Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Talking about accents and voices      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Talking about accents and voicesPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I have quite a husky voice too..But then again at 6 foot tall I'd sound bloody stupid if I squeaked... I like a guy to sound like a guy....huh? I hear you think... Well as long as he isn't mistaken for his sister or his prepubescent son then I'm pretty OK with it.It's enunciation and pronunciation I have a bit of a bugbear about.. I don't mean accents I mean word formation.. I hate missing T's over hard G's and TH's turned into FF or VV through laziness... Now that would turn me off royally..
 restless_native
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Talking about accents and voices
Posted: 6/14/2007 7:15:03 AM
There are certain accents that I like and there are certain accents that really get under my skin.

I must admit that if I read a profile and the person is from a region where they have one of the accents I don't like it would effect my decision as to whether to contact them.

I know it's probably completely wrong to pre-judge people in this way, but what can I say, I'm human and I have flaws.

It goes without saying that I'm not going to brave enough to actually name these regions.
 Gut_Reaction
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 7:51:02 AM
I believe I have a very posh upper class telephone accent, eloquent without a doubt.

In real life I be sounding loike one of dem Wurzels so they all says. Horse shite I reckons me babbers.

As to surprises, one lassie who frequents these forums sounds like a fish wife with twice as dirty a mouth... ohh hang on that might be because I begged her to be.
 restless_native
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:05:49 AM
I find that most women struggle to take me seriously on the telephone. Especially during phone sex.

I really wish I didn't sound like Joe Pasquale.
 Lorri55
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 1:01:30 PM
Scots and Irish do it for me but then perhaps I am a wee bit biased......I am Scots with Irish blood in me too
A person's voice is a huge part of their individuality
 badge73
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2009 1:12:07 PM
Always wondered about pants ... Being 6ft and a husky voice ... Wonders if the dingle supporter used to run the 800 metres? Speaking of which, im legging it quick! :Run:

on topic, my voice melts the hearts of bints ... Honestly!
 bresker
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/20/2009 4:27:08 PM

I like a southern Irish accent, it's a total knicker dropper.

hey hey, some of the northern ones aren't so bad, we don't all sound like Ian Paisley....

A lot of people presume I'm Scottish, expecially when they hear my name first.

Having talked to women from all arts & parts in my job, I'm afraid to say that the accents that turn me on the most are those of the young Chelsea PAs. The posh girls employed by rich bosses who are themselves too posh to talk directly to plebs like me.

My accent/voice has made some women giggle like schoolgirls, and seems to have a great effect on West Indian ladies. Or maybe they are are just less backward about coming forward.
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 2:45:33 AM
I dated a guy whose voice sounded like the actor's from Some Mothers Do Have Them. He looked like him, too, so it was hard to maintain my composure when I made the connection. He was not hopeless like the character portrayed by the actor but still... the wrong inflection can kill the passion 'oh you like that, don't you?'

After this guy, anything will be an improvement!
 badge73
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 3:14:07 AM
not to keen on a yorkshire accent on a bint as when chatting in the dark i would have thoughts of .... is nora batty in my bed??

same as with a scouse, it would be like chatting with a cat with furballs!

i used to like a country accent but its when you meet the parents and obviously they have been living in the same area for a while and a big family, get the drift.

didnt mind a welsh accent at one time, untill she wispered in my ear at night for a while then went quiet, i then realised my ear was full of phlegm!!
 Lorri55
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 4:02:32 AM
I love listening to all the different accents around me in the office....I work in Edinburgh and have colleagues from Scotland, (Glasgow, Inverness,Edinburgh, Fife) England (Cockney and Geordie), Ireland,Canada, France, Africa , Asia...the list goes on

John who is from Nigeria is currently compiling a wee dictionary of 'Scoticisms' that I come out with.....

Lorri55
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 4:12:30 AM
'Scunnered'.......a brilliant word , especially when combined with 'fair'

hehe
 Loose_end
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 5:35:04 AM

John who is from Nigeria is currently compiling a wee dictionary of 'Scoticisms' that I come out with.....

