Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What does NO BAGGAGE mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Shugo
Msg: 4
What does NO BAGGAGE mean?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Baggage basically means somthing that is slowing you down in a way, it can be used in alot of ways.I think smitten below me used it the right way when decribing no baggage in realtionships.
 abyssdc1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
What does NO BAGGAGE mean?
Posted: 4/9/2005 6:46:20 PM
Someone that has lived on an alterante plane of existence and has had no contact with anyone. Ha, good luck.
 always_striving
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/9/2005 7:32:43 PM
Going along with some of the things mentioned above, I feel it is the reluctance to do things with me which happen to interest me based on her previous experience or some event which has tainted her view. It is not a starting off on a good foot when you are trying to get something going and you are already having to dodge and hurdle around your partners feelings or emotions it is just better to find another partner with similar interests. I want to be accepted and respected for standing my ground.

C
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2005 7:52:11 PM
People that are living in , and living for, the moment.

Most people spend their time living for the future, or in the past.

The former you cannot be assured of having, the latter you cannot change in any way.

Yes, life alters you. We are wiser , and stronger if we react to even those bad things in a positive manner. We are crippled and in chains if we don't.

EIther that, or he plans flying a lot with you , and wants to minimize the extra cost.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2005 6:39:19 AM
It has to be carry on only though....
 ~Ames~
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/20/2005 9:54:04 AM
I have always found myself getting involved with someone that I would consider has "baggage". I guess what I see this as is serious responsibilities that life has presented that person. Something that he/she probably can but definitely should never walk away from.
 seasons in the abyss
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2005 10:17:46 AM
This all depends on who yah ask..........I personally think baggage is some sorta mental/personal issues or whatever, or even the drama queen type stuff. i dont consider kids baggage per se. To me they are more like your carry on luggage on the plane or bus

but thats just me and my definition, so its not the same for everyone.
 Knute
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2005 11:48:45 AM
Here's an example of baggage.

The time was several months after my ex served me with the separation paperwork, and she had moved in with her bf. I met an awesome woman online, and we got talking, went down and met her, and made plans together. I even fell for her kids.

Anyway, the baggage part of this story is that as much as I liked her, my intent was to make my ex jealous and to hurt her the way that she hurt me. When this came out to this woman, that about did in our relationship.

That's baggage, in my mind. I learned from it though. I guess there's the good, the bad and the ugly to any growing that we are forced to do.

Knute
 Char610
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2005 11:58:02 AM
It means that the woman has just come out of the womb. I mean give me a break you haven't ived unless you have backage. It is all in the way you carry the luggage around.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/20/2005 12:50:57 PM
lippy I SOOO totally agree, referring to children as baggage and don't mess your nails up, knee to groin works good. I do feel like smacking someone upside the head when I hear that, and I'm such a gentle soul..I guess that's a hot button for me.
OT Baggage usually means whatever emotional wreckage from a previous marriage that you haven't dealt with yet that is still lingering and causing you to ruin future relationships because of it.
 carribeanking7
Msg: 63
Will you help me un-pack
Posted: 9/27/2005 11:22:10 PM
Now that I'm home, bathed, settled and fed,
All nicely tucked in my warm new bed,
I'd like to open my baggage,
Lest I forget,
There is so much to carry -
So much to regret.

Hmmm...Yes, there it is, right on the top,
Let's unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss,
And there by my perch hides Fear and Shame.
As I look on these things I tried so hard to leave -
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.

I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
But I wasn't good enough - for they didn't want me.
Will you add to my baggage?
Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things -
And take me right back?

Do you have the time to help me unpack?
To put away my baggage, to never repack?
I pray that you do - I'm so tired you see,
But I do come with baggage -
Will you still want me?

~ Author Unknown ~-
 barbee1970
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/30/2009 3:43:53 AM
I think they mean children. I know what I consider baggage is a man with a wife or girlfriend or many girlfriends.
 Commonsens
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/30/2009 7:28:09 AM
Baggage are of two nature: unsolved issues or problems and questions marks that have not yet found a complete answer.

As those issues or problems are not dealt with properly, they are carried with you until completion. The level of negativity of a baggage depend on the issue or problem itself.
For example, you have dealt with a situation and didn't applied the correct solution to it; yes it has been dealt with, but some remains as your conscience is telling you that you could have dealt with this far better.
On the other end: past situations where you are not sure of the reasons WHY or of the IF.
For example on this one: a past relationship where you ask yourself why it happen this way, what where the variables, influence or reasons; for example.

Some baggage have destructive effect and must be dealt with promptly and some simply need strenght of character to replace them in their correct perspective, answered and/or put to rest/voided.

Everyone has baggage of the unsolved issue or problem type; only narcissic people do not have baggage of the unsolved question mark type.
 barbee1970
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/20/2009 11:04:48 PM
To me it means I don't want your wife and kids. Sorry N/A relationships and married men!
 wings on my butt
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/23/2010 6:29:34 AM

It means your are 16 years old.
 abelian
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/23/2010 6:57:04 AM
I really have to wonder when I read that statement just what they really mean.

What I would mean by that is don't bother my unless you're exes and previous sexual partners are no longer any part of your life and you don't need me to fix you.

anybody that says no bagagge...i would run ...shows an insensitive person..if a woman does not have children...there are issues...everybody has something they are dealing with...i could understand no drama...no family love triangle...who do you know that has a perfect life? nobody.

