Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Christmas Traditions w/kids suggestions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 la_mom
Msg: 1
Christmas Traditions w/kids suggestionsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I would really like to start a tradition with my two girls. Something really special we do each year at Christmas other than decorating the tree and leaving cookies for Santa. Anybody have a neat Christmas Tradition story to share? (Happy Holidays to you all, btw)
 TwinDaddy
Msg: 2
Christmas Traditions w/kids suggestions
Posted: 11/23/2006 4:38:07 PM
A great tradition for kids is making a gingerbread house, and letting them help you stick all the candies to it. Get a few different kinds of candy and let their imagination go.

My mother did that for my sister and I every year when we were kids, and we always got to smash the house into peices on New Years Eve after midnight and everyone would take peices to eat.
 ~TrueBlood~
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2006 4:51:47 PM

A great tradition for kids is making a gingerbread house

This is what we do too! We both look forward to it every year, especially the smashing! We do it midnight X-mas eve.

Other traditons? Becker's Egg Nog X-mas morning. When we are returning home late on X-mas eve night (we always celebrate with my dad's side on X-mas eve night, mom's side X-mas day)) we listen to a great radio station that tracks and updates where Santa is, and we ALWAYS see a light in the sky on the drive home (we are pretty sure it's Santa).

We also have a great tradition where everyone wears funny and silly X-mas hats when the gifts are being handed out - from standard Santa hats, to these long yellow braids, to red noses that wrap around your head, to a hat that is like 2 ft high and is a X-mas tree with eyes - it's hysterical, and gets funnier and funnier each year. Oh, and someone is always nominated to play Santa, and to get your first gift you have to sit on "Santa's" knee andsing one line of a X-mas song.

My daughter makes sure the outside light is on, it's her job. We always open stockings first, and for some reason Santa always nrings us a pair of matching nighties and matching socks.

I love X-mas - I love that my best childhood memories are now becoming hers and I would not trade it for anything.

I don't remember very many gifts I recevived, but I will always remember the family and the traditions we upheld every year. After all, that is what is important.
 sweetandreal
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/23/2006 5:23:49 PM
One traditions we have is making the trek to Fort Assinaboine to take part in the Journey to Bethlehem..this year was even better. I had to share, as it was an amazing discovery of what children understand at very young ages...a lesson to me in really making sure I watch what I teach and realize she is always listening

They take this HUGE acreage, build wooden huts, build real fires, all the actors from the beggers/theives to the other families, the soldiers and taxmen are all in authentic costume (they ahve been doing it 16 years now). Plus, the stars were all out in full force, the night was black, so the fires glowed....perfect evening for it!

We started by going into a tiny wooden hut, where we are told which family we are - and that we have to go to bethlehem to pay our taxes..we leave as a group, and as soon as we are out, we are accosted by soldiers who jab us with their swords and call us names...we walk a bit further, and are met by a blind prophet who tells us of the saviour being born upon that night...and on and on it goes, with beggars and soldiers and theives, until we get to the tax tent and are accused of trying to rip them off, and chased out - a little further, then see the angels who proclaim the wonderous birth, we are turned away at the inn, and then find the manger, where we all drop to our knees in prayer, as we leave, we see the marketplace, and tell of the birth of the saviour and are laughed at...that was my FAVORITE PART - my daughter who is five, got totally ticked off and started yelling at them that Jesus was real, and that it was wrong to laugh, and they needed Jesus in their hearts LOL..she was thnking it was all real, as it was so realistic....Racheal was completely freaked out - she was crying and mad at the soldiers too and told them not to poke people, and to ask God to forgive them and I had to sort of pull her along, good heavens, she would have converted the lot of them! The end of it was seeing the wise men and showing htem the way to the manger....

What an amazing night. Racheal talked for about an hour straight afterwards on the way back to to my aunt and uncles about the play, about Christ, God and holy smokes - that girl understands!!! I had no idea how much she understood and how much she has put together. Next year I can't wait to see what she gets out of it - I would highly recommend it to anyone living in the Alberta area LOL. What a terrific way to start the Christmas season.
 lisa0428
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/23/2006 5:33:56 PM
I have a couple of traditions that I do with my kids. On Christmas eve they get to open a gift of a new pair of pj's. A week or two before Christmas they get to pick out a new ornament or paint a ceramic one for themselves, I write their names and year on the back of the ornament and when they move out they will have enough ornaments for their own tree. Also on Christmas eve before bed we always read the night before christmas.
Hope you have found something useful here for yourself. Have a GREAT Christmas!!!
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/23/2006 5:59:46 PM
we make xmas cookies every year...plus the kids make an ornament that they add to the tree. Year after year we save them take them out and remember back.

