Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > r u an organ donor.OH OH      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dirk_in_aus
Msg: 1
r u an organ donor.OH OHPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Did you know that if your a doner of body organs. As soon as your classafied as dead, your put on a life support system to keep your body alive till your organ is needed. If your dead, then so are your organs, SO. what if your NOT actualy dead and they start cutting you open to retrieve the organ needed, are you prepaired to take that chance. cos im not.
 ebgdae
Msg: 2
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/17/2007 11:21:32 PM
I thought I was an organ donor till watching some current affairs show the other night.
I'd ticked on my licence like a lot of people do. Apparantly you have to go down to medicare and fill out a separate form to be a heart and lung and other donor for those needing the transplant.
This is the reason why there's such a chronic shortage. It's why people needing these transplants are dying on the waiting lists, No other real reason, there's no shortage of needed organs.
I'm tickled pink some other poor soul could have a changed life, or life at all out of my spare parts. They're only going to bury or burn them anyhow.
I was pretty shocked and i bet a lot of others who'd ticked on their licence as a donor are too.
I think it's time for some urgent changes to our bureaucracy. People dying on waiting lists while other people dying who've agreed to be organ donors. It's a sensless, tragic waste.
 GenuineGoddess
Msg: 3
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/17/2007 11:30:18 PM
^^^^ I have ticked to donate my organs via my licence, but they have failed to inform me to go to Centrelink. lol... Is centrelink now expanding its services to include organ welfare.

Dirk... I don't think that they will be cutting up our bodies while we are still consciously or sub-consciously alive. I think there would be some strict measures in place for that. What they are I am not sure but I can't see we are dead, and just as they are about to cut open we wake up.

As I said i think there would be some very strict measures in place before anyone takes out our organs.
 CavesBeach
Msg: 4
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 12:00:37 AM
I found out the only compatible reciepient for my organs was keith richards..or barney gumble from the simpsons

but i still boxed the tick on my licence anyways, hick up . . hick up

good post , thou like to hear the death vs organs thang..its like death week on the ozzie forums, ghosts and goblins and organs transplants ....Ilike it
 MzScrubber
Msg: 5
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 12:07:16 AM
from what i know you have to be brain dead in order for them to even contemplate organ donation. so i dont think theres going to be a chance that you come back mid-cut.

i was watching RPA the other night and there was a beautiful story of father and daughter. the daughter has kidney problems and is on dialysis and she needs a new kidney. her mother was going to donate one to her but it turned out her mother was diagnosed with diabetes so the father offered one of his.

they went through the stages and it turned out the father had a tumor on his kidney. they decided to go ahead and cut the kidney out and see if the tumor was cancer or not. if it was they would cut the cancer out and give the kidney to someone else.

they didnt end up giving the daughter the kidney because there was a risk that there might still be cancer cells in it and at such a young age they didnt want her to deal with that as well. so instead they gave the kidney to someone older, who although it wouldnt give them many more years of life left it would get them off dialysis and give them at least a few years of better health.

it was one of the most moving stories i had seen on that show.

i am an organ donor. i dont care what they take or how they take it. as long as its helping someone else then thats a good thing. my mother also has in her will that she wants her body left to science. no point putting it in the ground for the worms to eat she says roflmao!!
 sailorsal
Msg: 6
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 12:09:34 AM
I ticked the box, i even filled out a form and sent it back.

I have a friend who is a adament he wont be an organ donor as he is convinced the student doctors will cut off his penis and play practical jokes with it, such as placing it in someones closed umbrella. He was a medical research scientist so one can diduce some prior kowledge of these things.

Mind you he hasnt told me what he has planned for his special friend after his demise. I would have to guess it wouldnt be much unless they have invented penile transplants by then. Im sure he would be first in the queue.

As far as im concerned they can have all of me, got to be better than rotting in the ground and if someone gets a laugh out of my less than attractive bits, well what a way to be remembered.
 pattie smith60
Msg: 7
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 12:14:57 AM
I can appreciate what you are saying,Dirk in aus.
Im an organ donor and have been for many years.
Yes,Im willing to take the risk,I wouldnt want to be around if I was brain dead and Im sure the Donor team,wouldnt take from us,if they felt that we could have survived.
 ebgdae
Msg: 8
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 12:48:16 AM
RE Message 3

Not sure how you read Centerlink into it.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/yourhealth/our_services/aodr/faqs.shtml

Australian Organ Donor Register

"What if I’m already registered as a donor elsewhere?"

