Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mrrab20
Msg: 2
are there still cd buyers out therePage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Hey, I believe I can answer this question for you. While I do like to download music onto my i-tunes player, plus I also have an i-pod, I still like to buy CD's from time to time because I don't wanna be one of the ones contributing to the death of the whole CD format. CD's are very important to our culture and I hope that people still appreciate them in the years to come.
 outinspace
Msg: 3
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 1/9/2007 5:48:38 AM
Alaways buy cds.If i download something and like it, it eats way at me until i get a cd.The as soon as i get the cd, rip it onto my computer.Majority of my cds are mint.Oldest onesw probably about 6-7 yrs.(since i bought it, i mean)
 naturenymph
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/9/2007 2:22:03 PM
I still buy Lots of CDs. My collection is Xtremely diverse, although I do have a few favorite genres, & perhaps around 400 in count! Will Never stop, Im sure! Enjoy reading lyrics, too! & not on screen! Also have a couple cool vinyl collectors items being the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, Street Survivors with flames behind the band, only 6000 printed before plane crash & also Metallica, Master of Puppets picture disc! Rock on!
 trevcda
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 5:07:13 PM
I'm still buying CD's and some LP's. For several reasons. One is I don't believe in depriving an artist of his or her ability to make a living off of their work. Free down loading does exactly that; when hamburgers, cars, houses and cable TV are free, I'll reconsider it. Two- I don't like the sound of compressed music. I'll put up with it in a car via an ipod or satellite radio because of the convenience factor, but when I am "listening" to music I want to hear all of it, not the ten percent that some compression algorythym thinks is important. Three- I want the opportunity to hear the songs in the order that the artist intended and not some crappy radio remix that was intended for the limitations of an ipod. Four- liner notes. I miss the art work and other information that went into making an album cover. There are some real works of visual art on some album covers.
 **SisterOfNight**
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/9/2007 6:48:17 PM
I would say that I'm one of those last few people who still buys cds. I own a iPod Nano, but I only seem to use it for travelling purposes or if I'm out of the house instead of carrying around a heavy cd player that takes up too much space. I have a modest sized cd collection. I would say very close to 1000 now or maybe more. All original. Not ripped. It's nice to hear something that you're in the mood for if you have a large collection. I believe it's a different feeling when you actually walk into a store and pick up an album in your hands. I like having the little booklet inside etc. If there's an artist you truly love then I would say buy the album. Downloading is a double edged sword really. It can either hurt or really give exposure to a band/artist.
 MICHAEL26
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/9/2007 9:05:22 PM
I would consider myself a CD buyer as I have a very large collection of them. I try to find a lot of rare ones that you can't get anymore or have been deleted from the computer system. On the other hand I also download music quite a bit onto CDs. The reason for this is that I like a lot of european metal and around here you cannot get the types of bands that I enjoy on CD. Either you can only get them in europe or special order them through HMV where you are paying through the ass for them. I try ebay quite a bit and sometimes find what I'm looking for because I am now boycotting HMV for their unbelivable prices. You can look at it this way, if someone likes a few songs that they downloaded from a band on the internet they are more liable to buy the CD for the music and the inserts that come with them then burning the whole CD off of the internet.
 Cats pjamas
Msg: 8
are there still cd buyers out there ?
Posted: 1/10/2007 10:00:41 AM
Yes. I still buy CDs. I then put them on my iTunes on my computer, and the CD will most likely end up in my car at some point. I don't download any music off the 'Net. I don't buy anything off the 'Net. And yes, I am a big music enthusiast !
 TheShoulder
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/10/2007 11:23:44 AM
I will buy cd's once in a blue moon. That's usually because I will download an album, and if there are enough tunes on it that I like, I will purchase it. Also, some hard to find stuff are no longer available for purchase. So what is a guy like me to do? Find it online, and then burn it to cd.
 ~Brook~
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/10/2007 12:55:50 PM
I buy cd's and I burn them as well, it really depends on the artist. I hate spending 20+ for a cd when I only like 3 of the songs on the album :P
 FOUNDnLOST
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/10/2007 1:29:23 PM
ohhhhh theres so much crap out there in the music "industry" it just makes sense to download. im not going to go out and buy a cd ive never heard anything but the radio play tracks. i love music and i love the art. if a band or artist truly put talent and effort into thier music i will go buy the cd. but if theres one decent track on the album i tend to not even pay attention to that artist...if youre going to get rich every track better be have some effort in it. As for the integrity of the music i think it forces musicians to step it up a notch...music these days is so fake and plastic. Not to mention true fans want the album art. it may not be the most popular music but bands like tool that take the time to produce amazing packages get my money more then the half assed pop get rich quick albums out there.
 CheapFatBastard
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/10/2007 9:11:54 PM
I still buy CD's big time. 2500 and counting! I don't even own an Ipod. If I make Mixed Music I still use Cassettes.
I love the feeling of ripping open the cellephane to a new CD,mmmm That new CD Smell.
It's all about the packaging .
 betterlate
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2007 1:42:42 AM
I always buy cds, so I can move from upstairs to car to cabin to truck and I also agree with the statement that the sound is not as good as vinyl and am considering going back, I wish I had never given them all away, I have over six hundred cds, and hate trying to find something fast, I have a player that reads and displays it hold 200 cds but I just hate changing them all out, trying to recall what is where... and putting them all back. When I move the next place will have a turntable and vinyl, cds are good for the car.
downloads seem to cut part off, skip or just not sound as good. I like my music loud and awesome. Since turning to cds, I just dont play as much... that is going to change
once someone puts out some decent music. I still listen to dark side of the moon, once in a while...
 sammylg
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/11/2007 7:36:53 AM
I still buy. I don't like downloading music.

