Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe in this saying?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 4
Do you believe in this saying? Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
no

i dont believe in it

there is a fine line between say looking at an attractive person but to actually flirt and so forth with someone other than your SO is disrespectful to me and destrimental (sp?)to the relationship

you're just tearing apart the fabric of your love

how's that for a saying?
 shon92651
Msg: 8
Do you believe in this saying?
Posted: 11/11/2006 1:11:44 PM
I heard the phrase somewhere "If you wouldn't do it, if your lover was standing right there next to you, then it's cheating".

that makes sense to me.

When I'm with a girl I wouldn't flirt with another girl, because it'd probably make her sad if she knew.

option A, flirt with other girl, be honest, make my baby sad

option B, flirt with ohter girl, keep it secret, and feel like shit the next time my baby smiles at me.

option C, Remain a free agent

option D, Save all that good stuff for your girl.

to me C, and D are the only way to go.

but let me be really clear, no one is going to take away my right to mentally undress any, and every good looking woman I see.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/11/2006 2:01:27 PM
I'm giving everyone who agreed with me a big rainbow lollipop!
 Ldygmr
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/11/2006 3:05:17 PM
Yes.

I do think it is perfectly okay for arousal to be garnered outside the partners circle of influence. What one does with said arousal....That is the important part.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/11/2006 3:09:54 PM
It's not rocket science, do a thread search for cheating and flirting and see how many try to push the edge of the envelope and what the general consensus is.
If you're not happy with the person you're with do them the favor and leave. If you have some incessant need to try to garner attention from the opposite sex then you don't belong in a relationship. And don't deserve to be in one.
 shon92651
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/12/2006 12:31:35 AM

I also like what Shon said.....if you wouldn't do it standing next your
S.O. don't do it behind their back!

Yeah, I wish that were my pearl of wisdom....can't remember where I heard it.

We (the ex and me) once had a conversation about him being friends with his exes

You know you hear this said, it's expressed, that if you're a mature, secure, trusting, and fair person, that you will be alright with your girl hanging out with her ex(s).

So way back when I had my first girlfriend, in the begining of our relationship I did that, I tried to be that guy, because I thought that I was supposed to. But I found that it really didn't sit well with me. So I told her about it, that I couldn't be that guy, she understood, and stayed away from him.

Somehow these days, when people here the word "jealous" they often smirk and fire back "insecure" or "I guess you don't trust her".
No. I just don't want my girl still hanging around with someone she used to ****. or associate romantically with. I think that's pretty natural, and any idea that we're given, that that is a silly, or base feeling is wrong.

I think that jealous is something that we can all feel, and I think that a good woman (or man for that matter) should care about their lover way too much to let them feel jealousy.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/12/2006 1:24:06 AM
lol

((hands out a big bag of leftover halloween rainbow lollipops))
 Randominternetguy
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 10:33:56 AM
I think there needs to be a better definition of what is being described here.

If I'm walking down the mall with my SO and I notice a woman walking the other way, is that what is being described here?

Or I say to my SO, "Why can't you do that?" or something similar.

Or I leave my SO to go talk to this women, is that what is being described?

Or at a party I flirt with someone else, is that what is being described?

It seems different people have interpreted what tempting your appetite means and answered accordingly.

I've always interpreted this saying (I heard it as "I don't care where you get your appetite, as long as you eat at home") as the first example.

Actively pursueing someone, only to say "I'm only flirting" seems incongruent to me.

However, I can't ever see me getting into a relationship (again) with a women who wants someone with an "I only have eyes for you" outlook. Meaning, I don't "see" any other women.

Boy, all these words carry so many alternate meanings I'm finding it difficult to be unambiguous. There is attraction that is very personally based, and attraction that is not. The fact I choose to be in a relationship with someone has everything to do with the unique and specific common experiences we've shared plus other things concerning intimacy. The fact I like to observe thick, tall, busty women walking down the mall doesn't negate why I'm with someone.

My experience has been some women don't have a problem with it, some do. If I do get into a serious relationship with someone, she will be the former kind.

--Bob
 bucsgirl
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:33:07 AM
If someone's "tempting their appetites" outside of their relationship, then how much do they value that relationship? Also what is the potential for good and what's the potential for bad. People who are indecisive or want to straddle the fence between involved and available just aren't worthy of and shouldn't BE in a relationship in the first place.
You always have to wonder what would be the reaction if it was the OP's partner asking the question....would that be considered okay, or is it just okay for one person? You can bet it'd be a different story if the OP caught their partner reaching for the cookie jar!!
 ClearedForTakeoff
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:47:03 AM
This must be a Human saying. Hmm... methinks that the whole idea of consuming... wait... I am about to say something stupid.

