Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Double income families complaining about childcare expenses      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Diggy03
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Double income families complaining about childcare expensesPage 1 of 1    
On the radio this morning they were discussing how married couples decide if one parent should stay home with the child/ren and the other one continues working, and the cost of daycare should both parents decide or need to work to maintain their house payments, vacations, etc... and how if both work one in essence works to pay for daycare as it costs A LOT (as we all know.)

They were discussing about where does one draw the line with wanting a bigger house, an extra vacation a year or a bigger more expensive car. Going on about how children don't need a vacation at March Break what they need is their parents active in their lives... etc... ( I presume for the money driven)

What got me was that these people HAVE an option to choose to stay home with their children where SINGLE PARENTS DON'T have such an option... let alone the luxury of a vacation period. Now I'm not saying that life is harder or eaiser.. I guess it all comes down to where ones priorities lie.

What are your opinions on the issue?
 no_1_bby
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Double income families complaining about childcare expenses
Posted: 1/10/2007 7:04:28 AM
Funny enough, my GF and I were discussing this just the other night. She and her husband have 3 kids, two incomes. She said her salary went primarily to pay the daycare, plus a little left over for *coffee fund*. I'm a single parent, 2 kids... and thankfully I qualify for subsidy for care otherwise I'd be living on the street because the cost of full-fee care for my two kids is about $1400 a month. Ridiculous if you think about it. At one point last year I was seriously considering applying for welfare and staying at home with the kids because I was looking for work and not able to find anything that paid decent wages that fit into what I felt necessary as far as scheduling and our lives were concerned. I know a lot of single parents work shifts, retail, etc with no problems... the ones I know of tho have always had LOADS of help from friends, neighbors, other family members in order to be able to do those jobs. I get virtually NO help from my family so those types of jobs aren't something I could consider (altho I got many offers to work retail!!).

We're good now... money is still tight, and really I'm the only one to blame on that and I take full responsibility for it.
 Cassie48
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2008 2:21:32 AM
excuse me..... since when has a widow made the choice to be a widow...are you not aware that there are many types of single parents... and what about the mums coming out of abusive relationships.... I AM PROUD TO BE A SINGLE PARENT. ....I am proud of the fact that I eventually found the strength to get out of my abusive marriage....I was also brought up in a single parent family.. my father DIED at the age of 41...after a long illness....do you really think my mum would have wanted that....certainly wasn't her choice. I am from the UK...and we get a raw deal over here too....
 iamtheone39
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/13/2008 4:28:54 PM
So true,my ex complaining about taking off work for taking my son to his Dr. appts. and school meetings yet her and her new hubby have NOT only two incomes,but also my support...yet,I am a single father and ONLY have my income to support my kids 42% and if I take off work the rent won't get paid...Single parents do what they have to do which means sometime we might just have to schedule their appts. when we have some time off.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Double income families complaining about childcare expenses