Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aquaplane
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I know I can feel a bit gloomy on a gloomy autumn day.

But I can also feel good on a nice bright winters day.

And when the sap starts rising in spring, I tend to feel a bit frisky, don't know what causes it but if it's melatonin levels, I can live with that.

I don't think I would call it a dissorder though.
 stevencl
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Posted: 10/25/2006 4:18:43 PM
SAD does exist. It's due to a tiny small gland called the pineal gland. It produces the hormone melatonin. It's produced at increased levels when it is dark and increased melatonin levels cause depression. Best thing to do is to go for a walk during the day as this can offset the effects of the melatonin.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2006 12:32:54 AM
^^^ LOL Mike hint hint huh...

OT My mum suffers dreadfully with SAD she really struggled in the winter but she recently decorated her house throughout in light reflecting colours, and lightened everywhere. She also bought a small lamp that simulates the sun without being a tanning salon LOL.. that seems to have done the trick for her...
 cheryls place
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/28/2009 10:27:32 AM
With SAD 3 our of 4 sufferers are women.
Symptoms are:
Depression,anxiety,mood changes,sleep problems,lethargy,over eating,want to avoid social contact,loss of libedo. It is all do to the lack of sunlight. People have tried artificial light but some scientists did a study, And if you can get outside in the winter and take a walk for a least 1 hour, It will do you a world of good.I suffer from this because in the summer I bake at the fleamarkets, so when winter gets here, I am like a flower with no sun. I shrivel up. I take those winter walks and there is something I heard about taking extra Vitamin D that helps also.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)