Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Spelt flour recipes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whatzup40
Msg: 1
Spelt flour recipesPage 1 of 1    
I'm in the process of creating a spelt flour recipe book and I would greatly appreciate any of your outstanding recipes. If you have any tips or suggestions, I would love to hear from you.
 Hozo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Spelt flour recipes
Posted: 9/30/2006 12:24:30 AM
Wow..you are the only other person Ive ever heard mention SPELT flour.

I know what it is & have bought Spelt pasta before, but cannot find spelt flour in my area. Ive never used it. I would assume it would basically be a direct replacement for whole wheat flour or quinoa flour in those recipes, NOT white flour...different consistency, density & fibre.

If the rest of the planet is anything like my area, you wont find anyone with spelt recipes to post due to lack of Spelt flour!!
 junipermoon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Spelt flour recipes
Posted: 9/30/2006 5:40:33 AM
i use spelt flour much as i do wheat flour. keep in mind, though, spelt is not completely gluten-free.

when making bread, i follow my basic bread recipe, only i set a sponge with 1/2 the ingredients first. next day, i mix the remainder and proceed as usual to get a higher volume and finer crumb. you can try using 1/2 whole grain spelt with 1/2 white spelt too.

happy baking & welcome to speltland.
 whatzup40
Msg: 4
Spelt flour recipes
Posted: 9/30/2006 10:02:45 AM
If you haven't tried spelt flour before, I strongly suggest that you do... It has such a pleasant mild nutty flavor and is naturally sweeter then wheat flour. It is the oldest grain known to mankind, grown as far back as 5000 BC. Unfortunately with that kind of history, it is still not a familiar food to modern cooks today but forecasts show that over the past several years, spelt is making a comeback... It contains more protein, fat, crude fibre and also contains large amounts of Vitamin B-17 (anti-carcinoma). It also consists of a special carbohydrate called mucopolysaccharides, which has a decisive role in stimulating the body's immune system, helping to increase its resistance to infection and also plays a role in the blood clotting process. These vital nutrients that I just mentioned are absorbed quickly by the body, due to spelts higher water solubility. I've completely stopped using wheat flour and now I'm substituting all my recipes using spelt... Just remember to use a bit less liquids in whatever recipe you are substituting spelt flour for because spelt requires significantly less liquids to create a soft, pliable dough or batter.
I have a farmer friend who grows and mills organic spelt and he is a lot cheaper then purchasing it from the Health Food Store... I know in the past he has deliver and even ship larger quantities out of province.
I hope I've encouraged you to try the oldest, tastiest secret to healthy eating!
 junipermoon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Spelt flour recipes
Posted: 10/2/2006 3:44:50 PM
i get it through a co-op, but you can probably order it through baker's catalogue dot com.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 6
whatzup40
Posted: 8/25/2007 10:04:22 AM
If the OP is looking for spelt recipes, she's not needing anything gluten free, as spelt has gluten. There are many of us who aren't celiac, but still do NOT do well with wheat. I was a bad girl last night and had regular wheat pizza- 13 hours later I still feel like I ate a brick and have NO appetite... And it's not an allergic reaction either, as it doesn't affect histamines. It's an "intolerance".

anyways

.~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~..~^~.

"Heroin Cookies"

2/3 cup butter
2 cups packed yellow sugar
2 eggs
2 2/3 cup spelt flour (whole or sifted)
1 tsp EA. baking soda and powder
1/4 bag Chipits Milk Choco chips
1/4 bag Chipits Semi-sweet Choco Chips
1/4 bag Chipits White Choco chips
1/4 bag Chipits Buttersccotch chips

Blend wet ingredients in bowl til creamy. In Separate bowl, combine dry ingredients minus the chips. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet. Once all mixed, add the chips into the dough. Spoon onto baking sheets and bake 8-12 on 350 until golden. Remove and cool. (VITAL to use Chipits chips as no name chips just do not cut it.)
.~^~.

"Spiced Oatmeal Cake"

1/2 cup soft butter
2 eggs
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cups apple juice
2 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon (or more if you like)
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

for topping:
1/2 cup butter,
4 tbsp cream,
1/2 cup br sugar,
1/2 cup white sugar,
1 cup shredded coconut.
1 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup diced apples

Boil apple juice, then pour over oats. Let sit for 15-20 min. Mix remaining dry ingredients together. In separate bowl, beat butter and sugar til combined. Add eggs one at a time. Then, alternate adding flour mixture and oatmeal mixing after each addition. Pour into a parchment lined 10x15 pan. Bake for 30-40 min at 350. Once cooked, let cool for an hour, then spread topping on top. You can broil the topping or let it cool and solidify.

for topping: in saucepan melt butter and cream, add sugar, stir til dissolved, then add remaining ingredients. Stir a little more, then remove from heat and spread on cake.

You can also add a little rum to either the topping or the cake...

"Bailey's Brownies"

3/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup bailey's
1 cup chipits minis
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Melt butter. Blend in sugar and cocoa til combined, add eggs. In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add bailey's to milk. Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients to butter mix. Pour batter into a 15x10 greased dish, bake at 350 for 15-20 min.

That's all I'm willing to share at this point... can't give away all my secret recipes ;)
But, keep in mind that you can use spelt flour in almost every recipe that isn't "light" flavoured without anyone really noticing. Spice cakes, rum cakes, carrot cakes, gingersnaps, brownies, fruitcakes, etc., etc.,
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Spelt flour recipes