Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Learning Disabilities      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 2
Learning DisabilitiesPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
No joke here, .. but I'm starting think that every single person in this world has some kind of issue!

one may have a learning disability
another a physical disability
a third a mental disorder
and so on and so on

...its only a barrier if you make it a barrier. I find once its accepted as part of who you are, in terms of dating, its no longer a foremost thing to mention anymore.
 andiedandie
Msg: 5
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 11/19/2006 2:29:39 AM
I have a condition called Fibromyalgia and although it is primarily a chronic pain condition there are other syptoms/effects that come into play with this...one of them being cognitive disabilites... when I may be overwhelmed, tired mentally and/or physically...or just plain old stumped we refer to it as fibro-fog...things that you normally would be able to recall, simple words...processing concepts/info and sometimes just simply retaining information that was just said to you is extremely difficlut... and even sometimes do transpose numbers or become slightly dislexic... even proof reading things sometimes I miss the spelling typos...infact I'm sure there's some in here now...but too tired to proof! LMAO

... It can be very frustrating when you don't function the same as you use to or know that other are able to...however I have learned that it has been crucial to accept things, have a sense of humour when I do make a mistake and know that sometimes its just about modifying the way you do things in order to accomplish the ultimate goal.
 spbpt
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 11/19/2006 8:19:23 PM
both my sons have LD.......one was with me at the brunch today and we both enjoyed ourselves.........for the most part I have supplemented school with tutors because they did not get enough help.....

the whole subject of intolerant and ignorant people is another subject........my younger son [also as another poster mentioned] takes exams orally with much better results...

thx for bringing up this topic, Rock
 spbpt
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 11/19/2006 8:20:15 PM
sorry ryguy

I meant ryguy
 Just 4 You
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 4/19/2007 7:03:28 PM
Shawn,

I'm from Victoria and really had fun up at Mount Washington this season with the BC Disabled Skiing Association. Have you ever tried sit skiing? It's a blast! Just like riding a bike as you lean into the corners and round you go! A lot of kids say it looks cool and ask where they can get one. Did you know that having a disability gives you the same privelage as seniors? You join the BC Disabled Skiing Association and can get a season's pass for Half Price! I got a Mon - Fri pass for only $199. Weekdays are the best as kids are in school. Or if you're only going once or twice, if you've joined the society, you get a day pass for half price ($22.50). There's a room designated for skiers with disabilities where you can keep your stuff up there all season long for free, and they have about 12 sit ski devices at four different skill levels... two ski basic, two ski racer, one ski basic, one ski racer. The single ski is the fastest and most addictive! You've got to try it! Stick to that "I'll try anything" attitude!

Matthew (epilepsy)
 spring_babe
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 4/19/2007 7:29:06 PM
I teach High School........and I admire any one who has met head on an undiagnosed/or diagnosed learning difficulty.....it simply amazes me to see how so many people with challenges triumph over what may seem insurmountable odds. I see many students helping one another and are quite frank about their disability and have friends who co-study and read for them/write for them....it still blows me away when I think about it!
Schooling has come a long way since the day I was a student.....Still remember my mom saying...."never judge someone until you have walked in their shoes".....HOW TRUE!
KUDOS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!
 Just 4 You
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 4/19/2007 8:03:23 PM
Hey there Blondie and others...
You know the phrase... "It takes one to know one?"
Well, it works because I met a woman with much the same issues as me, and we got along really well together. Her parents approve of me too, as she's finally found someone who treats her as an equal. Well, pretty soon the single bed in my apartment got replaced with a King Sized Inflatable Bed on the Living Room floor, and a bottle of Chocolate Sauce. The rest is.... well.... let your mind wander!!!

There's always going to be someone out there who can accept you as an equal, and don't ever let people tell you "Two Wrongs don't make a Right". I went through that phase with the parents of so many women looking for someone better for their daughter. But I've finally found someone with a very friendly family who've welcomed me into their lives. One day, you'll all find the perfect someone!

Matthew
 First Lady
Msg: 13
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 4/20/2007 8:59:33 PM
What a great thread.

I have a granddaughter who was diagnosed with ADD when she was in Grade 2.

From the time she was born - it was difficult for her to concentrate, focus or listen. It was a struggle for her mom from the time she woke up until the time she went to bed. You could give her one thing to remember - and 2 seconds later - she would forget. She had no friends, could barely write, couldn't read, and could not follow instructions.

After many tests and a final diagnosis, she's being treated. She's now in Grade 5, an A-B student, has tons of friends, is a fantastic athlete and enjoys her life so much. If it wasn't for her Grade 2 teacher taking the initative to approach her mom and ask if she would be willing to have her tested - she wouldn't be the happy child she is today. Her mom thinks she suffered with the same disability when she was growing up - but she's never been tested. Thanks for posting op!
 famousp
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 5/28/2009 1:51:02 PM
Hi ive gone though the same situation as soon as I mentioned LD no more contact...j
 ~JaneSays~
Msg: 18
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 5/30/2009 7:32:43 PM
I think I have some mild learning disabilities--very mild. For one thing, I cannot differentiate between left and right without giving it a lot of thought. It helps to hold my hands up and make the letter L with my left hand.

I am a slow at auditory processing.

I also have fingers that bend in all kinds of directions and unusual pencil grip. Because I have some knowledge of learning disabilities, I understand that these good be soft neurological signs.

In fact, when I worked with the learning disabled population, it was easy to see little glimmers of learning disabilites in others.
 famousp
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 11/4/2011 7:55:00 PM
hi just read this 4 years latter,where are you from? look me up famousp from monroe ct
 famousp
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 11/4/2011 8:01:59 PM
IVE BEEN ON HERE FOR SO LONG MAKE A DATE THEY BREAK THE DATE WHATS GOING ON ANYTHING HAPPENING IN NEWTOWN CT THIS MONTH A SINGLE FLING WHERE WHEN FAMOUSP MONROE CT STILL FISHING NO LUCK
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 1/16/2012 12:09:22 PM
Not trying to be difficult here or overly PC....(politically correct).

just want to mention that today we see it...or I see it at least as a "learning difference".

we all learn differently, some of us are visual learners...some of us are book taught, others really need to be hands on depending on the task... some of us are quick to pick up a skill or a lesson, while others need more time and repetition.

if we look at it that way I do think there is less of a stigma and more of an acceptance and understanding of each other and even a..."ah ha" moment when we realize we are not all the same, it's not a cookie cutter world out there.
 foxyduff
Msg: 25
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 7/22/2013 3:20:02 AM
hi how are u I have the some ask u
 jonashram22
Msg: 26
Learning Disabilities
Posted: 8/6/2014 8:57:14 PM
hi i amlearning disabled. i am tim 47. i can work, drive, but find it hard to find same kind of lady to date. can you help me with findind site to date or is there one on here. thank you tim
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Learning Disabilities