Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Hacking democracy.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gentalltheway
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Hacking democracy.Page 1 of 1    
I saw an HBO documentary called "Hacking Democracy" tonight. It's about America's voting system.

Well, I never mentioned anything about possible election fraud but after seeing this documentary, I am simply flabbergasted.

American citizens need to watch this show. You will be amazed at the findings.

Here's a link:
http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/hackingdemocracy/index.html
http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature/2003/02/20/voting_machines/print.html

Read the interview with Bev Harris and Russell Harris. But more so...watch the documentary.

Did the Republicans really fraud the past two elections? Let me know what you think once you have seen the documentary.

Enjoy!
 Intercooler
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Hacking democracy.
Posted: 11/5/2006 3:10:31 PM
I just finished watching this. I applaud Bev Harris for her courageous work in discovering what is unequivocably a system which is rampant with flaws so huge you could drive a convoy of Mack trucks through them all. After seeing how Volusia County Florida actually came up with a NEGATIVE 16,022 votes in the 2000 Presidential election, it's pretty clear there's something amiss in the system.

We simply must demand more accountability in ensuring election results are counted accurately.....Otherwise, democracy is simply dead in its tracks.
 Intercooler
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Hacking democracy.
Posted: 11/5/2006 3:46:55 PM
The show was about the system and how it is dysfunctional. It wasn't about any particular political party or candidates. It was about voting systems which can so easily be corrupted that no one can be assured of an accurate vote count. Have you even watched it?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 4
Hacking democracy.
Posted: 11/5/2006 4:28:18 PM

HBO, a division of Time-Warner, is typically quite left wing

GET UP, STAND-UP MooneyIs Time Warner getting into the censorship business? A host of Showtime at the Apollo claims he got the hook for angering top brass at the media megaconglomerate with jokes about President George W. Bush.
Comic Paul Mooney (most recently of Chappelle's Show) was midway through a taping of the famed Harlem theater's weekly variety show when the plug was abruptly pulled. Mooney claims the show's producer, Suzanne de Passe, told him material in his monologue had offended unnamed officials from Time Warner, whose chairman, Richard Parsons, heads the Apollo Theater Foundation's board of directors and is among the country's most prominent black Republicans.

It must be tough for right wingers. You seem to need to feel persecuted, but you control all branches of government. But reaching to believe that large conglomerates are left leaning is beyond laughable - just kind of sad.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
Hacking democracy.
Posted: 11/5/2006 8:57:05 PM
The general media is extremely right leaning. That's why complete fruit loops like Bush can be taken seriously. But you didn't even acknowledge that the head of Time Warner is a Republican and that corporate power is used to direct the type of political comment allowed in their media outlets.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Hacking democracy.
Posted: 11/6/2006 6:51:21 AM

I didn't find the documentary that compelling and, although I have concerns with electronic voting, I still have yet to see any conclusive evidence that it is inherently less accurate or fair than traditional paper balloting.

Their final test where they proved the vote counting could be modified with only a compromised memory card was pretty stunning. There's no conspiracy theory here...it's on tape. And how could you say that "it is inherently less accurate or fair than traditional paper balloting" since there's no way to verify it in the first place because there's no paper trail? Also, if they have a reason for re-count, officials only do a 3% random check...3%??? If that's not bullshit, I dont know what is!

After every election the left wing loons lose they scream election fraud. Broken record... We won't be listening.

If they have strong reasons to believe that there was election fraud, why not scream it? Afterall, it benefits every citizen when you do to make sure that their votes were not tampered with. Or how about when some citizens are not allow to vote? What kind of BS is that? OR how about when a representative from Triad Systems comes into a county board of elections office un-announced, worked on a tabulator computer without being asked and he then asked which precinct would be counted for the 3% recount test while working on the tabulator. Now why would the rep do all of that?

National exit polls showed Kerry winning in 2004. However, It was only in precincts where there were no paper trails on the voting machines that the exit polls ended up being different from the final count. According to Dr. Steve Freeman, a statistician at the University of Pennsylvania, the odds are 250 million to one that the exit polls were wrong by chance. In fact, where the exit polls disagreed with the computerized outcomes the results always favored Bush - another statistical impossibility.

Hmmm...the odds are 250 million to one that the exit polls were wrong? Those are pretty strong odds if you ask me. Anyone with a brain in his head would start to ask questions what ever you are a right wing loon or left. There's nothing wrong in "screaming" a possible election fraud when something doesn't smell good.

Anyway, I will be the first one to stand up against electronic votes as it's just too easy to manipulate and no paper trail to prove it wrong. Absolutely no way to verify possible errors or fraud. How stupid is that???

The problem is that the vast majority of citizens just dont care. They want it done with and move on which is one of the reasons why or if some people always get away with fraudulent acts.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Hacking democracy.