Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Czechers
Msg: 1
view profile
History
are there still cd buyers out therePage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I am a huge vinyl cassette and cd buyer, but as i here it alot of even music junkies like me rely on downloading please tell me it ain't so! i mean the integrity of the music is so at stake, how do you get the collectors item? how do you get you favourite band to go platinum? do they start basing grammys on the number of downloads? do the even change the mvas to the itunes awards? please tell there are still the music enthusiasts out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Mrrab20
Msg: 2
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 1/9/2007 3:49:28 AM
Hey, I believe I can answer this question for you. While I do like to download music onto my i-tunes player, plus I also have an i-pod, I still like to buy CD's from time to time because I don't wanna be one of the ones contributing to the death of the whole CD format. CD's are very important to our culture and I hope that people still appreciate them in the years to come.
 110Percent
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/9/2007 4:19:06 AM
"do they start basing grammys on the number of downloads?"
Don't be surprised down the road.

I still but a CD here and there but usually it is from second-hand stores.
Hit parade don't cut it for me.

110%
 outinspace
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/9/2007 5:48:38 AM
Alaways buy cds.If i download something and like it, it eats way at me until i get a cd.The as soon as i get the cd, rip it onto my computer.Majority of my cds are mint.Oldest onesw probably about 6-7 yrs.(since i bought it, i mean)
 Trewq36
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/9/2007 7:23:45 AM
Gawd! Never download and I only buy CDs when I can't find what I want on vinyl.

Digital does not contain ALL the sounds.

Some of you may know of the therapeutic effects of music. How, "It has the power to sooth the savage beast".

But it only works with Analog. Digital does not have the same effect. If you want to hear all of the music avoid the Digital and go with analog.
 naturenymph
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/9/2007 2:22:03 PM
I still buy Lots of CDs. My collection is Xtremely diverse, although I do have a few favorite genres, & perhaps around 400 in count! Will Never stop, Im sure! Enjoy reading lyrics, too! & not on screen! Also have a couple cool vinyl collectors items being the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, Street Survivors with flames behind the band, only 6000 printed before plane crash & also Metallica, Master of Puppets picture disc! Rock on!
 Seagrave
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 4:49:00 PM
Here in the UK, the singles chart now includes downloads as well as CD/cassette/7" singles. None of the Beatles' music is available for download yet. When their catalogue is released for download, we expect the Beatles to fill the entire top ten.

Personally, I prefer CD. When I reformatted my hard disk and reinstalled iTunes, I received a message stating that the downloads I had purchased had four lives remaining. Is this a common occurrence? I'll stick with CDs for now.
 trevcda
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 5:07:13 PM
I'm still buying CD's and some LP's. For several reasons. One is I don't believe in depriving an artist of his or her ability to make a living off of their work. Free down loading does exactly that; when hamburgers, cars, houses and cable TV are free, I'll reconsider it. Two- I don't like the sound of compressed music. I'll put up with it in a car via an ipod or satellite radio because of the convenience factor, but when I am "listening" to music I want to hear all of it, not the ten percent that some compression algorythym thinks is important. Three- I want the opportunity to hear the songs in the order that the artist intended and not some crappy radio remix that was intended for the limitations of an ipod. Four- liner notes. I miss the art work and other information that went into making an album cover. There are some real works of visual art on some album covers.
 LIL Miss.Giggles
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/9/2007 6:33:18 PM
well since i am having great difficultty in understanding and knowing how downloading works!
i'm sticking with my good old cd's than you very much !

or till i least learn how to download !
 **SisterOfNight**
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/9/2007 6:48:17 PM
I would say that I'm one of those last few people who still buys cds. I own a iPod Nano, but I only seem to use it for travelling purposes or if I'm out of the house instead of carrying around a heavy cd player that takes up too much space. I have a modest sized cd collection. I would say very close to 1000 now or maybe more. All original. Not ripped. It's nice to hear something that you're in the mood for if you have a large collection. I believe it's a different feeling when you actually walk into a store and pick up an album in your hands. I like having the little booklet inside etc. If there's an artist you truly love then I would say buy the album. Downloading is a double edged sword really. It can either hurt or really give exposure to a band/artist.
 dodgeandburn
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/9/2007 8:01:58 PM
If vinyl was still the trend I'd still be buying it as well. I love the scratches you get over time. And the sound was much better.

Same with DVDs. The image is really crappy in those gradient areas. Analog will always be the way to go. But unfortunately money is what makes the world go round.

