Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Going back to school in your 30's....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 behind deep blue eyes
Msg: 3
Going back to school in your 30's....Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Nowadays, continued learning throughout our adult lives is more commonplace. Technology and society changes so rapidly now, and with that, skills need to keep up with the new and changing demands.

I, for one, think it is great to further your education during adulthood. It is never too late to learn new skills or hone existing ones.

I think that employers and the like are more accepting of adult graduates as it shows they have a willingness to continuous improvement. Adult students are more serious about their education, and more focused, IMO. Education coupled with vast life experience makes for a well rounded and much sought after employee!

I too have decided to continue my education in my 30's...I have an honours diploma from College from 1993, and a BA in Psych from 1999, and have recently decided to seek Post-Graduate studies which will utilize my life skills as well as my college and university educations! A win win situation me thinks! Long-term, this will mean better pay, and a more fulfilling carreer experience.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 6
Going back to school in your 30's....
Posted: 3/9/2007 11:59:41 AM
Kudos to you^^^^ all of you, who have the courage and determination to go for it! Especially single Moms. Three cheers for all of you!!!

I know people, including two of my sisters, who went back to school in their 30's. They are all doing very well now.
 angelic_devil32
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/9/2007 3:45:33 PM
I start school next monday. I am nervous. It is nice to hear I am not the only over 30 person taking the chance on returning to college. Did anyone else wonder if they were making the right decision when you returned to school?

Now just to win the lottery to pay the tuition!
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2007 9:15:33 AM
Last year I took my grade twelve (never finished high school). I finished with a 94 average and was valedictorian of my class. It was tough at first, as I have two small children. Once I got into the swing of it, I absolutely loved it. And I found out I was actually pretty smart...

This fall I'm planning to attend University, I want to go into the pharmacy program. It'll be tough, it's a five year course, but the way I see it is I wasted almost twenty years accomplishing squat, five years is a drop in the bucket.

I am nervous though, because I've heard the program is pretty tough...

Bottom line: I want my kids to be proud of their mom, I want a stable future, and hopefully they won't make the same mistakes I did. I can honestly say though that at eighteen, or twenty, or even twenty-five, I wasn't ready for this. I now have the discipline and drive to put my all into doing the best job I can.

Good luck to all of you, it's a fantastic journey we are all on.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2007 10:52:41 AM
I went back to school at age 33 for one year. Probably one of the smartest things I can say I have done. Having the extra education helped my career along.

It isn't easy going back to school after so many years even without having to support a family.

But you really have to want it.
 upstream
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/11/2007 7:00:27 PM
I'd always thought about going to university, but didn't know what I wanted to take (too many interests). So I wandered around the work force for 10 years hoping to discover my life's calling. Instead, I found a job that was okay, but not wonderful, met my husband, got married and was preparing to start a family. When we found out he was terminally ill, I realized just how short life is and started to seriously reassess what I wanted to do with it.

To make a long story short, after he passed away I decided it was time to bite the bullet and finally go back to school. It would have been all too easy to talk myself out of going, but at 30 I just packed up, sold my home, moved 700km away to attend school in a new city and am completely satisfied with my decision. I've actually picked a direction to go in instead if just waiting to see where the wind blows me. Admittedly, I miss my old paycheck and social circle, but I'm doing what I have to in order to make the lifestyle changes I've been craving for years.

The hardest part for me has just been homework - not so much the load but the fact that my day never really seems to end. When you have a job, you can leave stuff behind at the office at the end of the day. With school, you have to bring everything home with you and that's where the work begins, lol.
 Cynderella
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2007 8:16:08 AM
Can't teach an old dog...that's me!
 rockondon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2007 8:23:07 PM
I'm 34 and a nursing student.
I love college. Going back to school was the best decision I ever made.
 randomstoic
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/17/2007 12:25:43 AM
I have taught at the university level for a number of years and I can tell you tha re-entry students are among the best and the most hard-working. Any prof who does not know this must be so tenured that they are calcified.
 Chapstik
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/17/2007 9:45:12 AM
After 8 years of marriage I became a single dad of 2 . 1 month after our seperation I bought a house, maintained my fulltime job and decided to look into a trade (power engineering). They offered some courses online (since I dropped out of highschool I couldn't take a fulltime day course load.) so online was my next option. I'll admit I do find it tough to keep myself focused and motivated to sit down after a long day work and running kids to soccer and such, but it will get done. lol

