Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > California women: fact or myth?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DreamGuy4Love
Msg: 1
view profile
History
California women: fact or myth?Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Saw that other thread out there so I decided to make a parody.

California women are regarded as being gold-digging, tofu eating, self centered, and shallow than other women in the country (feel free to add stereotypes of your own).

Bear in mind, this is not a sweeping generalization, we're simply saying you encounter more of these stereotypes here than in other places.

From what I've seen (based solely on my college life) it seems to be true, but that's perhaps I live and study in the more "snobby" areas of california. Also, I've noticed that things vary depending on where in california your are. In northern california, people seem to be nicer in general.
 armyguy35
Msg: 2
California women: fact or myth?
Posted: 10/16/2006 2:55:25 AM
actually Ive lived here my entire life, and its true , unfortunately
 armyguy35
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/16/2006 7:40:05 PM
BEERCHIC!!!! Git r dun sweetheart...you are MY kind of woman LOL, too bad im not allowed to message you due to my location
 armyguy35
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/16/2006 11:46:54 PM
I agree with you somewhat dawn...but i dont think beerchics comments were that bad...im sure shes just speaking from experience....isnt that where most stereotypes come from? But I dont udnerstand if women really ARE lookin for guys that arent like the ones you described...why do they ALWAYS pass those guys up?
 armyguy35
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/16/2006 11:47:17 PM
I agree with you somewhat dawn...but i dont think beerchics comments were that bad...im sure shes just speaking from experience....isnt that where most stereotypes come from? But I dont udnerstand if women really ARE lookin for guys that arent like the ones you described...why do they ALWAYS pass those guys up?
 armyguy35
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/17/2006 12:26:47 AM
sorry about that...didnt mean to double post it
 WhereIsTheSuperNo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2006 1:30:22 AM
Ok, I gotta tell you, I've had apartments in 10 states and yes there is a smattering of loony tune gold diggers in LA with really nothing to offer. However, it is not by any means the greatest per capita I've seen, go to ANY coastal Florida city and you'll see what I mean. As far as the other stereotypes, well they might seem more prevalent in the online dating pool because frankly these are considered red flags by a lot of guys. Tofu eating... ie: Vegetarian or vegan, lets face it a rare commodity among straight men, most guys over 25 years old have little interest in the whole restaurant ingredient interview process that comes with this. Shallow, again another quality that'll kick a girl back into play pretty regularly. Self-centered, well duh.

What I see in this city is too many people that either settle for anything, or put themselves in a position of self alienation. It is rare to see a single girl in this town, that is not either in a hurry or if she does settle her stride to the mosey level she's talking on the cell phone, and ironically often about not being able to meet anyone. Yet a whole other cross section seems strangely paired with what seems a completely inappropriate partner. A nice dress and heels with a cuddling arm around the guy in flip-flops and a Schlitz hat.

LA is a hard city to meet people in. One thing I noticed when I moved here originally and was reminded of when I moved back a year and a half ago, is that because the cost of living is higher, other things slip into the realm of insignificance. As a portion of income, entertainment is cheap here, little electronic do-dads are everywhere. Laptops, broadband, TiVo, feature laden cell phones, video games, you name it. It would be hard for a store like Frys to survive in most metro areas, here there are lots of them and we think nothing of it.

So what we DO end up with here that is unique to Southern California is a means of effectively entertaining ourselves until something in our instincts triggers and all of the sudden people get all wigged out and desperate that the other side of the bed is empty. Relationships tend to be more opportunistic here because of this. And because of that women here seem to be either very calculating or an emotional mess and not much in between, but again this is because the society here encourages that. Women here tend to be quite picky and superficially specification oriented when things are going well, but will throw themselves at anything in the vicinity when things are going bad.

So if you are good at being opportunistic, LA probably seems like it's full of easy women, if you're not it probably appears to be full of gold diggers, but the reality is the city is really full of a lot of people that are just simply in self isolation with no effective social structure to meet each other.
 armyguy35
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/17/2006 2:12:32 AM
a few inf divisions, 1st and 2nd Ranger Bns, 1st SFG. I weork for another Fire Dept here locally ( Not City of Modesto), thought about CDF but now sure yet.I did smoke jumpin for awhile, and loved it.but im not 20 years old anymore LOL
 armyguy35
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/18/2006 5:54:19 AM
financially secure is another way to say RICH..and you dont have to be RICH in order to not depend on a woman for finances.im not even CLOSE to rich, and Ive never done that. As far as ALL men want sex...well ALL women do too.Is it the ONLy thing we want? No. in fact I know guys that dont even want sex, because the gold diggers actually ruin it for most women
 LucyBadCat :p
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/20/2006 3:57:05 AM
What's wrong with tofu-eating? LoL
 armyguy35
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/21/2006 5:17:19 AM
Ok heres another imprtant factor in this topic: hollywood!!! Look at who is shown in the public eye: Tara Reid, Paris Hilton, Pamela Anderson-Lee-Rock-Baio whatever. Unfortunately these walking buckets of silicone are what you see on nat'l Television.. We cant keep the trashiest of people off of TV.Has anyone ever been to Hollywood? you leave there feeling like you need a tetnis shot.
 marshw
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/27/2006 5:29:01 AM
I meet high quality, (relatively) honorable women every day. I mean, everyone has their flaws. I never got involved with a woman I thought was a gold digger, then again, I don't have much gold to dig. All I can offer a gal is really great kissing and a delicious meal. Maybe some romantic adventure too.
 Author4
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/27/2006 12:14:03 PM
I have to admit...I've met some very down to earth girls from San Diego. I think there are good people everywhere. You just have to search them out. That being said, we do have a different situation in SoCal. I had a talk recently with a good friend of mine who seemed to have a lot of data on this subject. She was adamant that I should only date transplants like myself. The Women in SoCal also have to deal with the Men in SoCal. Just about all the men in SoCal are available- married or not! These guys have money, looks and attitude. No girl is too young in SoCal if she is thin with boobs. SoCal men are good at chatting girls up and dropping the bombs. Girls just get shell shocked and have to learn how to deal with the attention. There are 5 men to every girl and it doesn't take long to get that SoCAL attitude. Any girl with a BMI under 25 is going to get hit on, and hit on hard. It happens here like now where else! By the time a girl hits her mid 20's she has had to take on that SoCal persona. Its just part of the training. She is well trained. She knows what works and what doesn't. She knows how to get what she thinks she wants....Its pretty sad.....Most women who grow up here don't know any different! The Men don't either! By that 2nd or 3rd Vegas Wedding they just give up and go looking for sell out or a well trained sex buddy (like themselves).

