Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Long hair on older women      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Long hair on older womenPage 1 of 42    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

Keep in mind that long hair can be a pain in the a** and takes daily upkeep
I don't spend any more time on my hair now when it's long than when it was short. It gets washed when it needs it which is convenient that I bathe regularly ...the shampoo I use often contains the conditioner, but even if it didn't, adding that step while in the shower only takes a few seconds and so no extra work there ... I do not ever ... ever use a blow dryer or curling iron on my hair ... that will ruin it ... make it dry and brittle. My hair is naturally wavey and falls into little ringlets when wet and left unattended.

Do the majority of women over 40 still look good with long(er) hair? How long or how short?
I think most women over 40 want to be attractive and have found that most make good decisions about their hair whether it be long or short.

At what age should/would women "give up the locks" to remain attractive and "in style"?
First ... who says women have to "give up the locks" to remain attractive? I don't think all women should have to "give up the locks" for "in style" purposes. Second ... I can't stand that there are people out there who want to push their ideas on others about "style" ... let them dress and do their hair as they please but leave me out of it.

Ladies, if you keep your hair long, is it because YOU want to or because the guys all fantasize about the long locks?
I keep my hair long because nothing feels sexier or makes me feel more feminine than the feel of my hair as it brushes across my shoulders when the wind blows through it. I've never met a man who doesn't find it nice and most enjoy putting their hands in it's softness.
 moraima
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 6:17:20 AM
I have very long hair and am in my 50's. My hair is too long to curl (hair longer than my ages can reach with a curling iron), but I don't want to curl it anyway. I wash and go. I find it much easier to take 2 seconds to tie my hair up, than to have it shorter, and have to spend time styling it. I really don't like my hair in my face when I move around don't physical work. If my hair was shorter, it would be falling in my face. I can't imagine using hairspray to keep it in one place.

Men seem to like long hair on women, but that has no influence in my decision to keep it long.

I often hear people say that women over 30 shouldn't have long hair. I think that is just another one of the many rules that make no sense.
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 8
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 7:27:24 AM
Long hair on younger women-
Long hair on older women-
Short hair on older women-

THREAD SEARCH- Do one
 Krekker50
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 10:06:07 AM
Well I do like long hair, but short hair is sexy too.
 moraima
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 11:41:27 AM
Loss of skin tone, over weight, wrinkles, bags and discoloration on eyes make people took older. Scruffy hair long or short looks bad. In some cultures, women cut their hair short at age 30, and keep it that way. I won't date men with long hair (even when I was young).

Some of us enjoy living with long hair not matter what our age.

My only problem with my long hair is that some time, if it is windy, when I get into my vehicle, and close the door that the wind catches my hair in the door frame.

My two best friends (28 & 41) also have long hair, but not as long as mine. They often comment that my hair is much healthier than theirs. Healthy hair is about diet, genetics etc, not age.

Even though I am in my 50's, I don't have any grey. It I was dying my hair to hid grey, I might not keep it long.

Funny -------- I have friends from 28 to 60, and 75% of us have long hair.

The idea that I would please anyone but myself with the length that I choose to wear my hair is just wrong.
 roseopal
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 1:46:04 PM
This is my what I think, that is if anyone really cares :) once a woman hits 60, I dont think she should wear her hair long or her skirts too short, especially if she looks her age and long hair looks worse when it turns a funny shade of gray. I guess it depends on how good you think you look, whatever length of hair you have- bottom line is, wear your hair in the style that you think looks best on you and who the heck cares what anyone thinks- you can't enjoy life if you try to please other people or give a darn what other people think. DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU !!!
 joanne52
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 4:39:40 PM
im 52 going to be 53 an i have long hair..you tell me what u think
 Hozo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 5:46:27 PM
Of course I love longer hair on women of any age, but especially older.

It seems you see more women 50+ years of age with long hair than you ever saw from our parents generation at the same age. I think its related to being a baby boomer & growing up in the 60s. Women of our parents generation automatically cut their hair after 30 or so & morphed into that familiar looking bubble-do similar to Mama on the Carol Burnett Show. It seemed a rite of passage into middle age, & to me it seemed to define that you WERE middle aged.

A middle aged woman with longer hair looks & seems younger to me versus the short bubble-do wearers.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 16
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 5:46:29 PM
...Hair length is something very personal....I prefer a shorter style and have always worn my hair to suit myself and not public opinion. Look at Haley Berry, she looks fantastic with short hair, I noticed that she has either grown it or has extentions now but in my opinion, she looks better with it cropped short. Men probably won't agree. Most of the fellas I've known over the years like the ladies with longer locks.

...maeflowers
 auburntop
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 8:41:48 PM
I had long hair but it was a pain. I was too exhausted to do anything else. There is the expense. It is expensive to maintain long hair and it will bankrupt you if you do beauty trips on a regular basis. I decided that the long hair belongs on the younger ladies and as you get older the hair does get shorter. I have seen long blonde hair on a 70 year old woman but it does not look becoming, on the other hand I have seen it on a 70 year old man and, enough said.....

But truly, I have noticed that the ladies as they age, start to entertain the styles of shorter hair. They are the ones that look classy and presentable, and with substance between the ears. Not to mention that our bodies do not have that kind of energy to raise the arms, bend over to dry, and sometimes you need help getting back up.

