Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > What does enlightenment feel like?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Guardian_Of_Gaea
Msg: 1
What does enlightenment feel like?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
In my experience, it feels like you're in on the friendly giggle of a joke that is existence...

You feel like you're in the depths of true, deepest love, but not with anybody: rather, with all things.

Who else has an opinion on the feelings of enlightenment, and what are those feelings to you?

Have you ever been in an enlightened state?

What do you think is an example of someone in an enlightened state in a movie, perhaps?

~ David
 trippy_hare
Msg: 2
What does enlightenment feel like?
Posted: 1/8/2007 4:23:20 PM
Enlightenmnet, IMO, is not a permanent state, it is fluid, dynamic. It is the sensation that the entirety of existence is laid out before you; that the 'beginning' and 'ending' are one and the same, a sparkling nexxus of 'stuff' that you could hold in the palm of your hand. I've had that feeling once, and only once, and ever since, I have strived to reach it again. Damn universe, with its constantly changing-ness...
 Abetha
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/8/2007 4:46:58 PM
op.....i agree with each of these posts.....they each describe enlightenment.....i would just add......which you have kinda stated.....a deeper understanding/meaning of what is or appears to be.....also the ability to 'let go' can be an enlightening experience.
 Guardian_Of_Gaea
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/8/2007 5:17:11 PM
Absolutely agree. With all of you.

I also think that the best example of an enlightened state, however short it may be, regardless of its cause, is laughter.

The world is, in many ways, a very funny joke. One could say that our humor is a symbolic celebration of reality, even if it is sarcastic or even negative in its underlying view of the world at large.

Just think about what the Metatron said in Dogma:

[What's God like?]

"Lonely... but funny! She's got a *great* sense of humor - take sex for example: there's nothing funnier than the faces you people make mid-coitus..."

[Sex is a joke in Heaven...?]

"The way I see it it's mostly a joke down here, too..."
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/9/2007 12:40:47 AM
Interesting question.
I know somebody I believe to be enlightened, and it does seem like a fluid state which is always present, but while still being human with all the greater virtues; he once said he can be wrong, but he is never in doubt; there is no more struggling; an existence of true freedom in Being. And yeah, love and laughter are definitely expressions of it.

Guardian_Of_Gaea
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/9/2007 12:47:14 AM
If you're right, then I think I've also discovered enlightenment.

To all those who are unsure: it is worth pursuing.
 nice2cu
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/9/2007 8:04:36 AM

It feels like you've just crawled out of a dark confined space into the vast previously unknown.
Like a rebirth of sorts.
A new starting point.
 Mtn Leo
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/9/2007 8:26:00 AM
Great thread! I believe I have achieved temporary states of enlightenment while running. After the first couple miles I seem to enter a state of 'being'. All thoughts and emotions level out. My biological awareness heightens and I feel as though I am blending in with nature.

I have had similiar experiences through artistic expression, which varied based on methods and materials. Computer graphics seem to be a more cerebral or intellectual form of expression, in which case it is a 'mind candy rush' (for me). However, when working by hand the experience enters a completely different and personal level. It is then I believe we can make a connection with our deeper selves, and achieve a form of enlightenment or clarity.

You begin to realize there is no box to think outside of.

Also, for some enlightenment might be a state of self-realization when excessive materialism, superficiality, etc. are merely degredations of self and society.
 AwP
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 5:13:25 PM
I think there's different kinds of enlightenment. I personally tend to experience a zen/no-mind state of mind sometimes. It doesn't "feel" like anything, you just do and never seem to screw up. There's no internal dialog of you arguing with yourself if you're doing something right or not. It'd be nice to be able to maintain it more, but I guess I'm just not that enlightened yet. There are short cuts/crutches to help you achieve this state, they can be good in that they let you recognize it when it happens (though as soon as you recognize it, it's usually over) and know what you're aiming for, the problem is that these crutches don't teach you how to achieve the state without using the crutch, which tends to limit it to doing only those activities. If you've ever been "in the zone" that's pretty much it.
 Guardian_Of_Gaea
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/9/2007 5:16:20 PM
Excellent point. I totally agree AwP, there are different kinds of enlightened states.

