Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Jiggs and Reels , Celtic Music      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gypsygirl29
Msg: 2
Jiggs and Reels , Celtic MusicPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Ashley MacIsaac (really awesome fiddle player)
Natalie McMaster (his cousin)
Allison Krauss (she's mostly blue grass, but plays some kick ass fiddle)
Loreena McKennitt (her new album is really quite good)
Mike Oldfield (really New Age but I quite like it)
The Corrs (kind of country-celtic cross)

But definitely check out MacIsaac, he's from the east coast and is really quite different. These artists are all Canadian with the exception of Allison Krauss and Mike Oldfield. You may want to look into Great Big Sea who is an Eastern Canadian band as well. Just some thoughts.
 AmeliaEarhart
Msg: 3
Jiggs and Reels , Celtic Music
Posted: 2/28/2007 7:55:56 PM
Definitely check out The Chieftains.

My faves are Chase Around the Windmill and The Wind That Shakes the Barley.

Karen Matheson has some beautiful pieces in the soundtrack for Rob Roy, too.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/28/2007 11:47:37 PM
The band that actually was featured in the scene in Titanic was called Gaelic Storm.

Good suggestions so far...a Google on Traditional Irish Dance Music or Cape Breton Fiddle Music should reveal a host of names if you want some search parameters...

Lots of different categories from very traditional to New Age. I prefer the more traditional sounding stuff that is light to acoustic only on the accompaniment no drums beyond the bodhran or tasteful percussion from experts as opposed to dilletantes and a less is more approach to fusion...

Lotsa "Pogues-like" and "Pogues-lite" one off bands out there that I can take or leave...some people like 'em some people hate 'em.

Irish Fiddle:
The Classics - Michael Coleman, James Morrison, et al
Tommy Peoples
Kevin Burke
Ed Reavy
John Vesey
Padraig O'Keefe
Martin Hayes
Paddy Killoran
Sean Keane
Hugh Gillespie

Uilleann Pipes:

Seamus Ennis
Liam O'Flynn
Patsy Touhey
Leo Rowsome
Paddy Keenan
Davy Spillane

Bands:

Planxty
Chieftains
De Dannann
The Corries
Dervish
The Wolfe Tones
Danu
Deanta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Ireland

Not a bad article especially the entry on traditional music... good luck in your search and Slainte mhath.
 Sardukar
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2007 7:04:00 AM
John allen Cameron

and

there is an album called just non discriptly IRISH DRINKING SONGS vol#1 it was preformed by a house band in dublin and they where definatly pissed off ther rocker when they recorded it live in a bar the cover, is just a general snap shot of people sitting at a bar drinking i highly reccomend searhing for it i wish i could give you more information. . .it is still the best i have ever heard. . .

stay away from any **stard who sings songs about that william of orange those arn't the kind of songs you need to be hearing. . .
 NortonG15CS
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/1/2007 2:10:17 PM
Throw out a few more...

Tannahill Weavers
De Dannan
Searson (out of Canada, kick ass celtic)

I'm partial to Rare Air (celtic/jazz/fusion) but it's more pipe music

Pick up some of the Green Linnet sampler CDs if you can find them. Various artist with different styles. Might find a few groups you like.
 Gypsygirl29
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/1/2007 4:04:49 PM
Captain Tractor, local band from Edmonton, if you're into beer drinking Irish songs.
 ShaneyMac
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/3/2007 7:26:58 PM
What's wrong with you people. The Pogues are where it's at. Blending traditional irish music with punk. Pioneers to say the least. All of the east coast Celtic music should thank the Pogues for making that style of music mainstream.
 RDtoo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2007 12:04:14 AM
Peter, I have to agree with the suggestion about Great Big Sea. Their CDs "Up" and "Play" are as good as Celtic music gets. The later albums are not nearly as exciting though.

Also check out a band called "Leahy". They are from Eastern Ontario and the fiddler is one of the best and fastest I have heard. Their albums are a mixed bag though. Half of the songs are brilliant and half are so-so.
 Mister_Right
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/5/2007 10:54:35 PM
Lots of good suggestions on here, so I will not try and repeat any.

For Celtic/Gaelic punk incorporating the fiddle, I recommend the Dropkick Murphys and the Real Mckenzies.

