Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > reincarnation - does it actually happen      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brandonjohnknapp
Msg: 2
reincarnation - does it actually happenPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Here is my thought on reincarnation...

We exist here and now... our bodies are "atoms" and "matter" and it's all just stardust... plasma... etc.
Yet this "stardust" somehow stays together to make my biological form; building this structure...
More than that, these "cells" which are the "bricks" that make up our bodies... they all "work together" and "absorb" the nutrients from vitamines and minerals... more "stardust"... and tell that "stardust" to assimilate and work in building and repairing our bodies...

What? So magically this stardust makes up a living form... not like a rock which is not alive... and because we are a biological form we are alive!?!
More than just making up "human" bodies, this stardust takes stardust from OTHER living things??? Living and non-living things like calcium and other minerals (which are stardust) and the stardust that "is" our body tells that stardust, "You're working for us now, you are needed... here, in this scab... now patch!"

What can control our bodies to work that way? Stardust that makes planets is controled by gravity, rocks are clumps of similar dust... we do not form because of gravity... plants and animals, we form... how?
What can control the bodies of plants and animals to work this way?
Something in charge, can we call it a soul??? But what "is" a soul???

What am I, as in myself? My body and my fingers right now... um, they... are fingers. What's moving them?
Some theories I've heard are that "we" are nothing more than a chemical/biological/electronic reaction in the "brain" which... randomly commands and controls our bodies and "we" are nothing more than a per-chance existance... who will ceace to exist after our bodies give out on us...

When you think about it... it doesn't make sense. I've got memory, my actions are quick and logical... I am "me" and have thoughts which I remember which I don't turn into actions... I even have dreams.

So what is the soul??? Well... I can tell you from my own opinion that I believe it is not a part of the body... it's something else. Maybe it surrounds or resides within our bodies as some form of "plasma". Maybe it resides somewhere else and our bodies are controled like RC cars on some "supernatural" frequency... I don't know; but clearly I've thought about it. :)

If the soul exists as "one" atom or "one" molecule... tell me which one it is... can you?
Can you tell me, "I will break down your body atom-by-atom and will FIND the atom that is responsible for this thing called the "soul" or personality..." can you find it?
I don't think so.

So what is the soul?
It commands our bodies... commands our atoms to make our "forms" and sends commands to our heart and brain and other intestines to work. The soul... the commander of our bodies... as well as being "us" as in our personalities... our beings... our "self" within uour bodies that actually "uses" these bodies or "forms" of ours...

The soul... if it's not a part of the body... it must live on after the body is gone; that is my absolute opinion on that matter.
Where does it go? I don't know... but I can speculate again... :)

My opinion: if our souls can enter our bodies... once... when we were just "sperm" at the beginning of this existance... then surely when we leave this body and our souls are not longer limited to it's confines, we can be re-born into another body if we so choose. New bodies are being created and "new" souls are being "born" each day... if we die today, why can't we be one of them tomorrow?

That's what I think... hope I didn't bore you.
--Brandon
 Raveninns
Msg: 5
view profile
History
reincarnation - does it actually happen
Posted: 2/8/2007 12:49:17 PM
^^^

a fairly wise twenty year old, I'd say!!

Reincarnation is just one of the inherent beliefs of Native American spirituality.

My belief in reincarnation stems from my belief in the Creator, He is only love. Our goal is to return to him, worthy. Errors must be rectified, and for most souls, can't be done in one lifetime. In His infinite love, He allows us time to fix things...lol..."get back there and do it right this time!!" There is also a lot of joy to be found if one is open to it.....

Just my very humble opinion.

Cheers, Raven
 JMars
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/8/2007 2:20:14 PM
The various Germanic peoples (English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian) had indigenous beliefs regarding transmigration of souls to another world, ie. Heaven, Hell, Niflehel, etc., but also a lesser belief in reincarnation that existed alongside.

There are certain things of course that our experience makes blindingly evident; the looks of an offspring, the personality characteristics, the sheer luck or wisdom regarding certain ventures, that undoubtedly led the ancestors to ponder, is this great-granddad or whomever returned?

Some believe today, based on the very sparse evidence that exists regarding reincarnation amongst the Germanic peoples, eg. the once and future, the king is dead, long live the king, that, yes, they did believe in the reincarnation of the individuality, whereas as other look at our indigenous belief in a composite soul-complex, ie. a soul made up of many parts, and we explain reincarnation this why. That part of the soul that makes up a persons individuality has effectively moved on, that is, has taken it's place in whatevre region of the otherworld that it was so destined. Other components of the soul however, are, as ever, passed down the bloodlines and embodied in some descendent. The qualities so reborn are in fact the property, not of the individual, but of the kindred, or tribe as the case may be.