Another thing we do is walk the festival of lights. Usually there is a huge neighborhood that puts on christmas light display and we try to go every year.
 nosoup4u
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/23/2006 6:22:23 PM
One tradition I have with my two girls is watching South Park's Mr. Hanky's Xmas. Always brings laughter to us all.
 thinknmansgirl
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2006 8:31:55 PM
for the past nine years my children each have stuffed a shoebox for operation Santa Clause. It helps them to realize that even though they may not get everything on their mile long wish list, that there are children across the world who get nothing more than what we can stuff into that little shoe box, and even then, there are restrictions. My kids get so tenderhearted during this time, and put so much thought into those tiny little gifts. My girls pack girl boxes, and my son packs a boy box. Watching him try to cram ONE more thing into that box, because "oh, he will like THIS!", just makes me almost cry. They love stuffing those shoe boxes, and even throughout the year when they get shoes, will mention how nice the box will be for stuffing.

This is a tradition that I know they will carry with them throughout their life.
 lollipop86
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2006 10:53:10 PM
I think its awesome that people love to be so giving around Christmas time.. What kind of gets me, though, is well, why are people not like this year round?... Why is it that "christmas" gets people in the "mood for giving"?... Why not try to help others out year round? I dont know, just a thought...
 thinknmansgirl
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2006 3:01:08 AM
well, I can only speak for me and mine, but we DO give year round. We cook food for the local shelter frequently, ( not a whole meal, but I take pies, cakes, casseroles pretty often actually). We also have worked weekends at the local Salvation Army helping to sort clothes that have been donated, my 10 year old son helps the elderly woman who lives beside us rake leaves, he takes two snacks a day to school,. one for him, and one for his friend who doesnt always have a snack....it is an ongoing thing to be giving and helpful, I am proud to say.

I think the reason Christmas brings out the best in so many people is that it is a time of year that we usually give gifts to those we love. It's hard to just forget, or ignore that there are those around us who are less fortunate and cannot share in the joy of giving, and receiving.
 Hondagirl450
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/24/2006 9:43:40 AM
me and my daughter love to make colored popcorn threads and putt them on the tree................... you can eat and decorate at the same time
 ~~Mystique~~
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/24/2006 11:14:30 AM
Doing gingerbread houses or men always goes over big with kids. Another thing I've done with them is dough ornaments. It's a great way to teach younger kids the gift of giving and it's inexpensive and fun. Every year we always have a night or two where we do popcorn strings and make snowflakes. Bringing out glue and sparkles to add to those seems to increase their pleasure and creativity.

Then there is the typical night of viewing Christmas lights. I like to pick a night where we just drive around and view all the houses and their decorations. One place in particular is a fave for them as the ppl allow you to wander into their yard and they sometimes even have little candy canes for them.

One of my faves is watching Christmas movies. Each yr I always watch the original "Grinch" with the kids. Gotta luv Dr. Suess :)

Christmas eve I always allow them to open one gift each, but I select which gift it will be. We play your usual festive music, have yummy snacks and get Santa and the reindeer there cookies, milk and carrots ready for their arrival. It seems to help them sleep better.

1 month exactly to Christmas eve....funny how that sneaks up quicker each year.
 missskinnypinny
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2006 1:35:02 PM
every year my daughter and i paint our names and the date on abauble and its added to the collection ... leading up to christmas my daughter as taken on the job of making personalised place mats which i laminate she list all the memories she as of that person in the last year ... which we save ... she designs and sets all the table herself for us to eat together .. after the meal is over we spend 30 mins chatting about what we hope the new year brings .. on chrsitmas eve ( my daughter is now 11 and this still makes her smile and squel in excitment ) after she goes to bed i dig out my hold wellies and shake flour or castor sugar over them to make foot prints on my stairs ( which she beleives is santa checking if she is alseep ) after we have eaten we clear the table and play board games together ... she as been offered many alternatives including trips abraod to disney etc instead but she chooses these ( our family tradtions every year ..... proof again to me she is not interested in how much i spent she just wants me to spend some time special time together .. good luck with ur christmas x
 -=Kalidor=-
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/24/2006 1:48:51 PM
Every year instead of presents under the tree when santa came, there would be an envelope in the tree.

In the envelope would be a clue. The clue would lead to a location around the house, outside, in the garage, in the shed.. could be anywhere. At the next clue would be a present and another clue to another location, until all the presents were found.