Good luck to you all that have taken this step to better your selves and your situations.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2007 10:09:38 AM
What a great thread!! Hats off to you, OP and anyone else returning to either start a new program or finish up one.
I went back to college in my mid 30s, graduate school early 40's and also taught college part time nights for 3 years.
I think in some ways the "mature" learners have some advantages as they've had more life experience and learned to cope with obligations and responsibilities. I don't think there's anytime that enhancing your education could ever be a bad thing.
Remember an investment in yourself is an investment you can never lose.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2007 7:46:56 PM
The times I've gone back to school...the last thing I thought about was age. Had much more on my plate...I do understand...and so totally enjoyed my teaching experience. My "oldest" student..Isabell...what a JOY!! The other students were so supportive and we all enjoyed her so much. She was so excited and a little overwhelmed..as her instructor I spent time with her and reassured her so much...she so undersold herself. It'd had just been so long...and the computer classes...returning to school..it was a lot for her to deal with.
But she was such a bright light, the time I spent with her one on one, was just so amazing. She had such spirit, such enthusiasm...and just needed the reasurance that she could DO it, she WAS capable. I remember the ceremony when she graduated. It's one of those times you never forget. I was so proud of her, that she didn't quit, and the standing ovation she got when her name was called she totally deserved. She worked for it, she earned it, I'm just glad I was there and shared it with her.
So don't let anything, anyone ever hold you back. She SO inspired me, that is one of ths stellar experiences of my teaching career.
 that sam i am
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/11/2007 4:54:41 PM
at the ripe old age of 30, I went back to college to finish my degree. I get to date 20 year olds from school. How cool is that?!
 suzisk8
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/28/2007 2:29:02 AM
I'm 40 and this spring semester was my first full load semester in over 20 yrs. It has been the semester from hell. I was sick for the first four weeks with bronchitis and for the past two weeks dealing with an abscessed tooth. I have nearly given up, but my professors have been very supportive and encouraging. I know I can do this, I still have a long way to go.
Kudos to everyone, and you can do it!
 play_it_again_sam
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/28/2007 4:03:11 AM
Really glad to see this thread pop up. Appreciate people sharing their experiences.
Yesterday I completed my aptitude test and the gentleman conducting the test was amazed at my abilities and just how smart I am(yes I was blushing). I am returning to school due to workplace injury and so figured that I would only be allowed to go through college and my plans were for EA or Child Socialologist. He informed me yesterday that he is strongly reccommending to my adjuticator that I go to University for a teacher instead due to my talents and interests. Wow was I shocked!!!
So waiting to see what happens-but it is going to be weird going to University at age 36/37. Having 2 children and dealing with their homework-gonna be alot of hard work.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/28/2007 11:52:05 AM
I have. Not for any of the reasons like divorce, but because I started hating what I did for a living and decided to switch.

It's very hard. Not so much the schoolwork, but sitting with all the cool kids in the class being 10+ older than them. Kills the ego a little.
 peacefulwlife
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/29/2007 12:59:55 AM
Yeppers, after the divorce. 12 years out of school. It was scary, nerve racking and awesome..Went to Davenport U..Let me do this take out test, see where you stand academically and if you can fore go the basics..Who knew..Straight to the major..Thrilled..Hard though. Worked an average of 50 hours, took 5 full time classes, 18. 25 credit hours. Stayed on the deans list..It was so much easier than I thought it would be..I loved the never ending changes which challenged my mind, oh my yes, legal field..

