Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dollyp
Msg: 1
Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I'm just intruiged as to how other people feel about constantly being ribbed for liking Star Trek and being called a geek all the time! Isn't it just another TV show-yet you don't find fans of 24 being ribbed-cos its considered 'cool'! I'm proud to be a Trekkie but do any other Trekkie fans proudly call themselves geeks?
 preferthecountry
Msg: 2
Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?
Posted: 10/26/2006 10:07:01 AM
There are fans, and then there are fanatics.. The convention going, klingon speaking, uniform wearing, technical specification knowing special people. Those are the geeks. I am a fan of the show and watch it often, but don't consider myself a geek.
 nice2cu
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/26/2006 10:20:19 AM
Meh.. I grew out of it when I was a teenager.
Then again I never really was 'into' it either.
It was interesting back in the day.
Pretty 'cutting edge' for tv back then.
Now it's just....I dunno...old/lame.
The last time I visited my sister and bro-inlaw, I was watching Hockey Night in Canada but they HAD to turn the channel to watch Star Trek..........Sheeeeesh!
What's up with THAT?!
:)
 HoTnSwEaTy
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/26/2006 10:23:42 AM
I watch it...but I hate Kirk...and Cisco....(spelling?) but like the shows in general....but enterprise just suck period.
 Spaceballs
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2006 11:47:35 AM
You got it wrong. Every one is a fan of something. But there is a difference between fan-> passionate-> and the strictest term of the word, "Otaku". Otaku is absolutely bad in every way shape or form.

Otaku literally means you have no life. Absolutely no life except in the form of your absolute obsession. For example: Anime otaku or doll otaku or etc.

They would literally eat nothing, do nothing, quit their jobs, forget all about their friends and families, and etc. for the sole purpose for them to be with their obsession non stop. Every conversation, every picture, every thing they do is that one obsession. "Otaku" has been rising rapidly recently (Especially in Japan and to a bit lesser extent in America)....

What your doing wouldn't even be considered "fan" in the eyes of a true Otaku. A true otaku would spend all his/her money on their obsession and etc.
 BarnBabe
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/26/2006 1:52:51 PM
I think also there's a difference between Trekkies and Trekkers, isn't that right? I'm not in that particular crowd (into Star Wars myself... and Lord of the Rings) but someone told me there is a difference.
 schroedingerscat
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/26/2006 2:02:00 PM
I found an interesting definition for geek and nerd: Geek is someone who has a specialized knowlege in an obscure skill (ie Speak Klingon or Tolkien Elvish) while a nerd is someone who loves knowlege for its own sake.

otaku geek, nerd, enthusiast (col) from http://www.freedict.com/onldict/onldict.php.
what's the kanji and/or kana spelling for otaku?

What you are describing is toritsukareru (to become obsessed with).
 pliu
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/26/2006 6:25:50 PM
I consider myself a trekker, not a trekkie. There's a difference between the both.

A Trekker wears a starfleet uniform to a convention because it's fun.
A Trekkie wears a starfleet uniform to a convention because s/he has
heard that it is in style at the academy.

A Trekker has a Starfleet Academy window sticker on his car.
A Trekkie is cramming for the entrance exams.

A Trekker meets Marina Sirtis/Gates McFadden at a convention, tells
her how pretty he thinks she is, that it is too bad she is
married or he would ask her out.
A Trekkie meets Deanna Troi/Dr. Crusher at a convention, tells her how
pretty he thinks she is, and asks her if she is still seeing Riker
(Picard, some alien patient, et al).

A Trekker loves watching the show, nitpicking and discussing it with
friends.
A Trekkie loves watching those documentaries filmed aboard the
Enterprise.

A Trekker thinks Wil Wheaton was a lucky kid who got to play a kid on
Star Trek.
A Trekkie thinks that Wesley Crusher was a lucky kid who got to sit on
the bridge.

A Trekker thinks that it is a shame that the show is coming to an end.
A Trekkie thinks that it is a shame that the crew is being reassigned
and the Enterprise is being decomissioned.

A Trekker knows that there are gaping holes in the technology, but
ignores them and enjoys the show.
A Trekkie can't wait for the price to come down on those home food
replicator units.

A Trekker buys pips for the rank s/he wants to be.
A Trekkie wonders why he is constantly passed over for promotion.

A Trekker tells his/her new girl/boyfriend that s/he really likes Star Trek.
A Trekkie's new girl/boyfriend is an underclassman at the academy.

A Trekker wonders what sex in zero g would be like.
A Trekkie wonders what sex would be like.

courtesy of http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/seance/134/lists.html
 Spaceballs
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2006 9:49:33 PM
Haha. yes that's exactly what I meant.
 Mr.Tanner/typicalatypical
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/26/2006 11:55:23 PM
Trekkie was the term for the people who got hooked on the original series.

