Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Vasectomy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TruckMan123
Msg: 1
VasectomyPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I dont plan on having children at all for at least 5 more years and I really enjoy sex but I still get nervouse about condoms breaking or other birth control failing. I am thinking about doing a vasectomy because I have read insurance covers it. But I want to know how effective is a vasectomy? Also I want to know about what it costs, and also how effective is reversal?
 honest_nice_guy
Msg: 2
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 10:25:31 AM
its your call but i wouldnt mess with nature and assume the reversability of it. I may get bashed for this but... I think the frequency of 'broken condum pregnancy' is inflated.
 DestinNewbee
Msg: 5
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 12:13:26 PM
FYI: A vasectomy will increase your chances of prostate cancer.
 familiarface
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 12:23:39 PM
If you like to have more information you can check this link on the Wikipedia (Enciclopedia over the internet); On the definition also you can check other useful links that the article has attached :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wike/Vasectomy
 Augiedougie
Msg: 9
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 1:53:06 PM
Expecting to get it reversed? Don't count on it being successful. As was said earlier the built up scar tissue may not allow proper reconnection of the vas deferens
I had one done when I was in my late 30's and don't regret it at all. It's safe, reliable and you don't have to worry about pregnancy (at least it's the most effective method that I know). Make sure you have a sperm count done AFTER you have had it done, just to make sure it was totally successful.
The part about getting prostate cancer from having one may be true, but then ALL men if they live long enough will have some sort of changes in their prostate. Studies have not shown that that it does cause prostate cancer. The few that have shown that were flawed in their sampling.
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 4:36:39 PM
If you think you may want to have kids in the future, i wouldn't. Like was said before, getting it reversed is not a simple process and you may not be able to get it reversed. That would be a rude awakening if the doctor told you that he was not able to reverse it I bet.

I too, donot want kids, but I am also aware that my feeling, while I doubt it, could possible change in the future. So, a Vasectomy is something that, while I thought about it, I hink I am going to hold off until either I know for sure me and whoever I plan on being with does not want kids, or I am just too old to want kids. lol

But yea, make sure, 100% that it's what you want. And remember, we all change our minds sometimes.

Remember all those relationships that were supposed to last forever? People change.
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 14
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 4:47:42 PM
I'm a HUGE advocate of vasectomys, but only for men who have already had children and don't plan on having more. In that case, I would beg and plead with my man to have one.

You, however, do want children. I wouldn't count on the reversal working. Don't gamble man.
 SunnyShann
Msg: 17
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 7:47:24 PM
My ex had a vasectomy before we met, he had it at age 21... Kinda scary thought. He had a lot of issues for years after, and when he finally had it reversed, it cost about $4000 for the reversal, and it didn't work anyway. So if you are planning on having kids at some point, use some other form of birth control.
 Geometro69
Msg: 19
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/18/2007 8:32:29 PM
Hey, I had a V done after My ex and I were done having kids and suggest not going for it unless you are 100 percent sure you will never want to Father kids.
It was a very humbling surgery, by that I mean I felt like a Pitt Bull that was put in it's place, not really, I was uncomfortable with the Doctor and Nurse working downstairs tugging away.
The pain was gone in a few days but I cannot immagine every going through surgery to reverse the process. I was asked a few years ago and refused. Once was more than enough and definately 100 percent......Cheers...Geo
 TruckMan123
Msg: 20
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/19/2007 6:19:19 AM
I think I have decided not to do it. After reading some opinions here and reading about what it takes to have it reversed and also the cost. It is cheap and fast to do but reversal is expensive and has a small risk of not working. I was thinking a lot of men got vasectomys and later had them reversed.

I think I will go to the local adult toy store and invest in one of those realistic puzzys lol. My sex life is already about non existent with my current gf but that is another issue lol.
 TruckMan123
Msg: 21
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/19/2007 7:24:06 AM
^^^ Our sex life used to be awesome. If we had sex less than 2 times in a day when we were together then there was something wrong. I am lucky now to get it once or twice a week and usually it is selfish sex where she gets what she wants but doesnt want to put much effort into it.

But a relationship isnt all about sex and I figure I will find other alternatives and that does not include cheating. If I feel the urge to cheat then I need to leave. But the good news is that a toy is there at all times and will never say no lol.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 22
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/19/2007 7:25:28 AM
If there is a chance you will want kids in the future most docs won't even consider doing one. My husband and I actually had to beg for his when he was 26, we had three children (only one is his biologically but he adopted the other 2) because they said he was awfully young to make such a decision. They finally did it and I got to watch. There is no way it could be anything but effective!
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 23
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/21/2007 11:38:14 AM
Yes, but that is why you can always have DNA testing done if one does fail. LOL...yeah, I suppose so, not sure if that is a normal practice or not (the wife watching) but we are a military family (done on base with a military doc) and knew the doc really well too.......I got to hold his hand through the entire thing. :)
 marg_mh_ab
Msg: 24
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/21/2007 1:33:59 PM
Nothing is %100 full proof except keeping willy in your pants!!!!

