Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women making the first move...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IWork4KyzrSoze
Msg: 1
Women making the first move...Page 1 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I've been thinking about this for some time.

Do guys like when women make the first move? (both men & women feel free to reply)

And if so, would a guy be off-put if a woman proposed marriage?

Personally, I think it's a turn off to the more traditional type of guy, and since I enjoy the "traditional types" I'm not one of those "pioneering women that makes the first move".

I just have a sneaking suspicion that it just SLAPS THE FACE of all that is right!
 sealacamp
Msg: 2
Women making the first move...
Posted: 3/29/2005 6:13:16 PM
For me it would depend on the situation and the relationship that I had with the other person. So, if the situation felt right, sure being asked out might not be to bad. I have had it both ways. I've asked and been asked. On either end sometimes it is yes and other times it is no.
 LlamaTamer
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/29/2005 6:24:13 PM
I don't think there is a thing wrong with women asking men out for a date. If they are so inclined then go for it...no pun intended.

About women asking men to get married...hmmm...I don't know.
Does she have the means to provide for him?
 showbags
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/29/2005 6:41:50 PM
bring it on girls......it's sexy. a girl with confidence is never a bad thing.
 usanzac
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/29/2005 7:02:02 PM
Clever girls with their feminine wiles often make the first move without even doing anything. Contriving a circumstance where the guy makes the first move is the best of both worlds. Guys, if you've ever been out somewhere and noticed some woman often being in the vicinity and perhaps open and available, you know what I mean.

I guess I'm traditional but being approached by a woman has never been a turn-off.
 stubobb
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/29/2005 7:37:32 PM
A woman making the first move is like a breath of fresh air. Feels great even if she's not my type.
 salamander000
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2005 7:42:35 PM
first move....smoothe, everytime
 showbags
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/29/2005 7:46:01 PM
^^^^^ ready when you are baby?!! lol

and the first move is supposed to be TOWARDS me
 Wicked
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/29/2005 8:02:14 PM
As always it comes down to individuality. There are some who actually enjoy "hard to get" women because when (and if) they succeed their sense of accomplishment is greater, building up their ego and self esteem.
Nevertheless, most guys would be grateful if a woman would take the first step. I don't think that such females should be labelled as "easy" either. Initiating a conversation is not equal to jumping into the bed with strangers.

As far as marriage is concerned I think that in most cases the element of surprise is not there anyway (in real life at least, not on TV) so it doesn't make much of a difference who asks first.
 crowmobe
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/29/2005 8:29:11 PM
hell ya if a women comes up and makes the first move! its f*cking hot
 bugsybears
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/29/2005 8:32:56 PM
i agree with you llamatamer. there is nothing wrong with a woman asking a guy out. not too sure about the marriage deal though. kinda old fashion when it comes to that.
 dodge-and-burn
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/30/2005 3:55:46 AM
I'm a modern guy, I believe that it should go both ways.
 ladydi8
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/30/2005 4:02:23 AM
whoohooo i am makin a list of names here...........

actually i would rather be the one making the first move.........i can get a little skittish around strange men...........doing this puts the contol back in my corner...........and the fellers dont seem to mind..............
 CaptainNapalm
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/30/2005 5:20:57 AM
I'm always thrilled when a woman makes the first move. If a woman has the courage to approach me, and be straight forward, it is worth big points in my book. Confidence can be a very attractive quality. Personally, I'm a bit shy, so it makes life a lot easier for me when someone else breaks the ice. Had I never been approached by women, I would have missed out on a lot of great friendships.

As far as marriage proposals go, I think women should be just as comfortable as men in bringing up the big question. Why shouldn't women be allowed to ask? If a relationship gets to the point at which marriage becomes a possiblilty, why should the woman have to sit around and wait for the man to pop the question while thinking to herself "will he ask? is he ever going to ask? am I wasting my time?" It's kind of unfair. I would hate to be in that position. Anyways, if you're conservative you can always make up a sappy story about how you proposed to your wife. Just as you can tell people you met in a grocery store rather than on pof lol.
 Sliv
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/30/2005 6:08:31 AM
Nothing wrong when it's dating. Marriage is a different story for a traditionalist like me, I just like the whole old fashioned idea of the man on bended knee thing *shrug* :P
 firestorm4u
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/30/2005 6:20:16 AM
There's a lot of value in what you say. For the sake of discussion however... imagine this scenario: after several years (or months) of a wonderful loving marriage, 'she' says to 'him' something romantic and sexually suggestive. In essence, she's made the first move.