Personally, I prefer the explanation of soul-components, which just seems to make more sense to my thinking. I certainly don't believe in humans being reborn as ants, or Chinese people being reborn as Africans or whatever, but who knows, while this might not be the usual course, stranger things have happened. And of course, there might very well be something to the more "rebirth of the individuality" type belief.

In the end, both are based upon the same concrete observations, but have come up with different abstract explanations for the phenom.

Oh, we also believe in ancestral memory, similar to Jung's "collective unconscious", so one need not be reborn in any sense to have a strong affinity with some particular time, place or person.
 johnny prophet
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2007 1:34:47 PM
Here's my take on reincarnation:

The things you set in motion, the people you interact with, the children you help raise, the society you help create, etc. lives on after the physical organism which is you, dies. You "live on" in their thoughts, in the things they teach THEIR children, in the businesses which are influenced by your purchases, etc.

The molecules that make up your physical organism also "live on" in the life-cycles of other beings. You are digested by the bacteria, who are in turn absorbed by other things, which break down in the soil and are re-absorbed by plants.

The cycle is unending, and extends all the way to galactic nebulas and indeed, the primal void itself.

In understanding ideas like reincarnation, we must take into account that some of the oldest words for "God" literally translate to "void" or "nothing". We all came from nothing, and to nothing we shall return. But that nothing is also the foundation of all future "somethings" to come.

but when I hear of children who can remember places and events in some detail from previous lives it makes me wonder.

There have been many who speculate that some kind of racial memory may be present in DNA, and that perhaps these people are somehow triggering those memories. Fun stuff.
 Fibonacci
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/12/2007 12:19:11 AM
They say that India's Indians are most of all afraid of reincarnation. They try not to eat meat and lead healthy productive lives on purpose to return to the Source once and for all, lest they should come back here and go thru all the vicissitudes of fate again and again. Oriental peoples believe that there's a woman with a cup of water standing right beside those who are going to Heaven. And all of them are extremely thirsty. Those who fail to overcome the temptation of satisfying the overmastering thirst are subject to reincarnating. Quite an interesting concept. I believe that reincarnation keeps happening until we manage to erase all our debts.
 brandonjohnknapp
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/13/2007 5:16:00 PM
You stated:

What the hell is star dust?

In the universe there is "not matter" (like the void of Space) and there is "matter" (like you, me, metal, rock, chemicals, soil)... everything that "exists" is made up of "matter" which is actually just "stardust".

We are made up of what the planet is, break our bodies down and all of our "components" can be found within the soil of this planet... the planet is made up of "dust" that existed in Space before it clumped together then made the planet. The Sun also formed from this cloud, and this is the process by which the stars and planets and other objects all around the universe are formed from the "stardust" that exists in clumps and clouds in some places of the universe even to this day; Hubble has taken some nice snapshots of these formations of "stardust".

Break down what we and the planet and the stars are... it's just "dust".
That is what "stardust" is.

--Brandon
 Simlasa
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2007 9:35:26 PM
I'm with Tantric_OG up there...
That's always been my sense of where the reincarnation stories are stemming from... and it 'explains' a lot of other phenomena as well... definitely on Jung's mystical side.
 Simlasa
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2007 10:22:25 PM
I've actually read of relatively few OBE/NDE experiences that reinforce a particular religious viewpoint... though many folks do describe them as a significant 'spiritual' experience.
I had one once, long long ago, independent of any life-threatening trauma, and it did have all the usual accoutrements... 'tunnel' of light, freindly greeters, life-altering revelation... but I definitely did NOT see God/Jesus/Buddha or any of the other usual suspects.

There's an interesting book called 'Journeys Out of the Body' by Robert Monroe. I'm skeptical (to put it mildly!)... but open, and though I'm not interested in his later affiliations, that first book does present some interesting tales relatively free of interpretation or mysticism.
Though he seems, at one point, to have some visits with people in a sort of 'afterlife' he never finds God or Heaven or Hell... or really any sort of 'system' at all.
 Fibonacci
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/18/2007 8:14:02 PM
ss,

