Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do so many people seem to hate cops?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 7
Why do so many people seem to hate cops?Page 1 of 69    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
because there are still too many pompous power-trippers behind badges running rampant in society!
 junipermoon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Why do so many people seem to hate cops?
Posted: 11/13/2006 1:35:00 PM
i never had a problem with police until i moved to this town.

i see them harass old people, issue parking tickets illegally and generally go ballistic about stupid victimless infractions. all this, while ignoring the crackhouses, underage drinking and drug trafficking that goes on under their noses. they're terrified of the 20-something rednecks that run this town. no one from outside the area ever gets hired by this police department. they won't hire blacks or women either. they've spent a fortune on a new coffee lounge for the cop shop, while blocks away, playgrounds fall into disrepair.

hate cops? not in general...just in this town.
 Paddy O Furniture
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2006 10:28:20 PM
I did'nt start hating cops until I finally figured out why there were never any donuts left at the donut shop whenever I would stop by on my way to work
 Paddy O Furniture
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2006 11:33:57 PM
On a serious note....I work closely with Law Enforcement and I've known alot of officers over the years.

Are there some punk cops? Sure there are. Are there cops that take advantage of their power and the trust that people put in them? Sure there are. Thing is, is that you can choose any public service sector whether government or civillian and point those types out.

Most of the cops I've known are honest, decent people who are doing thankless things in thankless situations for thankless people. They are people too and they want their children to live in a safe environment as much as anyone else does. We forget about the human side of those who wear the uniform and carry a badge. And we forget that they are citizens of their respective communities just like you and I.

junipermoon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 6:35:17 AM
msg 37:

yes. in my town, i trust the ups guy more than i do the police. he served in the marine corps and has the scars to prove it.

when i've called to police, due to fights in my building, i hear them in the hallway, yukking it up with the drunk, stoned, out-of-control kids.

i wish the ups guy lived in my building.
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/14/2006 8:55:59 AM
Ben,
I know you probably take it personally, when you hear that
a lot of people don't care for cops. I wonder what you would
say if someone you loved had bad experiences with cops.
Many cops abuse that badge.
 toonsmith
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 10:26:50 AM
Unfortunately, cops earn the state a lot of money in speed trap towns. Even if you are not speeding through our town, they usually pull you over to see if you have insurance or if your seatbelt is unbuckled. They harass a lot of people in our area and make a bundle for the state.
 2findU
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2006 4:35:34 PM
Criminals hate Cops. Everyone else just doesn't want to get a speeding ticket or some other moving violation.
 Flyers_Phan
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2006 2:13:24 PM
I shake my head whenever i see a cop go through a red light, i mean, they put on their flashers, go through, then turn em off. Guess they gotta hit the nearest Timmies for their donut quota. Its rather obvious that they are not in an emergency situation, rather they feel because they have a badge, they can use it to their advantage and be impatient****.
 techguy
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/17/2006 4:03:28 PM

People that hate cops are most often the ones the cops are looking for.

God-d@mn that's hot. Anyway, I think older cops tend to get jaded and corrupted into thinking EVERYONE is bad. They deal with so many awful people that they tend to get a twisted view on reality.

Paddy O Furniture
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 10:48:05 PM
Its the most thankless job in the world and I for one am thankful for every man and woman willing to do it.
 arri
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/19/2006 12:07:35 PM

In some countries it is not respected as a career, in some other countries a police officer is almost as "nice guy" as Father Christmas.

