Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...Page 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I just got a message from some guy, acted like he barely speaks English...

First asks me my name, I won't give it to him, then pics which I wouldn't give him..then he asks about my kids which I DEFINITELY am not telling him about...

So then he starts asking about my job, WHERE I work, how much I make, how much my house, car, etc. cost...I won't tell him and he just keeps on and on...I did talk to him for a little bit because I wanted to see how far he'd go.

His yahoo profile says he's in the UK, but he tells me he's from NIGERIA. *RED FLAG* He asks me if I ever heard of it, I said "Yep" and he asked how. I just said I'm aware of all the Nigerian scams.

What is up with these people????

I just thought I'd warn everyone. I know there are some people that have fallen for their scams before and I'm pretty sure this is probably how it starts, so watch out if someone like this contacts you and this is the route your conversation takes.

Be careful y'all!!!
Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...
Posted: 1/15/2007 12:16:20 AM
Darn, never thought of that. I have pretty good protection on here though. He'd have to get through that and I haven't gotten any messages saying a remote attack was attempted. He shut up right quick after I said "I am fully aware of all those Nigerian scams". Never said another word and I blocked him.

He was getting a bit irritated though...How much do you make? "Enough". How much did you pay for your car? "Enough". How much did you pay for your house? "Enough".

Ah, gotta love it. NOT.
 flaboyinky
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/15/2007 7:11:32 AM
The money grubbing scumbags are easy to spot. They give themselves away by not being able control their hunger for our cash.
I always tell them to bl*w me, when they come off with their sob stories.

Its too bad some people fall for that kind of crap.
Posted: 1/15/2007 8:03:27 AM
I just wanted people to be aware so they can look for it. There are good hearted people out there and I don't want anyone falling for this.

Dang, now I wanna play a little with that stuff I googled. Thanks! ;)

Oh, it was already starting about 3 minutes in. "I have to go help mum, she's very sick"..."she called earlier"

Yep, well that's just too dern bad!!!

Happy New Year to you too, oldsilverfox!! :hug:
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2007 8:12:40 AM

He states that he will send a cashiers check for the amount of the car and will also have someone pick it up once the check clears.

This is a very common scam. See, they get YOU to cash the either forged or stolen check. Sometimes it takes a few days... even weeks before the bank figures it out. And when they do, the bank expects full compensation. Including the "leftover change" that some have kindly sent back.
Posted: 1/15/2007 8:41:55 AM
There was a thread here awhile back that had a few people in it that fell for it. That's how come I wanted to post this. There are more people that fall for this than you think.
 ISORealismNOTPerfection
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/15/2007 8:45:07 AM
I get emails all the time saying "a long distance relative has left you money in their will, now send your account info and we will wire all monies" blaw blaw. Heck, if some long distance relative left me money, wouldn't I be needing THEIR ACCOUNT INFORMATION lol. Delete those messages, delete delete...
 Heart Bandit
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/15/2007 12:02:16 PM
I still can't believe after all this time that there are people who could fall for this scam.
A person who tells you after a few emails that they are in love with you. Yeah right! But they are in Nigeria visiting a sick relative, or visiting a friend, and need money to come "home" to "usa" to be with you. Or, a woman who is being held against her will in a hotel because she was robbed and needs you to send money to the hotel manager, who also took her passport.
All want the money sent to some guy in Lagos, Nigeria via Western Union. Does Western Union have a stake in these scams?

The scam involving millions that can only be taken out of the country by a foriegn partner (you). Or the varient, they are looking for a relative of a deceased millionaire businessman and you are to pretend to be the next of kin. lol.

From romancescam I've found the site where you will find most of the pics of models being used by these criminals.
www.focushawaii.com is a real modeling agency that these guys steal pics from. You will see many familar faces there.

Another thing. It's quite easy to tell if it's one of these guys contacting you. Their use of the English language is the key. The profile usually says, "am so and so from usa" (they use "4real" a lot in the profile name, or use a first and last name together), "looking for God fearing man." And if they talk about their "mum." Americans don't call our mothers, "mum."