Trekker became the proper name of trekkie after The Next Generation.
 dollyp
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/27/2006 4:11:57 AM
So I'm a Trekker!! That sounds a lot better! Well I'm proud to be a Trekker then!!
 Plasma80
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/7/2006 7:31:13 AM
Keep on Trekkin'. LOL!
 obliq
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/7/2006 2:09:17 PM
Let's see here....

Star Trek is a science-fiction show depicting a nonsensical idealized vision of a classless peaceful cooperative future that doesn't exist.

24 is a contemporary thriller depicting a nonsensical vision of a dangerous present that doesn't exist, but its headline-inspired fearmongering makes it plausible...........

Lost is a contemporary soap-opera depicting a nonsensical vision of a desparate present that has gotten hopelessly lost in its own jungle of discarded subplots.

Ask a trekkie what brand of phaser Picard used in episode 152 act 3 scene 4 and they can tell you right down to the model number.

Ask a 24 what brand of gun Jack used in season 2 hour 5 and they say, "Who cares?"

-----
Ask me what movies Marina Sirtis appears nude and I'll say, "Blind Date, Paradise Lost, Deathwish 3, and Wicked Lady."
 Book
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/9/2006 5:11:49 PM
Not embarrased to say that I do enjoy ST. Yes, that makes me a geek. I'm also not embarrased to admit I am a geek.
 dragonlady99
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/6/2007 11:51:48 AM
Well, i guess I'm a trekker, I like the show, and I have read some of the books, after the show was done, and gotten into some of the other ones that were not shows to begin with(did the same for Star Wars).
But even tho I have done that, I'm not a die hard fan. Sad that they canceled, but not depressively tho,( they could of done better that doing Enterprise)
I am a geek, and proud of it :)
 designingwoman
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2007 5:40:18 PM
I fall under the category of Trekker as described above. I enjoyed the shows, and belong to a couple of Star Trek fan clubs. I've found that the social interaction at conventions with fellow fans is very enjoyable. Some dress up while others don't. The whole point is to have fun and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow Trek fans.

I only know a few words and phrases of Klingon--it's great entertainment. I also enjoy the stories about the Klingons, especially the novels and episodes. They are simply great stories.

I am also the quadrant commander at the regional level for a Trek fan club. It's fun, and I enjoy interacting with the people who are under my "command". Fortunately, the vast majority of fellow fans are pleasant and friendly. Trek is entertainment, but it also has a deeper meaning in the hope for a better future. I think this positive outlook from the show spills into the fan clubs to which I belong. Both groups are fun. The one in which I have regional responsibilities is a true pleasure--very classy people, and lots of fun. I enjoy being part of the charitable aspect of the organizations as well.

I did meet a woman who would be called a "Trekkie" long before I became a Trek fan (I didn't get into it until my mid thirties). I was twentysomething and quite put off by her. I would still be, to this day. I described her to some of my other friends. One is the president of the local chapter, and he said he would not let her join our group because she'd be too much trouble.

When I met her, I was flying out of Barnes Airport in Westfield, Mass and was waiting for a friend so that we could go flying. She had on a Star Trek uniform, in the AIRPORT. I approached her and asked her why she was wearing the uniform. She said that she was a Starfleet officer and wore uniforms every day. She even told me that her brother was mad at her for her insisting on wearing her dress uniform to his wedding instead of wearing a normal dress. UGH! This woman was so far gone that she actually seemed to think that Star Trek is real.

Star Trek outfits are fine at conventions, but as everyday wear? NO NO NO!!!!!!!!! No wonder my friends were put off when I described her, and they are Star Trek fans!

What's sad is a "Trekkie" who shuts himself off to life and obsesses about the show to the exclusion of everything else. The Trekkers I know are very much involved in life, enjoy social interaction with people and reach out to the community.

Live Long and Prosper, and Qapla'!!

DW
 Jetplague
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/6/2007 5:49:33 PM
Watching the show...yes. Attending conventions...no. Dressing up for either...uh...no. Singing along to "Hey brother" from the original episodes....priceless.

A true Trek geek would love the show with all the faults. I do not....I watch it...but I also roll my eyes at the lame episodes and lack of originality....oh wait...that does make me a geek. Ok, Yep! I'm a geek and proud of it.
 Munkeechi
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/6/2007 6:12:55 PM
I love the shows for their entertainment value much like I enjoy Law and Order and Heros. It's a tv show, keeps me entertained for an hour or so and that's the end of it. I don't debate the show or even know much about it but I do enjoy it. I have 4 of the TNG seasons on dvd, and will flip the old re runs on if nothing else is on (which is frequently since I find tv boring most nights). I don't consider myself a trekkie or a trekker... just someone who watches the show.
 AAARRG!
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/6/2007 10:04:35 PM
DAMN IT! Jim. This is one geeky ass thread going on here. A buncha freaky geeks talkin' about Star Trek.

Some people are geeks with Star Trek, but chances are they are geeks all the time with or without Star Trek.

