Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 trevcda
Msg: 5
view profile
History
are there still cd buyers out therePage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I'm still buying CD's and some LP's. For several reasons. One is I don't believe in depriving an artist of his or her ability to make a living off of their work. Free down loading does exactly that; when hamburgers, cars, houses and cable TV are free, I'll reconsider it. Two- I don't like the sound of compressed music. I'll put up with it in a car via an ipod or satellite radio because of the convenience factor, but when I am "listening" to music I want to hear all of it, not the ten percent that some compression algorythym thinks is important. Three- I want the opportunity to hear the songs in the order that the artist intended and not some crappy radio remix that was intended for the limitations of an ipod. Four- liner notes. I miss the art work and other information that went into making an album cover. There are some real works of visual art on some album covers.
 betterlate
Msg: 13
view profile
History
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 1/11/2007 1:42:42 AM
I always buy cds, so I can move from upstairs to car to cabin to truck and I also agree with the statement that the sound is not as good as vinyl and am considering going back, I wish I had never given them all away, I have over six hundred cds, and hate trying to find something fast, I have a player that reads and displays it hold 200 cds but I just hate changing them all out, trying to recall what is where... and putting them all back. When I move the next place will have a turntable and vinyl, cds are good for the car.
downloads seem to cut part off, skip or just not sound as good. I like my music loud and awesome. Since turning to cds, I just dont play as much... that is going to change
once someone puts out some decent music. I still listen to dark side of the moon, once in a while...
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2007 10:24:24 AM
I still buy CD's. I've never burned or downloaded a song in my life. Call me old-fashioned, I guess.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2007 9:26:25 PM
I still buy CDs. If lossless (FLAC) downloads were available for reasonable cost, I'd give it a try.
 kasbia7000
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2007 11:46:45 PM
As a musician and a songwriter i can tell you that IMHO commercial Cd's are going to disappear very soon.
For as much as this may sounds not good for the music industry, I actually think it's really good for independent artists like me. We are now able to market and sell our music over iTunes or other online sites without needing huge support from recording labels.

This is increasing the exposure of new groups and artists everyday more an more.

Also this serves as a lesson to the big labels that ignored us for the last 2 decades. They should finally realise we don't need them anymore! we can sell our music and make it public for anyone who wants to listen to/but it.

just my 2 cents
 iluvsalad
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/30/2007 11:09:39 PM
~OH YES! in fact, the last cd i bought was alanis morissette's jagged little pill (acoustic version) only because i wore it out twice...i haven't the heart to download THAT...not a big downloader at all. if i need to check out a song, AOL or musiclaunch is my domain...but then again, i have friends who will send me songs to listen to that they have downloaded...~
 ReloadZ
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/4/2007 2:56:09 PM
Always buy cds
 flame_tiger86
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/23/2007 10:27:13 PM
I still buy CD's from time to time, the CD I bought was Yellowcard's latest album. In a way I like to think of my downloading as a sort of "preview." If I only end up liking only one song by a band/artist then I probably won't get their CD but if I find I'm liking several of their songs I usually will go out and buy their album. Does that make me a bit of a cheapo?
 blondago56
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 3:13:38 PM
"are there still CD buyers out there"?!? haha~snork-snork~giggle i am so very PROUD of the CD's that i have work hard to buy (after housepayment/car pymt/inusrance/bills/etc/etc) i have two big cases that i really need to insure...(i hope they are if they're in my vehicle ..) i dont download, my sons do..Geez.... i'd still have ALL MY ALBUMS FROM THE '70's & '80's if they werent lost/destroyed when my marriage ended and the house was lost...*sigh* and i *gasp* had 8 tracks!!!!!!!! (i still have the box of cassettes i had for my honda Civic! Hugs to all
 mern
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2007 8:59:35 PM
I have an iPod and still havent bought anything off iTunes. I kind of like having the whole CD package experience...especially since many artists are actually putting effort into them now.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/25/2007 8:18:55 PM
I still buy CDs for the bands I like. I support them. To me its too much of a pain to find every song. Find every song that works. Plus you dont treat burned CDs as good. Have no need for an iPod yet as I'm not a BIG music guy. Just in my car, and CD's work fine for that.

if songs were $.025 each I would never buy another CD. But at a buck a piece I dont agree with it. The labels have no shipping, no production costs at all, its just pure profit. When you buy a cd you GET a Cd the liner notes the case and extras.
 2findU
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2007 7:05:46 AM
I actually bought a few in the past year. But I discovered a few months ago via someone at POF about downloading Bit torrents. So now I have downloaded and burned a whole bunch of CD's which were free. I just had to buy the CD-R's and jewel boxes. And I have been able to find classic rock, blues/rock, jazz/rock, etc. music you probably can't even find at the CD stores or Amazon or anywhere.

I still have some vinyl. Unfortanately the mover lost about 80% of my collection a few years ago. I was quite pissed! And they lost some other stuff too. Of my remaining vinyl I recorded some onto my PC and burned them onto CD. Those were the ones I could't find downloads of. And I still have my turntable. Obviously because that's how I got my vinyl to PC.
 badorb
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:44:03 PM
Well hello all , new on here , anyway seems like a great forum , not all those would you sleep with the person above you kind of things all over the place those are so terrible.

Anyway back to the subject , well yeah i have about 1000 cd's and maybe about 200 vinyl , so yeah they are by no means dead , and I agree with the packaging been a good thing , instead of downloading a file , I like the way a lot of bands give free dvd's away with there cd's these days , well since about 2001 :). I have many disscussions ( god I can't spell anymore ) , about mp3's beign usless , compacted music ugh , would you compact your family to make them easier to store , lol , no ..

