Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Bling Bling      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jackson*
Msg: 1
Bling Bling Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Ladies I’m just curious how you feel about receiving jewelry from the men you are dating, particularly diamonds.

I came dangerously close to getting married once. One of the warning signs to me was that she really wanted a large rock. Not huge, but she insisted that it not be small. Personally I have ethical issues with the diamond industry in general. Not to mention I find it wasteful to blow good money on frivolous materialism.

Are there any women who prefer practicality, or am I just being a cheap man?
 jamesxxx71
Msg: 2
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 5:51:09 AM
Well I think that jewelry is fine, diamonds etc. but I don't adhere to Debeers moto of investing two month's salary on a diamond ring. There's no way I'm gonna spend over 7000$ on jewelry that's for sure.
 Jackson*
Msg: 3
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 5:59:58 AM
two months? My ex said it was three months lol.

Don’t get me wrong she was a sweet girl, not materialistic in general. She just really wanted a big diamond. My rational was, why don’t I just buy you an elegant silver band, and then I’ll buy you a car?
 jamesxxx71
Msg: 4
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 6:02:15 AM

I dont think its the size of the rock

It's the size of the c*ck lol.......only kidding, had to say it that's all
 SweetShaker
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 6:04:59 AM
I personally hate recieving expensive jewerly, just paranoid about damaging or loosing it.

I have never recieved anything worth more than $99.99, and have never been unhappy with that. Every piece I have ever recieved has been chosen with care in a style that I would like (or so he thinks... I give credit for effort here).

I honestly, am too cheap myself to want anything worth more than that. Just seems like a waste to me. I would much rather see that extra money spent on doing things together, or things we will use together.

That's just my opinion though.
 Jackson*
Msg: 6
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 7:05:27 AM
Wow you people are nice. All my friends made me feel like an a$$hole for not just biting the bullet and buying the beautiful girl what she wanted to make her happy before she slipped away. In retrospect, they were probably right. *sigh
…but I digress.

Anyway what really bothers me was the comparing thing. I hated it that she wanted a pretty ring so she could feel proud showing it off to her friends. I wanted her to be proud of me, not what I had bought her. All her girlfriends knew me, and knew us. If they thought we were a good couple, the type of ring I bought her should not change their mind.

I hope that eventually I will find a girl who disagrees with supporting the unethical diamond industry. But I think next time I will just buy her whatever makes her happy.
 blondegreeneyedgal
Msg: 7
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 7:21:13 AM
Id rather not have a diamond,or a ring for that matter lol if he was making a "commitment" so to speak it means more to me to know how he feels than to have something on my hand that is only for show.No need to prove anything to anyone else but me.A freakin twist tie will do lol
 SweetKristine
Msg: 8
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 7:25:25 AM
Personally i wouldnt want a huge ring...just dont like them..i just want a small pretty stone...heck i dont even care, if a guy had enough love in his heart to propose to me, thats all i need....i was engaged once...didnt even have a diamond ring...i had a pinky ring that was his, that was something special to him
 jamesxxx71
Msg: 9
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 7:32:15 AM
^^^bailey, very nice pic.....leaves much to my imagination

On topic: Yeah, big diamonds are really not a necessity at all.
 SweetKristine
Msg: 10
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 7:35:10 AM
i love taking people off my favs list :)

On topic...Nope nope dont wanna big diamond like i said in my earlier post..the ring he gave me ment more than a big diamond would have...demn wish i woulda not given it back to him when i broke up with him, and burned it im evil i know
i think it has to come from the heart, not the wallet
 blondegreeneyedgal
Msg: 11
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 7:37:25 AM
I dont see the point in jewelry .Would a guy expect it if we were the one doing the asking?or woudl he prefer we bought him a harley to drive around on so he could show everyone how much we loved them? lol
 blondegreeneyedgal
Msg: 12
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 7:39:41 AM
no kidding lol but I aint buying him no shining new toys
 Frrosty
Msg: 13
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 8:37:33 AM
My wife gets one every year, likely, more than once were I running out of things to buy.

Girlfirends hardly ever get bling form me,. If we staty together long enough where "bling" shouldnbe bought, chances are we're marrying anyways.

Sheesh; I would rather by a gf furniture than bling if I am not sure I will be staying for her. It's more productive for her, ISNT exactly a small puney guift AND costs less!!

