Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What Makes a good Profile verses a bad one.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shore66
Msg: 2
What Makes a good Profile verses a bad one.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I just checked out your profile and I think it is one of the better ones I have seen on POF. It is long enough to be informative, shows your sense of humor, isn't conceited, and concentrates more on defining who you are, rather than listing all the traits you want in a woman.

Good luck
 johnferg
Msg: 5
What Makes a good Profile verses a bad one.
Posted: 4/9/2005 6:10:15 PM
A good picture!!

That all you need.

A pic also automatically disqualifies you from being a weirdo, a stalker, a loser, a creep, a pedophile, and a serial killer

As you can see my profile clearly sucks and I'm suspect of being all the above
 Pandy
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/9/2005 6:34:57 PM
I checked out your profile, and it looks good moundpuppy, gives a real sense of who you are and what your looking for.

What makes a bad profile?
NO information at all, what is obviously a poor grasp of the English language (ESPECIALLY if English is your first language), all caps, really, really bad mispellings, horrible internet slang and abbreviations, overdone hip-hop slang and spelling, no picture, dark, blurry or otherwise obscure picture,
Looking too needy or desperate, or seeming c*cky or arrogant, bragging about your income or all your pricey show-off stuff (it might be great to pick up some women, but I hate seeing pics of your boat or your car or your house if it looks like you're a braggart), a whole profile of chest pictures (one tasteful one might be OKay if it looks like a natural pose taken by someone else and if it's with standard head shots) , as a photographer I HATE the ones people take of themselves in the bathroom mirror with the flash on ICK.
I also am really turned off by pictures with you of an old girlfriend or love interest.....or worse yet, one that has alll of her cut out but hair and part of an arm......
I realize this sounds picky as hell, but I'm just trying to help out by letting you guys know some of the things that might make me click right past an email I would have received.

What makes a good profile?
Something that shows a little bit about your genuine personality. Don't just SAY you have a good sense of humor, post a pic of you doing something silly, or say something funny in the profile.... Don't just say you love animals, mention a favorite pet, or a pic of you with your dogs.....just makes you seem more genuine and real that way.
I also like pictures that show the subject in several different poses, places....and a variety of poses angles. ....one of you fishing, another a smiling close up shot, that kind of thing

Hope this helps guys
 Pandy
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/9/2005 7:53:30 PM
great profile, justa.....LOVE the glossary, that's a clever addition.
Pictures are nice and varied, and just like moundpuppy's, your profile give a real sense of who you are and what you're about.

well done.
 hotbush
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/9/2005 8:04:02 PM
@notabimbo....
I already get treated like everybodies mama and if they find out that I'm also bright and sensitive heaven only knows what kind of mail I'll start to get! LOL
 Pandy
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/9/2005 8:10:53 PM
darlin', with a screen name and pictures like yours you could string 70 unrelated nouns together in your profile and STILL get hounded with emails
 AZDANYOMAN
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/28/2005 5:38:22 AM
Ithink a good profiles ...has a good picture thats current...and one where the lady tell in general her likes and dislikes..but the picture is very important ...chemistry is the other ...
 Jeopardy_Junkie
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2005 7:16:21 PM
I understand what you're saying about too short or too long....less than a few sentences...too short...more than a few paragraphs....too long!!! Does that help any????
jj
 plen1
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/28/2005 7:23:24 PM
Could someone tell me how my profile looks. It doesn't seem to be doing me any good.
 Jeopardy_Junkie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2005 7:58:37 PM
plen1....guys are clean cut...not women...lol Add more to your about me section. Leave out anything that sounds bitter like no head games etc. Talk about what you like to do and what you want out of life. Add a few more pics if you can...showing what you like to do in your spare time or what your personality is like.
Hope this helped....
jj
 plen1
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/28/2005 8:03:14 PM
Thanks
 singlewolf
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/15/2005 11:07:19 PM
hey shore, i think it's good to tell about what you want in a woman. then you don't wast time talkin with someone who isn't your type, and vice versa.
 JessKO
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2005 1:20:48 AM
Good profiles:

Don't sound sappy, whiney, too romantic, or lonely.
Don't jump the gun and talk about future stuff like marriage and kids and long term relationships.
Don't make promises to strangers/ bribe them with descriptions of how you would treat someone you would be serious with.
Don't say stuff just cause you think it's what people want to hear.
Don't use your kids as bait.
Don't talk too much about what you don't want.
Don't put yourself down or sound too egotistical.
Don't get too serious or philosophical

