Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 t-gurl
Msg: 5
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?Page 1 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
With all the horror stories of bad dates, psychos and stalkers going around, testimonials are just a tool to help weed out the weirdos.
 Oral*Heat*
Msg: 8
Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?
Posted: 1/12/2007 7:00:55 PM
I feel that if a man has many testimonials, it can be intimidating and makes me wonder...hmm he sure knows a lot of people out here? I dunno maybe that's a good thing?
 Sparklin
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/12/2007 7:06:05 PM
And then there are the ones that say 'oh this is the man of my dreams'...and ummm...you're trying to sell him to others!! Trust me, if I found the 'man of my dreams' I wouldn't be advertising him to others regardless of whether we had a chance or not...let them work at it to find out lmao!!
 Oral*Heat*
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/12/2007 7:50:59 PM
Good point Justin, never thought of looking that far into them!!!!

I just hope that it isn't viewed as a competition, as in...ohh she only has 1 test, and the other one has 10, hence the latter is the better bet
 Sparklin
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/12/2007 9:46:26 PM
^^^^ too cute!

I've never seen any sexual talk in the testimonials either!! Who would write that and worst yet who would keep that up there?? OH MY ~ that's tmi all around lol
 Firmbear8
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/13/2007 4:58:58 PM
Oh hevk there OP those are not from people whom have dated the person!

Most testimonials you will read on anyone on pof are from friends who know the person and their just telling you how they feel about the person .
And some are from people whom have met the person at maybe a pof meet or party and found them a really nice person . And so they posted a testimonial about how they found this person to be like . And yes it may help some others get a feeling as to what the person is really like if they should happen to meet them in person.
 Lady_hpm
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/14/2007 11:52:37 AM
personaly i think the testimonials should be kept private, its someone talking about you, i wouldnt want someone to sell me to others about what i a m like or if i am liked or not i agree with some of what wbmn wrote i could careless who likes or dislikes me i am who i am not tring to be someone i am not and i wont change my ways bc a few ppl dont like it .. for some ppl they really do need to grow up smell the coffee and stop judging ppl .. but accept them pof is a cool site and so many ppl have the need to hurt other ppls feelings or thoughts ... just open ur eyes ya never know whats deep down inside a person .... just my thoughts
 Nolly_
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/14/2007 1:24:48 PM

If a see a girl with three testimonials and all of them that wrote one, have use drugs on their profiles. It gives me more information on her and her crowd.

Her 'crowd'? What is this, high school? I have friends who are occasional pot-smokers and some who are not. Just like I have friends who listen to hip-hop and some are into punk, some are Wiccan and some are Catholic. You can not judge me by my friends other than to say that I am open minded. I don't personally indulge, but don't care if others do (just open a window please! )

My first testimonial is from a man I met on here who has become a great friend and the other is from an ex (yes, an 'EX' OMG lol) with whom I am still very close to. Now, because I'm not looking for long term, this may not be detrimental for me however, I can see how it would be if I were. Then again, I couldn't be in a relationship with a person so insecure that they'd negatively judge me by the fact that I have male friends.
 Lady_hpm
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/15/2007 12:20:48 AM
Hmmmm....48-25=23.... I think I'll just have to dream about that one!!

age is just a number is it not ?
 prof_chaos
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/30/2007 12:40:26 PM
I could care less if A:someone has 100 testimonials or B if they have zero nor do I care how many I have.Is it a poularity contest?I dont see it that way, but some might.If I get one, thats nice and appreciated but Im not gonna cry in my beer cause Billy has more teste's than me,wait I mean testimonials I would get upset about the teste"s thing.

I do wonder about the favorites list , for strangers its one thing but what if youve met someone and hung out and add them to your favorites ,but dont get added back,would you consider that a polite "hint"?
 Sparklin
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/15/2007 8:50:05 PM
Well, MY testimonials are certainly not a turn off for me. I so rarely view my profile and when I do and my friends have written how they feel about me for everyone to share....MAJOR TURN ON!!!

This site has brought so many people together, whether lovers or friends and I don't see any reason that their opinions shouldn't be shared for others to see. All it does for me is make me realize how very blessed those individuals are to have so many wonderful friends in their lives ~ and how very blessed I am most of all for all the beautiful, incredible people who have captured a piece of my heart!
 VainH
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2007 11:43:10 AM
You realize of course that we could never be friends. What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her. Even the unattractive ones, they pretty much want to nail 'em too. Even if they don't want to have sex with you, the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.

Incidentally, 90% of this post was plagerized and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the poster.
 Sweet Euphoria
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2007 2:52:44 PM
I think it depends on what the testimonial says and who says it. The only ones that turn me off are the ones that say what a great lover the man is (saw that today on a profile). That's great but, I'm looking for more than just sex. I've seen one or two that have men saying they are looking for women their age but every single testimonial is from some young babe scantily clad spouting off how they would snap this guy up if they weren't too young for him yet they talk to him all the time and are great friends.....who wants to deal with that?