[quote]I never did understand how we started the tradition of women getting gifts for engagement, and not men. How did men get ripped off here?[/quote]

Blame the word "dowery" love.
 Frrosty
Msg: 14
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 9:09:59 AM
*cough* *cough* ^ stud.

kadmus
Msg: 15
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 9:26:53 AM

I never did understand how we started the tradition of women getting gifts for engagement, and not men. How did men get ripped off here?

the engagement gift has a long tradition. In colonial america, it was given in the form of a ring usually with some precious stones. Diamonds were pretty rare so they didn't normally make it into engagement rings until later. The ring technically was given to the family of the girl being proposed to. The idea being that if the man slept with the girl prior to marriage, this was that insurance that she would be taken care of he decided not to marry her (girls were expected to be virgins until marriage or at least engagement). Not until marriage rights started to change did the engagement ring become a gift to the girl be proposed too. And not until Diamonds became less rare did diamonds become the stone of choice.

The 2 months salary was developed by a diamond company as an ad campaign in the 1960s. Until then, no standard existed.
 Frrosty
Msg: 16
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 9:30:58 AM
aahh heck, bellyrings etc etc are a dime a dzen really; THAT would be no problem. I got my ears pierced just recently (2 years?) over May 24 because the girl I was dating (2 dates only or so) thought it would look cute..ssssoo..I got it done for her..just for fun!

It's the 800.00-3500.00 diamonds, white gold and platinum that I'm not doin until we're married.
 kadmus
Msg: 17
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 9:47:11 AM
any girl I'm marrying must remove the strap on prior to the ceremony.

I can see Ltlwhip in a latex wedding dress and a little buldge coming from the front....
 Frrosty
Msg: 18
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 9:51:48 AM

fell in love, ran off (was stolen by groom), settled in some far off place...

I'm all about invadin a strange city n runnin off with my wife over my shoulder..I swear. Heck, if she has a lil cub..he's bein towed behind in the lil red wagin as I run away super fast with my spoils. family? Yup..I can drag them too..you watch.

I WILL PILLAGE MY WHOLE DAMNED FAMDAMILY IF I HAVE TO!!

kadmus
Msg: 19
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 10:02:31 AM
Ltl, I think I cut my hand when I caught the barbed wire garder

WOW -- we've strayed off topic. I wonder if that can be a diamond bling bling barbed wire garder.
 SweetKristine
Msg: 20
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 11:29:22 AM
^^^wow you guys are someeeeee freaky people...i kinda like it :) i mean NO THATS JUST WRONG MUST NOT LIKE

as far as weddings, i wanna get married on a cliff over looking the ocean...Since i live in Missouri, not gonna happen hehe

as far as the ring, just something simple, why spend all that money on the ring, would rather spend it towards a house, or sex toys, or a hot tub
 Frrosty
Msg: 21
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 11:34:20 AM
^ GOOD GIRL!!

THAT kind of attitude will get you COUNTLESS pretty rings as the relationship goes on and on and on and on.

GOOD GIRL!!!

SweetKristine
Msg: 22
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 11:35:40 AM
^ GOOD GIRL!!

woof woof *wags tail* do i get my treat now

on topic...yea dont want no bling bling...although in my "hood" they call it bling
 Pandy
Msg: 23
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 11:37:31 AM
i don't get it either, Jackson.....I'd much rather the money be spent on something that were practical , and could be used by us both as a couple.

I'd look at a ring worth 10K aNd think about what that 10K could have been earning for us in high yield mutuals (hehehe).

Huge , ostentatious , and expensive weddings are another thing I find idiotic. How stupid is it to start married life with a big old hunk of debt and nothing more to show for it than well fed and entertained relatives/friends? UGH.....any couple would be much better advised to put that money down on a mortgage principle or invest it for retirement.

Call me a cold blooded pragmatist :D
 SweetKristine
Msg: 24
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 11:49:29 AM
his mother is no longer with us and that necklace reminds him of her and he gave it to ME because he loves me THAT much....no gold, no diamonds, just a ton of sentiment.

*grabs kleenex.......awwwwwwwwww that reminds me of a wal-mart commerical..the setiment..thats sweet really is :) when i was engaged*blah* my fiance gave me a pinky ring that he got while he was living in oklahoma from his best friend..ment a lot to him, b/c the guy ended up killing himself...and it was all he had left to remind him of his friend..and their speical bond
 Frrosty
Msg: 25
Bling Bling
Posted: 4/15/2005 11:55:21 AM
^ wow.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Bling Bling