For traditional fiddle music, Cape Breton's living legend Buddy MacMaster.

For other great celtic music you might want to look into Scottish Regimental Marches, and traditional maritime music.
 RDtoo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2007 11:20:14 PM
I have a problem with the Dropkick Murphys. Basically they are a punk band that incorporates some Irish music. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Then there are groups like the Pogues (who started off as a punk band), The Mahones and Flogging Molly who are Irish bands that incorporate punk into it. I personally perfer the latter though I hate classifications.
 Gypsygirl29
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/7/2007 5:00:14 PM
I watched a PBS special on Saturday (I was sick and there was nothing else on really) and it was a concert on a group called Celtic Women. They have amazing voices and the one girl is fantasic on the fiddle. Also check out the McDades, they are a local band from Edmonton and I met them while working on a concert here in town - great peeps and music too.
 countrygrl1
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/8/2007 6:10:11 PM
Wylde Nept, a local band.

The Cheiftains, Enya, Gaelic Storm, Blackmores Night, Jolly Rogers, Flogging Molly if you like Rock/celtic blends.. River dance has some awesome songs on it.

Look up Whiskey in the Jar and see how many bands play that.. its an Irish standard around here.
 capegardengirl
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/10/2007 1:53:07 PM
I was lucky enough to see Loreena McKennitt, Natalie McMaster and Allison Krauss in concert.....I just love the celtic fidder music..Allison's acapello singing is truly haunting....she has such a fantastic band backing her up.... all gorgous music from truly talented women...I havent heard the new Loreena album yet but its on my must do list....I heard she is doing another North American tour soon....listening to her stuff makes me want to travel to distance and exotic lands
 IrishRider83
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/11/2007 10:53:17 PM
Jerry O'sullivan
Irish Rovers
Clannand

i have tons of irish/celtic music
 molly__blooming
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2007 8:07:01 AM
i'd say check out Seamus Egan, he did the music for the film The Brother's McMullen and i have a few of his own releases. i love his style, and always great fiddles.

Black '47 is a great rock n rolly irish band, no fiddles, as i recall, but a wonderful song in honor of 'Maureen' which makes me happy.
 GalwayGirl
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/17/2007 11:50:21 AM
You have already been given a lot of great suggestions. I will suggest you exersise caution with Ashley MacIsaac purchases, he had done some strange stuff recently, but his early stuff is terrific. I'll be seeing him live tonight for a St. Patrick's day celebration in Vancouver. It will be interesting to see what he does depending on whether or not he's sober. I have also seen Natalie MacMaster live, she is terrific. He uncle Buddy MacMaster is considered the all time great of Canadian fiddling. Don Messer is another. When I was in Galway I saw a man who is considered one of the best there; John Carty. Marting Hayes is phenonmenal and if you get the chance to see him live don't miss it! If you are looking to see what fiddlers are playing then check out thesession.org. There are lots of great discussions on various bands, tunes etc.
 Avalon96
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2007 7:18:27 AM
Great fiddle music with Shanneygannock, or the Fables,
have an album by the Chieftans, "Long Black Veil", they have a few guest vocals on this one, Jagger sings the title track, van morrison and others are also featured.
Also an album by Jim Fidler called "Gypsy", worth a listen.
For something completely different,,, Metallica does a version of "Whiskey in the Jar", on Garage Songs,.
 glenmorangie_18
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/17/2007 4:32:41 PM
Shooglenifty hasn't been mentioned yet - Awesome Scottish band that gives a contemporary high energy spin to the trad tunes.

A.
 kaydee_53
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/3/2007 10:27:59 AM
Peterbiltcowboy
Celtic musicians Mark Knopfler, Van Morrison, the Chieftains, Ashley MacIsaaks (not sure if the spelling is correct) Great Big Sea are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, I hope you find this helpful.
 Harlot12
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/27/2009 6:16:05 PM
One I like and didn't on here is The Elders,they make my feet tap
 RDtoo
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2009 10:10:22 PM
The Prodigals are like the official Irish group of New York City. Not punk, but hardcore rock blended with Irish traditional. They have a version of Spancil Hill (Ghostriders in the Sky) which rocks as hard as anything I have ever heard.
 Harlot12
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/5/2009 8:08:10 PM
Needfire and the Trybe two more I like
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Jiggs and Reels , Celtic Music