Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oneafternoon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girlPage 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I would love to date a deaf girl ... it would be kewl , be like dating a chick who speaks a foreign language. I think for me i like challenges so it would make it more interesting. I would love to learn sign language.

And on another note you can't really say anything wrong.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 6
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:38:20 PM
hmmm... girlfriend includes homework. It does cut out the lazy guys. That or really cut into your phone messaging budget. It probably evens out in concert ticket savings. And the movies are all dvds so thats cheaper too.... Nope. Not seeing it. Might be heavy on the foreign films though.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/30/2005 8:40:50 PM
Wow. Blew a date with a nice blind girl because he took her to a silent movie. Thats..... Darwinian. Literally.

stormycs
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2005 8:05:56 AM
jpl - if you are both deaf, then you boht have alternative means of communication. THe probelm is that when a hearing guy starts dating (or wants to start dating) a deaf girl, how does he get her attention without the childish passing of notes? And passing notes back and forth on a date somehow spoils it
 Frrosty
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/31/2005 1:35:09 PM
I would date a deaf girl.

I was once turned DOWN by a very pretty deaf swim champion from Laurier..

hhmm

NOw you've gone and brought up bad memories. ARGH!
 Ultrapig
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:05:44 PM
So I gotta take you to concerts AND learn sign language? awwwww.... ok.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:20:58 PM
Well you know me, anything that includes reprocessed chicken feather protein meal is good. Of course theres also silage... And don't forget condemned donuts, and old apple cores... and....... [loud snuffling and drooling sounds]
 startmiup
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:24:29 PM
they're all "deaf" so what's the difference?
 startmiup
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:26:53 PM
Ultrapig, now that I've seen you, I just can't stop thinking about you. I compare all women to you and they just don't make me feel like you do. I think of you before I go to sleep at night. I don't know what to do.
 Kiefer
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:27:30 PM
I've got a cochlear implant too..... just wanted to tell everyone that in all my years I've actually never gone on a date with a deaf girl myself.. everyone I've gone out with has been hearing. But then again I've always been able to communicate with hearing people, even use the phone sometimes (where I couldn't before with just a hearing aid)...

As for sign language and passing notes - well, remember, not all deaf people are signers or "noters" - a lot of us are indistinguishable from the next person, save for a pretty jazzy accent which is a great icebreaker as I said in JPL's thread about dating deaf guys..

But then again - I've managed to pick up a couple of nice ladies using the old "notebook" trick, passing a note across a crowd of drunken banshees to the nice-looking woman at the end of the table - it's less threatening too. After all, it's a little different from "Hey baby, how YOU doin'?!"

My point? The differences are just about all positive. Pity about the bloke who took the blind girl to a movie... now that's just downright sad.

K
 Ultrapig
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:33:01 PM
I can see your hand edging towards that cleaver pal.. It's always the same

them: "Come out with me tonight"

me: "where are we going?"

them: "Oh, it'll be great! It's a barbacue"

Sigh... they all just want me for my body.
 startmiup
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/31/2005 6:33:40 PM
duh qweston es, wood dey be wuling to dwate somwon wike me? Most women make fwun ob me for my spweech defwect. Dey say I am wike Elmer Fwud. It es weely not bery nice. It is not only my spweech defwect ether. Den dey tell me dere is also something warrg wif me upstairs too. Wat does dat mween?
 Frrosty
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/31/2005 9:59:16 PM
WAIT!!

I just remembered that the girl who turned me down was not deaf..she was blind.

*shrugs*

If I remain single, I will probably be turned down by a deaf girl too though. In time my friends....in time.

*Sigh*
 Ultrapig
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/31/2005 10:16:56 PM
rofl! we may have the beginnings of why she turned you down frosty!

[frosty passes blind girl note]

[blind girl drops note and walks off]
 Ezzee
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/31/2005 10:42:31 PM
OK, so I have dated a deaf girl. I know sign language and it was totally great. I have to be honest on this one. I told her I envied her sometimes because she didn't have to listen to everything in the background.

For the record, I've also dated a blind girl. That was awesome too. I do know braille, and braille is easy to learn if you take the time to learn it.