Great pictures
Give a quick description of your basic interests and lifestyle.
No typos.
 BadKarma80
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/19/2005 6:32:48 PM
So what do you guys think of my profile?
 MizzzzD
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/20/2005 6:02:14 AM
Honesty!
 FatherChaos
Msg: 22
New and wondering if i made any of these mistakes mentioned
Posted: 5/21/2005 11:38:50 AM
well, I just joined here last night.... made a lame ass profile...... and re-edited it after reading this post

i'm up for critique
 LfLvRzn
Msg: 24
moundpuppy, too long, and 3/4 about yourself
Posted: 5/26/2005 6:48:44 PM
Hey MOUNDPUPPY
Just checked out your last comment and your profile. I wish more men wrote as much about themselves as you did!
PS as I lived in SC for a while, (and sometimes wish I was back there!)
I must say:
You are not HOT
You're BOILING!
 missouripbrfan
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/12/2005 12:36:17 PM
I have to diagree with the comment that if someone posts a picture that automatically disqualifys them from being dangerous because it would be very easy to post someone elses picture if they wanted to. I think u have to be careful no matter who u talk to on the internet even if they are a business. I have talked to alot of my friends online that I have met thru a personals site for over a year b4 I even talk to them on the phone. Maybe I just havent been impressed enough by the right man to care if I lose them over disinterest by talking only online or only in emails but I cant be too careful when it comes to disclosing my phone number or my address, I have children at home and not only am I trying to keep them safe but trying to set a good example for a teenage daughter. It impresses me for a man to understand and respect that!!
 malabux
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/12/2005 2:22:11 PM
Moundpuppy, my personal opinion on what makes a truly good profile is that it isn't about what grammar, spelling, or pics you use - Instead it is whether you display your attitude towards the usage of the entire Plenty Of Fish network as a whole. Keep in mind, however, that the spelling, grammar, and pics SUPPLEMENT a good profile. Any pile of crap book can have the best spelling, and word and punctuation usage, in the world, but it's still a pile of crap.

If you look at my profile, it's rediculous - if I were trying to be serious, but it is appropriate because I am not serious about this website. To me, this is just something fun to do and not get too wrapped up in. (Although I am being sincere with this post!)

If you want serious results, heed the advice of using proper grammar, spelling, and post respectable pictures of yourself. Don't post a picture of a thing you like just to say you like it, post a picture of it because it shows a part of your life - after all you've only got eight pics or so, so make them count. You could think of it as a way to supplement the text portion of the profile by 8,000 more words. :)

Hope this helps.
Malabux.

ps.
 boxman
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/12/2005 2:37:32 PM
I used the best picture of my boy that was available. He had three dates last week. I stayed home and watched CSI
 tflint
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/12/2005 9:46:06 PM
Hey Pandy, Do you think the same about a girls profile?
 semperfi50
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/14/2005 1:10:54 PM
tflint, yours is short and general--need some more pics
 ladydi8
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/17/2005 12:49:57 PM
hiya mound...nice profile...although i'd prolly use that smilin pic fer tha main one.. course thas cuz i like grinnin an thangs tha make me grin........an it makes folks wonder what yer up to when ya grin alot

i just redid my profile...an i aint about ta tell somebody i am a sweet southern bell.......but i can be fun

good ta see ya brother mound, yer fish is out there workin on her appetite...when shes ready, she'll take yer bait!
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/17/2005 2:01:25 PM
Bad profiles (these are not actual profiles):
(female)
Hi im new the internet dating thinkg and i am looking for a guy who is hoenst and luving. But not only interested in sex, it that is what he wants he can keep on looking. I am a magnmus person and always sacrificing myself for others and I am so honest and caring and I never lie. I am not a psycho **** and i don't like being called that and I don't like guys who play games like the ones who won't let me call them at work 12 times a day to make sure they aren't cheating on me.

On the 1 date i would ask to go to the red lobstr or the olive garden but my man betr be a gentleman and now how to treat a lady. I also like moonlit walks on the beech and buty i don't want to have any sex thou cuz I only do that with my boyfriend

(male)
I am very laid back and funny. I'm bery creative in the bedroom. I am looking for a blonde with some jugs who laughs at my jokes. I like dogs and pizzaz

On the first date if she is hot enough we will go to my apartment and watch DVDS but probably just get down to it if the mood is right.

END

I have seen many profiles that essentially are just that and nothing more (mine are a little comically exaggerated). Easy to steer away from.
 donny - yuan
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:35:07 AM
dear friend, I hope it's not to late. please check at doclove.com. hope my master can help you. have faith. gudluck
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > What Makes a good Profile verses a bad one.