Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the per      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TonyStarks
Msg: 15
First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
smack fire out ya asses, Yall been hit witha genitic ugly stick, now, then, and forever
 browneyedstallion
Msg: 19
First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 1/28/2007 8:20:29 PM
How many people (on this site or others), have talked with someone online, seen their photos and found them very attractive/to their liking, then met them in person and the person looks nothing like their photo(s), or the pic was of them 50 pounds and 10 years ago (not to be rude, but I went through this...)?

I'm new to online dating and have yet to meet anyone in person, but I think it's always a mistake to get expectations from someones photo. Some people photograph better than they look in person and some people aren't very photogenic. There's obviously a lot of deception with some of the pics that people post. A pic isn't going to show every flaw. Some post pics that were taken years ago when they had more hair and were in better shape. Some post stock photo's of other people. Some post pics of well known Internet models that most of us have seen before on other websites. Who are they trying to kid??? LMAO! Why people do this is beyond me! They must not have any intentions of meeting anyone, because the moment of truth will come if they ever do.

Some post one pic of themselves and one of another person who obviously looks nothing like them, but for some reason they seem to think they do. The pics that really throw things for a loop other than the fake pics are the glamour shots. I mean let's face it, no one is going to look as good in person as they do in those. I think it's better just to post some ordinary no frills pics that way you'll look better in person.
 squirterforyou
Msg: 21
First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 1/28/2007 8:27:08 PM
Well I try to update my photo once every few weeks, I am pretty open about my size and age and I STILL don't think anyone looks exactly like their picture.

Why lie about the size of my as* when I can't exactly hide it???

I had one recently send me a photo and disclose its 15 years old. What good is that to me today????? I was married 15 years ago, and it seems I have lived two lifetimes since that. It has little bearing on today, nor do I look remotely like the woman I was then.

I have a cam, will go on so I can "prove" myself.... then it quickly degrades to requests for services over the cam. But still better to be honest than have someone feel they wasted time on something sight unseen.
 aliven28
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/29/2007 6:36:51 AM
Been there done that! Went to meet a guy and it turned out he had to come up to me cause the picture on here was not him! I was so shocked that people would do this but if u want to meet people u need to be straight up with who u are and what ur about! I dont judge by looks but its nice to get a idea on who i'm meeting!
 aliven28
Msg: 35
When pictures in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 1/29/2007 8:01:32 AM
^^^^ if they lie in there profile i dont think there gonna post it in here. Who knows maybe the fake profile is getting them somewhere LOL!
 Fun_Jess
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/30/2007 2:22:34 PM
wow I never want to meet anyone from a datnig site anymore. I was just getting gutsy enough to maybe do it, but I don't think I can now.
 squirterforyou
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/30/2007 8:57:34 PM
I agree with you spauls... for both men and women fibbing with weight or height.

Both of mine are accurate, I am a BBW, no way I want to hide it or lie...... and I am short. So many skip over that part of the profile and say I look smaller in the picture. In all fairness my butt matches my boobs, so I am rounded all over. I state this and also make sure I address it in the first reply to any interested POF memebers. Then there is less confusion.

Every day I look different.... my hair could be straight, curled, up, braided..... I ask the person I am meeting their preference since I have both the straight and curled pics on my profile.

Just some common sense would be wise. Why bother to hide what you are and then actually meet in person????
 dalek1967
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2007 10:21:21 AM
Maybe I am unique but I keep my profile honest. My pic is not to old, a few months maybe, and my description is honest too. I have met ladies several times and they get what they expected because I ask them just that. I even put my negative in mine. No need hiding it anyway. To me that would be lying by ommission. I'm sure it runs a lot of ladies off but hey, they are not looking for me anyway.

I did met one that was older than her pic but she did tell me the pic was old. I could tell it was her though and enjoyed making a new friend. It just didn't work out.

I guess I have never been took on this one. How would I react, well, I would likely feel like I have been lied too unless I was told the pic was old or something. You can ask my soon to be ex what happens when you lie to me. For me, trust is very important. It holds the rest together.