to support the idea of reincarnation, I'd venture to propound a theory that would make it possible for a soul to migrate from an organism other than human into a human body. Hindus believe in reincarnation, denying reincarnation would be denying such a profound religion as Hinduism. This is just my opinion. It's also based on my reading of a coupla books on Sufism.
 2cancanoe
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/1/2007 8:29:31 AM
Having come from a Judeo/christian background, I have naturally turned to the bible for answers to this question. The greatest man who ever lived stated that, indeed, reincarnation is a fact. "Where does it say that?", you may ask. After the beheading of John the Baptist, Christ was asked if John was Issaias, to which he replied in the affirmative. Issaias, or Isaiah was a prophet of God that (who) never experienced death, as we know it. Furthermore, in Revelation, his return is foretold. He is to be murdered and his corpse, along with 2 other 'messengers', is to lie in the streets for 3 days at which point they are resurrected and return to heaven. This is confirmation that reincarnation is an acceptable belief. Peace be with you.
 2cancanoe
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/1/2007 8:34:54 AM
One of the Fathers of Physics supported the notion of reincarnation with the universally accepted Law he quoted. Energy is neither created nor destroyed, it only changes form. Thank-you Sir Isaac Newton.
 Masturbating Girl
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/16/2007 7:48:09 AM
I read about Hindu beliefs in reincarnation as well as some psychologists comments in their books from their patients confirming the existence of reincarnation...but, it could be that they wanted to increase the sales of their book but writing something unusual…it makes you wonder...Do you know why what are rules in Hinduism or any similar religion or belief, if any, determining if one was to be born as a human or an animal?
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 1:30:29 PM
I absolutely believe in it. But I couldn't tell you why except it feels right...way deep down. Also when I do read about it I get that "click" that Sassy talks about. I do have "memories" flashes really, of things I know I have never experienced in this life time...and some areas of knowledge I don't really learn, I seem to remember them once I get the right cues. There are also people I have met over the course of my life where the feeling of familiarity and recognition was overwhelming (on both sides) It was like seeing a great friend after a really long time...but there was no way we could know each other.

Some of the best evidence is from very young children..

As to how it works...I'm not sure, but I subscribe to the maturation of the soul.. but I would start it at an even earlier form.. pure unformed energy, to mineral, plant, animal, human..and who knows what is beyond that. I don't particularly believe in going backwards..say from human to plant or animal...but do think we could remain at a certain maturity level for several lives while exploring a certain area of growth.I also think the "soul" is not the same as the personality..that our "self" as we experience it now is more of a vehicle to experience this life with, like our bodies are also.

I have more, but am not feeling well today...good topic!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2008 4:46:11 PM
I tell her "Lucas Brown".

I did some research.

A Lucius H. Brown served in the 3 Texas Infantry, Co. I. The 1850 Census for Caldwell County shows Lucas H. Brown, 12, born in Arkansas to schoolteacher H.D. Brown and wife Eliza, of NC.

igam.org/history/Articles/Baylor_initiates.htm

OK, common name perhaps.......

I've found references that other units of the Texas Infantry were certainly involved in the battle of Marietta, and the Atlanta Campaign. It's not impossible that the Third did too.

the 7th Texas Infantry regiment participated in the following battles which had a direct impact on the course of the war and / or a decisive influence on a campaign

Gilgal Church, Georgia, 15 June 1864

part of Battle of Marietta, Georgia, 09 June - 03 July 1864

Atlanta, Georgia, 21- 22 July 1864

http://www.cemeteryworks.com/army_tenn.html

If so, perhaps the extreme violence and hardship of those battles and campaign might have been quite memorable to a .....twenty six year old man.

( Might explain your rather passionate comments against Lincoln in my thread on him, as well )

Maybe the Band was LYING , after all ....

You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat.

....it's a time I remember, oh so well....

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 6:04:15 AM
Hey , I can't argue against reincarnation - even though it's totally "illogical" when one begins to think about it.

I've posted before about my experience with it, and I can't say it actually exists. All I CAN say is that a variety of really strange things have occurred in my life that make me think there's something to it.

I had a dream where I described (as a five year old) a scene that actually occurred, in perfect detail, and did that to such an extent my Mother talked about it right up until her death. I have a connection with both the Netherlands, and the military, which makes no "logical" sense.

I've never said that it IS a reincarnation experience, because I don't think that can be proven one way or the other. Like any belief, it's a matter of faith.

I just know what I've experienced, and what others have experienced - and a lot of that defies logic, and that experience has left me with no answers - and a great many questions.

In fact, my eventual trip to the Netherlands is based, to a large extent, on a "spiritual journey" much like your trip to Marietta. I may walk away from that with nothing, but I'm drawn to it like a moth to the flame.

A friend of mine had a great suggestion about doing a book about it all, and I'd already considered doing a documentary film. I may in fact do both.

