Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Anyone believe in Multi-Universe?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2findU
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Anyone believe in Multi-Universe?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
They sure make use of parallel universes in Sci-Fi. Who knows, maybbe they exist but you would never be able to go from one to another. Leave it for Sci-Fi.
 ruckus123
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Anyone believe in Multi-Universe?
Posted: 2/2/2007 7:54:43 PM
Are you talking about String Theory?

I don't believe string theory.
 arri
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/2/2007 9:23:00 PM
as it was explained, a multi-universe is where whenever you make a decision, another universe is split and you in the second universe will choose the choice you don't make in this universe

That was some one's layman description of a an assumption that the universe is dynamic on a quantum level in order to mathematically explain some events. Then it got picked up by the nerds and made its way to the sci-fi.
 Serendipityone
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/3/2007 6:45:49 AM

Again, none of this has any basis in science, the universe doesn't "wish". There are a great many web resourses on science, if you are curious, you should check them out

- "junk-science"/pseudo-science" resources like the work of this book's author are ID/Creationism based, theology based, and thinly veiled as based on reality and facts, but they are nothing to do with science.

The irony of all this is, that science (hardcore) seems to be just has arrogant as a religion. Religion and science in their arrogance both love to pull out that word pseudo-science when it goes beyond their rigid forms of thinking. Science did not create the universe. Science is a man made form of trying to understand it. Therefore, it is extremely arrogant and wrong to say it can not be discussed outside of the context of pure science. There are civilizations that have been around for thousands of years who view the universe as spiritual forms of energy as well as being star systems, globs of matter, fire balls, etc.
 Serendipityone
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/3/2007 8:50:31 AM
It's also a work of fiction written by a proponant of religious based pseudo-science.

I believe the OP has started her thread under the heading science/philosophy?

I simply don’t wish to see this thread get hijacked again by a purely scientific mind set. I don’t think the OP wishes to see her thoughts get shut down so quickly.

I have already seen the consequences of disagreeing with moderators. This will be my last post in this thread.
 Serendipityone
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:23:47 AM
Definition of Philosophy as defined by Wikipedia

Philosophy concerns itself with what is the best way to live (ethics), what sorts of things really exist and what are their true natures (metaphysics), what is to count as genuine knowledge (epistemology), and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic). [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

Definition of Metaphysics as defined by Wikipedia

Metaphysics ( Greek: μετά (meta) = "after", φυσικά (phisiká) = "those on nature", derived from the arrangement of Aristotle's works in antiquity[1]) is the branch of philosophy concerned with explaining the nature of the world. It is the study of being or reality.[2] It addresses questions such as: What is the nature of reality? Is there a God? What is humankind's place in the universe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics

I googled the OP’s book and although it does connect itself with content from the Bible, I do not see a definite link to any religion in particular. This topic is too broad minded to be posted in a religious or science thread. Philosophy is right on target. Since the current structure is science/philosophy, it seems to be in the best place. IMO an avenue for the philosophical thinker needs to be aloud to be present when started threads under this heading unless POF wishes to change the format and divide these two headings, one for Science and one for Philosophy. If it’s possible to vote on the subject, I vote to divide them.
 Pyro74
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:29:48 PM
Multiple universe, parallel universe, different dimensions, who knows? Reminds me of an older sci-fi movie called "Event Horizon." Touches on a little bit of science, a little bit of religion, and is scary as hell. You should check it out.
 giggleparts
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/6/2007 9:45:51 PM
I always thought that the concept of dark matter gave some credence to the concept of alternate universes/existences.

It is plausible to speculate/assume that while two objects can't occupy the same physical space (as in place/time) if they are indeed confined to the same 'rules' and 'laws' as every other physical object within a given system. However, the only reason why something occupies a space and time, is because it has mass (this is not counting things such as non corporeal existences). Even air has physical presence, even though we can't generally see it.

We now know that frequency is key in how we exist, interact, and perceive in the world around us.

Literally, the same mass... the same molecule, can exist in multiple instances, at the same time, because time, in an abstract sense, stretches on forever.

The frequency is indeed the key... It is the unique identifier which allows for multiple instances of the same molecule to exist simultaneously - as relative as that may be - and indeed is a good model for how such potentialities can exist or be valid.
 giggleparts
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/7/2007 12:09:22 PM
Actually, that sounds more akin to those who said the Sun revolves around the Earth and that the Earth was the center of the universe...

While I honor the fact you have your own opinion, I don't think it has any more likelihood to be true than anything else people are saying.

In fact, it would seem to me to be less likely... But, I sort of like the trash bin... you can find some interesting things in there...

Not only that, but what we once thought immutable truth has been found to be mutable fallacy, in a large number of subjects.

Strickly speaking there might only be one actual universe, but it could have many parts... or perhaps, many instances of itself.

Hiding yourself behind Occam's razor is self-limiting (obviously) and should be handled with much care. That way of approaching a problem is sometimes sound and sometimes not.
 crazyindian69
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2007 9:51:28 PM
The multi-verse is real

Ghosts are real

I have no recourse except faith
 gaunilo
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/14/2007 4:30:53 PM

How could something be true for particles but not true for a collection of particles (ie humans)?

I'd have to do some research for the real answers, but I recall this was one of the big arguments against some of the conclusions made in "What the 'bleep' do we know?"

There is a certain amount of probability and uncertainty at the quantum level, but you can't extrapolate that to the macro.

I hesitate to say that the same rules don't apply at the quantum vs. macro level, because they do... and we just haven't figured them out yet (that's what string theory and the struggle to develop a grand unified theory are all about). But for practical purposes given what we know... I think it's safe to work under the premise that the rules are different.
 aremeself
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2010 1:37:14 AM
you would pretty much have to, if you think this one is pretty cool.

meaning, way better than a piece of crap universe, appearing in in one fluky shot, don't you think?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/1/2010 6:53:41 PM
Belief is irrelevant. It's about what you have evidence for.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Anyone believe in Multi-Universe?