aliven28
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:40:16 AM
went to the awesome pof party last night and noticed that alot of people do not look like there profile pics! my whole thing is though unless it was drastic change u really cant judge someone on looks alone!
 JazzyGurl
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:00:00 AM
my pictures are all recent... but i also only tend to take pics when i go out, get prettied up, do different poses, etc... so I don't always look exactly like my pictures, especially if its more layed back and casual but... i can, cause it's me... in any case I don't think anyone would find me unrecognizable if they only base it on my pics... but honestly, i tend to only put up the ones I feel I look okay in... the ones I prefer... not to give an unfair view but simply becuase I'm more comfortable with people seeing good pictures, I'm photogenic but i can also take bad ones lol! I don't post those
I don't think that's bad though... they are all still me... this one from a few days ago
 DAVE632
Msg: 79
view profile
History
First date: picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:38:21 PM
A lot of people won't respond unless the person sending the msg includes a photo. It may be fickle BUT the fact is we are all attracted to different types. Some people like BIG and others like skinny. I'm looking for a compatible age so why would I even look at 25 yr olds? I see a photo and guess 35 or 37 and the posted age sez they're 49. The opposite of that is a photo that looks like she's late 50's and she states she's 39. HUH??? WHY bother meeting somebody if there isn't even the slightest possibility of an attraction based just on ones prefs, right? Why post pics or state your age when it simply does NOT match your profile age.

I've met several women off this site. Over 50% have lied about their age/weight and their posted photos have obviously been from 15 or 20 years ago. Average seems to mean just shy of morbidly obese for some. Others post several photos that start off around their high school graduation shot and end sometime in their late 40's or 50's. With some the progression just gets better and better with age and sadly for others it doesn't. I just think it is totally dishonest not to mention dumb and insulting to portray yourself - both written and through some ancient photo - as one person and end up being somebody else. Don't you think the person you're meeting is going to notice?

To be fair I've also met several very nice ladies whose photos didn't do them justice either. No sparks yet but then sometimes we forget that it may not produce sparks that first few times meeting. There may just be a smoldering interest and given time the flames appear. Like one guy above stated though. If you LIE from the start don't expect any follow up. From my standpoint it can oly get worse from there so my advice is bail immediately. Be polite but ... Go. Go NOW!!
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/11/2007 9:26:00 AM
this aint exactly rocket surgery...of course a female is going to post her best pics...duh...but if you do meet someone from the site face to face they should bear some semblance to their profile pics...(and most do)...any discrepancies...outside of blatantly obvious ones...should be overlooked...
i would suggest going to a pof function such as a dance or something and meet some of the ppl in person...i dont photograph well so obviously i posted what seemed to me my most flattering pics...i have been told that i do look pretty much like my thumbnail pic...
for some ppl the camera adds pounds...and years...no big deal...
for me...what a person is like on the inside is far more important than how they look anyway...i know a lot of really evil good looking women and a lot of very nice "plain janes"...
just my 2 cents worth...
 webbandit
Msg: 101
Posted: 3/13/2007 7:27:50 AM
Julie is absolutely right! Just get a cam and there will be no disappointments!
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2007 6:45:32 PM
I've meet a few- and sorry to say- all have been a disappointment to say the least- one girl I had web cam talks with- for three months- when I met her I hardly recognized her- she said sorry but her cam makes her look thin- still had a good time and she was nice but I felt lied too so we left it at that.
So beware and don't get your hopes up until you meet. Even web cams are not perfect.

Why deceive- you'll only disappoint someone and yourself in the end
 lilmisssunshine547
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2011 2:51:10 PM
I took my little sister to meet a guy she had been talking to on myspace(can ya tell this was awhile ago). The pic she showed me was of a nice looking guy, fit, about 25ish. When I pulled up to the car which he said he was in, I looked in the seat to see a man in his early to mid 30, big round face and quite overweight. I was ready to pull away but my sister said she wanted to give him a chance. He told her was in a coma for 5 years and had just woken up looking like that. He also turned out to be a crazy stalker as well. Call our house and swear at her because she had her guy friend over(one who she had been friends with since Kindergarden) and threaten to kill anyone who tried to take her away from him. Yet they only went on one date.
 TopGun4U79
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2011 3:15:38 PM
I met someone off another dating site. She was great looking, but all her pics were kinda serious w/o her smiling.

Long story short she had vampire fangs...no joke. When walking her to the car after the date I was saying my hail mary's she wouldnt bite me or atleast go for a kiss.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 149
When pictures in the profile look nothing like the person in person.
Posted: 11/16/2011 1:38:24 PM
I can understand if they dont look exactly like the pic, but blatant fakery- like old pix, or photoshopped pix would make me feel...manipulatedthis is why 1st meet should be coffee
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 154
Posted: 11/17/2011 3:51:38 PM
every computer comes with a web cam from the manufacturer, so you know they don't want to show their face!