It is important that you register your consent (or objection) to be an organ and/or tissue donor on the Australian Organ Donor Register. This is the only national register for organ and tissue donation for transplantation.
Even if you have expressed an intention to donate organs or tissue by some other means in the past, eg by ticking a box on a driver’s licence renewal, you will need to record your consent (or objection) on the national Donor Register.

QueenV07
Msg: 9
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 1:10:14 AM
As the daughter-in-law of a heart donor recipient I can only encourage people to donate and to not fear death. There are incredible rules and disciplines that are involved in the donation of an organ.

Too many viable organs go to waste because individuals or their families have not chosen organ donation.

Your organs are not taken until you are declared dead.

The reason for the implementation of the National Donor Register is that all major hospitals now have instantaneous access to a list of donors and receivers... therefore if you are brought into their hospital they can instantly determine if you are a donor. The ability to instantly access this information could be the difference between the life or death of another human being.

There is no greater gift, than the gift of life.... my only hope is that in my death others will be able to live on.
 Faux Pa
Msg: 10
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 3:31:25 AM

SO. what if your NOT actualy dead and they start cutting you open to retrieve the organ needed, are you prepaired to take that chance. cos im not.

Surely they can do some tests, here . . . maybe a test to see if you can still post on the forums?
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 11
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 6:46:55 AM
Apparently ethical debate about what constitutes death still rages, which is an issue of concern to any organ donor. ...this is from 2007...

...http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1414041

""Contemporary intensive care unit (ICU) medicine has complicated the issue of what constitutes death in a life support environment. Not only is the distinction between sapient life and prolongation of vital signs blurred but the concept of death itself has been made more complex. The demand for organs to facilitate transplantation promotes a strong incentive to define clinical death in a manner that most effectively supplies that demand. We consider the problem of defining death in the ICU as a function of viable organ availability for transplantation"" [end quote]

And I thought people were meant to be brain dead before organs can be taken, but apparently sometimes it's extended to those who are merely non-heart-beating. This is an abridged version of an older article (from the National Academy of Sciences, info sourced from the Institute of Medicine, 1997) ....scared me off the idea a bit really. Check out paragraphs 4,6,and in particular paragrpah 7.

WASHINGTON -- A group of patients not generally considered potential organ donors could help ease the current shortage for transplants, but procedures first must be put in place first to ensure their proper care, according to a new report* from the Institute of Medicine (IOM).

These patients -- whose hearts have stopped beating but who have not been declared brain dead -- account for only 1 percent of all organs recovered from cadavers in the United States each year, and procedures for their care vary widely among the nation's 63 organ-procurement organizations. The report calls for a consistent national approach that ensures appropriate care for all organ donors and, at the same time, permits recovery of greater numbers of organs from non-heart-beating donors.

Non-heart-beating donors -- who include patients on life support and are not yet brain dead, or those who have suffered cardiac arrest and cannot be resuscitated -- traditionally have accounted for a very small proportion of donations. Donors whose hearts are still beating are preferred because their organs are sustained by warm, oxygenated blood until the moment of removal, which increases the likelihood of successful transplant.

There is no consistent policy among the institutions involved in transplantation on how to obtain family consent for withdrawing life support, for donating organs, or for using drugs that improve the condition of organs but may under some circumstances be harmful to the patient.

In a survey of all 63 organ procurement organizations across the nation, the IOM study found that fewer than half have protocols in place for non-heart-beating donors. Of those organizations that have written procedures, all agreed that discussion of organ donation with families should take place only after the family has made an independent decision to withdraw life support, and that -- to avoid conflicts of interest -- the physician who declares death after withdrawal of life support should not be affiliated in any way with the organ procurement organization. Beyond these two points, however, protocols vary widely on such fundamentals as what constitutes death; what medical interventions to use to sustain organs while the patient is still alive; the role of organ procurement organizations in assessing and preparing donors; and the proper approach for obtaining family consent. The report also concludes:

> Heparin and phentolamine -- two drugs used to enhance organ quality before being recovered from a patient -- may occasionally hasten death in some patients with certain medical conditions, although no specific instance in any donor has been reported. Because of this possibility, organ procurement organizations should not be guided by a blanket policy on whether or when to use these drugs. Clinical decisions should be made on an individual basis, in consultation with the donor's attending physician and family.