But, yest I still buy CDs. I may get an iPod eventually, but I doubt I'll get my songs from iTunes. I love listening to the band's whole album.
 MICHAEL26
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/9/2007 9:05:22 PM
I would consider myself a CD buyer as I have a very large collection of them. I try to find a lot of rare ones that you can't get anymore or have been deleted from the computer system. On the other hand I also download music quite a bit onto CDs. The reason for this is that I like a lot of european metal and around here you cannot get the types of bands that I enjoy on CD. Either you can only get them in europe or special order them through HMV where you are paying through the ass for them. I try ebay quite a bit and sometimes find what I'm looking for because I am now boycotting HMV for their unbelivable prices. You can look at it this way, if someone likes a few songs that they downloaded from a band on the internet they are more liable to buy the CD for the music and the inserts that come with them then burning the whole CD off of the internet.
 K3VLAR
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/10/2007 6:50:10 AM
I have bought all 320+ of my CDs
I've got lots of 7" records and full length LPs
I uploaded all of my CDs to my comp so I could have a variety to choose for my ipod
lol
that's a good point about awards being based on record sales
what about downloads that have the wrong band name down for the song? How will they base the Grammys off of that?
LOL
 Trewq36
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/10/2007 7:00:27 AM
Ah but there are a few problems with downloads that I think many people forget.
First is, as Trevcda said:

the sound of compressed music.

Not All the Sounds are there.
But more so is, What is it that you own for your $$$? If your hard drive or iPod dies, where is Your Music now? If you did some backup and try to restore you'll find:

a message stating that the downloads I had purchased had four lives remaining

Meaning three more crashes and it is gone.
If you did No Backup at all, well, bye bye music.

At least with a CD I can hold it in my grabby little hands and know what I got for my $$$.

But now is the time to buy vinyl, while it is still cheap, the prices have been starting to climb and soon vinyl was be big $$$ as it gets harder to find.

But take heart there are a few producers who understand the quality of vinyl and are still putting them out.
 Cats pjamas
Msg: 15
are there still cd buyers out there ?
Posted: 1/10/2007 10:00:41 AM
Yes. I still buy CDs. I then put them on my iTunes on my computer, and the CD will most likely end up in my car at some point. I don't download any music off the 'Net. I don't buy anything off the 'Net. And yes, I am a big music enthusiast !
 TheShoulder
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/10/2007 11:23:44 AM
I will buy cd's once in a blue moon. That's usually because I will download an album, and if there are enough tunes on it that I like, I will purchase it. Also, some hard to find stuff are no longer available for purchase. So what is a guy like me to do? Find it online, and then burn it to cd.
 ~Brook~
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/10/2007 12:55:50 PM
I buy cd's and I burn them as well, it really depends on the artist. I hate spending 20+ for a cd when I only like 3 of the songs on the album :P
 FOUNDnLOST
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/10/2007 1:29:23 PM
ohhhhh theres so much crap out there in the music "industry" it just makes sense to download. im not going to go out and buy a cd ive never heard anything but the radio play tracks. i love music and i love the art. if a band or artist truly put talent and effort into thier music i will go buy the cd. but if theres one decent track on the album i tend to not even pay attention to that artist...if youre going to get rich every track better be have some effort in it. As for the integrity of the music i think it forces musicians to step it up a notch...music these days is so fake and plastic. Not to mention true fans want the album art. it may not be the most popular music but bands like tool that take the time to produce amazing packages get my money more then the half assed pop get rich quick albums out there.
 7rainbows
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2007 1:56:11 PM
I still buy CD's. Download sometimes but if its a band im really into (and there are loads of them) then i love nothing more than to get the CD, read the notes on there, check out the artwork on the sleeve etc so yeah I love buying cd's and hopefully they will never be totally replaced by downloads.
 CheapFatBastard
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/10/2007 9:11:54 PM
I still buy CD's big time. 2500 and counting! I don't even own an Ipod. If I make Mixed Music I still use Cassettes.
I love the feeling of ripping open the cellephane to a new CD,mmmm That new CD Smell.
It's all about the packaging .
 betterlate
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2007 1:42:42 AM
I always buy cds, so I can move from upstairs to car to cabin to truck and I also agree with the statement that the sound is not as good as vinyl and am considering going back, I wish I had never given them all away, I have over six hundred cds, and hate trying to find something fast, I have a player that reads and displays it hold 200 cds but I just hate changing them all out, trying to recall what is where... and putting them all back. When I move the next place will have a turntable and vinyl, cds are good for the car.
downloads seem to cut part off, skip or just not sound as good. I like my music loud and awesome. Since turning to cds, I just dont play as much... that is going to change
once someone puts out some decent music. I still listen to dark side of the moon, once in a while...
 sammylg
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/11/2007 7:36:53 AM
I still buy. I don't like downloading music.

I bought CD number 600 just recently. A group called "Magic Numbers", a Mama's and Papa's type bad. Great album.
 7rainbows
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2007 9:56:43 AM
hmmm well as an environmentalist we could do without the packaging so downloads win in that area im afraid, but i just have to own the cd, its all about the art work rather than the packaging for me
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2007 10:24:24 AM
I still buy CD's. I've never burned or downloaded a song in my life. Call me old-fashioned, I guess.
 Paulchino II
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/11/2007 10:28:08 AM
To me...there's only one good reason to download music...

...if it's rare and hard to find...
...oh and if the band records their live shows and sells them online ie Pearl Jam, C2B3

...I mean...modern production and CD's have killed sound quality as it is...now you're getting compressed files from unknown sources...all the music I snagged off napster has been replaced with the actual albums....

...if the artist is creative enough...the whole album...music and packaging is worth buying...
...gotta get extra shelf space...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there