Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you ever get too 'old' for single sites?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ron9
Msg: 2
Do you ever get too 'old' for single sites?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
OMG - I will now forget I saw this too old topic.

But while I am here ...

subliminal message >>> geezers are the new fashion statement - get yours now and make all your girl friends green with envy.
 alicenocala
Msg: 3
Do you ever get too 'old' for single sites?
Posted: 3/15/2007 3:13:19 PM
well don't know about you I'm 71 and don't feel I'm too old for the sites...good luck..Alice
 alicenocala
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/15/2007 3:14:33 PM
Well Ron if you are a Geezer.... bring em on... Alice
 Frannie53
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/15/2007 6:39:07 PM

Never would I lower my standards to get a date, even if it means I stay dateless.
I am not shallow any more than you are, but I know what you are saying. However, one has to "like" what they "see" for it to go past the friendship stage. And that is fine with me. Getting to know someone and it only turning out to be friendship is not wasting time, in my opinion.
 summerbout
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/16/2007 1:13:20 PM
This is the very first time I have ever tried dating sites. I joined about five months ago. And to be honest, I am not so sure I will meet a partner here, but I do enjoy the forums. There are some great people at POF, who have some wonderful things to add to the forums. So if I do not find a partner, atleast I was able to visit the forums, which to me are a great way to spend free time. There is such a wide variety of subjects and threads to read and add your own comments to.

I have a ways to go before I will feel I am too old to vist Plenty of Fish, I just hope in that time more people from my area learn about the site, it has so much to offer. Even if you walk away with new friends it was worth it.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/16/2007 10:59:57 PM
... Your never too old to meet someone and fall in love. A lady that used to do the cleaning in our building just recently got back from Mexico, she spent a month out there with her 76 year old boyfriend, shes 73. They are so cute together, and their happy, thats whats important....

...maeflowers
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/17/2007 12:16:14 AM
I don't think I'm too old, but there's nothing good on T.V., so I get on here instead. It's better than being on a bad date.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2007 3:57:45 PM
I didn't realize that single sites came with an upper age range restriction. I don't believe you ever get too old to enjoy meeting people who find themselves in situations similar to your own situation.

What I do find about single sites is that, after a while, they become stale. For those of us that have been longer term members of sites such as these, we have probably seen it all come around two or three times, if not more. The same topics, the same faces and so on. Then again, sites such as these become the fodder and/or topic of the day or month for other "offshoot" sites. It's always best to take a rest when staleness sets in.

Tink
 OxDrover
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/18/2007 4:24:45 PM
I agree tinkerbell--here in Arkansas I have seen the SAME faces for the last nerly a year on all the sites, free, semi-free and paid.

Most of the forums sound like Jerry Springer show though.

Ron's one of the few "real" guys 0n here and he lives too far away! ha ha

I guess where there's life, there's hope, in the meantime I'll just keep on fishing, at least off and on.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/19/2007 6:29:21 PM

Age is just a number anyway. I have friends who are many years younger than I am and they not only look, but actually act a whole lot older than they seem

..I couldn't agree with you more.....age is a number, your as old as you feel. I have said to myself many times, "Ican't believe I am 50 something, when did that happen?" I certainly don't feel like my age, however thats supposed to feel. I still enjoy going out...meeting people, thats why I am here.... as you , to hopefully meet people, make new friends....maybe find that special someone. I know one thing for sure, I'm not going to if I don't put forth some effort.

...maeflowers
 canyunflyer
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2007 8:46:12 AM
Absolutely Not.

I get your frustrations (OP) and concerns. I think all of us can feel that way at times. It comes with the territory. I happen to believe that the Creator didn't mean for us to be 'single and looking' at 60 years old. Its probably not a Natural condition. We just wern't built that way. But, here we are..and thats the way it is. We have to deal with it...and learn the ropes as best as possible.

there are lots of 'thinking traps' we can fall into. We need to learn about them and avoid them. (Ie: all men are liars and cheats..etc). Its a brand new road ahead, for all of us. We need to stop checking our rear view mirrors do damn much. And, get out and wash that windshield a lot more! Keeep our 'vehicles' in as good of shape as we can... and enjoy the wonderful scenery! This is a journey we are on. Its a shame that many of us miss a lot of the exciting travel because we don't like the terrain or we are too impatient about 'getting there'. We only get to make this trip....Once.
 readyfordating
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/20/2007 12:01:26 PM
Ldy and Ox...........You keep hanging out here! Otherwise I wouldn't have much intelligent life to talk to!..........and Ldy, we have many rider friendly roads up here in MD!
 Celticmist
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/21/2007 8:11:32 AM
Dating, going out, falling in love are just a part of life - when I am dead and buried, maybe I will be too old then - then again maybe not, depends on your idea of the afterlife
I had a grandmother who married for the second time in her 70's and an aunt who married at 82 - they didn't think they were too old.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/21/2007 11:19:23 AM
You are only too old if you think you are too old.
 nickg45
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2007 12:24:44 PM
There's the fantasy of our lives, and the realities of our lives, I can't speak for everyone ,but the older I get the more in tune to what's important in my life, let's just say our priorities change
 isla~maiden
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2007 12:45:37 PM
LIB...... Yes but..... As we age we also realize that every moment that we have fun we are the most alive. Never too old for fun or meeting someone new or even just talking to a stranger. It might just mean that we learn something new today. What else do I have to do when I am stuck at work with a computer at hand or late at night when the rest of the world is in bed. May as well browse all these personable gents. And maybe, just maybe that "love of my life" will emerge.
hugs to ya, isla~maiden
 rossal
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/21/2007 1:05:27 PM
I will NEVER lower my standards....and I will always consider myself "eye candy"----and I am 60 (what a shock)...LOL!

