Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > What is Canada?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Etownboy79
Msg: 3
What is Canada?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I wondered as an Atlantic Canadian: Would we still be part of Canada?

Well, why not? The U.S. has Alaska and Hawaii.

What is Canada but a group of completely different regions, with different mindsets, and cultures?

I agree, I guess the only advantage of amalgamating all of the different regions is the advantage in trade. No borders to cross means less hassle and potentially better pricing on things imported from one region to the other. Of course, I'm of the mindset that this really doesn't matter and is paled in comparison to the cons of nationalization, but, since I'm in Alberta, it's easy to understand why I'm indifferent about at least western seperation, since Alberta holds most of the countrys' economical "chips" anyway.
 montanadharma
Msg: 12
What is Canada?
Posted: 11/5/2006 11:37:30 AM
It will never happen because of natural resources.
 Gian gomeze
Msg: 25
What is Canada?
Posted: 12/28/2006 5:30:08 AM
Are you a native american to be a minority in your homeland?
 Gian gomeze
Msg: 26
What is Canada?
Posted: 12/28/2006 6:04:42 AM
nightcowboy on 12/24/2006

'I know I'm not the only one that thinks "I miss the old Canada" translation,before 1992.Before the Liberals ruined this nation.I don't even recognize this country anymore'

Are you a native american to feel like a minority in your own home land?Just because your parents moved to canada a while ago and gave birth to you dosent make you a canadian, got it?always remember the only canadians are the natives.
 Etownboy79
Msg: 27
What is Canada?
Posted: 12/28/2006 6:57:55 AM
^^^^

Pfft. Thanks for once again disproving the myth that anyone who can type must at least be over the "mentally retarded" line standardized by today's I.Q. tests, or are able to make a valid point for that matter.

It's been suggested that the First Nations people were actually from South America, and certain tribes simply migrated here. If that's true would that make you Mexican? No, of course not, and for all the European families who have been here for 1 generation or 10, they are welcome to call themselves Canadian as well..... I just hope you can stand the pity taxes!
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 28
What is Canada?
Posted: 12/28/2006 10:57:43 AM
what is canada?

this is such a complex question for me...and yet simple at the same time.

canada is my home.

canada is the most beautiful country in the world (and i have traveled it coast to coast).

canada is culturally diverse and conflicted in its diversity.

canada is the humble and unsung underdog.

canada is diplomacy, majesty, profound stupidity and incredible humour.

canada is compassionate, dedicated and ever focused on trying to overcome its faults.

canada is able to laugh at its foibles and quirks.

canada is a reflection of its people and i am proud to be called canadian.
 Etownboy79
Msg: 32
What is Canada?
Posted: 12/31/2006 6:43:21 PM
^^^^

When I develop an opinion about something, I do a little bit of research on my arguments, and in this way I won't come across sounding like an ignorant redneck.

Who's opinions are you researching? How do you research racism and it's social importance anyway, hmm? When someone says they research something it usually means they don't have enough life experience to form an opinion for themselves and end up agreeing with the popular opinion, for no better reason than to be on the side of the majority.

Anybody who denies this has clearly never been around many addicts or prostitutes. Nothing to be proud of, but these people do exist and it's our job to protect them.

No it is NOT anyone's job to "protect" anyone who wants to live this way and anyone that suggests that they don't chose to live this way has CLEARLY not been around many addicts/prostitutes, but likely did his research on a bleeding hearted website. Unfortunately, that person would come across sounding like an ignorant punk.

You talk about Diversity and the Melting Pot as if the words are interchangeable, but let's face it, they're antonyms. Diversity/multiculturalism is the policy in Canada and the United Kingdom. The Melting Pot is the policy in the USA and France.
Multiculturalism means that we allow people, whatever their job, to practice their religion.

I'm sick of Albertans' American-style, unsecular, big-business promoting politics.

For such a promoter of diversity you sure cut to the chase when Alberta, or anything you don't wholly agree with comes in to the equation. So I guess we'll just have to go on being a bunch of fat pigs who never work hard, just sucking up more oil from the ground so you can drive around in your VW Jetta while you go on calling us hurtful things. Hmmm, I wonder if that's why everyone is moving here, they must agree with you, huh? Guess you should've researched some more.
 Etownboy79
Msg: 34
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/1/2007 9:17:06 AM
Well, going back to the thread topic, it would appear that Canada is indeed diverse, from coast to coast, with plenty of room for debate in between. Anyone on here think that Canada is just too big, seeing as we have complete disagreements about the way the country should be run based decided by the area of Canada you live in? (the majority anyway) Ex: Alberta always votes conservative....Maritimes always votes lefty.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 44
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/9/2007 2:53:34 PM

I know I'm not alone when I say I don't recognize this country anymore.

That would be the big country over the US.