No to put so much doom and gloom on the subject! Lets give these poor lost souls some hope- ha, ha....Lets make this "Date a Native" week! All you transplants make it your Civic duty to go out and date a SoCal Native. Give it your best shot, look past the silicon, the botox and the beamers- adopt a native. Anyone can do it for a week. Don't worry about the week, they'll be used to it....

MsNai
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/30/2006 1:23:16 AM
I LOVE TOFU..(But, that's only because I'm Asian "yeah another stereotype")

Ever been to NY or Miami? It's worse. LA is not bad at all, I've meet and encounter many friendly, outgoing, nice girls here in LA then I did when I visited NY. Miami, friendly wise is great, but they're far more body conscious and superficial then we are.

So, to answer you topic question, my answer would have to be.....MYTH

I believe things are how we set, or meet them to be. We surround our self by the type of people we want to, and when we encounter those a little different we seek out a flaw in them before giving them a chance to prove other wise, thus is how you and others came to conclude it as "facts". Unfriendly, rude, obnoxious, money hungry people are every where. Not just in California. We do not have more in percentage then any other State. For those we think so, look at it logically. California is a much bigger state with its population doublings even tripling other States. So if we break it down by percentage, we are all equally populated by snobs, superficial, and jerks as any one else.
 MsNai
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/30/2006 1:34:59 AM
"I like totally made a major hypocrite of my self"
 G.G.
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2006 10:31:31 PM
Okay no no no no! Trust me you can find those girls anywhere. If you keep running into these types of girls then you need to ask yourself why and are you just scratching the surface of these girls and then labeling them unfairly. I can be shy around a large group of people I dont know and people use to tell me they thought I was a snob until I opened up and started talking. How much of a chance have you been giveing these girls? People have more than a few layers you have to get past before they let you underneath.
-Gina
 ManCrap
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/3/2006 1:13:43 PM
yeah, what ever. I've wanted to do that. seriously. "nice women" like you end up picking crappy guys. why else are you here? if you were ugly then you could advise me on the lower expectations that they are willing to take. you have a choice where other women dont. enjoy it. beauty doesnt last forever.
 Dceeeee
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/3/2006 8:52:43 PM
I'm none of the above....I prefer silver to gold, and I buy my own.....I hate tofu or anything similiar.....I care about others....and no one would dare call me 'shallow'..but then, my roots are in Ohio. I've lived in the San Diego area since 1974, but it has changed a lot and is nothing like it used to be....so sad.

~DC~
 castof1
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2007 11:16:19 AM
I would love to let you know if I thought this was true or not but I don't have the time. It is Friday and I would like to go out tonight so I have to get my shovel and dig up some gold so I can get a date for the evening.
 Miss W
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/18/2007 12:13:58 PM
Out4aWalk, you are so right, exercising them will take you a long way. Social skills are everything and many people, not just men lack them. Also, some guys are blinded by all of the flash, they don't open their eyes to reality.

For the record, I am a native Californian and get kind of tired of the flakey, superficial stereotypes that we have. My parents were originally from Chicago and I was raised with midwestern values.
 SoCalM714
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/18/2007 3:24:57 PM
My two cents for what it's worth

I am a Ca. native and I have traveled lots, Ca woman, well I love them
 H66
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/18/2007 8:34:19 PM
Very well stated. A woman from SoCal will not give you the time or place unless there is something in it for her, whatever that may be. Women down here have no soul or heart. Now, I'm sure there are exception which are far and few. If a woman down here has any hint beauty or sexiness there head is so far up there azz they can't breathe. But mostly it's not there fault but the fault lies in our society. Men are dumbest creatures giving up there souls and freedom for 10 min. of pleasure while women are the most insecure. Always trying to look there best and trying to hord all the attention.
 Wreckless1
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/19/2007 1:38:06 PM
Now would that be Northern, or Southern ???
 Wreckless1
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/20/2007 12:50:43 PM
If it's ALL about the local yocals, then why are women lookin beyond the range....
Miles, or states, or countires.... (not that it's a bad thing...jus curious)
 Miss W
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/20/2007 1:27:21 PM
2bcaptain, I grew up in Tustin too. In fact, I still live in the vicinity. And I do believe that we were pretty regular. There is a lot to be said about locale. I have to laugh about what you've said about parties at the beach. My friends and I used to make fun of surfer boys, who were cute, but quite stuck up and never seemed to comb their hair.

I do have moments where I am guilty of making fun of the botoxed, surgically-enhanced, high maintenance types. Sadly, these types of women seem to be the living stereotype of the California woman.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > California women: fact or myth?