Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Boy, 10, mauled by two pit bulls      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eccentric
Msg: 2
Boy, 10, mauled by two pit bulls Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I think that the owners of the pit bulls should be investigated, even pit bulls don't just attack for no reason. My uncle raises and breeds pits, wrots, and german shepards and there has never been one time that they ever attacked a kid. In fact, I think that they were more leniant towards children.
Msg: 8
Boy, 10, mauled by two pit bulls
Posted: 3/30/2005 9:41:44 AM
I would have shot the dogs if I saw that. I agree the owners should be investigated, and I think the dogs should be put down. No one has the right to own a pet at the expense of innocent people's safety.
 darjeeling
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2005 12:25:30 PM

Pits have a gene that predisposes them to be violent

I had to do a construction job once where the owner had a Pit Bull. The owner was a decent sort
but that dog was insane and not from any abuse or encouragment, that I could see. He warned me to stay as far away as possible from the 7' high kennel he kept him in. I did.
The dog's name? .............Satan

It's good you have no illusions about your dogs Varus, and take responsible precautions.

Personally I don't trust the breed, or Rotweillers either.

I see that very few people acknowledge the propensity for aggression with dogs of this breed, therefore I don't trust their owners much either.

The punishment, in this case, for the reckless disregard of the owners, should be swift and very expensive. Perhaps act as a deterent for others wishing to own a dangerous breed, but not willing to implement the proper care to secure them.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2005 1:43:43 PM
My best hiking buddy is Duncan, a 98 pound pit that could be an add for Bowflex or something. Kids from all over come by to see our Eagles, Hawks, etc., but it is Duncan they gravitate too. On the other end a friend's Black Lab a few years ago looked like a ****cat but I saw him tear a leg off of a 120 pound wolf. Appearnaces can indeed be decieving, and that dog was awesome with all people becuase that is how he was trained to be. A half dozen girls here in town have borrowed Duncan for their birthday parties and playdates. I agree with you all that a dog, like us, is a product of it's environment more than anything else. As loving and trusting as Duncan is he still has 1000 lb/sq inch jaws and noone other than me and a few friends should horse around with him, until they're his friends that is, and that happens quickly for the unafraid. Don't know what happened in this instance, but everything is prone to aberration. The weight around the neck thing works great, Duncan pulls a nice size sled when I'm snowshoeing as a result. He of course hated it at the time, but I also hated having to run up hill with someone on my back for practice as a boy too. I'm a loving man but this "whispering" method of training dogs has never impressed me. Dogs are predators, horses are not. I never have to hit Dunky for just once as a pup was enough and a raised hand sends a clear message. I would love to never feel the need to swat a dog, just haven't seen any raised that way that can cover country with me without running after everything or causing other problems. Corporal Pet Punishment is not violence, it is not the same thing as some ***hole taking terciary stuff out on their dog, it is when done correctly a quick and relatively painless means to a satisfactory end. Kindness is awesome as long as discipline results. Since dogs here have to earn their keep discipline and bonafide results trump some sensibilities, so forgive me ladies for siding with what I know works. If someone can show me a GOOD working dog that hasn't had a swat on the haunch I will gladly eat a little crow.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2005 3:21:37 PM
Border Collies: Quite possibly the smartest breed there is, one did however attack a little girl in New York several years back. Anything can be conditioned to be mean. Friend in Oregon has B. Collie that is about the best horse Wrangler I've ever worked with. Some bad people chose Pits because they can be molded into a bad ass dog so easily. Duncan is with me becuase his owner is often ill and can't care for him. Like people, inbreeding is not too good with dogs. Anybody old enough to remember the problems with St. Bernards years ago? The other dogs in my life have always been rescues from the Reservation or pound puppies.
 darjeeling
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2005 4:35:58 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats rather a sad tale, for both you and Princess. Following that advice must have been very hard on you both, particularly so, the regrets at tragic end. The poor hound I am sure did not understand that your "coolness" from former affections was actually done out of love and concern for her. My condolences truly Floss.

