Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AStableWoman
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.Page 1 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
As this is the only dating site I use, I have no idea how to answer your question but did want to say that I have had a "questionable" contact. A friend of mine that also uses this site has as well. We both are educated people and know better than to go along with anything that is requested. But should I have anything substantial, I would be glad to pass it along to you if you wish.

AStableWoman
Paid Dating Sites Have More Nigerian or Russian Scams
Plentyoffish Has More Nigerian or Russian Scams
Never used a paid site
 gerrymac
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:56:44 AM
Errrr....I can't answer the poll.

I've used a paid dating site.
I use this site.
I've never experienced "scams" such as those described on either.

No option on the poll will let me respond this way.
 justjohn616
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:59:51 AM
I have run into several scams out of africa.

The best ones are the ones that claim to be american that are working in the other countries, usually something where they had one or both parents die and the inherited a family business. They claim to be from a nearby major city, i have run in to some that say they are from Detroit or Chicago.

After some friendly banter for a few weeks, something happens, there hotel room is robbed, etc. They then ask for $$$ to be sent to the via western union and they assure me that they will more than pay me back when they return to the US.

I think it is fun to play the game with them now, to see how long it takes before they ask for the $$ then tell them it is on the way.

I can't imagine people fall for this stuff all the time, why not save yourself some heart ache, if you want I can give you my pay pal account number and you can just send the money to me.
 teddie1212
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:00:24 AM
yes i do especially on (tagged !!)
 Thatguy67
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:08:01 AM
So far, I haven't seen any scams on POF. I'll certainly let you know if I encounter them.
 2findU
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 12:12:28 PM
I have got some of them from Yahoo and another free one called Active Atractions. They always have nothing filled out in their profiles. Of course I just ignore them. I tell them I only want someone who is local anyway. But I have recieved the them on e-mail addresses that areen't even connected with dating sites. I just get them like Spam. The last one was one of those Russian one. I exchanged a few letters. She gives me a whole longe story. I send back maybe two sentences. When she tells me where to send the money I tell her I'm not goind to fall for her very obvious scam and I don't here from her anymore. I haven't recieved either the Nigerian or the Russian scam lateley. I have recieved a few foriegn lottery scams recently. I ask them how I can win a lottery that I never bought a ticket for.
 livelifelove
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/3/2007 12:20:28 PM
Good for you, I would do the same. I guess it pays something to have to get them back.
Good luck
 alby_64
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/3/2007 12:24:33 PM
I have been approached by these scammers and the best thing to do when you come across anyone asking for money or offering to put money in your account is to play along and send them this message" I was born at night, but not last night" I have never come across that problem on Plentyoffish this site seems to screen them out successfully which is great. I seen a TV special on this Nigerian, Russian bride scam and they actually have a huge setup just to see how many people they can scam every day. They start with stories of how there father was killed and is some Cocoa merchant blah, blah, blah, and they want you to give them your account number so they can send you millions of this so called cash they have...Come on people if anyone asks you for money on these sites be very leary and suspicious unless you know them personally.
 sandinmy shoes
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/3/2007 12:31:58 PM
I am pleasantly surprised myself that I havent been approached by the Nigerian/Russian scams on this site. Keep up the good work. Its very refreshing!:-)
 Fishing Again 1
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 12:50:55 PM
Have never had a problem with scams on Plenty of Fish. But when I did use a paid site there was always a problem. The Nigerians only gold is to get into Canada or the States and they always seem to think that people who live in our contries all seem to own gold mines. They will never take NO for an answer and the only way to get away from it is to cease corrosponding. For what it is worth also it is not a good idea to give out your home emails because then the problems really start. Have a wonderful weekend all.......

Cheers............Gord
 polaryogi
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:16:25 PM
The first day I arrived at LAVLIFE I was greeted by some Russian girl who was ready to travel to the ends of the earth to be with me. So, for fun I played the game for about a week. Of course she was a Neurosurgeon, why not? At least the pics were sexy and cute. Well, after about a week the need for money to travel to my location so we could be together forever was requested. When I responded with, "later, we need to get to know one another first" the
e-mails immediately stopped. PLENTYOFFISH has no such trash, what is on the site is authentic. Go POF team!

LOA
 fun_42
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:26:23 PM
i'm just amazed at how many of you have even for a minute fallen for any of these scams and some even sent money? people are you all so gullible or desperate? even if u didnt, how can u even think u're in love with people you havent met? be cautious please
 robert77087
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:36:52 PM
I just cancelled my membership on True because of the Nigerian scammers. I emailed True several times about the problem but no reply. One woman I was chatting on Plenty did suddenly disappear along with her profile. What's with that?

Robert
 Manseekscompanion
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:47:17 PM
I have been on a number of sites, and Plenty of Fish has the best record so far with the least scammers, if any at all... 3 Loves has been the worst I have seen, and they have just made it a little harder for the scammers, but before they tightened up, it was like over 50% of contacts were scammers!
 sparke123
Msg: 101
Posted: 2/3/2007 1:50:49 PM
hello. yes i had it happen to me other dating site but i never send money to9 then. i was talking to this guy from aferciaand told me he i9s form my copuntry and no he is not from here, then the glal of him to ask me to help eo i told him this iget the police in volded and told him he is conartist and he did not like it at all,. hehheeand i think i finlely go0t rid of him , but i do like plentyoffish.com none of thoses type on here wich make it nice to.
 cautiously_optimistic
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 2:18:38 PM
I'm constantly bombarded by these scammers, fortunately for me I'm very wise to them. I can't recall ever being contacted by any of them on here, so kudos to the Admin! Now Yahoo on the other hand... I wonder if there's any way I can sue them! Yes, they suck my money in, and I get multitudes of mail or IMs from these bottom-feeders in return.