Mine is a feeling of being "in on the joke that is life itself"...

Yours is just as valid, and more than likely far more ancient...

If only such pursuits as love and enlightenment could be pursued more exclusively and commonly in daily life...

Now that's the pursuit of happiness, at least in my opinion.

~ David
 AwP
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 5:41:39 PM

If only such pursuits as love and enlightenment could be pursued more exclusively and commonly in daily life...

I think that's part of the cosmic joke.
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/9/2007 6:37:42 PM
"Profound and tranquil,
free from complexity,
Uncompounded luminous clarity,
beyond the mind of conceptual ideas;
This is the depth of the mind of the Enlightened Ones.
In this there is not a thing to be removed,
Nor anything that needs to be added.
It is merely the Immaculate
Looking naturally at Itself."

- Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

The way I understand it is that it is a sense of oneness and wholeness and a freedom for the pains and delusions of life and just a sense of being.

Even though I am Christian and am not a Buddhist, I do believe people have these experiances and I think if it helps people be better people that it's good.

beavisHchrist
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/9/2007 9:08:35 PM
Being enlightened is not just feeling, its being. Being wise. So don't get so carried away with this idea that you're enlightened.
When Buddhist monks are meditating, its not like enlightenment is being pursued as a goal; that's wanting, and such a Western view of it. Wisdom is the way and I'm not so sure I like this idea of people claiming to be enlightened just because they had a revelation or a sense of higher consciousness.
I think when people are enlightened they live it and not announce it.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/9/2007 9:18:30 PM
Enlightenment can always be viewed over the stages of ones life.

Life, Loss, Love, Knowledge, Satisfaction, Contentment...etc...etc

At any point you can re-evaluate and state where you have been enlightened in some way.

Example:
One can't be enlightened to the pain of loss, until they have experienced the true meaning of loss.

When they lose the one they love the most.

All types of enlightenment going around and shaking up the lives of the many.
But you feel it, acknowledge it and move on to be enlightened.....all over once again.

I still enjoy being enlightened

It feels like being satisfied. It's the satisfaction one feels when they complete a job, finish making love, eat an ice cream.

Like opening a box that holds all the answers to the questions you seek.

Everyone has the box but many don't want to open it. They fear having questions, answered.
 Guardian_Of_Gaea
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/9/2007 9:30:50 PM
Hmmm... it seems like you guys think a person can't say their enlightened and be telling the truth...

Well, I'm the one living my life, and enlightenment is not a permanency. If it were, we'd be permanently happy as soon as we heard our first joke.

Zen Buddhists actually do pursue enlightenment... to the exclusion of all other things, in fact. Trust me, I've taken classes, read books, and actually meditated for about 5 effective years-worth of my life.

What? I have above-average theta waves coming from my brain, so I'm almost always nearly meditating.

Anyway, I just happen to have a lot of experience in my life with spirituality, and I've never actively hurt anybody or actively been hurt by anybody in my life, so I must be doing something right.

~ David
 AwP
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 9:52:44 PM

Even though I am Christian and am not a Buddhist, I do believe people have these experiances and I think if it helps people be better people that it's good.

You don't need to be a buddhist, anchorite hermits (christians) were seeking enlightenment too.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/9/2007 9:56:44 PM
Hmmm... it seems like you guys think a person can't say their enlightened and be telling the truth

Not i.

I just pointed out, enlightenment is like the hunt.

It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase.

You'll be forever chasing enlightenment, the same as i and everyone else that breathes air.
 Guardian_Of_Gaea
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/9/2007 10:01:04 PM
Nothing I've ever come across (and that's a lot of stuff) has ever said that enlightenment is definitively permanent.

It's a state of awareness, and like any other perception, it can be lost.

You can see and later, become blind.
The same goes for every other sense.

Why shouldn't it also go for enlightenment?

Otherwise, enlightenment stands alone as a facet of existence, and that doesn't fit with what the Buddhas and Lao Tzus and Jesuses say.

enlightenment is not permanent because man is not permanent, nor is man perfect.

~ David
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/9/2007 10:30:01 PM

because man is not permanent

I'll see you back here on the forums in the year 2187....

We'll see how that statement holds up then.....