I have nothing in common with anyone east of Saskatchewan.

Trust me ... no one will complain about it!

this nation rocked

Still does today. In fact it's even stronger today in many regards. Look it up when you will have a minute or two.

we are seen as a terrorists haven

By whom exactly? Let me help you...Just a few frustrated US politicians who needed to show that they are doing something to try to stay in power. They even provided a 234 page report "report" acusing Canada of being a safe haven for terrorist which was not only criticized by the Canadian goverment but by by more more around the globe. Also numerous other countries, including leading industrialized nations like Britain, France and Germany, are also critiqued in the 234-page report, along with the likes of Algeria, Indonesia and Russia. Funny thing is, the US never talks about themself even if they were attacked on numerous occasions. Go figure huh? Ohh I know, it's because they all came from Canada therefore it wasn't their fault...right?

many Canadians act smug against the Americans yet we allow gay marriage making us a laughing stock

Canadians a laughing stock? No, I would say just you right now.

we are part of Nato yet when the bell finally rang and we were needed by our American friends the liberal gov't at the time said no we won't help you and then we wonder why there is an anti Canadian feeling growing in the US can you blame them?

I hope you were not dumb enough to talk about Iraq.

I'm sick and tired of Quebec getting everything it wants at the expense of the rest of the nation

Why dont you provide us with something more than just your opinion? I sure would be interested of reading how Quebec is getting everything at others expense.

the sheep in the east will likely install another liberal gov't

I think you forgot BC which is in the west
 Etownboy79
Msg: 46
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/9/2007 8:29:30 PM
Hey!! Last 2 posts....RELAX!

Your sarcastic comments directed at nightcowboy are way out of line. The thread topic is about what peoples opinions are of Canada today...not what you think of nightcowboy's opinion of Canada, which was a gentle and uninsulting opinion that was hardly deserving of your high school girlish hissy fits.

As an Albertan I can sympathize with night. Depending on where you live in this huge country you get different perspectives about our leadership and it's politicians, and that's to be expected. Perhaps you might also feel a little alienated if the roles were reversed. Imagine that all the parliamentary decision making happened in Calgary, by a team of bureaucrats who have hardly ever been to Montreal or Toronto, and they are making decisions that are supposed to affect all of Canada. These people think they are making the right decision for their area, and perhaps they are, but what works out here may not be the best answer for issues happening 1500 miles away in the east. Add to this hypothetical equation that you have a ressource which is used not only by the rest of Canada but the world as well, and you have some know it all bureaucrats making decisions on how this oil will be taxed, supervised etc.. It gets kind of frustrating to be the ones making everything happen and the second you turn your head there is some new law or policy which you have to work around that helps no one but the people on the other side of the country.

Other things that night talked about are fair arguments for the topic on this thread, whether you agree with his opinions or not doesn't really matter. He is right about the fact that the country is too big and the geographic distance between regions is enough to create the diversity between citizens which becomes a huge obstacle when national decisions are made.
 msquared
Msg: 47
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/9/2007 8:57:08 PM

Your sarcastic comments directed at nightcowboy are way out of line. The thread topic is about what peoples opinions are of Canada today...not what you think of nightcowboy's opinion of Canada, which was a gentle and uninsulting opinion

You might want to read his post again. He is negative towards immigrants, French Canadians, liberals, homosexuals, Ontario and Quebec, and that is just off the top of my head.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 48
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/11/2007 12:45:01 PM
Your sarcastic comments directed at nightcowboy are way out of line.

A little sarcasm doesn't hurt anyone more so when it needed to be answered in such way.

The thread topic is about what peoples opinions are of Canada today

ALL THREADS are about peoples opinions...period! But if you look around, you will notice that most bullshit will be addressed immediately as others have opinions as well.

He is right about the fact that the country is too big and the geographic distance between regions is enough to create the diversity between citizens which becomes a huge obstacle when national decisions are made.

WRONG!!! The size of the country has nothing to do with getting different perspectives about leadership or the diversity between citizens. Very small countries deal with the same problems as not everyone can possibly agree with government decisions. We are far from being unique on that issue.

It gets kind of frustrating to be the ones making everything happen and the second you turn your head there is some new law or policy which you have to work around that helps no one but the people on the other side of the country.

Alberta is doing amazingly well because of the oil sands and of course the high demand for fuels. This will not last forever...in fact, as soon as we truly start to work on alternative fuels, provinces from the west will be very pleased to be a part of this great nation but it will not prevent ****ing as that's what people do when they do not agree. On the plus side, you have another 10 good years in front of you...Enjoy!
 Etownboy79
Msg: 49
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/11/2007 7:56:40 PM

ALL THREADS are about peoples opinions...period! But if you look around, you will notice that most bullshit will be addressed immediately as others have opinions as well.

