Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > why,just some, hard boiled egg shells stick.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scoobywho
Msg: 1
why,just some, hard boiled egg shells stick.Page 1 of 1    
I was told the other day that some shells stick to hard boiled eggs because they are too fresh. An egg is best hard boiled after at least a week. An egg is generally good if kept regrigerated for about 5 weeks. Has anyone else come across this problem and have you heard another explaination.
 Play_Day
Msg: 2
why,just some, hard boiled egg shells stick.
Posted: 3/4/2007 10:06:22 PM
Well, In the past I have expierienced the same thing.. But I think I found a remedy to prevent that. When you are finished boiling the eggs and drain the hot water, fill the pot with the cold water to stop the cooking of the eggs - pick up the eggs one by one and drop them in the pot so that the shell cracks, letting the cooler water to get into the shell. Everytime I've done this, I never had a shell stick, and can peel the egg with one hand - its that easy.
 workerbee68
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2007 12:03:28 AM
I do 12 minunte boiled eggs. After they boil I shock them under cold running water which allow the thin inner layer to separate from the egg white. One nice crack on the side of the egg and it should open in only two pieces.
 grits37g
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/5/2007 7:37:43 AM
Thanks for all the ideas. I had given up on making one of my favorite appetizers because of the sticking egg shells. Now if someone would start a thread about the black ring around the yoke...
 ShadeMan
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/5/2007 7:51:59 AM
Hi Scooby

There are a million old wives tales on this. Know from being in the chicken business that the chicken's diet is the governing factor. Info from a nutritionist with more degrees than a thermometer. Hope I didn't ruin the fun :-)

ShadeMan
 ShadeMan
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/5/2007 7:55:07 AM
Any discoloration around the yolk either green or darker topward black is from overcooking.

Bring the eggs to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 17 minutes then cold rinse for a hard boil.

Shade
 grits37g
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/5/2007 8:28:53 AM

Hope I didn't ruin the fun :-)

We are still having fun. I even know some folks who think a college degree makes them smart.
 grits37g
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/5/2007 8:39:21 AM

Bring the eggs to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 17 minutes then cold rinse for a hard boil.

Why 17 minutes? Any particular reason?
 RoseBoots
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/12/2007 10:34:42 AM
scooby.. that is exactly true. I used to have laying hens, and if I wanted to make pickled eggs, and peel about 6 dozen, I would keep them in the fridge for at least two weeks before boiling them. They peel much nicer when they are not fresh.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/12/2007 11:04:18 AM
[/Why 17 minutes? Any particular reason?]
because...
actually what i do is boil mine rapidly for 10 minutes then cool immediately in cold tap water and let'em sit till they are cool to the touch...
 masseur21752
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/12/2007 12:18:08 PM
The dark ring around the yolk comes from cooking the egg too long.
 luminryl
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/12/2007 12:24:58 PM
I grew up on a farm and it is true that they are hard to shell when fresh. I know get my eggs from a local farmer, free range and cheaper than store bought. If I know they are to be shelled then I let them age at least ten days and then bring them to a boil, remove from heat and let stand 13 minutes then drop into ice water. I still get the occasional stubborn one but for the most part it works. It is alway a good idea to boil more than you need if presentation is a question. I know my son doesn't mind eating the "damaged" ones.

The ring can be caused from over boiling. I have not had that problem since doing it the way I described above.
 ShadeMan
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/12/2007 1:25:06 PM
Lazy

Same as boiling them 10 min except can just shut off the stove and do something else.
 sunsetstormx
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/12/2007 1:43:24 PM
Here's what I do

Boil water........do not put the eggs in until it's boiling.
THEN....take it off the heat before you add the eggs. Add the eggs next and cover. Set the timer for however long you usually do. I think it's 15-17 minutes. Then emmerse them in cold water and do the edd drop cracking so the shells won't stick. Leave set for a few 5 minutes or so and remove. That's it.... Walla!
 beegee62
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/12/2007 1:57:51 PM
Several here have mentioned cracking the eggs after cooking and adding to cold water. That does help quite a bit. Another thing I recently heard of that nobody has mentioned, but also makes quite a difference is to add a couple of shakes of salt to your water before adding the eggs.
 wolf river
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/12/2007 2:05:29 PM
The shell will stick to a fresher egg. I start mine out in cold water (I'm lazy) and as soon as they are done, around 12 minutes, I drain them in a collander, then let cold water run over them for a few minutes, or set them in ice water.
 cutiepieMS
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/12/2007 2:16:00 PM
hey the best way to peel a hard boiled egg is to drain the water out crack the eggs while running cold water on them they will slip right out of the shell hardly any sticking
 cutiepieMS
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/12/2007 2:17:34 PM
you must be one of those who doesn't have that degree. ummm jealous maybe??
 KingfishRex
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/12/2007 2:58:38 PM
Yeah, I think the trick is to boil the water and then put the eggs in. Use a spoon to lower them in so they don't hit the bottom of the pot and crack to early. Also, lower them in slowly, so they don't crack from rapid temperature change. I tend to put them in cold water after boiling just to bring the temperature down, but I didn't know that it made the egg easier to peel. Thanks!
 bell_popcorn
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/12/2007 8:14:15 PM
puting a teaspoon of vingar in the pan when cooking will helps with fresh eggs. I don't know what it does but my grandmother did it when useing fresh eggs. She didn't have any problems peeling a fresh egg.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/12/2007 9:29:47 PM
My grandma taught me this trick for peeling hard boiled eggs. Tap them on the end where the bubble is (I can't remember which end it is right now) so it cracks then roll it gently on a plate or other hard surface until the shell is all cracked then peel it (a plate works best because you'll often get little bits of shell fall off, they'll fall off onto the plate making for easy clean up). I have rarely had a problem with the shell sticking, even to fresh eggs.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > why,just some, hard boiled egg shells stick.