Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What do YOU do to keep the fire burning in a long-term relationship?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AStableWoman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What do YOU do to keep the fire burning in a long-term relationship?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am curious about how others handle what tends to be a big problem as a relationship goes on. So many times I hear and see that people lose that extra spark and the relationship gets routine or dull. Although every day can not be a "bed of roses", and life does get in the way at times, I am willing to bet that some of you have some good ideas about keeping things fresh and alive! I would love it if you would share that with the rest of us.

I ask in part because I was married for 19 years and I would have to say that half of it was very mundane. I refuse to let that happen again.

Thanks,
AStableWoman
 Be gone
Msg: 2
What do YOU do to keep the fire burning in a long-term relationship?
Posted: 12/28/2006 6:41:13 AM
Thorns response is very good.

I was with my wife for almost 20 years and we never got bored with each other. Mainly because we accepted each other for who that person was and accepted that we would change. Being that we accepted that each person would change over time things were never boring.

We were also never afraid to try new things.... So many people get set in stone on how they think things should be and refuse to try any thing new in a relationship or life. They sink into the "****ing" about things mode and can't seem to break out of it. (A real relationship killer.)
 studplayrico
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2006 7:11:10 AM
Don't really know, but i will go to my grandparents and take notes. They sure know what it takes.
 webbandit
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/22/2007 5:43:05 AM
Basically, what I tend to do is try new adventures. Take a trip, start new hobbies together. But you are right though, life does take its ups and downs. Whatever you decide to do with your other half should consist of lots of laughs...
 techgirl27
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2007 6:34:55 AM
A Dating Site can include people who are....dating... and have questions. imagine that
 cedar77
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2007 8:02:44 AM
ummmmmm.....playing twister?
 cedar77
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2007 3:44:12 PM

I think you might want to ask someone that has been marriedfor about 50 years. You will probably find more insight into your question. They might even have a little more experience than asking a bunch of single people.

^
Good point....
I've often thought similar.......for a bunch of single people on internet dating ....we sure are a bunch of expert's on all facet's of relationship's...but everyone like's to put their 2 cent's worth in....even if it's an unqualified opinion ...
 Iowapaperboy
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/22/2007 3:52:20 PM
If two people are married for the right reasons, they were the closest of friends once. The only real reason marriages end is that one or both spouses forget that and thus forget what that entails.

If you always hold sacred the friendship you shared at the beginning, you will never need to worry about how it will end.

Life is simple. We make it complicated.
-IPB
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What do YOU do to keep the fire burning in a long-term relationship?