Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Male logic versus Female emotions..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bucsgirl
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Male logic versus Female emotions.. Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I don't see logic and emotion as being specific to a gender. There's things that are reacted to emotionally and things reacted to rationally. If a pet dies, that's an emotional thing, for either a male or female, not really much logical thought necessary. If your sink is stopped up, that's a logical problem, how to fix it. There are women that are more logical and men that are more emotional.
Generalizations about men and women tend to more polarize the sexes than to promote acceptance and understanding.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Male logic versus Female emotions..
Posted: 12/18/2006 5:02:27 PM
sorry....technical difficulties!
 junipermoon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2006 6:55:41 PM
wow....if my own experience with men indicates anything at all....i'd never use the words 'men' and 'logic' in the same sentence.
 867love
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/18/2006 7:17:59 PM
the biggest misconception of a female telling a male her problems: she wants someone to merely listen to her (a shoulder to cry on) -while the male thinks she wants his advice (damn us men for being logical), -just bite your lip and console her... dont say a word of advice or you will only end up pissing her off even more.
 HIDEnSEEK
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/18/2006 8:10:35 PM
Best that I can tell you is that emotinos are usless, but on the other have there have been many logical talks to solving emotionals issues. That has never worked for me, thank my parents for that, I've always been told that there is a right and a worng way to fix a prolbem. As I've grown up and meet other people I now understand that the world is a very messed up place and no one can only use logic, not even myself, in every part of there life. The only way I see that happening is if you move off to the middle of noware, live in a bio dome, and count corn all day long. (Thats my dream life right there!! Ya.)
 scruldbrug
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/18/2006 9:30:50 PM

If for example they have to make a big purchase, i.e. a house, they want to make sure it is the right decision, but they also want to be accustomed to the idea.

no, no.... women just want to look at the bathroom and the kitchen. if those are ok, the house gets bought.
 scruldbrug
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/18/2006 9:37:15 PM

Suffice it to say, that Bucsgirl's point is valid, and you now have feedback from at least 4 of us here that states its not a generic gender trait - its a trait associated with several personality subtypes

this is hardly a valid sample, though. i suspect that only the logical types were able to clck the correct buttons to find the forums.... oopss... i think i said that out loud.
 scruldbrug
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/19/2006 7:00:08 AM

PS: To smiles644. My new car with GPS means never having to listen to my boyfriend's directions again. Last year it took me 3 hours to get to his mother's house for Christmas. You'd think he'd know the way. His mom felt so sorry for me.

ah, yes... all the little ladies get their hackles up about stereotypes about the female sex, but have no problems throwing around ones which pertain to men. nice... and typical.
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/19/2006 7:04:44 AM
I wasn't aware that men used logic in anything. At least with the men I have known everything seems to be born of pure knee jerk confusing emotion without one speck of logic to it.
 subtle_savage
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2006 8:23:03 AM

Women have never had nuclear launch codes because one has never been President.

I can assure you from personal experience women have such 'codes'. I can also assure you the one female I know personally who has such access is one of the most coldly logical people I've ever had the misfortune of trying to deal with on a human spiritual/emotional level.

Though perhaps her answer to my question of how she personally feels about the potential several hundred thousand deaths she may one day cause of 'If God wants it to happen, then He has chosen me to do His bidding and I will carry out His needs' is likely one of the most terrifyingly illogical things I've ever heard.
 scruldbrug
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/19/2006 9:01:38 AM

Though funny how you didn't like being stereotyped, yet responded with a stereotypical comment.

i don't care about whether i'm sterotyped or whether men are stereotyped . we get used to it. i ws just pointing out a double standard which seems to occur regularly in these forums.
 himmicane┬ž
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2006 9:07:50 AM
Alexandria and Sombient, you represent about 30% of North American women. Myers-Briggs testing shows that 70% of North American females are feelers as opposed to thinkers. It's the only one of the 4 dimensions that shows a gender bias.

-Jim
 scruldbrug
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/19/2006 10:38:28 AM

Maybe more women would be more willing to have casual sex with men if men had not come up with names like WHORE, SLUT, VIXEN, B*TCH, ETC ETC.

don't want to sidetrack things, but all the times ive heard those terms used to describe a woman it's some other woman who's used the term in a very derogatory and hurtful manner.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/19/2006 1:25:45 PM

Just ignore her and watch out for the "oh yeah...well I supported my dying husband" sympathy argument. I always thought you did that for someone because you know they'd do it for you...not for applause.

