Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Curry lovers..a special breed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Grovey
Msg: 1
Curry lovers..a special breed? Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Okay, fess up to all the curry lovers around here. I know that we're a special breed of people and not everyone's cup of tea. And I'm talking the big time curry lovers who crave the slow burn. Anyone go Vindaloo? Also looking for fast curry recipes.
 want to travel
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Curry lovers..a special breed?
Posted: 6/2/2008 10:02:49 AM
I love curry, I do not think it makes for a special breed, just people who are open to trying it
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/2/2008 11:20:08 AM
I love the Japanese Katsu curry in addition to all the other types(Indian and Thai foremost), not so much of a burn just the 'flavour' of the curry but the crispy battered chicken/pork adds some tasty crunch absent from most Indian types.
 Mainebrighteyes4u
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:09:11 PM
I just LOVE curry, and there are times when I eat it daily for weeks on end. I have a few favorite restaurants locally.
I recently discovered that the natural brand "Seeds of Change" has ready-to-go curry sauces at the grocery store. The Korma is fantastic! I have also been using the organic mixes by Arora Creations - the directions on the label are step by step and oh so simple and tasty......
Just last week I found a ready to heat and eat line of Indian food, called Kitchens of India.
I know these aren't actual recipes, but hey, these above choices are so yummy and hard to mess up!!
BTW, there have been some studies that indicate eating curry daily is GOOD for your health. I was happy to see that!

Enjoy!
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/3/2008 12:53:41 PM
Mmmmm Thai curry. Red, yellow or green.
drools
 vbxtc
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 8:32:23 PM
I'm a huge fan of Caribbean curries, and goat curry is my all-time favorite. I hope you like this one. For those who like heat, there's a great hot sauce made in Barbados (Lottie's) that can be substituted (or added to) the Scotch Bonnet in this recipe. But be careful, the stuff's dynamite! It can be found at: http://www.hotsauce.com/Barbados-Hot-Sauces-at-HotSauce-com-s/37.htm

Jamaican Curried Goat

2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3 pounds goat, cut into small serving pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 fresh Scotch Bonnet pepper, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup coconut milk
beef or chicken stock
Salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
juice 1/2 lime

Melt the shortening in a skillet and brown the meat all over. Remove to a covered heavy casserole. Saute the onion in the fat remaining in the skillet until transparent. Add the curry powder and Scoth Bonnet, and saute, stirring for a couple of minutes. Add to the casserole with the bay leaf, allspice, coconut milk, and enough stock to cover the meat. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and simmer gently until the meat is tender, about 2 hours. Just before serving add the lime juice, and cook 2 or 3 minutes longer.

Goes great with a Red Stripe!
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:30:29 PM
I love Thai green curry, Vietnamese curry, and many Indian curries. I think some of the Indian curries are absolutely the tastiest foods in the world. Oh, and I like Nepali curry, too. That about exhausts my experience of curry. I don't like real hot, just a little heat. Really, I like the complex flavors. Some day I'd like to learn to make them but I don't have the patience for it right now.

I may be special, but I don't think a love of curry is *that* unique.
 arwen52
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:32:10 PM

I'm a huge fan of Caribbean curries, and goat curry is my all-time favorite.

I forgot about Jamaican goat curry. Yes, love that, too!
 Miss W
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/7/2008 4:12:30 PM
I enjoy curry, but it is something that I do not try it at home as the one time I did, my house smelled like BO for about 10 days afterwards, despite running an air purifier, airing things out, etc. Does anyone have a solution?
 Miss W
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/7/2008 11:17:23 PM
^^^Thank you for you have given me the first great answer ever on this subject! I have posted this question on cooking sites and have not gotten good answers. In a nutshell, as fabulous as curries are, they do have lingering odors.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 2:45:49 AM
Curry is a generic term. I grew up thinking curry was that yellow stuff in a jar. Curry is as diffrent as the person making it...

A Jamaican curried goat is as different to a Chinesse Curry Prawns as an Indian curried cauliflower.
 oceaneyess
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 8:21:10 PM
For a nice variation to deviled eggs...add curry to the egg yolk/mayo filling...very tasty.
 michele6259
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2009 12:32:26 PM
So interesting to hear everyone's opinions on curry.
I am new to these dishes, one that my mother never made.
At a friends party she served a cold chicken salad with celery,cashews and grapes
with a curried mayo! wow so good!
So I began looking into curries and chose to make Pad Tai Curry that was loved by my family. We also tried a Tai dish with red red curry paste and coconut milk. Its so good w/chicken, shrimp or Halibut with jasmine rice.
thanks for the inspiration to try even more.
 MOD3
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/19/2009 12:37:29 PM
I like all kinds of curry..But I really like the K&B curry from japan(a little on the sweeter side than traditional Indian or Thai)...As for special breeds..I guess we have to be..Sometimes the smell takes days to leave the house,clothes and fingers!!But I do love the stuff..MOD
 MOD3
Msg: 16
Curry lovers
Posted: 11/29/2009 12:15:53 PM
Alisha123c..Ok..Ok..I was a bit over the top when I said "days" to get the curry smell out of the house/hands etc..etc..Ok..Maybe a few hours..I love curry and cook and eat it when I can..Ill even try to use your way of making curry..And I'm never embarrassed either(I actually get complimented all the time when I make different foods from different countries....We all cook here and its a great fourm to get ideas from..Post one of your "english dishes" with curry sometime..I'd love to take a look at it.....MOD3
 curlygrl
Msg: 17
Curry lovers
Posted: 12/2/2009 6:26:25 PM
I thought this thread said "curly" lovers. shoot.

Curry. yes love it. I made turkey curry salad the other night
with left over turkey with some grapes I had. Great stuff.

Does anyone know where I can get that 23 spice for Moroccan food
though here in the states. Im searching everywhere - even on line.
 Rythmn
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2010 2:12:40 PM
where i live, curry is like wonderbread was in the 50's. i would not even know where to start. what do you like to eat? i don't eat four legged animals, but have a zillion and one recipes for veggie, fish and chicken curry. one thing i do know, there are all kinds of spices and even with the same name attached to the label. for tandoori, there are some wonderful preparations here. i used to have a tandoori clay oven. now i just cheat and sprinkle the spices as i roast. some prepackaged blends are way better than others. i found a good curry blend in our local health food store. however, i like it more towards the hot range. i often use tumeric or cumin individually.

for tea, i sprinkle cardamon and ginger on the top after preparation. i use splenda, because of the calories, but most use sugar. most indian restaurants used condensed milk. it's too sweet for me, so i use evaporated which i also heat up with the tea before sprinkling my spices.

i have had japanese curry, prepared by my foreign students, but it is less available here. they brought special spices from japan. as for samosas if you want "quick", you can google for a recipe that appeals to you and cheat by buying frozen potatoes that are already julienned or diced. i often "forget" the dough wrapping and the frying due to watching my weight. instead i just spice the potatoes with the particular recipe i am trying out and often just bake it in a glass dish and section like you would brownies. not as good, i admit. but it does the trick for me.

thai food has some similarities with indian food--with a bit more chinese flavors mixed together it seems. peruvian food also shares some of the tricks. i use more coconut in that preparation. i suppose it all comes together if you trace migrations over the course of history.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2010 6:39:11 PM
^^^Yes, the Kitchens of India Butter Chicken paste is pretty good. If you read the reviews on Amazon, even the Indians say the taste is authentic. I've also tried the Biryani pastes and they're also very good if you like spicy rice dishes. I would recommend you try the single packs available at grocery stores that have International sections to see if you like it before you buy the six packs from Amazon.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Curry lovers..a special breed?