Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > single mom with wiccan beliefs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SoCal1972
Msg: 2
single mom with wiccan beliefsPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I woulnt push any religion on her, espcially at that age.

Show by example, but let her path with the Divine develop naturally.
 woodrow9876
Msg: 4
view profile
History
moonlight
Posted: 3/19/2005 9:53:52 PM
You know, I think there's a couple of points that really ought to be made, in the interests of my not reading these posts and being able to stop wondering if part of the wiccan belief system includes the requirement that its members have the intelligence of the chalk they use to scrawl their little 'circles'....

First...I get the sense that you're just pulling a few legs in the interest of proving...of christ, I don't know, in the interest of yanking a couple christian chains..."the father is into dark magick"? Oh, that's priceless... Let me be clear here...the father is no more into 'dark magick' (sic) than you are into Wiccan beliefs if you're seriously asking a dating site's religious forums how you can balance the conflicting issues surrounding your spiritual pursuits as it pertains to infant participation in wicca.

Of course, you know that most major book stores have an entire section dedicated to this, right? "Wiccan pseudo-ceremonies, and infant participation when the other parent believes in the magic of the dark arts" is usually how it's labelled. Right next to the "Give me a f*cking break" section and the "When you are so desperate for attention that you'll say ANY f*cking thing" section.

Secondly...let's assume this incredibly important issue is seriously weighing on your mind. You know your child's development at this point includes a sense of when they need to sh!t, eat, and they could care less about circles, squares and Wicca for them is the same as "goo goo" and "gaa gaa". If you're taking any 10 month old child to any religious ceremony and trying to 'incorporate' them into things, you really have to understand that the only person you are doing this for is you. Not the child. You're trying to impress someone, even if it is just you and your own personal idea of what god is.

So, your rituals require concentration huh? I'm guessing this is because the father is busy sending evil 'dark' vibes your way?

Do your little wicca thing, honey chile, get the kid to a babysitter and do that simba-circle-of-life thing to your heart's content.
 a_vamp
Msg: 5
moonlight
Posted: 3/19/2005 10:01:18 PM
Craww, there's nothing scary about Wicca...

However, Poetic, I must agree with some of us here that your baby is indeed too young to be introduced to any religion. Give her some time. She's living with you I assume. Well then you're at the benefit of being able to be by her side to teach her to be a good person - not just religiously.

Is her father attempting to rope her into the dark arts now? I mean, did he actually gestured any such intentions or are you just thinking that he will? If he's not living with the baby and he'd never mentioned that he's going to introduced your child to the dark arts, relax dear... Life as a single mum with a 10-months-old is stressful enough on its own - regardless of race, language or religion.

As for the practice of your religion, is there anyway your Circle can help you with information and resources while you practise like a Solitaire witch until you find a reliable person to take care of your baby so that you can participate in rituals again?

Ariel
 a_vamp
Msg: 7
moonlight
Posted: 3/19/2005 10:27:40 PM
Hi Steve.

No, I'm not a Wiccan. I'm Roman Catholic - by choice. Was born into a family full of Taoists.

Regards,
Ariel
 a_vamp
Msg: 8
moonlight
Posted: 3/19/2005 10:32:36 PM
Hmm... If you have custody of the baby, I think you should have full say in anything concerning the baby - which childcare she goes to eventually, what classes she attends and WHO is allowed to see the baby and whether its with or without your presence.

I'm not a Wiccan and do not know anything about your country's law. Just wanna give you a pat on the shoulder as it tough being mummy - even if not alone...
 woodrow9876
Msg: 9
view profile
History
singavamp
Posted: 3/20/2005 9:38:13 AM
Craww, way to go.

Of course, there's nothing scary about any religion, depending on how you apply it all...

And yes, incorporating a 10 month infant is scary...

Your solution, not only would be a marvellous alternative for the person in question, but in my books, probably a great idea for all of us (breastfeeding excepted, unless that's your thing...)
 SoCal1972
Msg: 10
single mom with wiccan beliefs
Posted: 3/20/2005 9:52:16 AM
Also, shes flying solo.