> It is ethically acceptable to use some medical procedures that do not hasten death, but are invasive and possibly painful, once the decision has been made by the family to donate organs and before life support is withdrawn. Such procedures include cannulation, in which doctors insert a tube into a body cavity or artery to deliver cooling fluids to the body to conserve organs. Family consent always must be obtained and local anesthesia should be used if needed.

> In patients who have experienced cardiac arrest after removal of life support, at least five minutes should elapse after circulation stops before death is pronounced and organ preparation or removal begins. This standard interval should be uniformly adopted by every organ procurement organization to ensure that death has occurred in all instances, and to eliminate the possibility that a donor could be defined as dead in one jurisdiction that recognizes a shorter interval, and not in another that recognizes a longer interval. Currently, that time period ranges from immediately after the heart stops in some facilities, to five minutes or longer in others. Additional scientific study should be undertaken to confirm that this five-minute requirement is adequate or more than adequate.

> Families of organ donors should be fully informed of all medical procedures, and be given privacy and time to adjust. They should be provided the option of attending the withdrawal of life support and the death of their loved ones. And any costs associated with donating organs should not be borne by families of donors.

This study was sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Institute of Medicine is a private, non-profit organization that provides health policy advice under a congressional charter granted to the National Academy of Sciences.

full article at http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=6036
 naamah3incognito
Msg: 12
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/18/2007 6:52:13 AM
...oops...that first quote was from end 2005, not 2007...so maybe they have worked it out in the last year and a bit....perhaps the 'able to still post on forums' measure was adopted after all.
 Gypsy33
Msg: 13
view profile
History
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/23/2007 3:21:08 AM
They perform three tests prior to pronouncing you dead...you must fail all three tests to be dead.

I am an organ donor...and yes you do have to fill out an organ donor form...it can be sent to you thru the mail...you fill it out/ have it witnessed and send it back. You also have to discuss it with your family.....just cos you have a donor card or tick your licence...they still need the permission of living family members...so make sure they know what your wishes are....this is one of the biggest hold backs...family dont know and say no.

There is only one thing i said no to....i will not allow my body to be used for university research or student learning....ive seen what they do to those bodies....i know students need to learn....but they just dont show respect for the dead....so no way...they can learn on artificial copies til they behave better....and yes as a nurse ive seen it first hand.

Its sooooooooo hard to get matches.....the more people go on the registra the better

can i take this question one step further....

How many of you are on the Bone marrow donor registery....this is needed just as much if not more....and all you will cop is is couple of days of achyness like you had the flu...yet you have saved a life...and usually that life belongs to a child

And

How many of you are Blood Donors

do you know only 4 % of our population donates blood....and dont tell me your scared of needles.....gees if thats the worst that happens to you in your life you are very lucky....think of those kids in hospital having 6 injection a day every day

Want to save a life....then think about it....cos it could be your life one day that needs saving

not that i would wish it on anyone

ok...off my soap box....smile

think about it

deb
 Krool
Msg: 14
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/26/2007 12:14:34 AM
I have reservations about organ donation..
I do not see that it is primary aBOUT saving human life..
People get staTUS ,MONEY, JOBS PURPOSE, affirmation,etc..
It is good to accept our lot in life and make the most of it..
If it was a group of hoobos only pushing this issue would it get the prominence it has.
I still feel that I was not consulted when my father donated his body to research.. people didnt care about him when he was alive..
One is harassed in the media TO DONAte.. all sorts of personal questions are asked.# times I went to the red X to offer my services but they didnt have the time..
 Van_loon
Msg: 15
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/26/2007 1:08:03 AM
When you time is up then your time is up.
 saltytowers
Msg: 16
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/26/2007 11:56:32 PM
The grandson of a friend is about 1 year old. Little guy. He was on the waiting list for a liver transplant.

Recently he went downhill fairly fast and had everyone worried. Back into hospital in a hurry. Often keeping alive long enough to get a compatible organ is the challenge. And many dont make it. They die waiting.

The little guy was called in for the transplant late last week just after the scare. Now come the other challenges and post op complications. Getting him through this part alive. Nothing is definite even after the op.

If you think its easy for the recipient, they struggle too. Just being alive and waiting is a struggle. Having the op is a struggle. Trying to survive afterwards is a struggle.

We dont know yet if he will make it or not, but are shyly optimistic and taking one step at a time.

Thank you to whoever it was who gave at least a percentage shot for the little guy. He has an almost normal color for the first time since he was born. His body isnt his worst enemy for the first time.