This has got to be an either/or. It can't be a both/and. While both in a pair can "believe" the other would, only one can prove they would. By doing it. And it can't be returned. Don't think applause, or hope of applause, has anything to do with it.

BTW, the above quote is totally illogical, and very emotional. So much for the stereotype on which this thread is based.
 grizzelda
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2006 1:26:24 PM
AHHH Jordannne I think you will find that this type of a MAN will logically think through such a scenario and come to the conclusion that if they are truthful from the beginning they will not get what they want. So I think that there is a certain "logic" there but not a very admirable one.

When I hear that women are emotional not logical I start to get all emotional and then start to think logically that whoever makes these statements are morons

Many women are logical thinkers, they also have the ability to place emotions in the equations. The most amusing thing about the so called weakness of this is that it is only logical to accept that emotions are generally part of any "problem" and will play a part in the solution, unless we are dealing with purely mechanical issues ie; my car isnt starting... Then I most certainly wont stand in the parking lot and cry like a baby because it isnt starting and I dont recall seeing too many grown women reeling around clutching their smelling salts either who are in the same predicament.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2006 2:57:40 PM
Here again we have another gender stereotypical generalization topic that has shown the tendency to divide the sexes more than promote understanding. Women are this, men are that...pfft. Everyone's emotional, if you've hit your finger with a hammer, seen your football team lose in overtime after overcoming a 21-point deficit, or run over a nail and gotten a flat tire in the middle of rush hour, you've experienced an emotional reaction. In most occupations, logical thought is necessary to apply knowledge to practical situations for problem solving. Both genders probably experience emotion and logic on a daily basis, to some extent, if we were to actually stop and think about it. It would appear the stopping and thinking about it is the problem area.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2006 3:20:36 PM
JCL You do bring up a legit point, the OP was about gender generalization and problem solving. You did introduce another aspect, and I agree, often arguments are just that and not really trying to solve a problem, rather a power struggle. To me, just not worth the effort or energy, you can only have an argument if both people participate.
 crazycat0131
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/19/2006 6:42:52 PM
Well i hear you and feel your pain, for us ladies are very sensitive and emotionial creatures. There are a few of us that can handle situations better then others. But in the end that is what makes guys and girl differnt and for those of us girls that tend to be tomboys or act like a guy, we never get dates because in most guys eyes we are just a buddy. In the end most guys want to be with the girl who is emotionial and hard to understand because its a challange and atractive. No guy wants to date one of his buddies even if she is a girl.
 Mr Bain
Msg: 78
Posted: 12/20/2006 8:55:51 AM
Guys are practical because we have to be. No one's watching out for us. We're on our own. There's a huge difference between what the world expects from us, and what it expects from women.

I know what I'm saying is harsh, but it's true.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/20/2006 11:03:21 AM

OK.. We have all seen this or experienced it in some way. Men look at problems and issues in ways that seem to confound MOST women. By the same token women do the same thing to men. I was told that women feel things deeper and there for act on the emotional aspect of problems. Now I can't agree with that personally. Men feel things just as deep but we take a different role in HOW we solve the problems. We look at a problem from the aspect of SOLVING it, while it seems like women look at it and just want to talk about it. It is something that has baffled me and most men I am sure since the first time we noticed a girl.

Let me hear some insights from both men and women on this please. Maybe it will give us all a better understanding of the opposite sex.

I agree that both genders feel the same about most things, but were conditioned to react differently. Women tend to be more emotionally wired and men tend to be more logically inclined - is it because men are more utilitarian and women are more nurturing? Maybe.

Could be that as we're growing up we either solicit help from someone else by getting upset and/or basically it wasn't discouraged as much as anger in girls, at least in my generation. Men were discouraged from crying or showing emotion. They were told to get past it and solve the issue.

Being the science study I am, I tend to identity with most men - I am more logically wired when it comes to problems, whether my car breaks down or it's a relationship issue. I don't react to the severity of something, instead I walk around it and figure out how best to deal with it. To me getting emotional about something only compounds the issue and makes it harder to solve (takes longer too). I may freak out on the inside, but squelch it quickly; it's counter-productive. That may have just come from my mom being a single parent, and me being the oldest. I dealt with most of my own issues, my dad wasn't there to jump in.