Use common sense and stay safe.
 BlackCat36
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/11/2007 5:24:40 PM
haha

a friend told me about this scam on a local for sale web site she was looking for a small dog and she answered an ad for a pure bred dog for sale well she emailed him asking about the dog etc she got an email back saying that the dog is with him in africa not here cause he had to move he wanted 200$ plus the travel expense for the she told him that she wants to see the dog before she buys it like any smart person he refuses and she told him well your trying to scam me she sent me all the emails he sent her and i smelled scam
 sparkyjr
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/11/2007 5:55:02 PM
What do you mean now. I been on other date sites for over a year now, and getting these scamers. And it is like Jazzlover said. it has happen a few times.
I have (i'm calling them scamers becouse I don't know if it is a man og woman( telling me how munch they won't to see me. but they need me to wire them any where from $500 to a $1000 to come here. Some one I never meet or talk to.

so watch out all.

the way I can tell is if they tell you on there e-mail instead if the mail on the site.

Check out this site www.antiscammer.net
It has a list of photo of to scamers out there.

You can ckeck out there im address if they e-mail you my changing the setting on your e mail and see where they from. I use this site. it is free http://aruljohn.com/track.pl
 BORNNATURIST
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/29/2007 2:26:28 PM
ive got one trying it on now but cant see the scam yet as i will try and reverse it if i can .i hate scammmers.
 dvalkerie720
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/5/2007 7:18:46 AM
This has been around a while .. the country is so poor and corrupt government that they have to turn to crime to gain funds to survive. It doesnt make it right or condonable but just keep in mind that scamming is the 3rd form of income for this country!

Ok.. so lets keep some things in perspective and what you don’t know… can actually hurt you! We are all here for the same reason to meet someone and have a relationship but what happens when the person on the other side isn’t who they say they are? They have now preyed on your emotions and desire to be in a relationship to commit INTERNATIONAL BANKING FRAUD.

Wait that doesn’t sound right? Or does it? So lets look at the facts first:

As of 2004, there were 8.4 Million fully paid subscribers to over 1,000 internet dating sites. In fact, 1% of all internet activity is dating and romance related. The market was worth $516 million in 2005. On many dating sites, up to one third of all profiles are fake, virtually ensuring that any user who communicates with more than two other members will have an approach made by a scammer. Assuming just a 1% response rate, there are going to be at least 84,000 people who each stand to loose a relatively modest $1,000 each. The total losses in this scenario will work out to be more than $84 million, and that is in just one year.

Still don’t see the connection…

You know those letters you get, my dead uncle has all this money but I need perfect stranger to get it out of West Africa? Those are what are called Advanced Fee Fraud or 419 letters, (419 is the Penal code for the crime in Nigeria). Due to the bad press the government developed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and instilled the Commission Act of 2002. (Now ironically, the Clinton Administration was responsible for providing the technology initially to Nigeria and Ghana – nice thank you huh?) After the enforcement of the laws and the raids on numerous cafes, the criminals needed a new method of income because the average monthly income for a family in Nigeria is less than $50USD and with the exchange rate $100 USD is equal to $12K Naira which can pay for housing and food for 3 months or a full year of educational fees.

Patience Im getting there…

With the influx of the online dating sites they found their victims, lonely, romantic, recently single and ripe for the picking. Using techniques of social profiling, hours are spent scouring the sites targeting singles or unhappily married men and women between the ages of 35 and 65.

They provide an ear to listen to all the woes of the victim’s life details, children’s names, life stories and deep dark secrets. They use stolen photographs from various modeling websites and make-up sad stories of lost loves and family members. Days pass with love letters and e-cards, sometimes even flowers, chocolates and teddy-bears. Using a deliberate psychological breakdown of their victim’s physical state through sleep deprivation (intentional phone calls in the middle of the night), guilt, harassment, and most importantly create an emotional bond. This bond has the victims left feeling completely at ease with their new companion. The promises of love and a future together have blinded the victim and most sense of reasoning has been eliminated.

The “Perfect Mate” has to suddenly travel for business to West Africa, or is already on assignment. He will take ill or have an accident and be placed in the hospital without a means to pay for his hospital bill. It has been documented that robbery, loss of all monies and identification or most recently the mate is being held hostage by kidnappers or the police. Preying on the undying love they share with their prey, they zoom in for the kill begging for money to be sent via Western Union.