So then attack the opinions, not the person.

WRONG!!! The size of the country has nothing to do with getting different perspectives about leadership or the diversity between citizens. Very small countries deal with the same problems as not everyone can possibly agree with government decisions. We are far from being unique on that issue

I agree that small countries have their own inner conflicts, usually due to a difference in religious beliefs though. Canada, on the other hand, has it's inner conflicts because of it's size. We here in Canada are usually indifferent about other peoples' religious followings or their race etc. But, when it comes down to the region that you live in in Canada, different answers to political questions seem to be favoured. If you don't agree with this, than please explain why the maritimes are predominantly NDP, the east is historically very Liberal, and the west more Conservative?

Alberta is doing amazingly well because of the oil sands and of course the high demand for fuels. This will not last forever...in fact, as soon as we truly start to work on alternative fuels, provinces from the west will be very pleased to be a part of this great nation but it will not prevent ****ing as that's what people do when they do not agree.

Well, that's your theory, and that's fine. I happen to know that is takes a certain breed of person, usually the type of person that grew up on a farm and is no stranger to back-breaking labour, to actually be able to go up and stand working on the rigs. So, no, I don't think just anyone can do it. If the sands existed in Ontario I don't think it's as likely to produce the same numbers as it does here....but I can't back that up. What I'm more certain of is that Ontario would become more conservative quickly, because that seems to be the norm around the areas where oil is produced. Why do you suppose that is?

On the plus side, you have another 10 good years in front of you...Enjoy!

Well, thanks for that doomsday prophecy, I really appreciate it...I only hope that at your age (46 for those of you who don't know), and with that recoiling attitude and the mouth to back it up, that the same can be said for you sir.
 msquared
Msg: 50
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/11/2007 8:05:04 PM

I only hope that at your age (46 for those of you who don't know), and with that recoiling attitude and the mouth to back it up, that the same can be said for you sir.

What was that you were saying about attacking the opinion, not the person?

And why is it that you are defending Nightcowboy when he is doing the very thing you are blasting his critics for?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/12/2007 10:34:26 AM

I agree that small countries have their own inner conflicts, usually due to a difference in religious beliefs though

You just love to switch things around don't you? We are not talking about religious beliefs at all! But since you brought it up, sure a handful of countries had or have religious fanatics who will do all that they can to disrupt governmental affairs. This is far from being a majority of citizens in those countries. England being a perfect example with Catholics and Protestants. Some Protestants will elect Catholics just as well as some Catholics will elect Protestants. Why? They voted for a man...not a religion!

As far as ALL the other countries who DO NOT deal with religious fanatics, they still have the very same issues that we deal with all the time. Again, we are not unique in regards to disagreements with our government decisions.

please explain why the maritimes are predominantly NDP, the east is historically very Liberal, and the west more Conservative?

Which provinces are you talking about? Predominantly as in polical power? New-Brunswick? Nope..Liberal Nova Scotia? Nope again...PC. Maybe in Prince Edward Island? Naaa PC were elected after the Liberal scandal.

As far as the west goes, by that you meant ONLY Alberta as no other provinces in the west are PC...Right?

I happen to know that is takes a certain breed of person, usually the type of person that grew up on a farm and is no stranger to back-breaking labour, to actually be able to go up and stand working on the rigs. So, no, I don't think just anyone can do it.

You kinda lost me on that one. Although I agree with that comment, have i mentioned anything about the type of person it takes to work on an oil rig???

If the sands existed in Ontario I don't think it's as likely to produce the same numbers as it does here....but I can't back that up.

I'm sure that the great citizens of Ontario would find that one quite comical.

Well, thanks for that doomsday prophecy, I really appreciate it

Again switching things around huh? Who talked about a “doomsday prophecy”? Unless you are not from this earth, most logical people will agree that alternative fuels will have to be develop within 10 years from now if we want to continue to live on this planet. That simply means that the world demand for oil will be greatly reduce once those new alternative fuels will be on the market. For example, battery and natural gas operated cars. Now, it doesn’t mean that Alberta will slowly die because it will not be able to sell as much hydrocarbons, but it surely means that it will not make the profits it’s making right now hence the reason to be quite happy to be a part of this great nation.

I really appreciate it...I only hope that at your age (46 for those of you who don't know), and with that recoiling attitude and the mouth to back it up, that the same can be said for you sir.

Childish at best!
 Etownboy79
Msg: 52
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/14/2007 6:28:57 PM
As far as nightcowboy goes.....I didn't notice his earlier and more cinical post where he was indeed a little crass. I only saw your answer to his second post which seemed to be an unfair and uncalled for retort, so, sorry. However, I agree with most of what he says despite his lack of tact in his approach.

You just love to switch things around don't you? We are not talking about religious beliefs at all!