Will he make it? I hope so. I believe in his determination to live. And if he does..whoever donated that liver has done a wonderful thing.

Who knows? The little guy might be the next Beethoven! Or a waiter in a bar. I really dont care. He's a child who now has a chance to maybe live.

And now you can call me a hypocrite because I'm not an organ donor. Besides my brain I'm not sure they'd get anything too much they could use. lol And frankly who the heck would want my brain :)
 hortense
Msg: 17
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/27/2007 4:43:08 AM
My sentiments about organ donation are already set to music -

All of me, why not take all of me?

But, as I get too old to be interesting even to medical science or for organ donation, I continue to be a blood donor. Where else can you get a free quarterly medical check-up with a bonus cuppa and some free food?
 QueenV07
Msg: 18
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/28/2007 12:12:29 AM

The grandson of a friend is about 1 year old. Little guy. He was on the waiting list for a liver transplant.

Salty, my thoughts are with this brave little fellow and his family. So many people do think that once the transplant has occurred everything is fine.

My mother-in-law died six/seven weeks post op, due to complications with the transplant.

A work colleague and friend received a transplant and suffered nearly as much afterwards as she had prior... she passed away also.

But there are many, many more who survive. And that is with thanks to those wonderful people who have chosen to be donors. But Salty, don't believe that you have nothing to offer. Your corneas may be perfect to help someone else once you no longer need them.
 hortense
Msg: 19
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/28/2007 7:45:40 AM
You're right Queen. A friend's husband wanted to be a donor and only his corneas were of use. She was very pleased to receive information quickly about where they went (anonymously of course) so she knew his wish had helped others.
 saltytowers
Msg: 20
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 2/28/2007 3:29:32 PM
my eyes are screwed
have to have something done about them soon before I am completely blind myself
but I have this THING about something coming at my eyes
I know you're under....but I just cant get past it mentally
kinda hoping I'll be dead before I'm blind

so.....back to square one

Little Jack is hopefully coming out of ICU soon. His bilirubin levels are down to 32 (from 550 before the operation) and his blood gases are good. It looks like they will remove his breathing tube tomorrow or the next day as well as the stomach drain and central line. They will also start to give him his antibiotics and painkillers orally.

then they have to try and get his lungs working properly. he has a virus in his lungs now and they havent been able to do much without being able to move him after the op..actually the not moving is half the problem.

one step at a time

poor little guy is in so much pain and they cant do much postural drainage without causing problems re the transplant op

not being able to tackle one because of the other is frustrating and the feeling of helplessness that comes with it too

keeping fingers crossed and remaining gently optimistic

one step a time
one day at a time
 netab
Msg: 21
r u an organ donor.OH OH
Posted: 3/1/2007 12:29:24 AM
I'd appreciate no reference to this message after it's posted. Myself and my partner lost our 4 year old daughter in a car accident in 1997. One of my lasting regrets is that we had not considered this question at the time of her death. It would have helped us both that an act of god, could have brought benefit to someone, somewhere.
 saltytowers
Msg: 22
r u an organ donor?
Posted: 3/2/2007 5:24:14 PM
^^ understood
 saltytowers
Msg: 23
r u an organ donor?
Posted: 3/2/2007 5:29:08 PM
Update:

Little Jack is going well. He has his first birthday today :) The big ONE. The staff at ICU have arranged a little party for him and another little girl who also has her birthday today.

They took his breathing tube out yesterday (so far so good) and should remove some of his lines today.

One step a time
One day a time
But today's kinda special :)

***He lived to see his first birthday***

Happy Birthday Jack
 Aussie Wanderer
Msg: 24
r u an organ donor?
Posted: 3/2/2007 5:58:05 PM
Yes and have been for years, my daughters who live NSW are donors also. We have a firm belief that if we can help another or several people through our death then we have given a very special gift.
This is a very personal choice area and there is no right or wrong answer.

My belief system is that I have left the vessel I walked on earth with, since I no longer need it on my next journey let it help those still living within bodies that need assistance.
 Targus169
Msg: 25
r u an organ donor?
Posted: 3/2/2007 11:37:02 PM
Actually thanks to the Op for starting the list and the contributors for putting up the registration facts needed now. I just went and did It on line ( to be a donor ). Thanks a lot and just to let everyone know you can do the entire process on line.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > r u an organ donor.OH OH