In some cases the scammer has United States Postal Money Orders that they cannot cash in their country and will send them to the victim in exchange for wiring the money back for plane fare, and incidentals as well as promising to be on the next flight home. When the Money Orders are returned counterfeit; the victim is left accountable; scammer disappears or seems to not know anything about the origin. Money Orders are not the only type of financial instruments; stolen bank checks have also been used.

In many cases, there is an additional reshipping scam. Criminals use stolen credit cards to purchase items online, have them sent to their “loved one”, and they in turn will forward them onto the criminal. For merchants, the order is placed and shipped, the cardholder requests a credit from the issuing bank of the credit card and chargebacks are created. The authorities are notified and the victim is held accountable.
 ponygrl™
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/26/2007 11:48:32 AM
important information to all that are on other dating sites as well......

last month i was talking to a guy that said he was from maryland. he and i became close but he never asked me to send him money. i posted in the pa forums about some of the things.

anyway.....if you know how to run the netstat command to pull ip numbers then i suggest that you give it a shot...only if you feel as if the person is a scammer. now, in yahoo messenger it's going to show a bunch of numbers...the numbers that you want to look at are the foreign numbers (numbers communicating with your computer). you can download a whois program but it's only good for 30 days. what you do is key in the ip numbers at the bottom of the group of foreign numbers and find where they are coming from. that would show you the vicinity of where they're getting their connection through.

any emails.....there's a site that you can use to pull the ip numbers for that as well.

i've been talking to another guy this morning and busted him as well. i have pics, yahoo ip numbers, server ip numbers as well as stolen ip numbers plus his own from his email.

i'm not allowed to work so i might as well do something worthy to help rid some of these people. now, if there are any guys that have been scammed or approached by a scammer please feel free to contact me.....let's talk but only after i check you out as well.

oh, i almost forgot....these scammers are not only from nigeria but ghana and other places in africa as well as russia. they steal pics from innocent people like us or model sites and use them. trust me, i got enough on 2 other people as well plus the first guy that tried to have me send him over $1500. of mechandise purchased on stolen credit cards. i have that info as well.

oh inter-pol.........where are you?
 arieann
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/28/2007 4:18:03 PM
When I find scammers online, I scam them into making fools of themselves. I play along with the "I love you" and "lets get married" crap. This one scammer wanted money for his own computer so we could keep in touch. I told him my nephew will give me the money to give him, but he wanted to meet him online first. Here is the conversation they had. My nephew copied it and sent it to me. My nephew is also telling him lies to piss him off and worry him. Here it is.

[19:51] leewells2000: I hear you are wanting to marry donna?
[19:52] haggaiwonder: yes
[19:52] haggaiwonder: how are you doing today
[19:53] leewells2000: I'm good.
[19:53] leewells2000: Where do you live by chance?
[19:54] haggaiwonder: i do stay in texas
[19:54] haggaiwonder: i was trasfered as a medical doctor my professoin
[19:55] leewells2000: Oh good ole texan eh? Sorry for the abupt intro,

my job is criminal research, as in another words, I'm an investigator
with the US FBI.
[19:55] leewells2000: But, donna says you are legit, and on the up and
up, should be no problems. =)
[19:55] haggaiwonder: and i am willing by God's Grace to get married to

marry donna
[19:56] haggaiwonder: there will be now problem
[19:57] haggaiwonder: i cant do anything to hurt her
[19:57] haggaiwonder: cuse she is my QUEEN
[19:57] haggaiwonder: and i love her so much
[19:57] haggaiwonder: all i need now is your support for us to be
together
[20:01] leewells2000: Well we will have to talk in person further
[20:01] leewells2000: So when can you come to my office?
[20:03] haggaiwonder: i will look for i convinient time to come and pay

you a visit
[20:04] leewells2000: You tell me, when is a convinient time?
[20:05] haggaiwonder: less i talk
[20:05] haggaiwonder: i dont know your office
[20:05] haggaiwonder: where is it located
[20:05] haggaiwonder: cuse i will loce to meeet you in person too
[20:05] leewells2000: I'm at the NC FBI officer in Raliegh
[20:05] leewells2000: you know where that is?
[20:05] haggaiwonder: cuse i know you must be a nice man
[20:06] haggaiwonder: okay
[20:06] haggaiwonder: thanks so much
[20:06] haggaiwonder: your name
[20:07] leewells2000: I'm Lee Wells just like the im name
[20:07] haggaiwonder: thanks so much Mr lee wells
[20:08] haggaiwonder: i hope you are going to let the marrage hold cuse