I do understand your point about 'traditional' but eventually, you should feel comfortable enough with your partner to let him know your moods, feelings and desires... it can start with the non-verbal things like, a wink, or the touch of a hand...
 craww
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/30/2005 6:21:13 AM
i hope some girl makes the first move...
i suck at it.
 Elwood Blues
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/30/2005 7:52:43 AM
NOTHING is sexier than for a woman who's spontaeneous... who's not afraid to open a guys pants and do what she feels like
 smitten2meetu
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:04:35 AM
Women have the same opportunities in making a first move as a man. The confidence in making a first move can be flattering towards a man she's would like to know better. If you're going to attempt it, be prepared to be rejected, and if that happens, show grace & maturity if does occur.

As for a woman asking a man for marriage...i am old fashion in this one, and feel it should be the man ...how he does it, depends where the both of you are at the time.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/20/2017 9:38:37 AM
"Do guys like when women make the first move?"

Hell ya !

I love it when a woman asks me out on a date !

Why wouldn't I ?
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/20/2017 1:12:33 PM
this has been posted before, but upon reflection, my response remains the same:

it depends upon the woman, if she isn't desired, then she won't be. if she takes no for an answer, it could still be a compliment, otherwise, a fellow might feel bad shooting down a woman if he knows how he feels to be on the receiving end. Meanwhile, I've noticed plenty of situations where the woman "made the first move" by sending subtle signals. She always hangs out where he does (that's how I realized my 3rd gf was waiting for me to ask her out), always puts her best foot forward, et cetera, until the guy "Gets the idea" that he should try his luck since she seems like she might be interested....
 6jellybeans
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/20/2017 1:32:26 PM
I often make the first move so to speak. Its not that I am looking for sex or dates I just found something fun or attractive about them either in real life or on here.

Got to say that most of the time I am rejected. Most of the time I get ignored when I send messages on here. It doesn't actually bother me. Those guys don't know me and may have seen something that would make us incompatible anyway so I don't see it as a problem. I don't see it as anything much.

Sometimes I get a response but not often. Probably one in thirty I guess? Even then it rarely leads to a date. Contacting people on here, I have never actually met a man after contacting him first. In real life I have had a few dates with men I have taken the initiative with and its been alright but nothing to write home about. I have yet to get jiggy with anyone I have taken the initiative with for the simple reason that they haven't been all that interested in me. It has shown so I haven't bothered to waste my time, energy and emotion stressing about it or getting over the gills about it.

I think for some though they invest so much emotion. I saw her profile and she is perfect type thing and it just... Well its just not healthy to get like that about a stranger. Perhaps that is why some deal with rejection better than others? I don't know.

So its interesting to read that guys seem to think its hot for a woman to take the initiative. I certainly haven't experienced it and tend to have much better luck when guys contact me first and I choose from them who I want to date. Just my observations. Its also well documented that the vast majority of relationships start when the man asks the woman and not the other way round.
 gtomustang
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/20/2017 2:29:53 PM
I think I can agree with what was written above. I might meet a stranger here or in real life who just strikes such a chord with me, I can't help but release some of that energy inside me, in the form of a flirt or a come-on or some other way of giving them attention rather than ignoring them like I might anyone else who didn't strike any chord with me.

I've done that for 40+ years, and the results are about as jelly described. But hey, I did what I did b/c I was so energized, I didn't want to extinquish that little spark of feeling alive. My only relationships came about by women who made it clear they were interested, not from me expressing an interest to a woman who didn't notice me otherwise. which makes logical sense, of course.

after a while, however, I wish for more opportunity than to just express myself, I would like it if I could have a relationship with the person so that I could experience more of feeling alive. putting a plan into action to make that happen, only to get rejected, does feel like a total waste of time. especially after a few years when it just gets predictable. as jelly said, the more invested we are in the idea a person or an object will bring us happiness, the more defeated we get in defeat. like I guess, a child who wants a toy, so certain it will make them happy.

like I posted, men who think a woman hitting on them is hot, will not act that way when they are getting bugged by someone they aren't interested in :) they'll act uncomfortable with the attention, if its from someone they don't want to shoot down or just don't want. as far as a successful acceptance of a first move is concerned, I figure it relies on both parties being interested around the same time. even a hot guy can get rejected by a lady who's mind is busy on how she's going to make the rent check this afternoon.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/21/2017 5:50:22 AM
Some women refuse to come right out and say " hey, why don't we get together this weekend ? " because they're stuck in the belief that a woman should never take the initiative .

Sad
 gtomustang
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/21/2017 8:14:31 AM
at the risk of sounding contrarian...some women won't be "forward" thinking it will give them a reputation. Like everyone else knows what "get together this weekend" means just b/c they have an ulterior plan in mind. As they mature, however, they may focus less on "what other people think" in order to gain social acceptance, and decide, "hey, I want something, i'm going after it! If that makes me a b1tch in the workplace or a sexual being in the social atmosphere, well, so be it! I want to be satisfied with my life choices instead of waiting for others to decide for me, dammit!"

and that's a personality that's fun to date :)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women making the first move...