Dang, so dinner tomorrow is out? (Unless I go out and buy a new comp or a webcam for this older one)

You may not realize yet that the few good guys can be turned off by having to jump through many hoops set up to attempt to "prove" their worthiness/identity..
Especially when they are likely very ambivalent to begin with..

So then what are ya left with?
Those common players that know they have to try very hard to bamboozle /sneak their way a bit closer to your heart.. and other parts..
It's kind of a test maybe like jousting for a princess.. The true prince may not bother because he sees the power-plays coming afterwards..
 ricanfreaknphenom
Msg: 155
Posted: 11/18/2011 8:52:44 AM
I think thats why skype was invented
you dont want any surprises
 _allen_
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2011 6:08:26 PM
Every pic featured on my profile are recent, take via my phone or webcam.

These days, there is little excuse for people not have current photos featured on their profiles as most people I see tote around a modern mobile phone with camera.

I find it suspicious when I see users featuring Polaroid-esk photos from 2009 (or what have you). A lot of those photos are timed stamped. (eek!)

I'm not one to ask someone for a more recent photo. If I want to see them, I'll just ask her out for a "meet n greet". No harm in asking a woman out for 20 or so minutes. You may be surprised in what develops during the date.

On another note, I'm not very photogenic and on many occasions have been told I look much better in person. So, I usually take user photos with a grain of salt in knowing that a lot of use will look more attractive in person than some pic posted on their profile. In addition, a "meet n greet" will also give me a glimpse into a person's personality, which could make her all the more attractive.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 162
Posted: 11/19/2011 8:46:16 AM
That never happened to me, Some I had no connection with, they weren't ugly but no connection there.
I do hear that a lot from men tho..How the women looked nothing like their picture.
 ButlerButler
Msg: 164
Posted: 11/19/2011 10:00:11 AM
I think such behavior is contemptible. I've heard so many such stories I'm very wary when I look at the pictures. My own pictures are recent and real. I honestly can't understand why someone would post great pictures of someone else, then show up looking 10 years older and 80 pounds heavier. I mean, do you LIKE to see the looks of disappointment and anger on people's faces?? If I went to meet someone and they had clearly lied on their pictures I'd turn around and walk out. They're clearly liars and don't care that you're going to realize it. That means you can't trust anything they say about anything.
 Packagejust4u
Msg: 166
Posted: 5/1/2013 7:31:33 PM
Anyone know the doc you speak of from PA...Brashute? Wow a serious game player....serious problems! Called me every day, sometimes 2...texted all the time. Called me his Mrs., promises of getting married....then poof, he fell off the face of the earth. Well not really, he was still hitting the dating site but just dropped me like a hot potato with no reason.
If anyone has any info. would be interested to hear. Thanks!
 methodist77
Msg: 167
Posted: 5/2/2013 7:45:58 AM
People likely lie because of the responses here. The fact that their looks are not acceptable to people. I think the energy lying would be better spent exercising and working on the areas that they are obviously self concious about. But clearly, its easy to see why people do this. All you have to do is read this forum and the plethora of others here on POF.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2013 10:48:54 PM
(op)

One story - I was meeting a girl for the first time. A public place. I got there a little early, and just sat around, making myself visible. More and more time passed, until I knew that it was way past when we were supposed to meet. I had already gotten up a couple of times and just casually walked around to see if she was there, but didn't see her. So I got up one last time to walk around. A girl came up to me, and asked "weren't you ever going to say hi?"

I immediately knew that this was someone that had been there for a while, because she was a woman by herself, so of course I'd looked at her a couple of times to see if it was her. This woman did not just look very different from her pics, like she'd aged or lost weight, but she looked like a completely different person. It sounds contradictory to say, but I know it was her, I could tell, but only after really looking...otherwise, she literally looked like a different person, not just a typical matter of her pics not being up to date. The difference was that drastic.

Now, some people can look a little different because of hair color or style, or age, and the real reason that a lot of folks want a current pic is because they're concerned with attractiveness of the sort that you can tell from the pics before personally seeing them, and they want to know if you're really 20 years older than your pics or not. Otherwise, when if comes to just recognizing someone, that shouldn't be too hard, typically at least. I myself have the experience of people immediately knowing who I am when they haven't seen me for 20 years or from a pic that's kind of old. But this was a weird experience in that it almost made me mad. "Wasn't I ever going to say hi?"?! Geez, I walked by her, within inches, about 4 times, and I would've bet money that it wasn't her. Did she really not realize that about herself, or her pics, or was going to tell me or account for that?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > First date: when the picture in the profile look nothing like the person in person.