Either way the die rolls, it might prove fascinating.
 pappy009
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2008 7:45:59 AM
For me there is no other explanation. Ravenstar can attest to that one. Are you still living in the Church and hows the daughter doing.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2008 10:51:29 AM
OMG!!!!

Someone who knows me from Port? You have no pic so I'm not sure who this is. Ummm... Hi!
No longer in the church.... had to give it up (very sad). Daughter is doing fabulous, as am I.

Sorry all for going off topic.

This is something that is almost impossible to prove. I want to address the idea of population. Most people I have spoken with who do prescribe to reincarnation see life as more than just this planet, and this plane of existance. "Souls" are considered to be as inumerable as the stars themselves and earth only one possible place to incarnate. There is no "shortage" of spirits to inhabit, or create, physical vehicles to reincarnate to... there is a whole universe populated by incarnate and carnate beings... of all levels. And for those who have reas some of the Seth material... there is also the possibility that we, as souls, have more than one personality - or incarnation going at one time... considering that "time" as we know it here does not really exist in a linear fashion anyway.

Just some thoughts
 scorpiomover
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:18:24 PM
I've met a few people who claimed they remembered being in a previous life. Some were my friends. They weren't showing off or anything. I have no reason to doubt them. Particularly as these people had some very odd ways of dealing with life, that would have made a lot more sense in a previous millennium.
 pappy009
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 5:13:38 AM
I've had two past life readings by different people, Both, almost exactly the same. It gave me an understanding of who I am. Plus everything they spoke of, I tended to do very early in my life. Pretty well everything they said I am repeating now. I connected with everything too.

From what I understand that with every birth your slate is wiped clean, you are not aware of your past life because its deep within the Super Subconscious. Our minds are the same but the vehicle the brain is new, so we have to program it in a new reality. Our instincts or attitude is what we carry over not our knowledge of past events. Its in our attitude that our karmic destiny is created. We create our own realities, separate from others. You reap what you Sow.

Ravenstar still reading tarot cards.
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/12/2008 8:49:39 PM
sounds like a religious thread.

Probably more evidence to support this theory vs certain mainstream religions.
 TheLimey
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2008 9:06:54 PM
Have you any idea how many women claim to have been Cleopatra?

Jacobus101
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 2:11:49 AM
jerry.au:

I don't know about that story you recounted.... but the description of Winchester Cathedral, past and present, was beautiful nonetheless.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/13/2008 2:54:31 AM

Have you any idea how many women claim to have been Cleopatra?

As one wag observed at a certain time in the recent past there were, at last count, about 100 people or so claiming to be reincarnations of Aleister Crowley. It seems likely as they all had about one one-hundredth of his wit, skill with the English language, charisma, and knowledge of Western and Eastern occultism.

Perhaps there are elements of the soul that fragment. But much more likely is that our ability to plug into some greater Collective Unconscious allows us to envision details of the life of Cleopatra, or perhaps under hypnosis, dredge up intimate details that seem to be real enough to us and seem to be convincing in the right setting.

Perhaps reincarnation is possible. But is hypnotic regression an exact and reliable science? Are buried or "repressed" memories to be trusted? Not bloody likely. Evidence clearly shows otherwise in most cases. This is one of those 'Trust in Allah, but tie your camel first" situations.

I once believed I had an intense inner vision so realistic that in retrospect it seemed transportatively real...beyond casual imagination...as if it were bi-location. It seemed to be occuring some time in the ancient past. But would I stake anything important on it...not likely. But it is certainly worth investgating. My brothers brother in law saw an image of himself in a photo of a long dead Civil War soldier, long after experiencing strange dreams of battle and pains from a phantom injury. That was more than enough to convince him. This is not an uncommon experience by any stretch of the imagination.
 TheLimey
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 7:40:54 AM

Perhaps there are elements of the soul that fragment. But much more likely is that our ability to plug into some greater Collective Unconscious allows us to envision details of the life of Cleopatra, or perhaps under hypnosis, dredge up intimate details that seem to be real enough to us and seem to be convincing in the right setting.

Perhaps reincarnation is possible. But is hypnotic regression an exact and reliable science? Are buried or "repressed" memories to be trusted? Not bloody likely. Evidence clearly shows otherwise in most cases. This is one of those 'Trust in Allah, but tie your camel first" situations.

.. or perhaps they watched some epic movie when they were a child ......
 themadfiddler
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/13/2008 2:08:53 PM

.. or perhaps they watched some epic movie when they were a child ......

Well of course. That is the obvious solution. It all depends on how much verifiable detail they are able to produce.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > reincarnation - does it actually happen