However I can understand why most women emotionally react to things; tends to keep the human element in things, I suppose that's needed, right?
 scruldbrug
Msg: 86
Posted: 12/20/2006 12:21:38 PM

More women have depression primarily because of the social aspect of gender oppression,

dude. did you learn that in some women's studies course? sheesh. yes, women suffer from those sorts of disorders but show me where it has anything to do with the myth of female oppression.
 scruldbrug
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/23/2006 1:18:39 PM

myth of female oppression.
with accompanying 's

sorry, got silly and used a euphemism. guess i shoulda just come out and said 'the great lie of female oppression'. thanks for pointing out my mistake. cheers. merry christmas.
 fine haitian
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/23/2006 1:21:31 PM
It all starts with us we have to look ourselves in the eye and get rid of pride. We have to good some understanding really? I have to sometime ask myself why am i feeling this way and when im honest i find out that im not the only person that was hurt in the process. Well if somneone really loves and care about someone the will find time to fix the problem. Ever recall we dont things our way right now.Look for the answers they will find you. When you be honest people will help you more.
 music_man_canada
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2007 5:45:54 AM
This particular logic that you have regarding men problem solving vs. women emotionally discussing them, sounds almost identical to a page from John Gray's "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" book. Because that's pretty much the entire scope of that book. Women and men think differently, women and men react differently, women and men deal with life issues differently.

The comment I zeroed in on that is pretty much word for word how that book explains it, is "women will talk about something to feel better about something" and they will talk for hours.. what they talk about in content does not always seem relevant, however the most important relevance to hearing her speak, is that you're paying attention to what she says that she feels, not necessarily focused on solving the problem she brings up. It's not a man's job, to 'fix' a woman's problem, and for a man to step in and save the day, is kind of taking the control away from them.. and in essence, some women resent being treated that way. It's pretty ironic that us "problem solvers" almost constantly offer suggestions for a task at hand that a woman presents to us, however she is looking for emotional connection in her problem, not handing the problem to you to solve. If you completely bypass your contrived planning or solution to her problem, and be supportive of the things she describes that she feels, she is much more fulfilled in that you didn't take ownership and 'control' her destined decision making process, you merely were a helping hand in helping her by being an emotionally helpful part of her decision making process. In theory, all it means is she doesn't want a man to solve HER problem.. she just wants to know that YOU know she's capable and more than able, to solve it herself, and that you support her. At least that's kind of the way I understood it.
Men, on the other hand, from the way that particular book described us, are simple. We see a problem, we fix a problem. Then, there's no problem.
Perhaps it's just me, but I can definately see how women would find that entire approach, an unfulfilling way to empathize if they come to a man with a problem, and the man decides to just jump in and fix things.

If a woman wants to help a man, she will want to talk, and relate to his emotion, and a man generally becomes frustrated by nature of his different methodology, which usually makes the woman attempting to offer support, disenchanted from being supportive. The book goes on to describe how men are generally best at solving their issues in a "cave", and that this process properly explained to a woman, will allow her to be supportive, by allowing that "cave" process, to be a part of his solution making process.

Women need the right to share support and ask for support, to feel like a part of a team. They aren't babies that need all the problems in their lives solved for them, and they don't wish to solve your problems either. They've got perfectly good minds of their very own. That doesn't mean that your support isn't the best thing in the world that you can do for them. It's HOW.

Anyone that's read that book, can relate that "women talk men solve problems" post directly ties to that book :D
 music_man_canada
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2007 9:02:46 PM
I felt the need to do an addenum for the last time I posted on here, because I read a book on gender related issues.. and while I do see some merit in his particular case, I certainly feel the need to clarify that particular book is NOT the rocket science of men and women.. BY FAR!

*grin* I'll pass the salt. while I did read that particular book, and of course, spit out the quick book report, I'll say this.. there is absolutely no gender, in personalities. The one thing that is guaranteed, is that if you try and put a personality trait, into a particular gender category, I think you'll be much more entertained, AND better informed, if you immediately formulate your gender opinion, and then acid test it, by finding the same trait in the opposite gender.. try it.. it's fun..

I've run into aggressive physical vulgar strong, VERY independent boisterous independent women in my time, that would drive a man like me right back into childhood. Not to mention the opposite.. whimpering simpering little crybaby men who would sooner sit in the house and decorate cook and pick out the draperies..

While the gist of that book and my explaining it might have some reasonable merit in that guy's world.. you form your own opinion.. do you think thirty years ago women were into nascar, let alone driving them? Believe me, the times, they are 'a' changin..

My obvious addenum, is simply, you cannot stereotype a single personality trait to a single gender. Personality is not gender related. It's PERSON related. It's INDIVIDUAL.

That being said, when I am looking for a particular PERSONALITY type, that fits with mine, you merely START with picking the gender, (Female in my case) and THEN, THEN, you start to look. Save the stereotypes for the history books :)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Male logic versus Female emotions..