My dad did this for many years and it is probably one of the most special memories I will ever have.
 la_mom
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/24/2006 1:56:10 PM
LOVE the idea of the "scavenger hunt" Ikusa! That's such a cool thing. You guys are all giving great suggestions! Keep em comin!
 TopazGoddess
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2006 2:18:56 PM
My mother gave us an ornament on christmas eve...and when we moved out we took those ornaments to start our trees
The ornaments were an expression of the year past (eg: the year I took up flute I got a flute playing angel)

I now do this with my children

I also let the kids pick out what ever kind of cookie they wanna bake Santa and on christmas eve day we bake them so they're nice & fresh for me...erm...santa to eat
 macclennydude
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/24/2006 2:27:53 PM
One of the traditions that has been continued with my kids is this. we go out to our local Christmas tree farm and actually do the hayride, sing songs while out there, every one gets a chance to help cut down the tree we pick out. Then we load it up and head back to the house for S'mores in the fireplace and we watch the old traditional rudolphs and so forth while we are all gathered together. Its a fun time in which we all get a chance to have some downtime with each other. * if you dont have a fireplace a microwave works just as well for s'mores
 Nevaehs_mom
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/24/2006 4:14:03 PM
Well in our family our christmas tradition was always to get a new ordamint for the tree, last year my grandmother got one for both the great grand kids (a glass egg with santa on it and their name and birthday on the back along with the year she got it). My daughter was only 3 1/2 months last year for christmas but she had her pic taken with santa and then I got a picture frame that hun on the tree to put it in and her name and the year on the back. I plan to do this every year that way she can see what she and I looked like every year for christmas.

I am trying to find other things that I can do for me and her as tradition's for christmas but I dont really have many ideas other then the picture thing. We already got our christmas pictures done and I already have a frame for the tree.
 ctrydancer
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2006 3:17:13 PM
The end of Thanksgiving, I would take out construction paper and then make a chain link with the number of links of days left till christmas; and each night the children would remove one link until it was christmas. I had the link attached to a cardboard picture and hung it in a doorway. It was fun watching the chain shrink till Christmas.
 SqurlyBandit
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2006 8:31:27 PM
My son and I have a few traditions... we always make the gingerbread house... and we make a decoration for the tree together every year (well, we actually make several every year, because of course Dad needs one, and Aunty needs one, and Grammy needs one, and Baba needs one... and on and on it goes). But I really like watching the way the ornaments have developed over the years... the first one is a crumbled up ball that he painted all different colors... last year he made a star out of clay (it's a little bit lopsided, but I love it).
 Honney917
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/29/2006 7:14:24 AM
Well i have got to say that i had a tradition with my mom that we went shoping and got all the stuff we needed to back all kinds of cookies and cakes. Now i do this with my kids we bake from scrach and they get to help but i know that more than anything i enjoy to watch my daughter but on my aprin and she gets flour all over my kitchen. But know i am thinking about starting a new tradition with my kids cause they are only 1 and 2 so they get all the things they need and more so this year were digging throught the toy boxes and giving all the stuff that we dont play with and take them to the shelter for moms that dont have anywhere else to go, pluse all the toys are in good condition i want them to know that giving and receiving come hand and hand.
 ~Freckles~
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/29/2006 8:47:33 AM
Happy Holidays to you as well la mom

Ive made a few these past few years...

Other than the traditional cookies and milk by the fireplace and her helping me with putting up Christmas decor, we made our own tradition a few yrs. ago--we go to Disneyland each yr. during the Christmas season. It could be every weekend or every other weekend, but the decor they put up for the holidays is absolutely AMAZING! All the parades, the costumes, decked out decor on the rides, etc. We have annual passes, which is why we go so much (hence my handle name..lol)

Another we do is go to the big huge mall, walk around and look at all Christmas stuff, window shop, and take pictures with Santa. Ill get one with just her and then another with the both of us and send them out as Christmas cards.

Its just a fun thing for us to do to get us in the spirit, which isnt very hard, since this is my favorite time of the year.
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/29/2006 8:52:31 AM
my kids look forward to thier grandmas huge xmas party at her realty. Theres a magician...arts and crafts plus santa makes a visit. They have a huge blast going there and it kicks off the holiday season. Every ornament they make there I save it and it goes up on the tree. Its usually a pix with the santa and a frame ornament they paint.

We will put the tree up this weekend ( its my birthday yiippeee! ) thats tradition too always on my birthday.
 ctrydancer
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2006 8:15:44 PM
Have to have a pork pie (tortiere) why? I dunno...we always had one growing up. Going out at night looking for christmas lights was always fun.
 nunthewiser
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2006 8:34:06 PM
1st dec we put the tree up.. so we are doing that once my son has finished his icecream cone....

then during the week we will make 2 different types of christmas cakes....lol... one for grandad which has got the mixed fruit soaked in irish whiskey for 12months... and just a child safe one....lol...

after that we will go into town and see the myer centre windows and go see santa at the big tree.... after that we go over the river for a swim in at the beach and stay in there for the movies under the stars over the lagoon... overlooking the city lights...

christmas eve we go around to all the christmas light houses... they are so pretty where i am coz they are huge queenslanders....
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Christmas Traditions w/kids suggestions