Hozo- there never was slavery in Canada- merely indentured servants.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2006 9:24:38 AM

Get off your high horse. Who are you to dismiss somebody else's opinion in such a high handed fashion?

Awww..A night and not so shinning armour just appeared. I always find it funny when one of you shows up to defend others. Excuse me if I do not value an opinion from a kid who goes to the states for only a few days with his family per year. In fact, this goes for a lot of people in here who will place posts without even been in the US! Once you have live there for a while and take the sarcasm and ignorant jokes about us, then you will have a better idea of what I am talking about. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying that Americans are all be the same..far from it! But a hell of whole lot of them are.

Most Americans who worked in Canada are quite happy with their experience and surprised on the differences we have such as: racism, tolerance and the fact that we don’t have 3 locks on our doors.

Many Canadians obsess over the American's opinions of us. We constantly compare ourselves to them and try to make ourselves feel good by pointing out some of the areas where we feel we are better in. Canadians love to hang on to a lot of our cherished myths.

Many Canadians??? WHAT??? Where the hell did you get that from? Send me some links...proof. I'm sure that most people I would ask their opinion about such a stupid quote will say that they couldn't care less of what Americans thinks of us just as Americans wouldn't care about what we think of them.

If you have an inferiority complex towards Americans, I will be more than happy to suggest you a great doc if you like.

The majority of the world wouldn't be able to tell us apart if it weren't for our "little maple leafs" on our backpacks!

The majority of the world wouldn’t be able to tell ANYONE from anywhere apart since we are multicultural countries anyway!

But then, a good part of the world will treat you differently if you are a Canadian versus an American. Just go to England (the US number one ally) and you will see just how there opinions of Americans differs from Canadians.

By the way, I have been off the American continent quite a few times. Perhaps you should try it once in a while!
 Hozo
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2006 9:36:52 AM
there never was slavery in Canada- merely indentured servants.

Well, a correction to the historical record. We had them too, but not very many.

The original point I was trying to make, which I still believe played a signifigant role, was Canada hadnt the climate nor the agriculturial/industrial base to support slavery in large numbers as the US had.

Were the tables turned & the Dominion enjoyed a temperate climate of the southern US with cash crops such as tobacco & cotton, slavery would have been an issue. Its simple economics that I believe cut across any boundaries.

For example, look south beyond the US border, into the Carribbean & other points south & west. Most lands were under British, French & Spanish rule & slaves were utilised to a greater degree than on US soil. As per the climate theory, cash crops were being grown year round & were more plentiful than even in the deep south US, therefore the higher density of slaves....no matter who their Euro masters were. Not only were Africans imported in large numbers, but they had the added advantage of enslaving the indigineous peoples of the respective regions(i.e. Brasil, etc.), unlike in the US.

Another example would be the tropical Dutch colonies' use of slaves, whilst the less temperate Dutch homeland had few slaves. A very parrallel example of how Canadian climate factored into the slave issue.

Canada's mentality, as in the northern & eastern US states, was they didnt have the same use for slaves as the agri-economic southern states & beyond, therefore they took a more liberal approach to the issue. The farther north(cold) the less need, the farther south(warm) the more need.

My next door neighbor, a lovely woman, is actually a descendent of those slaves taken to the Maritimes.

Same here. I am a product of native Brasilian & their colonial Spaniard & Portuguese slavemasters... amoung other nationalities.

Hozo
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2006 11:28:30 AM
Another strange difference, as I mentioned before, was that direct rejection of Britain. Because of that, Americans have this independant streak, since that European influence never really had a chance to become part of American values.

Yes..I think that plays a huge part in many aspects of our differences. One of the more glaring examples being gun control, gun rights & ownership.The colonies rebelled against the Crown thru bloodshed. Taking up arms was the ideology of the birth of the US; not so as in Canada. Firearms were an important part of both nations with respect to providing food & basic fronteir defence, but in the colonies it went much farther than that.

The US colonies fought the British, with France as her ally, thru state militias & organised fronteirsmen as much as their own standing army., . Canada, on the other hand, was subject to the Crown, with France & its allied Indian nations being a thorn in the side for the most part. The standing armies of the respective motherlands took care of the conflicts.

So it seemed America became a nation thru sheer manfactured will & rebellion against the Crown, whilst Canada became a nation somewhat more passively as a whole. Thats why these differences may still be prevalant today.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/23/2006 1:08:24 PM
American airports are filled with chaos. Cell phones immediately upon arrival, shoving others to get to the exit door first, frowns, noise, overall not very condusive to a feeling of "welcome to our state/country/etc."

Canadian airports, quiet. Calm. Friendly. Overall very welcoming.

For some reason it does appear that Canadians age better than we Americans. Maybe it's lack of constant worry about the state of our country, our health, our Keeping Up With The Joneses mentality ~ or maybe it's just a misguided assumption on my part. I do think Canadians (on the whole) look healthier, take better care of themselves, etc.

Canadians are without a doubt, much more open-minded. My goodness, there are times when I wonder how I was mistakenly put here ~ such bigots, such hate, such overwhelmingly closed-minds.

I don't see Canadians as being followers like many Americans. If it is stated on our news, it is fact here ~ damn it. And don't try to telling them differently, because you are full of crap because no one in our government would lie to the American people. D'oh!!!