They still have life in them cd's and vinyl for sure , I recently bought two Opeth albums cheap at the almost deciest Music Zone , ugh looks weird in there at the moment poor things. Also bought Enter Shikari's album which is superb , um I dont just like rock btw :)..

Anyway cool , debate away guys :) bye
 neuromantic
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2007 9:33:02 PM
I buy CDs, I buy vinyl, sometimes I even buy cassettes. I also download, but mostly stuff long out of print. For the struggling musos, downloding is at least a way of getting exposure. Interesting note: the guys from South park don't care if people download their stuff, as far as they're concerned it's getting exposure...

Also as I type, I'm in a community radio station, in a room full of vinyl. The room next to it has 23,000 Cds in it. I'm in hog heaven.

Toe knee :-)
 **koi**
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 12:35:01 PM
Mostly no. Why? Because it's expensive and I only want a few songs off the CD. Now, when I find an album worth buying I do. Or if an artist I really like and know won't disappoint.
Of course, this is compounded by the fact that I pay more for a CD because how many industrial CDs can you really find at HMV? I know they're getting better, but still, slim pickings.
I'd rather download an album, decide if it's worth the purchase and then buy it. I do buy more CDs than I used to though, as I find more and more artists who deliver consistent and great music.
 Sass_and_Class
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2007 7:38:31 PM
I almost always purchase CDs, as I like to support rising artists. There is a great amount of passion, dedication, and focus that goes into making excellent music and that alone does not make a successful musical career. Thus, financially supporting musicians through product and ticket sales is vital to all professional musicians.
 techgirl27
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2007 8:15:37 PM
I just got 3 in the mail today I bought from amazon.

Downloading is OK to get a general idea if you like the song or artist, or a temporary measure til you can get the album. But the quality is often crap! Not to mention the artist is attributed wrong half the time.

I have bought more CD's in the last 10 weeks than I have in the last 10 years. The ones I got today are Alan Jackson, George Strait, and Boston. Three folks I probably never would have even thought of buying 5 years ago. With the possible exception of AJ. I have loved his stuff since he got best newcomer at the CMA's in the early 90's and have wanted to get one of his disks for a while.
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/27/2007 2:47:47 PM
These days I NEED to 'hear before I buy' ... I really do. I'm sorry but CDs are NOT CHEAP, and I like too many kinds of music to just buy everything everyone puts out. I have so many CDS with one good song on them... just collecting dust now.

So ... I listen if I have the option. And if I like what I hear, I purchase a CD or the songs on iTunes. But to be honest, if I love an album, I WILL purchase the actual CD cause I like to have the whole thing... the art, the notes, etc.

CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/29/2007 10:07:47 AM
MP3's are 'lame' ??

Oooooooooookay.

I LOVE my iPod. I like it better than CDS. I can load 60 gigs of music on to it, and plug it into the iMotion system I take to the studio with me, and, VOILA!! A whole sound system ... plus 60 gigs of music.

Not to mention the sound is EXCELLENT.

I HATED dragging CDS around. Can you imagine dragging 60 gigs worth around? Haha!! No thanks!!!! :)

simply_peachy
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/2/2007 5:01:32 PM
I download songs that I like. For instance, if they're hard to get on cd or I only like one or two songs by the artist, but I'm definitely a cd junkie. I had about 35 when I started University 4 years ago, and I'm up to 250+ in only 4 years....so I'm defintely a junkie. There's just something about having the actual cd, free from faults and with the cd sleeves and what not. Plus, I'm not against supporting the music industry (even if they are pretty much grossly overpaid in most cases.)
 simply_peachy
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/2/2007 5:04:12 PM
I'd also like to add that I'm still using the stone-aged technology of the discman, so having cd's is a good thing for me. I don't feel that I have much use for an ipod, even though my parents have offered to buy me one for many a birthday/Christmas gift; whatever I happen to download I just burn to a cd!
 starrow
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2007 2:23:18 AM
I've not bought a cassette or CD for a long time.
Because I always liston to music beside a computer and so from a computer.
I even seldom download music for I can enjoy much of them online.
That's the reality in China.
Sadly to you guys:(.
 Beholder
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:16:51 PM
I'm definitely still buying CDs also - I do use the iTMS sometimes, usually just to buy the occasional single obscure track - but I really like getting something tangible for my money. I've always been the "download the album first, if it's good then go out and buy it" guy - which I especially like when the disc is hard to come by, and needs to be direct ordered from Japan, or waiting until I take a trip somewhere where I can get a copy, etc.

The problem with CDs however, is that the boxes really suck. It's a standard worked out in the 80s, and it really needs a makeover - the boxes are brittle, too large, and too heavy (packing up boxes of CDs when you're moving is such a pain).

Ideally, I'd love to see CDs just move over to the thinpak-style DVD case (except shortened to the same height the current ones are). The problem with that (other than the fact it'll never happen), is that unlike moving DVDs from the standard size boxes in to the thin ones, you couldn't directly convert your existing collection. (Because of course the front artwork is the booklet, which is thick, and the back panel only works when it sits so the edges meet, etc).

If the industry would switch over to a thin flexible case with a wraparound image and the booklet inside, it would be such an improvement. Of course they're probably more concerned about being able to sell CDs period, without having to increase manufacturing costs by changing something so basic, but... I can dream, right?
 Thatguy67
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 7:15:31 PM
I still buy cds but not very often.

MoFuzz
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 11:00:29 PM
I will always buy CD's by my top five favorite artists just to support them. For everything else, I buy my music digitally.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there