Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Linux Ubuntu/Edubuntu/Kubuntu, users thoughts on the Penguins progres      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Linux Ubuntu/Edubuntu/Kubuntu, users thoughts on the Penguins progress :>)Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
As a computer novice and one who runs and really enjoys the new distro for the "non geeky" crowd, I'd like to get some other users perspectives.

Having started with a WebTv settop box and used it for 5 yrs before getting my 1st PC which used Windows 2000, then quickly steppin up to XP, I ran it for about a year before opting to Linspire & now onto running Ubuntu/Edubuntu 6.06.

For the $$ it's a steal, except it's really hard to steal anything that's free :>) I like the simple functionality, versatilty, security and speed of this OS and find it very easy to get around in and play with.

What I'd like to know is who else out there is runnin it and hear about others experiences with it too.

So ......... is anybody out there ??

Kim
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Linux Ubuntu/Edubuntu/Kubuntu, users thoughts on the Penguins progress :>)
Posted: 12/8/2006 7:55:53 PM
I haven't tried Mandrake, but I've heard a lot about it.

My earlier Linspire OS was pretty much like a bad joke! Without the help of a good friend I've have canned it and reloaded my old XP, but he sorted out the bugs and fixed all the broke $hit till it worked pretty well. I still never was able to get it to run XMMS and play videos at the same time without lockin up which sucked HARD !

After installin Ubuntu (a simple 30-40 minute install BTW) it took about 30 minutes worth of finding/fixin a few bugs here and there and it was off to the races baby ! It took about a weeks worth of tweakin it here and there to get everything set to my own preferences, which was pretty easy all in all and ever since all I do is enjoy it :>)

Kim
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2006 10:34:26 PM
Ah hell, livin in a flame suit ain't no biggee .... once you get used to it

I was really fortunate in havin a software engineer buddy of mine to get me started in Linux with Linspire & it was a steep learnin curve but, I think anyone startin out in Linux as opposed to Windows will of necessity learn more :>)

This same friend brought me a shiny new copy of Ubuntu Dapper Drake for my 50th birthday last summer. After we had it loaded and I started exploring in it I told him it was a far better OS than I (a major non-geek) had any right to be runnin !

I've been playin back and forth with some of the different desktop environments available in Ubuntu this weekend and have found all kindsa variances between Gnome, Fluxbox, Enlightenment and Kde in what can be done, how to get it done, etc. Interesting fun, though for me, Gnome suits me best I think

Linux isn't posed to topple Microslush, not even close, but with more (worldwide) govt. agencies demanding open source programming, the worm is at least "kinda" turning.
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2006 7:26:22 AM
I hear ya. When ever the lack of virii in Linux is mentioned it REALLY gets the blood rushin in Windows users. The difference in system speeds between Linux and Windows OSes is certainly effected by the amount of "safety software" Windows users are required to run when comparing equally matched systems.

One thing I've always challenged my staunch Windows supporter friends to do is : Open their 'puter, turn OFF all the anti-virus, anti-spyware, adware and spamware software and then take a simple 30 minute trip around the net. Then restart, turn all the "safety software" back on and start scans with each of 'em to see what they've picked up in that short trip around the web. Never had one of 'em take me up on it yet

Kim
 steeledrummer
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/11/2006 7:51:06 PM
I'm not against Linux in the mainstream, I just think there are some major hurdles to jump (hardware support, drivers, and marketing) before mom and dad are running any flavor of Linux without "safety software".

Just for a minute, let us pretend that MS goes tit$ up....ahhhhhhh...anyway, and UburSlackenHat Linux is born, explodes on to the market, and is so easy that mom and dad are using it. Now, how long will it take before the number of viruses reach 60K? How about 30K? Or 10K?

Everyone has a price and programmers are no exception.
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 7:31:07 AM
While I agree with a cuppla the earlier comments about Linux not being the best choice for every user or their individual needs, I think for a great many folks out there, it's problee ALL they need.

The Microsoft death grip on the software world will eventually pass just like eventually Wal Marts will be something we remember as a chain of stores we USED to shop at. It's the way of the world and things in general :>)

At the moment, I'm workin in a 2 person company where we refurbish, repair, sell and broker equipment for the Graphic Arts trades with my Mom and myself as all there is to our little enterprise. Within the next year or so, she plans to retire and I'll be taking it over alone.

The point in the above paragraph is that much of our business and contacts are net based and email, sending out machinery videos and info are a constant part of it all and ..... my Moms choice in OSes and software are now as they've always been ..... Microsoft, much to my personal chagrine I must say !

I despise the waiting every damned day for the system to fire up while Norton does its updates, with the system in cyberlimbo for between 2-10 minutes as it does so (our office is out in an area still limited to dial-up) ! This really is just unacceptable in my mind ! While this update procedure is running NOTHING else on her machine will run at all!!!

When I take this over, I'll be trying Linux as a positive change for initially several areas of our online presence, but will likely still have to use a few Windows applications like Quickbooks.

The migration process and integration out to be fun .... wish me luck

Wrenchspinner
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2006 6:25:22 PM
Yeah my main geek buddy is a software engineer and is runnin a dual core AMD 64 set up with Gentoo on his machine too. I'm soooo jealous, he's got 4gigs of RAM and just set up a terrabite raid array system.

This is waaay more than I have on my machine but I want to build a new system in the coming year and will do so with a core duo system when I do. I dunno if I'll switch OSes when I do, Ubuntu is likely about my limit within the Linux realm in my own abilities at this point, or is Gentoo something to consider for a novice user like myself? Though I can play in the GUI commands like I know what I'm doin (yeah right:>), I'm absolutely lost when it comes to the command line functions & have to enlist my buddys help any time I have to do something in the terminal window.

Here's a little anecdote that really made my day a while back :

I was settin up a machine for my 17yo daughter and since she'd been usin XP on her Moms computer before she moved in with me, though runnin as a user on my Ubuntu system on her weekends here I asked whether she wanted to have me set it up with XP or Ubuntu. Her response was heartwarming : "I want Ubuntu on my computer Daddy. I don't want any of that Microsoft crap on MY computer!"

Outta the mouths of babes :>)

Kim
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2006 9:33:07 AM
Yeah, from what I've read about Vista I think Microslush is being very ambitious in expecting folks to not only invest in a new OS, but also put forward a healthy investment in hardware at the same time just to even allow them to run it. That seems very foolhearty to me but does make me wonder how much Microsoft has invested in various hardware manufacturers :>)

I'm sure there will be plenty enough fans of Windows just chompin at the bit to run out and buy Bills latest offering, even at the cost of a new computer, but I think you're right on there SeriousSam in sayin this move will also fascilitate people explorin other options just as well.

Even as one definitely NOT a member of the full on geek crew, I can appreciate a lot of things about Ubuntu. Things like NOT lockin up every time I try runnin a handful of applications at the same time, having to run all that system speed killin software required to keep the hackers at bay, the wide availability of FREE software just there for the taking WITHOUT havin to steal or crack anything, along with the total tuneability of the set up I choose to run.

The worm is turnin slowly, but definitely turnin, and I think this time Microsoft will even be helpin it do so with Vista :>)

Kim
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Linux Ubuntu/Edubuntu/Kubuntu, users thoughts on the Penguins progress :>)