She has no coven to speak of most times. She is just probably lighting candles, dong spells, etc.

That probably isnt anything to hide, but on the same note, I wouldnt be makeing the child have anything to do with the rituals per say. If they take too much of your attention, I suggest working in the astral/mental and doing your work there. Its just as effective.
 a_vamp
Msg: 12
singacamp
Posted: 3/20/2005 6:38:29 PM
Dear Craww,

Hmm... I really don't find there's anything scary about Wicca or Wiccan belief... I'd gone to our library and bookstores to read up any subjects I'm interested in. The internet is another source. Not that I will practise the religion but no harm learning a bit extra eh?

Or perhaps its due to being brought up in a place of colourful culture. I'm quite used to seeing different types of rituals being performed in public - as long as the religion is alloowed by our government. So yeah, nothing scary really...

Ariel
 a_vamp
Msg: 13
singavamp
Posted: 3/20/2005 9:01:48 PM
Hahaha... "Singavamp"... Thanks for the new ID Craww! Might wanna get my friend who's good at drawing Japanese Manga to create an icon outta that ;)

And ya... I understand where ya coming about the baby...
 SoCal1972
Msg: 23
singavamp
Posted: 3/24/2005 8:29:29 PM
wow,

his comments wernt negative at all. Ya just blew all crediblity with me. Check yerself about your delusions of persecution before you think at all about influencing your kid. If there was a reason for adoption.....

Anyway, I suppose now your going to try and hex me or something else. scary.

Dont worry about teaching your kid. This is likely a phase you will grow out of in a few months. Sigh.
 SoCal1972
Msg: 24
singavamp
Posted: 3/24/2005 8:34:12 PM
np.

sometimes i think the happybunnypaganswhoneedtobeattackedbytheevilchristians are about as bad as the biblebangingimrightandifyoudontthinksojesusissendingyourasstohellwithmycompliments types. Nice to see someone with a cool head.
 SoCal1972
Msg: 26
singavamp
Posted: 3/24/2005 9:06:48 PM
I like multisyllabalic words, even if i have to make them up.
 ElementalAngel
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Wicca
Posted: 4/5/2005 1:27:39 PM
Dreamer :) concerning the issue of your child, I will suggest bringing her up with the knowledge of Wicca but the freedom to choose what path she will, let her know the beauty that is Wicca, she will decide what path she wants to start on :) and the best thing that you can do is support that.

As for the father and being into dark magick, I would keep her as far away from that as possible, that is the absolute LAST thing that you need to subject a child to, especially one that young.

Other than that the only thing that I can suggest is have fun! you have a daughter who is a blessing from the Great Mother, enjoy her!

Good Luck :)
 yelnatsgib
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/19/2006 2:28:52 PM
introduce her to christianity. now do you want to ****
 crazychristy266
Msg: 33
singavamp
Posted: 7/20/2006 1:26:11 PM
if those are ur beliefs then why would she be too young to be exposed to them? other religions expose their children to theirs when they are first born. why would it be any different?
 Lil Red Riding Hood
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/25/2006 2:57:19 PM
As a Wiccan myself, I find alot of comments on this thread offensive.

Do you NOT take a child, from DAY ONE, to church, in the Catholic or whatever other religions ?

All three of my sons, aged 11, 9 and 7 are involved in our religion.

OP....get a few books of Amazon, Wicca For Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice (For Beginners), The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca, or Family Wicca: Practical Paganism for Parents And Children.

I have all three books and love them.
 Shylent
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 6:24:20 PM
When your girls are ready and with children being the incredibly imaginative and curious creatures that they are.
They will ask YOU all kinds of questions about things like god, spirituality, death, life, and the meaning of it all, yes they even will ask about magick and if it is real or not.
It would be fairly safe to say though that you wont have to worry about such questions until they have spent some time in school at the very least.

Basically.. when the time is right you will know and know what to do for starters though, you can do everything in your power as a mom to encourage their imagination.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > single mom with wiccan beliefs