Ha, I'm teaching my English friend to speak Scottish

Sounds like this Scottie translator may help

http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/scottish-translator.asp

Anything to help break down these language barriers is good in my book
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 5:55:50 AM
I don't associate accents with where people on Pof state they live, simply because so many people move around these days it's hard to assume anything.

My profile shows I live in Fife but definitely do not have a Fife accent. I have moved about so much in Scotland and England that I have a 'nowhere' accent. Most places I lived, the accents I heard the most were not locals because my husband was in the RAF, so I never really picked up an accent. English think I am Scottish, and Scots think I am English.

I do however, look at the way they type their profile and hate it when I see it typed in an 'accent', dropping off letters, changing words ie 'I like to go oot we ma mates at wkends'.
 Lorri55
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 10:56:38 AM
it beats 'hen' up here

Lorraine shudders....or should that be clucks
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2009 3:39:44 PM

Although his pals for some reason now think scunnered means pissed.
Just out interest, what do it actually mean?

I sound like Bez, outta the Happy Mondays, but if I could have any accent, I would choose to speak like Daniel Craig or possibly an Irish twang?
 bresker
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/21/2009 4:08:28 PM

Scunnered = fed up.

We say scundered, not scunnered here. And scundered means embarassed in Belfast, but fed up in mid-Ulster.

We have a million words for drunk, but blocked is one of the most popular
 bresker
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/21/2009 5:36:25 PM
The Ulster Scots have their own dialect, very similar to lowland Scots, don't they?

Yes, the Ulster-Scots or 'lallans,' as in lowlands. It's very similar.

• when you have nothing better to add than

0------
    0--------------
    0---------------------
    0---------------
    0----------

to circumvent text limit rules - then further measures are implemented prior to last and final rule

• or ...

• these same sanctions apply to consistent chatters, thread comedians, attention seekers with the "who can come up with the best wisecrack" syndrome rather than contributing something worthwhile, etc. etc.

Note: Minimum text limits -

Anybody caught trying to bypass text limits by "post padding" or pasting text may lose their posting privileges for 10 days, and their Edit feature permanently.

~*~Puddles~*~
 btj_rv
Msg: 111
Posted: 9/23/2009 12:32:12 PM
I tend to envision a voice while reading the writing of the potential date. Though I don't let any expectation minimize a potential good date. Since I enjoy learning cultural difference in language as well as the language is something I like. It gives you more to expand on in a dating situation. Overall though it is what is being discussed and what we do on a date that I tend to focus on. Good looks and a nice voice helps but if what is being said lacks content then it would seem like the relationship would rely on other qualities of the partners to be sustained.
 oggers
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 4:42:22 PM
brown~eyes, you may not have a distinctive accent , but you have a wonderfully sexy voice to go with the accent lol

In Scotland anywhere a bread roll (as in A roll with bacon)
In Leicester/Derby/nottingham Its a bap

hehe .. Morrisons sell Big Baps..... I like big baps .....

I can have whatever accent you wish , although my natural one is west Lancashire (St Helens , not quite as broad as Wigan.. ) , what do I find sexy on a girl ? Scottish, Irish, or husky english like Joanna Lumley !
 oggers
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2009 12:32:14 AM

Glaswegian, Welsh, Northern Scottish, Scouse, Geordie, Brummie, Middlesbrough, most Manc,****ey, etc tend to make one sound uneducated at best. Scousers in particular no matter their background are nigh impossible to take seriously in any setting, except in a dark alley with a knife.
Finally a lot of the Irish (ROI) accents on girls can be rather endearing, however Northern Irish birds sound absolutely vile and the chaps are decidedly...unpredicatable.

You have to remember that the average person from Northern Ireland, no matter how cultured, educated or friendly is one Harp lager fueled binge away from rampaging through your locality in an orgy of arson and beastiality.
Wooden buildings and barnyard animals beware

So ... no stereotyping going on there, then !
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2009 1:33:21 PM
xxDonnaDiAxx

I sometimes get labelled 'posh' as well. I'm not posh by any means but think it is because I don't have a particular accent. I find it really amusing leaving people to guess where I come from.
In saying that, if I am around someone long enough I will start to pick up aspects of their speech.

I don't think there are any accents I can say I hate but lazy speech is a turn off.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Talking about accents and voices