Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 3
ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?Page 1 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
It makes me feel very depressed that I am alone for the holidays. I will deal with it, by working a lot of hours, and being too tired to think about it.
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 7
ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?
Posted: 12/7/2006 10:22:18 AM

because... as they, "say you come into this world alone and you go out alone"

That's the saying but it simply isn't true. You spend the first 9 months of your life hearing the sound of your mother's heart beat. Then when you are born your mom(sometimes dad) and whoever delivered you is there. So from conception to birth you are never alone.

Sadly some do die alone, but most don't.
 Kymi1968
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/7/2006 10:25:47 AM
I have never been the type to care. I have friends and family that I can share it with.

867love
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/7/2006 10:31:45 AM
still a bit numb about the holidays, at least i dont have to put up a tree, -maybe some lights outside -just so i dont look like a grinch to the neighbors, christmas shopping will be easy -just send a check to the ex for presents and hope she spends most of it on our kids. it really never looks like christmas here in PHOENIX anyway, since the desert dosent have that snowy christmas green look anyway, -i would rather it be sunny and 70 then freezing my ass of somewhere else. as for me, a lot of beer, popcorn and action movies... :)
 *Rain*
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/7/2006 12:37:21 PM
I've been 13 years without a S.O. in my life, so holidays are not a problem. I either spend it with friends and family or just go out and do something for someone less fortunate than myself. There are wose things than being alone for the holidays. You could be homeless and alone for the holidays. I say count your blessings.
 gildersleeve
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/7/2006 12:44:16 PM
Every year my kids go with their mom to her sister's place, not only at Christmas, but also Thanksgiving and Easter. They are all grown now, but this will be my third Christmas alone (and I'll probably spend New Year's Eve with****again!). However, I'm not going to try and "pound out" a relationship, just to have one, as no relationship at all is better than a bad one and there are much worse things than being alone at Christmas. Yes, it would be nice to be with family and someone special, but you get used to it...and remember the reason for the season!
I know it's not politically correct, but Merry Christmas to one and all!
 who_the_fox
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/7/2006 12:47:24 PM
This makes #5 on my own

It is still hard, but I have learned to AVOID all "holiday" programming to reduce the huge media message of

"YOU ARE A COMPLETE LOSER IF YOU ARE SINGLE AT XMAS"

and that makes things much easier to bear.
 Pinkdeville
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2006 12:58:03 PM
I find nothing wrong with being alone for the holidays. I`ve learned to love myself despite all my faults. I love this time of year because a lot of people open their hearts to others and wouldn`t it be a nice world if everyday were Christmas day!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/7/2006 1:04:06 PM
Awwwwww OP ~ I logged in and thought I smelled you. Still as fragrant as you were ~ it's a stench we know and love and even miss when you are out to sea.

~OT~ I've spent so many alone that it's just my norm. The last time I had a SO for Christmas was 1999. This year, I do feel the aloneness a little more than in the past. I'm turning into an old softie, I guess.
 Leecied
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/7/2006 1:11:18 PM
I have an extremly large family thankfully, and friends of many, so truely I am never alone.. I'm perfectly happy being single and living my life, or being with some special somebody and starting a life together.. Holidays are simply like any other day, I just tend to eat far to much.. In my opinion, people should worry more about the people around them, and their happiness, rather then who is with you (relationship) and your own happiness.. I tend to be more happy knowing that my friends and family are happy and that I've helped create it.
Im well aware that there are alot of people that tend to disagree and think their own happiness is more important then others, I fault nobody for what they think, as long as you are happy Im happy for everybody :)
 Bernadette18
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/7/2006 1:22:36 PM
Being alone for the holidays is sad for me. I lost my mom,dad,nephew and brother. I was married for 18 years. Got divorced. Whenever the holidays come around all I can think of the wonderful christmas's I had with my immediate family. I am very grateful for that. Now since the divorce I have been without my younger children most of the holidays. I have had to adapt to this new situation. As far as being with a man for the holidays,I would never just find someone to be with,I would rather be alone. I want to be with the man I deeply care for. I do miss having my significant other with me during the holidays,but I will do just fine. I keep looking forward and never look back.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/7/2006 1:36:01 PM

Sounds like a good reason to turn of the TV to me, or in my case, leave it off.

Since my daughter moved out Oct 31 2005, I have not even plugged the tv in.
 ladyaries *
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/7/2006 1:49:52 PM
This will be my 1st year really by myself for the holidays. Last year I was able to work on Christmas eve and day, so I had my crew with me those days. I am not working this year on those days and my kids are all grown and on their own, 2 live out of state so can't come in and the youngest had already promised her dad she would spend it with him. The rest of my family live else where. My friends have their own families to be concerned with. I am not rushing out to make sure I have a date or anything, if it happens it happen...don't think it will though, it might be good for me to have the time to myself. I have no problem being by myself. Curl up with a good book or watch some good shows with logs burning in the fireplace. Heck I am even enjoying the fact that I don't have to decorate this year...lol. The decorating is not the problem it is the removal process...lol. I set out my stuffed Christmas moose and am calling it decorations... I think people need to learn how to be with just themselves sometimes. If you noticed I never used the word alone, alone is associated with lonely, lonely is associated with depression, I refuse to be depressed, it gets me no where and does nothing for me. The holidays are not meant to be about us as individuals, they are about religion, families ect. If my family is happy doing what they are doing who am I to make them feel sorry for me? I tell them this and they know that I mean it. I know I will get phone calls and spend most of my day on the phone anyway with family...lol.