What we were talking about was how other countries have conflicts. Your position was that even small countries have conflicts just like Canada does ergo Canada is not too big since the size of the country is irrelevant to it's inner harmony. I submitted to you that most other small countries have their inner conflicts due to a difference in religious beliefs within, which is not one of Canada's problems ergo that argument was invalid, that's all, I wasn't trying to switch anything around on you and play dirty.

England being a perfect example with Catholics and Protestants

But England doesn't have a problem with their own religious diversity like the other small countries do, protestants let Catholics be Cathoilcs and vice versa, so that example doesn't really apply.

Again, we are not unique in regards to disagreements with our government decisions.

Agreed, but I think if we were able to downsize the country into the regions where the people living there seem to have a fairly unison political view that things would just be easier and no one could complain about the unfair voting power of Ont. which usually decides the way the country will be run anyway. Seriously, I don't expect you guys to understand, but how is it fair that a party like the Reform party, which works great for Alberta, will never see more than a place in the oppositions seat just because it doesn't work well for Ontario, and we get federally out muscled by vote count? That's why Canada is too big.

Which provinces are you talking about? Predominantly as in polical power? New-Brunswick? Nope..Liberal Nova Scotia? Nope again...PC. Maybe in Prince Edward Island? Naaa PC were elected after the Liberal scandal.

I thought that historically the provinces were predominantly what I said they were, was I wrong? Before the last election, for at least the two elections before that, wasn't Ont always liberal until the scandal, and most maritimes NDP?

You kinda lost me on that one. Although I agree with that comment, have i mentioned anything about the type of person it takes to work on an oil rig???

You commented that Alberta was only doing well because of the oil sands. I offered that maybe it was the people that work on the oil sands that actually make the difference, and not the location of the geography as you would have me believe. Anyone can have oil sands, not everyone can work them.

I'm sure that the great citizens of Ontario would find that one quite comical.

I don't know why that was a three laughing guy moment to you, because it made perfect sense to me.

Again switching things around huh? Who talked about a “doomsday prophecy”?

You did when you said:

You still have a good ten years left....Enjoy!

Please explain how you expected me to receive that differently?

Unless you are not from this earth, most logical people will agree that alternative fuels will have to be develop within 10 years from now if we want to continue to live on this planet.

More highly debatable green party rhetoric, but thanks for incinuating that I must be from another planet if I don't agree with you and another small handful of extreme fear-mongering enviromentalists. The world is gonna end ........lol, that's a three laughing guy moment to me and many others.

Childish at best!

Wah wah wah

So was this....

You still have a good ten years left....Enjoy!
 Etownboy79
Msg: 53
What is Canada?
Posted: 1/14/2007 6:50:52 PM

Unless you are not from this earth, most logical people will agree that alternative fuels will have to be develop within 10 years from now if we want to continue to live on this planet.

Only most logical people will agree? Hmm, if your position is so logical, why not all logical people agree? lol
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 57
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 5/17/2007 10:53:44 PM
"Stolen" lands huh?

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf109/sf109p02.htm

Think again. looks more like "re-taken" lands not stolen.

That doesn't make mistreatment by early governments or churches any more right though. But it also doesn't make special treatment and separate laws anymore correct either. The fact is most of us native or not were born here and are canadian in blood and bone, lax immigration policy is a separate matter (immigration is great but select people that will benefit the country not bring prejudice and hate from abroad to our doorstep).

Backwordduck if you pay attention to what is going on in the world we are quiet safe from fomented dissent over oil, now if water becomes the next "gold" it will be time to really watch our collective asses.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 61
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 5/18/2007 8:24:20 PM

And we have the Air Farce :)

You forgot Rick Mercer's Monday Report
 ItsMargo
Msg: 62
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 5/19/2007 1:47:47 PM
What is Canada? The default definition is "not American". We have so much trouble defining ourselves. Part of this difficulty stems from Canadian reserve (we don't go about thumping our chests) and, as other posters have pointed out... the tremendous regional diversity combined with a huge land mass that is sparcely populated (huddled along the 49th parallel for the most part for warmth and better trading conditions), makes it hard to pull together as one unified "voice".
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 72
view profile
History
What is Canada?
Posted: 5/27/2007 11:57:38 PM
The less rebellouis twin of british making, and Austraila and New Zeland are the same way. Britian and Ireland. See, the British gave America the english style banking system, and the Candains the scottish banking system. Loons dont bother me at all. We been neighbors for 200 years, and nothing changes the rich states get rob to fund welfare programs, and subsidies for the poor states. They should of diveded the country east to west instead of North to South. The reason can a person in South Dakota that is a rancher realate to the lifestyle of a person in Boston no? The same applies in Saskwacthwan to a libby in Ottawa. Still, both countries will go along doing the normal commerce and trade in goods.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > What is Canada?