Also I know of a fellow whose vasectomy failed after 10 years resulting in a beauitful baby...What I like about a vasectomy is that the semem tastes beter, there's no unpleasant after taste....no stickiness
 1desertdog
Msg: 25
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/21/2007 8:27:25 PM
If you want kids wait, I've been snipped, And no my balls didn't swell up like grapfruit.
 iwillkeepuguessing
Msg: 27
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 4:37:06 AM
I always disucss with my patients that they should assume this is forever. Most insurance companies pay for the sterilization but not for the reversal which can also be costly! In addition, reversals don't always work! There are many other birth control options that are avaiable and very effective and think you should consider something less permanent if you may want children one day or if you meet someone wanting children.
 that sam i am
Msg: 28
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 11:38:25 AM
nevermind about insurance. the cost of a vasectomy is generally less than one or two months of child support.
 shinjorai
Msg: 29
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 11:46:17 AM

I dont plan on having children at all for at least 5 more years and I really enjoy sex but I still get nervouse about condoms breaking or other birth control failing. I am thinking about doing a vasectomy because I have read insurance covers it. But I want to know how effective is a vasectomy? Also I want to know about what it costs, and also how effective is reversal?

Ive got a vasectomy because i have two kids already and didnt want anymore. what somebody mentioned about not counting on the reversability of it is true. I didnt even realize it was reversable. Not that i plan on getting that done anyways but, if i was you and you havent had kids just wait, i know sex without condoms is great but its not worth the chance you may make it where you can never have kids and trust me i know a lot of people out there wanting to have kids that arent able and theyre miserable because of it. They end up going through a bunch of red tape to adopt and the list goes on and on. I feel your pain on the condom thing though i hate those myself. But seriously skip the vasectomy for now until you have kids then look into it later. You dont realize it now but later on youll be glad you didnt get one until AFTER the kids. Either way man good luck to you.

Kornbred
 8shooter1
Msg: 30
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 11:59:57 AM
Skip the Vasectomy ! Too young for that. Just roll her over and use the back door till your ready to have children. ( She won't Mind!)
 TR421
Msg: 31
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:30:57 PM
They are very effective! I only wish I had gotten mine earlier!
 Realityissubjective
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:59:19 PM
Didnt see any mention of Sperm Bank donations. Is that a possiblity, cuz Im not sure how that works?
I been shooting blanks for over 10 years... No physical side effects to date.
 davidofark
Msg: 33
Vasectomy
Posted: 6/5/2007 11:45:06 PM
I had one - it isnt a "huge incision", you can watch them do it. It has worked marvelously for me, after years of using a damned diaphragm. But reversing them is close to pointless. Doesnt work.
 retroframe
Msg: 34
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:35:56 PM
Had mine done about a year ago. Consider it 100% effective. After the proceedure you will be fertile for a few more weeks. Remember your sperm are microscopic. Millions could fit on the head of a pin. It takes a few weeks to flush out the stray (or overeager) ones. If you get decide to get one.; make sure you follow-up with a fertility test about two months after the proceedure.

The reversal is very expensive, and usually not that effective.

I don't have children, nor wanted them I after the age of 35. I spent about $200.00 for the proceedure. Planned Parenthood and Society for the Preservation of Equal Rights for Men (SPERM) paid for the rest. I had to attend a counseling, explaining the proceedure. I also got the usual earful about how "children are the future" nonsense.

GO VHEM!
 Liljoe
Msg: 35
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:49:33 PM
check out this site..this dr is in fla.... might give you some ideas..
www.vasweb.com
 White_Scorpion
Msg: 36
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/11/2009 9:48:39 AM
I plan on having one done imminently. My urologist was very upfront and honest with me about it. He has been doing vasectomies for more than 20 years. He said he would have one or two failures per year in the past and that many possible techniques used resulted in unnecessary complications. If you do a little background research, you will find that complications are much more common than people have been led to believe, although they are rarely if ever serious (some are chronic though like PVPS).

I think a big key to the success rate of the operation has to do with the surgeon and specifically whether or not fascial interposition is used. I have also seen studies showing cautery to be very effective although my urologist noticed some recanalization after cauterizing both ends and more importantly noticed an increased rate of complications. The procedure that I have scheduled will be a basic open vasectomy with fascial interposition. Seems like that will do what is possible to minimize complications while maximizing the chance of success.

Though you may reach azoospermia after 20 ejaculations or so, many strongly suggest not relying on vasectomy as a sole means of birth control until at least 6 months have gone by. Recanalization is most likely to happen within the first year. After that, I feel it is pretty rare. I also plan to purchase the FDA approved Spermcheck product that allows me to test at home for added comfort and reliability. It costs less than $50 shipped and has options for fertility, contraception and vasectomy (basically differences in calibration). When things reattach, they usually show sperm count. Little to no sperm count means very little chance of pregnancy.

In a way, a vasectomy can be thought of similar to many other forms of BC. When performed properly and when the patient takes appropriate action to ensure sterility, the procedure is fairly effective. Go at it haphazardly and you get complications and poor results.

If there is any interest, I can provide more info once I actually have the procedure done next week. I should get the Spermcheck device within two weeks time. Wish I had known about that device earlier.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Vasectomy