Frienship testimonials don't bother me at all!
 Bestknight
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/18/2007 3:24:50 PM
ALL of my testimonials are from Young women. They are all my friends. YES I am looking for a woman close to my age.
They are all positive messages and NO I will never delete them.
All my friends that are close to my age are married and not on POF.

I do read women's testimonials. TRUE I would like to get to know a person myself and make my own opinion. Still a nice testimonial never hurt.
 My I
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/26/2007 8:59:28 PM

i have read (not all but most) the person who is leaving the testimonial seems like they are saying..."this person is the best dont pass them by, they wont be single long" ((makes it seem like there is something wrong with them or else why isnt the person leaving the testimonial with them if they are such a great catch?)) and i mean that for men leaving messages for women and vice versa as for any others well to each their own....if they are leaving messages about how great a person they are and how much fun it was to meet them that is one thing but adding that bit about ....."they are a great catch" or "dont miss your chance with this one" it sounds...phony and pathetic....

Keep in mind... testimonials are just opinions and if the person is a keeper, yet not kept, and iif the person is still single for a long time when the testimonial staes otherwise... obviously many are in disagreement of that opinion (testimonial).

For the most part, testimonials are written with bias... leave it at that.
 charger21
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/29/2007 9:22:32 AM
For Saps....last ditch effort to get her to consider you...
 My I
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/30/2007 3:10:22 PM
The testimonials helped me out. I ran across a profile in which she appeared to be a great woman. I read her testimonials and because of the testimonials I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

The testimonials had descriptions such as :
sexy
affectionate
makes good breakfasts (or something similar about breakfst)

The list goes on... the reason I didn't contact her is because the guys who wrote the testimonials were 29 and 31. She was in her mid -forties.

So, in effect, testimonials can work in a negative and/or positive manner. In this case... it depends on how old you are.
 Celticmist
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/1/2007 10:43:15 AM
There is only one judgement I trust when it comes to choising who I would like to be with and that is my judgement. I have read a couple of testimonials of people I went out with and they just were not true, so no they don't turn me off, I just ignore and wait until I meet the person, so I can form my own opinion aboout them.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2007 9:05:58 PM
I would read the testimonials sometimes. I think it is nice when someone has people who think highly of them. I wouldn't base everything on that, though.
 zuzus_petals
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 5:14:34 PM
I really don't consider testamonials at all. I prefer to form my opinions. Most of the ones I have read are from women making it seem as though it's some type of competition for the guy anyway. Not my thing.
 Leeanne
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2007 7:35:00 PM
Too bad some people have to put such a negative spin on something so nice and from the heart of people that care for them!! I for one am honoured to have my friends say such nice things about me!! If people have such negative attitudes about the good things in life - It makes me wonder how they view the world in general! Not a nice way to show yourself to others - negativity begets negativity!
 My I
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/3/2007 8:04:45 PM
Too bad some people have to put such a negative spin on something so nice and from the heart of people that care for them!!

Keep in mind Leanne, some guys submitted testimonials as a means to thump their chest and indirectly tell other guys he scored with her. There are a lot of "Friends" submitting nice testimonials but, there are also alot of men/women indicating their conquest.

On some profiles... first impressions are everything. Some testimonials are not very good first impressions. Not meaning to pick a certain group/demographic but, if you read testimonials from some of the "younger men/older women" type relationships... it's not that dignified in many cases.

Some descriptions I've read in many testimonials:

"She's a real woman" - **no shit, sherlock**

"Knows how to treat a man." - **coming from a 22 year old guy means, she supplies the condom and puts it on for him - lol**

"Don't miss out on this one guys." - ** "This one"? I guess this is Toys R' Us**

My point is.... testimonials may be of good intention and may be served in the right manner for some people but I don't think they serve good to other people... it's a catch-22.
 WildFlowers65
Msg: 103
Posted: 7/6/2007 10:26:46 AM
I agree with cowgirl,the person will only post positive testimonials,the others....maybe the REAL ones we need to see are deleted.Personally I think it's tacky.
Flowers
 WildFlowers65
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/6/2007 10:32:42 AM
I'd like to see people put a list of their negative attributes up on profiles.For instance.....****y in the morning,a guy that'll steal your panties,get's drunk and brawls,past Mental Asylam stays,jail terms,.............now that would be interesting!
Flower
 whatagirlwants07
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/21/2007 6:24:31 PM
I think it's a complete turn off.

I don't need someone else's opinion to make a determination on who I would go out with.

It also seems kind of juvenile.To me it's like marking your territory when you have no right to.

Can also clue you in to what type of people their talking to and if it seems they are the total opposit of me then I just figure I wouldn't be their type.

I think it can be very discouraging...I'm too old to compete like I was in high school.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Is it just me, or are testimonials a turn off ?