Except for the Latin which tripped me up at first, All of my instructors let me work ahead. By the 2nd term, I was (yep Way Gloating here) ready for finals at mid terms..Maintained a 3.98...NO LIFE...I do mean NO LIFE...Exhausted, CRANKY...Coffee addict, 3 pots a day just to keep the toothpicks in place..Couldn't let those eyelids shut or the brain shut off.

Work at 3 am until 5 pm, school from 5:30 pm to 10 pm, M,Tues, and Thurs. Wed was 5 :15 until 8:30 pm..Home, inhale a shelf of the frig, drink a pot of coffee, begin homework. Slept from 12 until 3. I was LATE a lot...lol..Ended up changing my hours to not going in until 4 am..THEN to 5 am...(Had a GREAT boss) Back to back 3 terms, finished out a 2 yr degree. I was MOTIVATED...(FAT raise).. boyfriend left me, friends faded into the horizon, family called to see if I was alive, at work..Used to let loose and go out Friday nights until 11, sleep until 12noon, go to lab at school til they closed at 5pm, go home, make a pot of coffee, drink it. Homework until 2, 3 or 4 am..Slept all day Sunday.. They told me to allow for 3 hours of homework per class. It was at least that. The only way was to work through it quickly and get out. FAST!(used to do homework on lunches, breaks and during classes for other classes). NUTS..

Yeah, it Was GREAT!! And yes, I'd do it all over again...But I'm an adrenaline JUNKIE..Okay I do love the stress of deadlines..

BEST of LUCK...You'll do Wonderful...Keep it positive, upbeat and remember, it does come to an end...

Take names, kick butt, and try to remember where you left your memory...((SMILE))

Peace (ful)
 Vancer
Msg: 56
To:pianogal73...
Posted: 4/29/2007 9:34:36 AM
I'm going to take evening courses this autumn for work related stuffs.
It's never too late to take courses.
Last evening course I took was a few years ago and I was one of the younger ones there.
 harleycwgrl74
Msg: 57
To:pianogal73...
Posted: 4/29/2007 10:23:13 AM
I was maried for 10yrs had a really great job and then all of went POOF ...gone...So now I have a chance to make a new start for myself. Iwill not be returning to work full time, I will however begin school full time. I have managed to put some money up, I am getting rid of the "keeping up with the Jone's" S.U.V. and I am going to get a little beater that is great on gas. I am putting all or nothing into my education! Good luck to you in your decision as well!
 HikingFitGuy
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/30/2007 5:02:43 AM
Im thinking of going back to do some study part time as I work full time. I know I am 33, but I still feel like an 18 year old trying to find a decent career path.

You never stop learning.
 liveyourlife
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 6:55:48 AM
I 'm hoping to go back to school in the fall to complete two programs that I started 5 and 10 years ago. If all goes well I could be working for the government in the new year (alot better than retail -- I think so...lol)
 southpaw75
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/22/2007 5:28:23 PM
I am 32 and just started uni back in November. Let me tell you, online classes are where it is at. With the randomness of my work hours, online works so much better for me. Come next July, I will have my AA done in IT and will be working towards my BS. You are never to old to go back to school.
 komodo
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2007 2:57:48 PM
Here i thought I was the only crazy 40+ yr old to do the back to school thing.... These days I think of myself as a professional student......
 harleycwgrl74
Msg: 82
Posted: 8/26/2007 12:06:12 AM
I was just accepted into a nursing program which was very very difficult to get into. I havent really had the opportunity till now to do this. I am very thankful for my situation which will now allow me to become something more. I am excited and nervous however I know I will do well and the struggle will be worth it! oh and BTW I will be 33 in a few months.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/26/2007 6:19:08 PM
I didn't get my grad degree til I was 38. I'd probably go back for my Ph.d if I had nothing better to do ~ but I'm sort of schooled out. It's never too late though.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Going back to school in your 30's....