I have a new desk to put together. Does anyone know what Side "F" looks like?

Darwin-Sagan
 AwP
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:49:12 AM

The saying I have heard is, "You can look at the menu, but you gotta eat at home!"

This is how I've always heard it too. I think it's ok to look at the menu, but not to get an appitizer or a drink before you go eat at home. Looking but no flirting.
 carissima
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:53:57 AM
We are all tempted in this life. Tempted by many different things, but it's the strength, respect and reserve you show yourself against the temptation that illustrates the Man/Woman you are.
 Ron9
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/25/2007 7:05:03 PM
Oh I so miss meatloaf.

<<< will trade sex for meatloaf.
 JoeSentMe
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:08:30 PM
If you need to, “wet your appetite” somewhere else, you better just eat there too, cause while your salivating over your *appetizer* your *dinners gonna get COLD. ;)
 baycitymom
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/26/2007 8:08:34 AM
I do...just because your on a diet doesn't mean that you can't look at the menu, right? I think that just because your in a relationship it doesn't mean that you can't look. As long as it stops there.
 Shamrock14
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2007 6:25:06 PM
Indeed I do. If you want to be with someone else then you end your current relationship before you start your new one. I hate people who play games with other peoples mind and affections..cheating is the cowards way and does nothing but injure innocent parties..usually the kids if there are any. I hate liars and cheats with a passion and believe they are just weak willed people with no balls or consideration for others. And before you ask I am not aware that any of my partners cheated on me so I dont hve any personal experience of being cheated on, it is just my own opinion.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/6/2007 7:48:25 PM
Anything you do that your partner doesn't know about that you wouldn't do if they were there and KNEW about it....that's cheating as far as I'm concerned.
I have respect for myself, my relationship and my man, so there's no temptation for anything with any other man. I have male friends, I interact with other men at work, and out socially. I'm not locked in a basement, we all encounter in our daily lives people of the opposite sex and they're not poison, no need to try to avoid them. I don't expect my partner to try to avoid interacting with other females, either or get rid of his female friends. It's a matter of priorities and knowing where your heart and mind are.
Temptation is only a problem when you're not secure in what you have.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/6/2007 8:01:14 PM
Well DUH...smack me in the forehead and call me stupid. I just now checked the OP's profile. He's single....geez, I feel so USED! He's not in a relationship...if he's eating at home, it's more than likely a frozen dinner or take-out. *hits self with the dumb stick*...UGH!
 jj256
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/6/2007 8:17:05 PM
I think it goes like this..."Doesn't hurt to read the menu....as long as you always eat at home"
 PickyProfessional
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/11/2007 12:57:37 PM
i won't even put up with a guy who "looks." if he's with me, i'd better be the end-all-and-be-all in his mind...and he had better be that in my mind. if not there's no point in continuing. why settle for a half-baked relationship?

in addition, it's HIGHLY insulting. if i'm not the best in his eyes, then buzz off. same here. i will not date someone if i feel a compulsion to check out other men. if i'm gawking at other men, it means only one thing: i don't see the guy i'm with as the best. so, no point in dating him. it wouldn't be satisfying to me and it wouldn't be fair to him.
 Brass Monkey
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/11/2007 8:45:20 PM
But, isn't "flirting" misinterpreted by people?

Case in point, if you're in the service industry, what some people consider "flirting" often leads to good tips.
 Cynderella
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2007 11:44:07 PM
It's just a step away from cheating...
I don't like cheaters...nope!
 prolibertate
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/12/2007 11:32:13 AM
OP, no I don't believe in that saying...I do believe in tempting my man enough at home so that anyone else's feeble attempts won't even make a dent ;) There's a huge difference between being friendly and being flirty when you're in a relationship and/or marriage; and sometimes that line can get crossed even when one had no intentions of crossing it...If one is happy at home, there's no need to tempt their appetite anywhere else.
 c_yprus
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/13/2007 10:32:57 PM
if you are always tempting your appetite , sooner or later you will give in to temptation.
 jj256
Msg: 102
Posted: 10/12/2012 12:27:05 PM
Heard it this way "Don't hurt to read the menu..... but always eat at home"
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe in this saying?