Keep up the good work POF!
 eaglej73
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/3/2007 2:19:57 PM
I believe the scams are on the paid sites.I talk to a russian woman for over a year before she
(it or who ever ) sent me the wrong picture of someone else.And they kept on talking about sending money to them.
That has never happen to me on here.
 sixtyseries
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/3/2007 2:36:28 PM
I've seen a few scam letters, can't remember where. Certainly wasn't here.
The biggest Russian scam I know of was my Russian speaking Ukrainian ex!
 Hunter24
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 2:37:48 PM
The paid dating sites are the worst. I have cancelled subscriptions to a couple of sites because of it.
MATE1 is the worst
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/3/2007 2:39:56 PM
During the 18 months I paid for at match.com, I encountered between 15-20 of these scammers. I've never encountered any of those here on PoF, but I have noted several prostitutes here and never noted of them at match.
 cotter
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 2:43:12 PM
Oh yes ... without a doubt there are more scams on paid dating sites then here. And I might add, it's not necessarily the Nigerians and Russians ... a lot of Asians and Southeast Asians are involved.

I have a friend (male older gentleman) who has now been propositioned by 8 different women ... "working girls" here on POF and he has only been on here since around October 2006. All pretty much quite a bit younger than he is ... all have the same sort of "come on" as well (I've seen the emails).

They flatter him with several emails and he writes back telling them that he's really not interested ... they write back encouraging him to visit them for a weekend and they will show him a "good time". Others have proposed that he pay for them to visit for a weekend and they will show him a "good time". Either way ... he is promised a "good time".

One lady went so far as to say that she expects "gifts" as well.

I can't see that he can report them ... as then they would just maintain that it's all in his interpretation ... right"

I have been contacted by young black men (in their 20's & 30's) who tell me how attracted they are to me ... but their English is awful and one already knows by that ... that there is something foul going on. I can't say for sure they are Nigerians because that is not what is on their account ... it's usually England or some Scandanavian country.
 Ron9
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/3/2007 3:28:18 PM
Not here that I recall but ... I get more than my share of scam attempts.

I am now convinced that when they enroll at Scammer University and take that first class “Scamming for Fun and Profit 101” - the very first thing they learn is ........ go right for the geezers.

The stOOpid chits should realize the older you get - the more experience you have with people trying to rip you off.
 indianasnow
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/3/2007 3:34:06 PM
I no have no idea what yo taking about.....bye the way.....I need 50 dolla to go to skool so I can speek and spell good American.....
 davo213
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/3/2007 3:52:08 PM
Hi There, Yes it happens all the time on paid sites,and I my self have been stung twice,One from Africa,the latest Russia. It goes like this breifly.Corresponded for 8 months with a russian woman(kept all emails) Sent over half the plane ticket(she had rest) Come to fly,it was stated she needed security money,as she was not allowed to fly with out it,so silly me sent the money.She gave me new flight times.I went to the airport,but no arrival.I rang another agency to find out when the next flight arrived here.So I went to the airport.And suprise,she arrived here will a male partner.She kept looking at me as they loaded their baggage and walked off.What a nerve.I reported it to the federal police,what a joke,was told to go to local police.I sent emails with photos,and to this day have had no replies.I sent emails an photos to crime stoppers,but no replies.This happen in late Nov,begining of Dec06.
What a bloody cheek I say,and Our security does nothing. What type od city are we living in. Davo213
 lindy_3333
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 4:09:12 PM
I run into those fools everywhere.. but not one here, so far. American Singles, Yahoo Personals, Yahoo Chat, Yahoo Emails, MySpace etc., etc., etc. For me, if the guy is fantastic looking and emailing me, I can about guess he is one of them. The have the best pics money can buy lol....And somehow, they always say they are from someplace in the states or YOUR state, and they are "on business" in Africa.Business men, blah, blah, blah. (For your home town like Cleveland or an area you know you can do what my daughter does. My daughter always makes ap a false neighboring town and asks them if its close to this place or that.... of course since its false, they would know, but they always say the fake place. Then she KNOWS they are liars..Calls them on it and they stumble and fall, lol)

These people are scammers trying to scam men and woman and have been exposed on many news shows and news programs, but seems not everyone knows about them yet. They also have started telling you that one parent is US and another is African. Or one parent is from England, but they moved to the US and grew up here, but can hardly type written English, and their sentence structure is horrible! If they grew up here they would know the language and be able to type it. lol.. When they first started they would give me a big speal about how beautiful I was and how they could fall in love with me, and they wanted someone to marry, yadda, yadda, yadda lol... Most US men on chat, do not do that shit ... most want to know my bra size and my favorite postion and crap like that...hehe..

I can hardly believe that they still are getting people to fall for their BS. Must be a lot of emotional weak people out there to keep this ring of thieves going.

If it's too good to be true, big huge chance it isn't true!! They are predators on the weak and naive.

Linda

Happy fishing everyone, proceed with caution, and watch out for the sharks.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.