Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Sculpture      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 richel
Msg: 1
SculpturePage 1 of 1    
Hello,

Michelangelo carved the David and it became the symbol of Florence.

If you were given the chance to create the symbol for your city/town/state, what would it be and why?

Cheers, Richard.
 FOUNDnLOST
Msg: 2
Sculpture
Posted: 1/30/2007 1:33:34 PM
my home towns a pretty huge metal/punk rock town...at least it ws growing up...we have a bridge in the town thats fairly high up...were called the rose city and refer to the metal scene as Rose City Hardcore...RCHC a buddy of mine climbed up to the top hung upside town and painted RCHC on the top of the bridge....im not all about graffiti or vandalism but as a teen we thougt that was awesome. and because it really was crazy high to be hangin upside down he got credit...not a scupture...but it was cool at the time. lol
 FOUNDnLOST
Msg: 3
Sculpture
Posted: 1/30/2007 7:10:47 PM
okay i checked up on this thread man, and i kind of feel bad for being the only one that posted something and i wasnt even serious about it.

so here goes. theres two approches i want to take. something the tourists well see and do "oh welland tahts pretty theyre not so bad.

in that case id probably cant think of anything better then what our town already has. aside from being the rose city its also know for its canal. alot of people put alot of effort into the welland canal and we have a really nice monument depicting people in brass or bronze or something of taht nature in thier role at the building of the canal. it was a major shipping link in its day and was quite a feat. so it probably says thats the best for our town in a positive light.

i perfer the realism approach.

the canal died off and is no longer used for major shipping. the town itself lost all major employment and began to sink. there was a tire place and a steel plant and they all closed down. leaving it pretty decrepit (sp?) and shi.tty. when you live there you never really want to live there. perhaps a giant flat tire made of hardened coal and call center represntative made of garbage....cause thats all i remember of the town.

(not the people btw...just the town...i miss you rose city...you stinky stinky rose you)

sorry if that wasnt much better then my first post...but at least i tried
 heARTeacher
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Sculpture
Posted: 7/19/2007 11:56:47 AM
Our town is called "The Pearl of the Mississippi" because historically it was based on the pearl button industry and lumber. About 2 years ago Eric Blume was commissioned to do a sculpture. It's a man in a clamming boat with a clam fork and shells below his feet. It's realistic, representing a point of community pride. He's a very personable artist as well with solid ethics and he shared himself with students and faculty. The sculpture is well done, traditionally styled and well appreciated in the community, so I don't think I'd try to design a new one. It works.
 Artz
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Sculpture
Posted: 7/20/2007 12:45:33 PM
Many city's and towns are doing just that. Dallas has an on going project that when completed will be the largest public work work in the Country. It depicts a Cattle Drive. With Cowboys Longhorns and a ChucK Wagon.
Of course St Louise has it's Arch. Chicago Has it's Picasso
believe there is another project in Omaha that will be about 2 city blocks long of bronze Wagon Train Moving West.

I would love to get a commission to do a Monumental life like Bronze pile of Bull ....... To be placed in prominent spot in Washington DC. Is there really any need to explain why?
 heARTeacher
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Sculpture
Posted: 7/20/2007 2:54:49 PM
OK, Bronze pile of Bull **** for Washington...........you made me fall off my wheeled chair with laughter! How big would it be and who would you dedicate it to? Artz, you be de funny guy! Thanks.
 Artz
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Sculpture
Posted: 7/20/2007 4:02:02 PM
Oh it would be Big I mean really, Really Really Big! I'm thinking about the size of a med size home. about 2500sq foot. Maybe have a theater in the middle. you could enter and here all the great historic BS speeches. Listen as they trip over their own tongues trying to cover up last weeks BS speech. It might be the best comedy show in town!
As for dedications well if maybe inscribe every name of every politician that has ever gone to Washington. Of course we would have plenty of room for future politicos. Maybe small desk size replicas could be handed out every year to the Biggest BS-Er's in either Party. One Republican BS-er and One Democratic BS-er.
A guy has to have his dreams doesn't he?
 A Cinnamon Girl
Msg: 8
Sculpture
Posted: 7/22/2007 9:34:43 AM
I'm from Toronto and it is a massive blend of sports, art, cultures, religions and people. Although not a cultural melting pot, it is a unity of the world's people and there are many ecclectic sections and neighbourhoods, all over Toronto. Because of that, we have some of the best restaurants you can imagine. It is like taking a vacation all over the world to EAT!! I think a gigantic vertical plate, knife and fork, would make quite a statement. LOL..... Seriously, I have to think hard on this one to imagine something fitting for so many amazing nationalities to personify Toronto.
 heARTeacher
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Sculpture
Posted: 7/25/2007 9:38:50 AM
Artz, I love the way your mind works. I have had occasion to look for gifts for exchange programs and it's pretty tough to find one that was made in the US. I think paperweights of your BS Museum would be a hoot!
Cinnamon Girl, You just brought up the tour my 21 year old son wants to do...eat his way around the world. I want one that takes you to galleries and museums of other countries. Maybe that should be a combined trip?
 Artz
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Sculpture
Posted: 7/27/2007 8:45:00 AM
I have been a director of an art Gallery for a number of years. in that capacity I have met some excellent Artist. One that comes to mind is a Sculptor with a very unusual take on things. One of his public works pieces was simply a bronze of two life size men pointing and looking up. Morris has a video tape of all the people who stop and also look up. How funny that we take ques from inanimate bronze men.
 Morphism3
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Sculpture
Posted: 2/12/2012 7:05:44 PM
I'm a wood sculptor
 Vortices
Msg: 12
Sculpture
Posted: 2/17/2012 11:32:14 AM
Have a look at this guys work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-66Su3yN9io
 allthingsrosie
Msg: 13
Sculpture
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:09:52 AM
grindling gibbons was pure genious.i would love to see his work in the flesh,so tactile.sadly went out of fashion in his own lifetime.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Sculpture