Noodler,

Luck of the draw? Perhaps her particular temperment is due that. Still I am surprised you walk her without a lead. Your confidence in the harmlessness of your dog gives me pause, though.

Moonshadow is right about consideration for the breeders legitimacy and the temperment of the parents be wieghed for dominant traits.

Varus,

I didn't take what you said to mean that Pits are beyond redemption. I think your attitude about this is more responsible and with eyes wide open, than most. As you said, the concern for safety is not the dogs behavior when the owner is around but how the dog acts when the owner is not.

Stories like this, of Pits mauling kids, however does brings to mind, (how do I say this without causing undue controversy) a certain attitude of "ghetto chic" in the selection of a Pit.

They seem to be the breed of choice in the inner city, perhaps with due reason, as their tenacity would reccommend that households with them be avoided by any that would have nefarious intent.

I could be making a completely rank assumption in this case, to find the neglegent owners are, suburban, middle class, and white.

DoubleCabin

In resopnse to: Duncan Only Dines on Facists

Now I get it. .....LOL

darjeeling
 dodge-and-burn
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/31/2005 7:03:35 PM
In regards to pit bulls, there's been a lot of attacks by the dogs in the Sounthern Ontario area in the past few years. Sure, maybe the owners may treat them badly, but other dogs don't do that.

There's been a couple of cases when bitbulls whom were owned by a good family turned on their owners or baby of the family.

I've met pitbulls which are nice animals, but they still have a fuse that gets triggered easily.
 designingwoman
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2007 6:28:12 PM
Excuse me??? German shepherds???? You gotta be kidding me! Baning shepherds would break my heart. The gentlest, most loving dogs I have ever known happened to be German shepherds. My grandmother, uncle and cousins all have owned them, and they all have been beautiful, gentle dogs.

When I was in high school I was bitten by an English setter. Why no hoopla about those? For a couple of years after that incident I was afraid of larger dogs--until my uncle's sweet German shepherd, Joanna, loved me right out of my fear!! Thanks to a loving German shepherd, I am now the biggest doggie lover in the family!!

I plan on getting a German shepherd when I get a dog, and will make sure that she gets trained really well so that she is a good dog that brings joy and happiness to those around her. Other dogs I like include bulldogs, bichon/poodle mixes, and boxers. WOOF!!

Not all German shepherds are bred for aggression--they are often used as guide dogs for the blind because they are so smart and can be trained to be very gentle.

RIP Bunkie and Joanna good doggies!!
 IslandDreams56
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2007 3:07:48 AM
I was attacked by a pit bull just a little while ago. No huge injuries, just glad I
didn't crap my pants when she went for my jewels. Torn jeans and a couple
of toothmarks later I froze and someone dragged her off.

I was helping a friends son move, he forgot to tell me about the dog..and
forgot to tell the dog about me. She was defending her turf, her master was
not there. Whatever....she launched at my gear. That's some scary animal.
That is one aggressive breed of dog. If that's what a good one
does, look out for the bad ones.
 mizbex
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/30/2007 12:46:25 PM
Last week I was at the Human Society, looking for a second dog and more than half of the dogs there were Pit Bulls. Like any other breed, certain dogs require certain owners. Pit Bulls in particular get a bad rap, because people teach them to be fighting dogs (don't get me started on Michael Vick.) The problem with dogs that become vicious are either bad breeders or bad owners.

As far as banning dogs like German Shepards, Rottweilers and Dobermans that is simply nonsense. So many of the large breeds of dogs are used as service dogs. In field search and rescue one dog takes the place of 50 officers, many German Shepards are therapy animals, as are many Rottweillers. These beautiful animals should not be banned, however, the laws that make it legal for an individual to own one in a domestic setting should be. What people tend to forget is this, even though they are dogs, they are still animals and as much as we love them, we will never truly understand them and therefore humans need to take the best precautions to protect the dogs and people from incidents like this.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Boy, 10, mauled by two pit bulls