Hey all
 Thudpucker
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/7/2006 4:40:29 PM
I make up a "Wish List" and fill it!
 Serendipityone
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/7/2006 5:31:46 PM

How am I dealing with it? I am trying to find a date for New Years Eve! :)

I'm not sure why, but it bothers me a lot more being alone on New Years Eve.
 Lookin_4_OZ
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/7/2006 5:35:42 PM
this is my third christmas alone........ well without a man in my life. It is just my son and I. I am so glad I have my son......... I get total down in the dumps but put on a good act for my son........ then when I see his eyes light up Christmas morning I feel happy.... cause I made his holiday great and then I feel relieved that the holidasy are behind me...........
I'm not sure if I will ever find a man but I haven't given up yet.
 ponygrl™
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/7/2006 6:13:36 PM
well, this is my 2nd year alone for christmas....atleast until i go to my parent's house for a few hours, then i come back home to an empty trailer again. i don't like staying there with my family since they all tend to talk down to and about me...pop told me yesterday that i'm a disgrace to the family and he's ashamed to call me his daughter. believe it or not, i was so depressed when he said that to me, last year i was depressed having my 1st christmas alone but what he said to me was even worse than how i felt last year.

kappy , do you think santa would send me a 1 way ticket to alabama?
 bluelight139
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/7/2006 6:25:28 PM
Always get invited out by friends which is good but starting to feel like the odd man out. still it leaves you with funny feeling that isn't too merry.
 bluelight139
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/7/2006 6:31:49 PM
That Sucks. You would think your own relatives would at least have some compassion for you. Why do people have to be so mean. I will wish you a Merry Christmas even if he won't.
 hapeenurse
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/7/2006 7:57:06 PM
okay I'll admit it , for all to see and call me a big wimp, I had a little cry yesterday , a moment if you will of feeling sorry for myself that this will be my first xmas without a significant other to share it with - I'm blaming it on the fact I found a lot of old xmas/holiday cards in a box with my ornaments and nothing else okay? then I went to the store to pick up some groceries and saw a couple having a stupid arguement and felt much better about the whole thing! (thank you crazy grocery couple!)

I am working on xmas as I've done for the last 5 years - I always choose to work xmas so the nurses with kids can have that day off with no hassles or problems. This year will be interesting because I also worked xmas so that I could be with my boyfriend/friends for new years eve - this year I have no boyfriend and 2 of my good friends have to work while the other one good friend is out of town.

I get a twinge of a lonely feeling now and then , seems to be amplified a bit the closer it gets to xmas but all in all I'm okay with being single right now and I do have amazing people to share xmas with after I finish work.

I tend to keep busy , I've picked up a couple shifts at work , I've made plans with friends for the week leading up to xmas and of course retail therapy always helps!

oh yes, the hope that 2007 will be better than 2006 keeps me abnormally optimistic (I figure this should run out by my 30th birthday in january hah)
 Serendipityone
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/8/2006 8:02:20 AM
I have invited Ex number one for Christmas holiday. He sleeps in one of the guest’s bedrooms! He is great to take on shopping trips. Never complains and I never have to ask him to carry the bags. We will probably go downtown and enjoy the Christmas decorations. On Christmas we will have a nice dinner at home and then end the evening playing poker.

Well, there is always hope for next year! LOL

I’m praying for a miracle to occur for New Years *sigh*

I think my New Year’s resolution will be to start that traveling I’ve been wanting to do, and do it during the holidays. Paris in winter? Who cares if it’s cold?! :)
 Samuzz
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/8/2006 8:06:17 AM
I'm not taking it so well.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/8/2006 8:16:43 AM

I think my New Year’s resolution will be to start that traveling I’ve been wanting to do, and do it during the holidays. Paris in winter? Who cares if it’s cold?! :)

That was my plan...and this year I will be in Mexico the week before Xmas....will miss most of the hype and frenzy. New Years Eve I am going to an excellent dance/dinner etc with the girls.

If you can remove yourself from the insanity, it makes coping a lot easier.
 Serendipityone
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/8/2006 9:29:06 AM
^^ Agreed. Have fun in Mexico!!
 SILLYISME
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/8/2006 1:57:29 PM
I was single for last years holidays... and I think I'm doing pretty fine this year.

Completely into the Holiday Spirit and am trying to get everyone else into it too.

I will be spending NYE/Xmas with Family and friends, and that will be fine.

Of course I wish I had someone to spend NYE with, but I don't and I refuse to wallow in my own misery.

That day will come, until then I can enjoy my singledom
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?