That was a good topic. You have no idea how many times that has come to my mind when I sit there and people watch.
 Beauwood
Msg: 22
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 10:28:10 PM
A woman should be able to wear her hair the way that SHE wants, regardless of age. I think the statement that older women shouldn't wear their hair long is insulting and ridiculous.
 cotter
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/2/2006 10:48:00 PM
I get my hair whacked off every once in a while ... I'll have to dig up a picture and post it. My hair grows so doggone fast though ... I end up having to go get it trimmed every three weeks ... easier and cheaper to let it grow. Glad that with all the natural waves that it looks nice either short or long.

tinyelfmomma
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/3/2006 9:10:53 AM
Women over 40 with long hair are not necessarily attempting to hold onto their youth. I just hit the big 5-0 this year, and all my life, my mother kept my hair cut off short because it was thick and I was extremely tender headed and hated for her to brush or comb it. I've had it long now for over ten years, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I made the mistake of going to one of those chain salons for a trim (when my hair was all the way to my waist), and I told the girl not to cut the back (at the time, I wore the top short, the back long [yeah, a mullet]), and before I even knew what was happening, she had cut over 4 inches off the back of my hair! I was livid, and refused to pay her, even threatened to sue her. I have bleached it blonde for many years, but it was too harsh on my hair, so now I keep it kind of dark with highlights, and I like it that way. I don't do it for anybody but me. I wear it down; I wear it up, and I even wear it under a ball cap occasionally! When it's short, it sticks out every where, so long is best for me. It's still thick, even though it doesn't look it, so it surprises people when they think it's thin, only to put their fingers in it and find out it's not! I'd rather wear a cap or a ponytail than have my hair sticking out and up. It's not an age thing, it's a personal preference thing. Plus, I love the way it flows around when I'm on the dance floor!!!
 texasbaby
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/5/2006 2:41:04 PM
I love mine long,,, and it is very long. I don't care what someone else considers proper for me,,, they are free to think what they choose. At 58, more and more of my choices have become all about me, me, me,,, what makes me happy. I'd never cut it for someone else, just as I'm not wearing it long for anyone else.
Just my $.02 worth.

fkf
 moraima
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/5/2006 7:36:31 PM
OMG, I had 4" cut off my hair tonight. I must be having a midlife crisis.
 Tigress
Msg: 43
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/7/2006 5:18:07 PM
I don't think that long hair is any more trouble. Mine isn't extremely long, but it's not much trouble at all.

I don't FEEL as attractive or as feminine with short hair.

I find that most men prefer it longer also.

I'm nearing 45, and I get compliments on my hair a lot.

I don't think there should be an age that anyone should get their hair cut.

The statement about older women not looking good with hair just hanging down the sides of their head, well, most people don't look good with it like that. It needs some kind of style.
 moraima
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/7/2006 8:04:10 PM
Disclaimer: I may have long hair, but I am not nor have I ever been "a bit of foo foo femininity".

Long hair is not an indication that a women is a fluff brain or high maintenance.
 debseyes
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/8/2006 4:29:54 AM
Long, short or missing. Honestly does it really matter? Does hair style make what's inside a person? Just something to think about.
 moraima
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/8/2006 12:59:34 PM
Maybe we look older because we are older, whether our hair is long or short

Guess what - most of us a happy with who we are.
 11gemini11
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/8/2006 2:24:47 PM
yes,I like longer hair on older women,as long as it looks nice,and feels nice to touch.
 angelgigi
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/14/2006 11:41:30 AM
I have long hair and I'm 48. I have it because I love it. It has nothing to do with what a man thinks about it. Having said that, every man who sees my profile comments on how much they love my long red hair. When meeting me in person they reiterate that comment and say it looks better than the picture. Yes, it does require alot of upkeep, but for me, its worth it.
I have no idea why people would say that after a certain age you should cut your hair, its all about upkeep and grooming. Long, stringy, greasy locks look bad at any age.
 Dandylover
Msg: 55
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/16/2006 5:43:07 PM
I recently cut all my hair off AND dyed it dark (from blonde) and the overwhelming consensus from everyone who knows me says it makes me look YOUNGER, not older! And I'll go for that ANYTIME! LOL!
 cotter
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 10/27/2006 9:41:58 PM
I love my long hair ...

I wear my hair to please me ... but have to honestly say that since it's so easy to manage whether it's long or short ... I'd be tempted to wear my hair to please my man.
 moraima
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 11/3/2006 6:14:42 AM
A month ago, I had 5" cut off my hair, and I am still regretting it. It was down to my butt, now it is down to the middle of my back. I wanted to loose the layered look, and have it cut straight across. At the time, I thought that I would try it, after all it would grow back. When I am working I liked to put it into a ponytail, then flip it through the ponytail elastic again, so that from the top of my head to my shoulders, my hair would appear to be loose, while still fastened with the band. Now it is too short to do that. Darn. Actually, my hairdresser had be suggesting that I cut it a bit shorter for months. Oh well, now I know for sure that I prefer my hair down to my butt. Hair grows at approx. 1/2" a month, 5" = 10 months to get it back to where it was.
 texasbaby
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 11/3/2006 7:35:38 AM
A guy friend who is on this site, recently turned me on to another site, for people who have or like long hair. It's pretty neat ya'll,,, lots of info about care, products, styles, ornaments,,, it's all about hair...
Mine is now past my b*tt and I considered it to be long, but you would not believe some of the hair on this site,,,, I was amazed.
I think I'll just keep mine,,, it suits me... If it doesn't suit you,, who cares,, it simply a matter of personal taste anyway. If you feel better about yourself with short hair,, good for you, wear it that way, I'm sure it looks great!
But, don't try to lump me into some catagory of your choosing with statements about what is age approprate. Hair does not make my face sag causing me to look older,,, that is gravity and age taking charge and I must sadly report to you all, it effects much more than just your face.
I get compliments from the most unexpected sources tho. Not very long ago I was going down an isle in the super market when a young Mom and her little girl of about 5 stopped beside me. The Mom said her little girl really liked my hair, so I spoke to the child thanking her. She looked at me with big blue eyes and said, "Are you a princess?" I loved the compliment and smiled the rest of the day.

fkf
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Long hair on older women