Then call me insensitive. Perhaps no one has a perfect life, but there are people who don't let the imperfections ruin the life they have left.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 92
Posted: 12/23/2010 7:36:17 AM
Actually (to me) no baggage means you go through life
not dragging crap with you. You take care of your business,
pack it up and leave it where it belongs. Some people go into
relationships carrying more luggage than a spinster on a six
month cruise. I (as well as many others) choose not to do that.

and PS...children are not baggage...at least not in my world, so
sorry if they are in yours.

So I guess I'm insensitive as well. I don't even have a set of
matching luggage...mostly I travel with a back pack.
 abelian
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/24/2010 5:12:46 AM

and PS...children are not baggage...at least not in my world, so sorry if they are in yours.

Kids aren't baggage, per se, but many people behave in a way that turns their kids into baggage.
 arwen52
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2010 7:16:21 PM
"No baggage" is one of those useless things that people put in their profiles, along with "no drama, no cheaters, no liars, no gold diggers," etc., etc., etc. It's primary purpose is to warn us that the person stating it probably *does* have baggage.

Dated guys with kids and found I was always second to their kids

I'd be wary of any parent who *didn't* put their children first. After all, their first responsibility is to their children. People without children often have a difficult time accepting this. If they can't, they should not date people with kids.

I dated a guy for awhile who, during the course of some conversation, told me that when his daughter was young, he often dumped her at her grandmother's while he spent time with whatever woman he was dating at the time. I was alarmed that he would do such a thing and wasn't surprised when he turned out to be a self-centered, shallow, insensitive jerk.

peppermint petunias
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/25/2010 4:04:55 AM

It means all their exs have had some sort of crap/drama going on.

They usually are nut job magnets with issues of their own.

If they are turned on by someone..they have put up with it because of " that wild crazy sex".

I hear "crazy sex" will make you stewpit .

To some it means debt..drugs..kids..priorities other than a relationship.

I don't read past that.......means they are used to it IMO.

Like no cheaters ect...........
 Double Cabin
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2010 7:01:15 AM
I look at the baggage issue as the simple choice we all have of whehter to be a victim or a survivor. No matter what anyone ever does to us we all have the ability to captain our own ship and take responsibility for our own failings and not allow the failings of others to put holes in our sails.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/27/2010 2:46:00 PM

note men are looking for women with no baggage.

1. Children are not baggage. If they were, flying would be a lot cheaper.

2. A woman can have past negative experiences. It defines her as a person. HOWEVER, if you take her to dinner, and she spends the entire night complaining about how her ex (and by extension, all men) are pigs and cheaters, no thanks. I'd rather chew my own arm off to escape rather than sit through one of those lectures again.
 karma1160
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/27/2010 10:28:50 PM
Who are these people with no baggage, where do they exist?
#1. kids are not baggage their gifts from God. (ps. I am not going to defend this statement)
That being said, everyone has baggage wow are you kidding.
What you choose to do with your baggage is up to you.
I personally think that if you have baggage, you should try to put it to rest, resolve some issues and let it go, before you get into a new relationship.
In the big picture we are the cumulation of all our experiences, and this is what helps us develop into compassionate people.

I do not think sharing time with someone new is the time to bring up baggage!
It is their time, If you are looking to find someone that is a good match for you, then you are going to need to give them some attention. Discussing the past is wasting time, that you could be using on sharing a connection with the person you are with.
 arwen52
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 1:21:41 PM
"No baggage" is a nice way of asking that ill feelings concerning life/past relationships/etc. not be carried-on into the next relationship. Hoarding means there is no room to grow.

Well put. Thanks.

If you are still carrying resentments from past experiences and allowing them to interfere with your current relationships, that's baggage. It may not even be from past romances. It could be your family. Your mom had a bad temper so any time a woman expresses the least bit of anger you freak out. Your dad was overly strict so whenever anyone makes the smallest demands, you rebel immediately. That's baggage. Your ex cheated on you so you are constantly worried the person you're currently dating is going to do the same thing. You feel like you got cheated in your divorce settlement and that resentment still leaves you bitter and angry. That's baggage.

Unfortunately, stating "no baggage" in a profile is, in my opinion, about as useless as stating "no liars, cheaters, or gold-diggers." It's a sign to me that the person probably is still carrying their *own* baggage.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 11:30:30 PM
I actually have no "traditional" baggage whatsoever: no kids, no communication at all with any exes (except on rare occasion with the one with whom I actually have a ton of common friends with), no pets, no past financial disasters, no criminal history, no drug or alcohol problems, no unusual attachment to family members -- pretty much absolutely nothing.

And that fact in-and-of-itself appears to have become "baggage," that I could it make it to this age in life with none of that stuff. Usually leads to a lot of suspicions and questions. Probably called for, too. "What's wrong with this guy that he could live this long and not get involved in any of that stuff?"

Yeah... what is wrong with him?

Heck, forget dating for a second: I just got a new boss and in our first meeting this extremely traditional guy asked me a string of questions in a row about kids, wives, family members, hobbies, etc., and I could see him getting more and more stumped by each of my answers (or more like, lack of) and it soon turned into just a really uncomfortable conversation. Haven't been on a date in a long while, but I'm pretty sure that's how it would go, too...
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What does NO BAGGAGE mean?