The sad thing is......i'll still be single
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/9/2007 11:44:19 PM

You don't need to be a buddhist, anchorite hermits (christians) were seeking enlightenment too.

I know , that us my point. Even Christians can be enlightened and if you think about it, by their very nature if they are truly saved, they SHOULD be enlightened.

If for example a great buddhist like the Dalai Lama became a Christian, and lets say that ebfore that he was enlightened or had attained enlightment....coming to Christ would just make that enlightenment even more potent, I mean obviously there would be some differences to it, like the understanding of and need for forgiveness of sin and the acceptance of Christ as their Personal Lord and Savior, but in my opinion a person can still be enlightened , except once they become Christian, now they have the Holy Spirit in them and the hope of Eternal Life.

That makes it that much better!!!!!!!
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/9/2007 11:44:53 PM
Zen Buddhists actually do pursue enlightenment... to the exclusion of all other things, in fact. Trust me, I've taken classes, read books, and actually meditated for about 5 effective years-worth of my life.

Sorry mate, I'll trust the enlightened person who doesn't misunderstand what I was trying to say. 'When Buddhist monks are meditating..." is what I said, and during this state, enlightenment is not the goal. This is a tricky statement, I see that.

You mention Zen; say for example a person is using a koan, their goal isn't enlightenment; its to come to a realization then understanding of this koan and then express an answer to his teacher. Where the typical Westerner goes wrong is in thinking that this kind of practice will reward him/her with enlightenment when it's the process you go through that is important.

You ask what enlightenment feels like; how can one be enlightened when they don't know what it is? I don't question that you are on the right track; but I question people who identify themselves as Jesuses, Buddhas, and Lao Tzus.

It doesn't matter how many years you meditate, or how many books you read or how long you have been interested in spirituality. That is not how you prove you're enlightened; I don't even think proving it like that is worthwhile.

I'm not enlightened, I realize this; so I may very well be wrong about you, you may be some kind of 'bodhisattva'; so I will look forward to learning from you.

Maybe we should consider that our definition of 'enlightened' is different. Mine is when a person is truly wise. But I don't deny that people have enlightening experiences, but these are more insights and revelations not always making the person wise in all their actions and words.

NewWayHome
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/10/2007 7:07:34 AM
What do you think is an example of someone in an enlightened state in a movie, perhaps?

Fight Club, Edward Norton just before he shoots himself through the mouth in order to rid himself of his alter ego.

If you haven't seen Fight Club, you aren't truly enlightened.

Why?

Enlightenment is a process of learning, growing wisdom, and self-realization that never truly ends nor becomes complete; it can only end when every possible thought and every possible piece of knowledge has been exhaustively considered and assimilated.

The OP is confusing enlightenment with epiphany.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/10/2007 4:50:54 PM
Enlightenment is beyond conception so no point discussing it.

It is the end of the road of the spiritual path.
Once there, you're there.

What you've experienced may be an enlightened state of being, or heightened state of being. Unlimited compassion for all beings is the beginning of wisdom.

It is a sign you are on the right path.
Continue on with joy.

Our Lama once gave a talk about different states of being and types of wisdom to be attained. As he described each higher and higher state of being and experience, the advanced students smiled and nodded as they reconised having had that experience and attaining that state.

But they then frowned when the Lama said that each state of being is a trap if you seek only that and stop there. No matter how pleasant or profound the expereince, you must keep going.
There is always more.

until you reach Enlightenment.....

then you are one and all. Duality ends.
You are there.
 trippy_hare
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/10/2007 4:51:12 PM
As with all manner of intangible topics, the definition of Enlightenment can vary greatly from person to person. Perhaps what is Enlightenment to one is Damnation to another. Who here could definitively say which is which?
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/10/2007 8:30:38 PM
This morning someone asked me a question regarding the mass of the sun, I answered them simply "this morning I took my shirt out of my closet, and when I went to shut the closet, the door shut all the way like I intended , until I go there again"

a few days back a person asked me "what do you look for in a mate physically speaking"

I answered with the following "I had something stuck in my eye this morning, and when I took that thing out, I was able to see better"

GET IT??
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > What does enlightenment feel like?