Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Serial Killers ? Born or Made ?? Read the Book And Find Out!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Serial Killers ? Born or Made ?? Read the Book And Find Out!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I enjoy reading true crime stories. I just finished reading "My Life Among the Serial Killers", by
Dr. Helen Morrison and Harold Goldberg. The book tells of her interviews with serial killers, of which she has interviewed more than 80 during her research. Dr. Morrison is a forensic scientist with a law degree and also a Psychiatrist for the defence.Her testimony has been used in many trials of Serial Killers.
In her book, she discusses some of her interviews. She also tells her therioes (based on scientific findings) of what leads one to be a Serial Killer. Dr, Morrison's discusses her belief that serial killers are never psycopaths, nor are they "abused children". Gacy, one of the serial killers, whose brain was found to be normal after an autoposy, also leads to her beliefs. Her belief is that it is in the genes. She believes one is a serial killer before he/she is born. Her belief is not only due to her scientific research but findings of Dutch geneticist, Hans Brunner on gene research and other studies she has researched regarding serial killers.
If we are to believe her theory regarding one being a serial killer before they are born,think of the many legal aspects and laws this would involve if a woman were told she is carrying a Serial Killer. Is our Society ready to accept this theory of Morrison's if it is proved beyond doubt ?
Dr. Morrison is an expert on Serial Killers and has over thirty years of experience, who are we to argue she is not correct in her findings ? Her goal is to discover why they are compelled to murder. She believes the moment of conception it is known if one is a serial killer.
I am not saying I agree or disagree with Dr. Morrison's theory. After reading the book. I thought about how this scientific finding could change the world if it is indeed proven by other Scientists.
Dr. Morrison lives a normal life in a Chicago suburb, where her neighbors and children do not even know what she does for a living. It is hard to imigine someone who keeps a Serial Killer's autopsied brain on her desk as being "normal".
I am a normal person, yet I do enjoy reading about serial killers myself. That certainly does not make me one. (Bet I won't get many emails from fellow POFers that read this thread, however.. lol).
I would just like some feedback on your thoughts regarding her theory.
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Serial Killers ? Born or Made ?? Read the Book And Find Out!
Posted: 10/3/2006 2:02:14 PM
I appreciate the exchanging of authors and books. I will definitely go to the Library and check those out. Also Yna, Thank you for your thoughts on this subject.
It is hard for me to believe Dr. Morrison's belief that serial killers are born. I am not saying if I believe it or not, because I have not read enough on the subject.She believes one is a serial killer as a fetus. as soon as the sperm meets the egg. She does not believe any Social lack of upbringing or abuse creats a serial killer. She also does not believe they are capable of stopping themselves. Her belief is since they lack the part of what it means to be human, they also lack the part that needs treatment, so therefore there is no help for them. They are addicted to killing as an addict is to a drug, yet they do not understand that it is evil.
They suppossedly lack the ability to feel. If this is true, are they not as much a victim as their victims are? Would this not change the way we punish them?
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2006 5:09:17 PM
Coco, in the autopsy Dr. Morrison did on Gacy, his brain was found to be normal, which was a surprize to her. She expected it to show some kind of abnormalty.
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2006 9:38:45 AM
I have no idea what a normal versus abnormal brain looks like. I don't even want to see one.
I certainly can't imigine keeping a brain on my desk as Dr. Morrison does.
I did read that some scientists believe due to the autopsied brain that 35% of serial killers brain waves are different than "normal" peoples. However, right after reading that, I also read another Dr's. "opinion" that we all have what it takes to be a serial killer, we just don't all act on it. I am not saying I agree with these statements. It makes me question even more how much or how little Doctor's really know about serial killers. Personally, I feel they should use them as guinea pigs and do intensive tests on all of them to further science and help stop them. But ... if Dr. Morrison's theory proves to be true, there is no help for them. That brings us again back to the question of, "What do we, as a Society do if we are to believe they are serial killers as a fetus and no help for them"?
 BiChicksRock
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/24/2006 12:22:04 AM
my theory is that most serial killers suffer from mental illness and find themselves in the "right" enviornment to start killing
 Angel Eyes_Sassy Mouth
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/24/2006 6:15:35 AM
Interesting topic. I too have many books written about serial killers. I especially enjoy Anne Rule's books. I just finished reading one about Henry Lee Lucas... written by Dr. Joel Norris...now he was sick! This book "My life among the serial killers"....is another i'll have to get. You can't believe these people only kill because they were physically and emotionally abused. There ARE those who were abused to horrific extent like Lucas who killed his own mother and then there are those like Ted Bundy who had loving parents...excellent job.....Then they say they have split personalities.....many different views as to why these people kill....now they say it's a gene, interesting...i'll have to read it.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Serial Killers ? Born or Made ?? Read the Book And Find Out!