i have true love for marry
[20:08] leewells2000: When you call {704) 377-9200, just ask for
Detective Wells, they will know who to transfer you to.
[20:08] leewells2000: marry?
[20:09] leewells2000: Ok Haggalwonder mind answering a few questions
that I've had my office dig up right fast?
[20:09] haggaiwonder: sorry that is not my name
[20:11] haggaiwonder: i am Mr John Terry
[20:11] leewells2000: WEll at the moment I'm satisfied with your AKA,
what I'm talking intrest in is your IP address (this is the address
that
identifies and LOCATES you when you connect to the internet.
[20:12] leewells2000: Would you mind explaining why its not from Texas,

or even from the United States for that matter?
[20:12] haggaiwonder: i will take off two weeks for me to come to your
office
[20:12] leewells2000: You know haggalwonder, I really hate it when my
questions aren't answered.
[20:13] haggaiwonder: why all that answer
[20:13] haggaiwonder: ?
[20:13] haggaiwonder: you are only ment to alk about marry
[20:13] leewells2000: I will ask one more time, explain to me why your
IP address states you are not located in the United States, much less
Texas in which is where you said you were. The point is you LIED.
[20:14] leewells2000: who is marry?
[20:14] haggaiwonder: is like you are just disgracing me
[20:14] haggaiwonder: i mean donna
[20:14] leewells2000: Exactly
[20:14] haggaiwonder: you make me fell embarased
[20:15] haggaiwonder: i dont like all that questoins
[20:15] haggaiwonder: okay
[20:15] leewells2000: Me discracing? No sir, I haven't done anything
but asked you a question, you are discracing yourself.
[20:15] leewells2000: Actually I think I'll be launching an
investigation on this issue. We currently have access to India and
most
of the African countries to make arrests now as of the treaty signed in

june.
[20:16] leewells2000: Actually i'll be putting out an APB on you within

the next few hours.
[20:16] leewells2000: Ever been to the Untied States before?
[20:17] leewells2000: You just got a free ticket, in the custody of the

US FBI
[20:17] haggaiwonder: why
[20:18] leewells2000: I've been sniffing (reading) yours and donnas
conversation.
[20:18] haggaiwonder: cuse i have not done anything bad
[20:19] leewells2000: The attempt theof to scam an United States
citizen
is a federal crime, against the FCC regulations, Geniva Conventions,
and
punishable up to 45 years in a military detenion center being you are
most likely not a citizen
[20:20] leewells2000: So you are aware, my occupation or specaility in
the FBI is internet fraud investigations.
[20:21] haggaiwonder: anything you say
[20:21] leewells2000: You don't fool me.
[20:21] leewells2000: Hey, its not me that will be spending 45 years in

Guantamino Bay Cuba.
[20:22] haggaiwonder: how am i folling you
[20:22] haggaiwonder: i am not
[20:22] haggaiwonder: infact
[20:23] haggaiwonder: i am coming to your office
[20:23] haggaiwonder: okay
[20:23] haggaiwonder: i realy want to see you
[20:23] leewells2000: You're darn skippy you are comming to my office.
[20:23] haggaiwonder: i want to know how you are
[20:23] leewells2000: in hand cuffs
[20:23] haggaiwonder: i dont care
[20:24] haggaiwonder: what is your evidence of you calling me a
criminal
[20:24] leewells2000: Its not my job to conjure the evidence, thats the

DA's job, the judge will decide.
[20:24] haggaiwonder: you dont conclude when you dont get total
conclusion.
[20:25] leewells2000: Who said I was concluding anything? I still have

to find out the other victims you have tried to scam.
[20:26] leewells2000: Thats not too hard though, I'm sure once I drum
up
about 10, the US will pay my department more than its fair share to
come
hunt you down =)
[20:27] leewells2000: Yahoo will be getting a subpeana for your
internet
activities on yahoo and the persons you have talked to within a couple
of hours. Currently I'm waiting on the judge to sign the papers.
[20:27] leewells2000: Detective Clark will be handling the
warrant/subpeona issues though.
[20:28] *** "haggaiwonder" signed off at Mon Jul 30 2019 2007.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/28/2007 5:17:49 PM
Boy ya gotta hand it to them, those Nigerians are a crafty lot!