Exactly ... and it's not exactly limited to countries. Difference neighborhoods, different cities .. all have different cultures and history that effect the perception of the people.
 kesstastic
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2006 4:04:05 PM
A lot of people hate cops because they generalize. A few bad experiences and hey they all must be bad right ? That's just how people tend to think. I don't think I hate cops, I don't appriciate getting harrassed my them, I've noticed some things with the RCMP in my area that didn't really make me feel good to having them "protect" me. And in this town it would be better to feel protected then not with all the crack-heads and drunks running around. The police here have generally treated me pretty good, I get pulled over quite a lot but I do tend to cruise around a lot later at night and drive a red car and use to know people that have now "gone bad" ( no better way to put it). Mostly I don't mind them to much though. Heh one thing kinda funny, I got pulled over for slowing down and switching lanes to avoid hitting an officer that had another car pulled over and was standing out in the middle of the street. He's buddy up ahead pulled quite the move getting around the medium through the closest intersection to turn around and come get me. Although all he got on me slowing down to much to avoid hitting the other officer.....hm still don't quite get that but he was cute and seemed nice enough. So that was my kinda funny story.
The story that makes me sad is a guy that lived the next town up, my age, a boozer, generally a sarcastic little runt (just a wee bit mouthy) got taken in for being drunk in public and being an ass to the policemen. He was a nice enough guy generally, just alil roudy (like most rednecks) when drunk. He got left alone with a younger officer while he was signing his release papers, and got shot point blank in the back of the head, dead. The officer that did it quite literally got away with murder, all that happened was he got tranferred to a desk job in a new city. btw anyone living in Kamloops watch out. He claimed self defense.......but how is point blank in the back of the head self defense to a guy with no weapons, who's hung over and probably just mouthy and cranky............now I can't say for sure what happened all considering......but in a station, with an unarmed young man....you think there would be other solutions. That is not something that makes me feel to safe about the RCMP, but I will say, that was just one bad duck. The worst part is that the RCMP let him get away with it, just transfered him. That doesn't send a good message, nor does it comfort the young mans family.
I have to agree the cops haven't been much help when i've felt the need to call them. But they have so many stupid rules to follow that really a lot of the times their hands are tied unless they want to be 'bad cops'.
A good Story about the rcmp, my friend and me where getting harrassed by this guy that really thinks he's an untouchable big shot, and the cops that sit in the bar parking lot after bar gave us a ride to where we were going, even though they couldn't do shit about the guy harassing us at least they gave us a ride home.
Hm the point. They are just human, some good some bad. Some are the sweetest folks you'd ever meet, others are scarier then ur average drug dealer....and they are allowed to carry a gun...yay...but thats life and nothing is fair and things rarely end up right. Just like it's not fair to say " I hate cops" or "I totally agree with anything the cops do" because in the end what would happen if you met a cop that was your soul mate ? Or one day a bad cop attacked you for no reason ? These things happen, we're all just people. Treat Officers with respect unless they prove they don't deserve it, then well......try not to get yourself arrested ! And sure a lot of them are****.......but thats why you can't give a lot of people power, its just how some people react.
Curious, to officers reading this post. Do you have to go through any kind of human relations type training, on how to treat people, like empathy to rape victims (i've noticed that is generally lacking) or to treat people that are, for example, speeding to get to work with more respect then they would a drug dealer or women beater ? Sometime it seems the really bad guys are treated nicer then normal people, is that just being careful...or is there a reason ? Or just basic humanish stupidity ?
Wow this has gone on forever. Sorry about that.
 diamond calves
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/20/2006 2:47:38 PM
Bullies who now wanto get paid to be bullies of the school yard, no difference. Forget the movies and that carefully edited show called Cops. See the reality. A drug dealer taker and bullie from my high school is now on the police force in my city pritty low isn't it. They get those jobs to keep people in fear, not to do good as you or I might. People in my city don't think of police the way we used to. Those who do are eather stupid or living in a cartoon world or have an emotional problem. The cops in my city were orderd to do a drug test and they have not cooperated so far and it's been proposed well over a year now. " Whats wrong...... you aren't guilty of anything are you police man?" Plus they have sex with the hookers and go to home to a poor wife after right after yuk testing testing 1,2,3
 Brain-In-A-Vat
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/21/2006 7:50:47 PM
There has been a common theme that I have noticed throughout many of the posts contained within this thread, and a previous post hinted at it - generalizations.

It seems as though many people have taken their personal experiences, or the experiences of family and friends and applied those experiences across the board. I should note that this comment applies to both those defending officers, and those being critical of the Police.

My own personal experiences have shaped my view of Law Enforcement in the city of Windsor, Ontario, and that opinion is not kind. I am a criminal defence attorney, and what I see when representing accused persons on a daily basis has definitely jaded my opinion of a number of members of our local police service. There is a culture of violence amongst a number of the younger officers on our force, so much so that more then one lawyer has devoted their entire practice to pursuing civil suits for cases of police brutality. That being said there are a number of officers who are solid people, who take pride in their job and perform it admirably.

I suppose my rant leads me to this comment - those officers who allow, take part in, or do nothing to prevent abuses of authority in whatever shape they may take only add to the poor public perception that plagues many police forces.

And with respect to the comments by Diamondbrooke; all lawyers are not evil...

designingwoman
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2006 9:56:07 AM
There are many wonderful cops out there. There are good and bad in every occupation, so there's no reason to hate all cops because of a bad few.

I remember having car trouble one night. The lights had gone out on my car. I was happy to see the cop pull me over to help me with the situation. The policeman arranged for me to park my car and gave me a ride in his cruiser to my friend's house so that her parents could give me a safe ride home. He was kind, warm and caring during a difficult time. I am grateful for this policeman's help when I most needed it.

Also years ago, a kindly South Carolina State Trooper changed my tire for me when the tire burst on my car. He is an angel as far as I'm concerned!
 toonsmith
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2006 10:01:10 AM
In regard to being a "low level tax collector", how much money do you think is made on traffic fines, it's substantial, but not astronomical. Cops don't just go out looking for speeders all the time, we just happen to be there when they come by, so as a part of our job, we stop them.