I'm not sure which I prefer better, but I would be with either or again.
 Ultrapig
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/1/2005 2:19:28 PM
she did once. I think she was done a while ago. The answer her origional question has all been various forms No.
 mdew22
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/2/2005 1:16:04 PM
i have aids too. i cant hardley hear any thing with out them. so i dont see any thing wrong with dateing a deaf girl. we have a lot of small rocks here that i could throw at her to get her atention.
just kidding.
lol

mdew22
 Kiefer
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/2/2005 11:10:45 PM
Ahh...I like to call it a bionic ear. Which is pretty close to the truth..
 angelhmm
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/3/2005 1:23:24 AM
Well, there isn't much difference and I should know. I'm deaf in one ear. It doesn't make me incapacitated. In fact, most of my senses are even more heightened. You learn to adapt to it, slowly, but you do adapt. Besides, with the problems 'most' men and women have during normal communications, there isn't much difference. You just end up learning a new way of doing things. It's simple! ;)

angel
 angelhmm
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/3/2005 5:25:08 PM
Well, I guess that depends on who you are and what you want in a relationship, right? I should probably say, for me, it's simple! Personally, I wouldn't want to be with someone who had any questions about whether they would date me or not, just because I wasn't 100% perfect. Last I checked, no one is perfect!

angel
 Kiefer
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/7/2005 5:06:13 PM
Keep the faith, goofycutie - there are definitely lots of decent guys out there. I like to think I'm one!
 Ultrapig
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/13/2005 7:14:12 PM
meeting A$$holes from what I see in these forums is more of a female thing than a deaf thing I think.
 StrwberryLips
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/14/2005 8:40:18 AM
I can help witht his post... I can answer a few of your questions if you'd like to email me you can too. I used to be deaf on my left ear kids were mean to me all through school even when I had this operation on my ears to get them fixed so, I could be normal and not wear hearing aids I still got made fun of it wasn't easy for me to bring this up but hey I will help. I was only deaf on my left ear but we found a doctor for me to fix my left ear. I am pretty much normal but I am slow at learning a few things but fast on learning new technology. I do still lip read but I hide the fact to some people that I was deaf fearing of what they might think. But I do tell the person if I am dating them I just don't tell them until some point later on because, like I said fearing of what they might think. They already freak because I had open heart surgery and I have scars on my right arm also on my chest. Kids made fun of me on my scars on my arm they kept saying I was doing drugs and I am not that type of girl to do drugs! But other then that describe this girl who you are talking about because, I communicate pretty well and I don't know what is so difficult about dating a deaf girl we are all normal I didn't read all of the replies so...
 StrwberryLips
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/14/2005 8:42:41 AM
Ok I thought that you were a guy duh! LMAO anyways I was deaf too
 Kiefer
Msg: 77
Posted: 4/14/2005 9:12:49 AM
Hey Strawberry lips:

Don't sweat it, eh - I've got the cochlear implant which on its own is very strange to look at.. I get odd looks from people because most people have never seen a guy walking around with a cord coming out from behind his ear.. my accent turns heads as well, because it's got a bit of a thick German swagger mixed with some guttural Scottish consonants.. I often can feel people looking at me when they hear me speaking, and while I do find it unsettling, I try to get used to it.

As for scars - guess what hon, I've got operation scars all over my stomach.. a doctor once joked that my stomach looked like a battlefield. It comes from some major life-threatening and life-saving surgery that I had as a baby, and it was the antibiotics from that that killed my hearing. So I have one long one going from my sternum all the way down to just above my ----, and another cutting right across my lower stomach, about 6 inches below my bellybutton and cutting across from one side all the way to the other. I've got a big one on my knee from when I wiped out on a scooter on a gravel road, one pulpy red-looking thing on my shoulder from another operation, a deep gash on my left shin from when I nearly fell down a manhole in eastern Ukraine (and yes, lived), one on the inside of my left arm from the IV that I had when I was a baby, and two or three other minor scars. And yes I used to feel very insecure about all of that, and my accent too.

But now that I'm older it's really about having the right attitude... most people out there are good, understanding folk, and they'll understand if you give them a short explanation... they respond even better if you have a sense of humour about it. When I'm in bed with a woman and she asks me about the scars on my stomach, I sometimes roll my eyes and say: "Oh no, do I have to tell that story again?" and go into some ridiculous story about I got attacked in an alleyway in Detroit or got caught by a bomb in Fallujah...

Anyway my point: don't fret about the yahoos out there who like to make fun of you. They're everywhere and they are just jacka$$es. Don't let it bug you. You've got something that sets you apart from the rest of them... so use it to your advantage!!

Cheers
K
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl