Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > POF, Privacy, and Google.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yellowfrog
Msg: 1
view profile
History
POF, Privacy, and Google.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm not wanting to disturb a hornet's nest here, but the last half hour has thrown up some serious concerns about the privacy of POF and other dating sites.

I was bored, and thought I'd Google my username for a laugh, just to see if anything for me appeared in the results. I was quite shocked to find that two of the results on the first page were links to my profile and to a list of all of my forum posts on here. Being a bit of a nerd, I had to extend the experiment using some of my favourites, to reduce the margin of error in the results, and in 5 out of the six usernames I searched on, there were links to POF on the first page, as well as a couple of links to L00py Love.

Not good, especially if you're married and looking for a bit of fluff. Might be a good idea to delete your profile if you fall into that category
 yellowfrog
Msg: 2
view profile
History
POF, Privacy, and Google.
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:24:04 PM
You, on here, are the top three results:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Laneyxxx&btnG=Search&meta=
 andyaa
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2007 3:48:09 PM
Why does ever1 on here seem to find things back to front. I joined here because of google. I was quite happy googlin around trying to find out somthing about ,, well cant remember now and I found this forum, I wanted to post somthing so had to join. You will find that these sites use lots of meta tags, almost into the spam region so will get to the top of most search engines. People seem to use the internet as if its their private gateway to the world, when in fact it can lead people into a false sence of security. You might say somthin in here which will be read by a much bigger audience.

Like they always say a little knowledge is dangerous!
 VioletSkye
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2007 8:31:15 PM
It is all about the money and turning info over to Google and other search engines for big bucks.

Sucks big time.
 andyaa
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2007 1:26:52 AM
MSG 13:

It is all about the money and turning info over to Google and other search engines for big bucks.

Sucks big time.

Actually its nothing to do with advertising and big bucks. Web sites use somthin called meta tags which the search engines pick up on to list the pages,, the more meta tags the higher the listing in theory. There are other tricks to get higher listings. The money is made by google if POF uses the sponsor bit which is premium if you click through this but i dont think they do. POF make money by things like you see on the im which flash across the bottom an advertising banner.

MSG 16:

well done you are a googlewack, 1 reply from a search request. Actually I know this is inacurate as you need two words, but give me a break its close enough
 OBird
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/8/2007 5:33:10 AM
I've just Googled myself (and, yes, I'm having a ciggy now!), and got bored after looking at 15 pages which didn't have anything to do with me.

That's a relief, I'd hate for either of my husbands to find me on this site.....

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > POF, Privacy, and Google.