If only...in MY eyes

Smiles n Grins, Rossal
 wlv12306
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/21/2007 4:06:05 PM
As long as you can kick start the bike you're not to old.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/22/2007 6:33:20 AM
I have noticed that many men want younger women.

Know what's funny about older men who advertise for younger women? The vast majority of them look older than they really are. They say they are 55, but they have those skinny gray ponytails and big beer bellies and look 60. I think they are lying about their ages.

I hope they have lots of money--the only younger women whom they will attract are golddiggers and women who do not appeal to their peers (read into that whatever you wish).

Age is much more than a number--if you don't think so, date a man 29 years younger than you who wants kids. However, it doesn't mean that you can't and won't have something in common with younger men or women. Fifteen years is nothing, but anyone who limits him/herself to younger people or older people are potentially missing out on people with whom they would mesh.

Too old for single sites?

No way.

By the way, women like Rossal (did I spell it right) and Libran and some others whom I see posting in these forums are changing the way the world looks at "older" women. More power to us!
 NapJoe
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/6/2007 5:41:39 AM
Ah, you're never too old for love and sex. And all the good things in between.

"So, I'm asking myself, and now this group, "do you ever get too old for single sites"? Does there come a time when, whether it's free or not, one is wasting their time and hopes of ever finding a decent S.O.? Do you have to lower your standards to get a date? Do you need to start overlooking the pot bellies, illiterate profiles and classless enudendos to chat with someone?

I know the older we get, the less we have to choose from but, good Lord, am I the only 60 year old still breathing?
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/6/2007 7:38:49 PM
Before I was married (10 years ago) I went to australia to meet a girl, and a couple places in the states. This time around I'm keeping it to places I can drive.
 LAChicklet
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2007 8:46:31 PM
I'm in my 50's and am divorced, so that makes me single. I don't think I'll ever think I'm too old to fall in love again, and won't give up trying. My parents live in a local retirement hotel. The average age there is 85, and people are still falling in love with each other there (the single ones).
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/8/2007 3:18:25 AM
I'm guessing not, lol! Last night I chanced across a profile of a gentleman in his mid 80's looking for a little fishie 22 to 35, so clearly hope springs eternal.

civic2004
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/11/2007 3:06:56 AM
I agree with the original poster that dating 10 years ago and I was about 40, the online dating worked well for me. It seemed like I did a lot of the rejecting than the woman rejecting me.

But since 9-11, people have gotten increasing more suspicious that you are going to kidnap them. It is like pulling teeth just to get a cell number (and it is never answered as a rule).

As I head into my 50's, I find that while I have written as good or better profiles than I did in my 40's, it has been short of impossible to get a date. Even TV shows are saying 'our son finally found a girlfriend-it was on May 10's ER)

And I think that people have become unrealistic on dating and want someone that no one would have a chance of getting. I know that I will never (or want) to date a super model).

I want someone in 'my league' and while I have a decent retirement income, I am not rich. And it seems women have gotten more greedy as we progressed into the new century.

I am ready to quit the dating game. I will give poe a little while longer but after being on this site and getting replies from women that my profile was 'so down to earth' and I send more personal info and I may get another reply-usually two or three sentences. And if I am really lucky, we talk on the phone.

I actually did go on a date last month. And it would have been nice if it had worked out. We both live in small towns about 5 miles from each other.

But she said that we might be friends but nothing is likely to happen between use and she also said that she still doesn't know what she wants in life (and she was 45 years old-at that age you should have a general idea of what you want out of life)..But having been on and off poe for a couple of years and getting the one date is horrible.

And it is not just poe. I tried match.com and it's the same. Except you pay for the service.

So I am going to keep trying until 2008 and then I may travel in hopes of meeting a foreign woman that might take an interest in me.

I had a pen pal (woman) write that European women are more gentle on the men.

Personally I am tired of the Alpha moms and women workaholics who live for their job.

In a few years after you hit 50 or so, you start looking back and say to yourself 'I wish I had not been so picky.' All I have now is a cat for company and I ran off all the decent guys that were really seeking romance. By being too picky or unrealistic.
 Camile2099
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/16/2017 5:46:31 PM

So, I'm asking myself, and now this group, "do you ever get too old for single sites"? Does there come a time when, whether it's free or not, one is wasting their time and hopes of ever finding a decent S.O.? Do you have to lower your standards to get a date? Do you need to start overlooking the pot bellies, illiterate profiles and classless enudendos to chat with someone?

There are a lot of men over 70 on this site. However, finding one who is literate, has class, and can communicate is a different story. But I don't think there is an age where you're too old for the search.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do you ever get too 'old' for single sites?