Ok, I admit it. I have on occasion watched the show. Ok, ok, maybe more than on occasion. But I like (I know the trekkers will hate this) everything after the original. The originol was ok, but I thought that it really get going till the 3rd or so season of TNG.

I will now state that my favorite series is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I think it has probably the best characters and the best writing of all the series. Quark, without a doubt IMO, is the best character to be on any Star Trek series. Thank you Armin Shimerman for that character!!

But all that being said. I like Sci Fi. I like all the Star Wars, and movies like Blade Runner, Alian, 2001, Twelve Monkies, Close Encounters, etc. etc. Hell, I LOVE the Back to the Future trilogy and think the BEST sci fi movie of all time is The Matrix. And T.V. shows like Buck Rogers, V, Alian Nation, X files, Battlestar Galactica, Planet of the Apes, Twilight Zone, etc.

Yes, I know that the Enterprise has a Captains Yacht and I can at any given time explain to the layman a run down of who's fighting who and why. What traits particular alians have. Data is an Andriod. There is no such thing as the Vulcan Death Grip. Who the Dominion are and how/why they almost ripped apart the Alpha quadrant. How Voyager got to and got back from the Delta quadrant. How Kess was hot as sh!t in her multi layered skirts. I could even explain how Data almost got taken of the Enterprise because some people didn't think he was a sentient being, but only a toaster.

Just because I happened to have at one time, a cat name Kira, another named Belana and a Dalmation named Dax, does NOT mean I am a geek.

I like what I like for entertainment. Although the majority of T.V. I watch now days is Discovery something er nother, History, Bio, Doc, News, etc. Lots of weather.

But in real life all I try to do is be on my boat. Nothing more, nothing less. I am a boater to the bone. AAARRG! And though my laptop will play DVD's I never take any with me. It's all about the moment, here and now, and the feeling of knowing of my own existence at any giving time while on the water. The water has a way of making you realize quite a bit about yourself.

I ain't no geek!
 Random Entry
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2007 12:24:02 AM
Loved the shows, been to one con, never dressed up. I enjoy sci fi, but the thing so many non sci types miss out on is if you set aside the whole costumes and intergalactic aspects of the show is that most of them were well written. They often had clever racial political statements within them. DS9 rocked, TNG had really good plots.

Lately I have been enjoying Farscape and some of the stargate episodes played on the weekend. I really wish another Star Trek series would occur, only if they can sustain well written plots.
 just_Kats
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/7/2007 1:52:11 AM
I watched Star Trek as a teenager, and like to go back to it and watch it even today..
And I watch other sci-fi shows and enjoy them. I'm still sorry we don't have BSG on here..
But I'm overall a sci-fi freak and has always been. Since I was a kid and my dad would tell me SF stories he read instead of fairy tales..
I have never been into any convention, but don't rule out this possibility in the future..
If anyone wants to call me a geek or a nerd, I will not get offended.. :)
 puppet master
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/7/2007 2:26:08 AM

If anyone wants to call me a geek or a nerd, I will not get offended.. :)

hahaha............i got called a "geeky girl" today!! have to say thats a first. not that i minded mind you. the same guy also called me a "girly girl"...jeeezzzzzzzzz i must of been having a bad day

ot........i love star trek, always have since i've been a little kid, although more often than not the older episodes often leave me thinking...."what the hell did i see in that show?"

funny thing is i still enjoy them and still watch them if i get the chance.
 designingwoman
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2007 6:37:04 PM
Pretty crazy state of affairs if you ask me: I was the complete Prep in high school, right down to the alligator shirts. I probably would have been aghast if someone told me that in my thirties I would become a Star Trek fan. Back then I probably would not have even TALKED to the Trek geek in high school. Now I am one. Beneath the Ralph Lauren and Lilly Pulitzer clothes I wear lies a GEEK. Go figure!!

Not all geeks walk around wearing pocket protectors full of pens! Some of us are lurking behind fancy suits and designer clothes LOL.

I would just chuckle if someone called me a geek today, because of becoming a Trek fan. I would have had a VERY different reaction in high school--I probably would have walked off in a huff.

I think the experience of being a Trek fan has made me a better person and has opened me to a world full of different kinds of people having fun together and doing good through the fan clubs.
 Random Entry
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2007 8:33:35 AM
You sound like you have fun with it, designingwomen. Your posts almost make me wish I was back at con partying with those people. They were fun times.

Looks mean nothing in terms of who enjoys star trek. Even less so because these days it is not uncommon for nearly anyone to have a computer job. I wouldn't mind being called a geek though I don't recall anyone ever calling me one, usually I get confused as a football player because I am big and have wide shoulders. Maybe because of that even those that might think I am a geek have never dared to call me one.
 sammylg
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/8/2007 1:39:15 PM
I love TREK!

Well, except for Voyager. That series sucked IMHO. Janeway was cute though.

but to show how nerdy I really am, I am even a larger fan of the series BABYLON 5 (have the whole series!) and Firefly (well, that is actually a cool show).
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?