My list goes on and on and on and on. Great thread OP!!
 gentalltheway
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2006 2:51:07 PM

We get American TV on our cable too.....but I did hear that you guys
don't get CBC on regular cable.

They don't get ANY Canadian stations at all nor by cable or satellite.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2006 5:06:17 PM

Your racism is alive and well.

I never said that racism didn't exist in Canada. You will find racism all over the world BUT it cannot be compared to the US...ever! Even the Black communities in and around Detroit only have to cross a bridge and they will be the very first ones to tell you about how different it is only a mile or so from Detroit.

Some will say the racism is predominant in the Southern States. Well, just go to Montana, Idaho (northern mainly) and Washington and you will be amazed on how strong it is in those States. In fact, Spokane has over 200,000 in population and you could walk around the city for days without seeing one Black man. If you do find one, he or she is probably from out of town
 mungojoe
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/31/2006 6:33:08 PM

That tells me that the Conservative/Middle of the Road American does not have as much in common with Canadians as the Democrats do.

Canadians and Americans have far more in common than you think and that comes from the personal experience of a native Texan who chooses to live in Canada.

The primary difference lies in what could best be described as the role and responsibility of the 'haves' to the 'have nots' and this is seen in the differing approaches to foreign policy/relations and domestic social/economic policy. 90% of American Democrats would be seen as conservative in Canada so you can imagine where the conservative American fits on those kinds issues. Where those kinds of issues are concerned, Canadians are far more concerned with being seen as "the pot calling the kettle black" than most Americans are ('talk the talk and walk the walk' applies to far more than just military affairs).

The forums here seem to focus on the negative USA affairs

Most Canadians (but not all) can barely fathom a foreign policy/relation that involves giving to someone with the right hand while holding a gun to their head with the left hand, let alone find justification for doing so.

Make no mistake about it, Canadians recognizes the immense good that can come from the US but it truly is a case of the 'wages of sin' weighing more heavily than the lightness of the 'rewards of righteousness' can compensate for.

And, I would dare say, that the majority of the rest of the world sees things in a similar way. This is really the only rational explanation for the regular and constant focus on the negative aspects. Having lived around the world (the US, Canada, Europe, Asia) I have experienced this from both sides and that has led to this realization. It has become obvious (to me at least) that the only way to avoid that realization is to assume that everyone else is either jealous, envious or "hates the American way of life".

It is a situation that will not change but will only get worse until Americans, as a people, are prepared to stand up to their government and say "not in my name" over the negative elements of 9largely corporate backed) US government policy.
 msquared
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2006 8:04:26 PM

The forums here seem to focus on the negative USA affairs and if we want to participate/interact on forums, those are the topics for discussion. What's strange is the threads seem to be started either by a Canadian or liberal American. The Republican and/or Third Party belief does not carry much of a presence here.

Things aren't as negative to the US as you think. After reading this post, I checked the front page of this particular forum. There were 22 threads. Of them, nine could be viewed as criticism of the United States. Of these nine, it would be a stretch to consider three of them as criticism, and four of the others are definitely focused on the Bush government. Three of the threads could be considered critical of liberalism, and two of those would be a stretch to consider it so. And finally, two of the threads were critical of Canada.
 msquared
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2007 6:39:41 AM
Buzzard, please give us a cite to back up your claims.
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/2/2007 10:02:10 AM
"the differences between us as people"

We're catching up to the Americans, but they're still amply in the lead for obesity. I'd like to think we're more health conscious on average, but, I'm not so sure. My perspective is warped, as I'm in a tourist destination city, so tend to see lots of examples of American obesity taken to extremes (I've concluded, that healthier Americans like to travel less than the obese ones, or, the obese ones outnumber the healthy ones).

If we're talking as a people (our nations as a whole):

Our political systems are very different at the highest levels. The consequences of that difference have impacted the 'common man' (it's a 'grass roots' level phenomena): Americans focus more than we do on the man in power instead of the office. I suspect, they think the same of us.

Would only a third country really notice something like that fairly? I suggest natives from France or Germany, would render a fair enough assessment, as they'd not have our problem of trees obscuring the forest.

The U.S. appears to be ruled pretty much by lobbyists. I'm wary of our country's following that lead by appearing to allow our own corporate lobbyists (many of which represent branches of American corporations with a 'controlling' interest) to have more influence with our government. Corporations have too big an edge over various 'rights' groups already, imo. I treasure Canada's present 'difference' on this score, and hope we retain it.

Certainly, our crime rates lag that of the Americans, by twenty years or so. Which isn't saying much, but, it's something.

[apologies for duplicating any others' identical thoughts already expressed here, but, in my role as newcomer to this topic, I'm responding directly to the OP's #1 post, as the forum guidelines suggest, near as I can make out, and haven't read the other posts yet]
 msquared
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2007 8:24:41 PM

To msquared: Glad too......Softwood industry....try these:

Looked through them. So we are supposed to believe the Canadian lumber companies are practicing unfair business because of the accusations of US competitors? Especially being as almost every ruling made so far in this issue has been in favor of Canada?

And being as you made no mention of the other claims you made earlier, does that mean you are retracting them?
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Differences between Americans and Canadians