LOL
 nebula22
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/28/2007 5:32:41 PM
Yahoo messenger is thier favorite tool! NEVER put a profile on yahoo personals. If you do you will become a target for every scammer in Nigeria.
 greeneyedhawke
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/28/2007 8:33:29 PM
Just had one contact me. Apparently, he says he got my IM id from POF, which doesn't show it. Then, he told me his id was brucedave44, but the IM showed brucedave55. Then, when I refused to give him any info, he started telling me how he was a man of God, and couldn't understand why I was so curious as to how he'd gotten my id. I blocked and reported him as a scammer.

Looked up his Yahoo! profile. First, he lists his age as 49 and living in the UK, then he says he's 43, living in Denver, Colorado. The picture? Some affeminate looking guy standing next to a limo, which you can see came from some ad or other. Supposedly he's a widower, I guess looking to scam widows. What a jerk.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/28/2007 9:55:32 PM
It's SOOOOO funny. I picture these guys in their grass huts or whatever all looking at this shiny new computer and thinking up these scams, as if they were the only people in the world to do so. I mean someone should maybe send them a blanket letter drop like they did in iraq that says.

"Hey, we are on to you, so stop it"

LOL

Or maybe Nigeria has A LOT of royalty!!! :)
 jewelescent
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/29/2007 2:27:07 PM
Oh puhleeeze. You sound like you came from a grass hut yourself

"I picture these guys in their grass huts or whatever all looking at this shiny new computer and thinking up these scams, as if they were the only people in the world to do so. I mean someone should maybe send them a blanket letter drop like they did in iraq that says."
 sandy46blueyes
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/29/2007 7:48:01 PM
I have come across these guys on yahoo and match.com. If they don't already live in Nigeria there is usually a reason they have to go there. They can also be from various places in the US, UK and I even had a couple from Spain and Italy. As they say if they sound too good to be true they probably are and don't send anyone money.

Sandy:)
 ozzie5354
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/30/2007 8:27:13 AM
I was asked to send them $250 so they could buy a cam....thought they would at least have a Wal-Mart there. If you eventually get one to get on a cam (which they do have) if you atch carefully you can see the person in view is not the person typing. They have been getting better all along getting their scams out. Wish there was a way to completely block any user from that area.
 arieann
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/8/2007 9:53:59 AM
I just got a letter in the mail from a lawyer in africa. He wanted me to contact him through yahoo due to money I am to receive from a long lost relative who recently died. What lawyer goes through yahoo.
 LilFoxFire
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/8/2007 10:06:40 AM

I just got a letter in the mail from a lawyer in africa. He wanted me to contact him through yahoo due to money I am to receive from a long lost relative who recently died. What lawyer goes through yahoo.

A Nigerian lawyer, and ,you'd be surprised how many fall for the BS.....I think I'm safe though I like sending them play money and silly putty. Might send some play dough,too. No pun intended! "HA" !

Just ignore them, they'll go away if ya block em....
 arieann
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/8/2007 2:06:09 PM
Just ignore them,

I dont think so, I added him to my messanger. I plan to make him think he has me conned so I can make him waste his time and make him feel stupid in the end. I love pissing them off. I like the play money idea. Maybe I will color notebook paper to send. Thanks for the good idea.
 mcbobly
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2007 2:20:10 PM
I've gotten a few emails from people on yahoo claiming to live here but live in Ghana. Makes me wonder, just how is a country that is supposed to be so poor able to afford so many computers for the scammers to use. Plus, if these idiots put as much effort in getting a real job or doing something to actually "help" their country as they do trying to scam other people, they'd be a pretty dam wealthy country. They're so stupid they do not realize most people have already heard of most of their scams and won't fall for them. Sadly tho, there are still many that do, unfortunately.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...