^^^^
It's substantial AND astronomical. Especially to the poor segment of the population who gets by on GAU and social security disability. Outragous fines at 12 percent interest.

Our newspaper is chock full of drivers cited for operating without a license. They can't afford to pay off the fines and live off of what they get.

It's not just speeders. I know many people in town angry as hell for getting ticketed for "failure to come to a complete stop" in the middle of nowhere. ESPECIALLY when you came to a complete stop.

We just happen to be there.... yup, especially when there are only two roads leading in and out of town and you pull over dozens of people a day checking seat belts and insurance.

You've turned a rural area into checkpoint charlie where poor people live and cops make a fortune for the state. The fines are substantial and astronomical and they hurt the most vulnerable.....

....and people wonder why so many people seem to hate the cops?
 IdoAllmyOwnStunts
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 12:47:19 PM
i dont hate cops.. i hate getting arrested!
and do they have to use that phrase all the time?

"You in a heap O' Trouble Boy!"
 colt8301
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/12/2006 9:13:41 PM
sometimes when you get shot 60 times for pulling your wallet out it can be quite scary. Personally I have never called the cops for anything, I have been beaten, shot at, robbed, among other things and I am so scared cops will do something to me, I rather get justice on my own. personally about what you said about no law enforcement it would not bother me personlly because as I mention before people can do anything to me but I will never call the cops. I don't hate cops I just don't trust them alot of criminals hide behind their badges.
 Flyers_Phan
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2006 10:29:24 PM
perhaps this is another all to familliar reason why, at least it seems to happen quite a bit. Cops doing criminal things and the crown doesnt lay charges, instead, they do investigations under the police services act. To highlight some of the article

No charges against booze party officers
The Mississauga News
Dec 14, 2006

No criminal charges will be laid against a group of off-duty police officers who chased and roughed up two Mississauga men who filmed them at an outdoor summer booze party.

Criminal charges would have "no reasonable prospect of conviction," Crown lawyers decided.

Two Mississauga men filed a complaint with police after they videotaped officers drinking behind an Erin Mills business establishment in August.

Funny, if i did something similar, i dont think the crown would do that for me, or you, but for a cop, sure. You wonder why people hate them? Because of stupid crap like this. Protecting their own. And ya, I know they say they will be charged, so what, do you think they will lose their jobs? I doubt it, they're probably suspened with pay right now. Man, cops have it made.
 designingwoman
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:17:16 AM
Hate is just such an overreaction to the minority of cops who are bad eggs. I know many cops, and they are the epitome of class. They helped me in times of need, and for that I am grateful.
 baffled1
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/30/2006 6:35:59 PM
I lived with one for 8 years and he and his friends were the nastiest power trippers, hard fisted opionated, hard drinking, sobs walking and yes the brotherhood does cover for each other with their us vs them mentality, but I agree we do need them to help enforce the law to bad they become something less than human as the cretins remain longer in the pd.
 Brain-In-A-Vat
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:10:07 PM
I commented earlier in this thread about the reasoning that certain people are using when posting their thoughts; specifically I commented on generalizations.

Stating all Cops are bad because those Cops 'you' have dealt with have been bad is weak reasoning and argument. Conversely, stating all Cops are good on the same basis is equally weak in terms of reasoning and argument.

It would seem that too many people hate all cops based on this type of reasoning.
 brandy_n_3
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/4/2007 12:04:27 AM
I am not about to read all the replies to this post, far too many, but had to toss my 2 cents in anyway. I do not hate cops but I certainly don't trust them. The police force out here is corrupt enough as it is. But I have had experiences when I needed the police to protect me and they didn't. One situation where I was raped by an exboyfriend when I was 19, the officer flat out told me their was no point in pressing charges because it was my word against his. Another situation, my neighbor threatened to kill my children because one of my kids was swearing(the 3 year old who had heard the words but didn't yet understand they were wrong to say). We had witnesses, the officer came spoke to him and then told me to keep my kids indoors for now on. That was it! So as a result I am now moving to ensure my children are safe. I am sure there is good cops out there, I just have no experience with any.
 4Suns3
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2007 9:53:34 AM
of course there are good & bad people in every profession. But let's face it: a lot of cops tend to be on power trips; they have a high divorce rate; a lot of the male cops cheat on their wives; they see a lot of the "ugly" in society & have a difficult time letting the job stay at the job & take it home; a lot of them are heavy drinkers & partiers because it's one way to cope with the "ugly"; they tend not to trust humans because of all the nasty people they do come across & tend to be suspicious of even normal, law abiding citizens; some of their minds become twisted from all the garbage they see. Cops & firemen have their "brotherhood" & look out for each other. Eg. They don't give speeding tickets to family.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do so many people seem to hate cops?