I bought CD number 600 just recently. A group called "Magic Numbers", a Mama's and Papa's type bad. Great album.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2007 10:24:24 AM
I still buy CD's. I've never burned or downloaded a song in my life. Call me old-fashioned, I guess.
 Mtn Leo
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/11/2007 10:34:38 AM
wildgreenwitch wrote:

its all about the art work rather than the packaging for me

I'm with you and others on this one. Security tape is annoying. I am a tactile individual, so it is a small pleasure to go through a unique presentation, and read up on who was involved with the project. One of my favorite past discoveries: Radiohead's Amnesiac - There is a small, art booklet sandwiched between the CD compartment and the case. Ironically I had been checking this area with some favorite artists for unknown print material for awhile, and was pleased to discover Thom Yorke thought of this.

Other CDs worth noting:

Tool: 10,000 Days - Awesome in its presentation and musical expression.
Beck: The Information - A DIY CD Jacket with stickers! Why hasn't this been thought of before?

I have to admit there is a downside for CDs. Dust. Jewel cases not only take up excessive space, but they collect dust, so I usually remove all the contents, and put the cases aside or give them away. I keep my favorite CDs and jackets in portable cases. 10,000 Days and the like are small works of art, which go on the bookself.

CheapFatBastard
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/12/2007 9:12:57 AM
I love Vinyl, but it's so BIG! You can't listen to it in your Car, you can't listen to it at work. If my CD collection was converted into Vinyl it'd fill my house
CD's are so easy to handle, At the touch of a button you can instantly start on any song you want (without having to count Grooves). They need a CD/Vinyl Hybrid. Hopefully one day they'll be able to recreate an Synthetic Analog signal on digital equipment.
One Canadian Artist called C'mon Released their 1st Album on Vinyl a few years ago. Every album came with a "free" cd of the album. I definately can notice a Much Bigger sound on Vinyl. But I still listen to the CD more just because of the convienience factor.
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/14/2007 1:25:48 PM
I buy CDs but not to aid the artist go platnum. I buy them because I want to hear the whole CD, not just the single. Also, I like to have the music in my vehicle, my home or my office.
 punkoholic
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/15/2007 9:52:43 PM
I used to down load lots of music but then my computer when down the gutter. Then I started buying lots of cd's($100 a month on cd's) but now I don't buy as much. Most recent cd purchases were Cradle of Filth and bought +44 yesterday. I also like buying cd's at concerts because A) it's cheaper B) you can get it signed.
 slyqtpy
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/17/2007 8:32:51 AM
I still buy cd's (have bought like 6 in the past month alone!) but I do also download. I'm not at my computer for any length of time to justify having a huge music folder. I download rare and hard to find songs and remixes (like Temptation by new order, I think I only found 1 or 2 people who had it online, took me ages to download). I too, don't want to deprive artists of their bread and butter so when I find I've downloaded 3 songs by an artist, I go and buy the cd. I must agree with a previous poster and say the liner notes and the lyrics are nice to have right at hand. I like to know who the artist sends thanks out to as well. Slightly weird maybe, and maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite, well then so be it!
 Penny Lane 26
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/18/2007 3:25:26 PM
I still buy cd's, i don't agree with downloading, especially when it comes to local music.
 Sierrasman
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/18/2007 3:45:08 PM
I rarely buy CDs. I prefer listening to my vinyl record albums, including my collection of original pressing Beatles albums on the Parlophone label. I want the full dynamic range that vinyl gives you. I use a tube amplifier which really brings the music to life!

There is a commercial on TV showing two guys downloading music onto thier cell phone that just cracks me up. You can't seriously listen to music on a cell phone, but the dumb public swallows whatever dog food the media sends down the chute. People think that because something is new, that it's better, which isn't always true.

The Grammys are a joke!
 Mtn Leo
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/19/2007 8:31:09 AM

I buy CDs but not to aid the artist go platnum. I buy them because I want to hear the whole CD, not just the single.

This sounds snobbish, I know, but chances are if someone just wants the single the artist is mediocre to begin with. I won't buy the full CD for a single track, and I won't buy the single. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
 lenslover18
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/21/2007 7:16:38 PM
i cant remember the last time i bought a cd.
 myhotwheelspin
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/23/2007 1:52:59 PM
I still buy cd's as well. Still a fan of album artwork and you just dont get that with downloads off the net. Besides, all those cd's I have hide that ugly wallpaper.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2007 9:26:25 PM
I still buy CDs. If lossless (FLAC) downloads were available for reasonable cost, I'd give it a try.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there