Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SLurpee
Msg: 1
Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I refuse to shop there. The fact that the largest company in America got there by exporting jobs to a country in which if you complain too much about stuff you get jailed is appalling. I bet libertarians buy guns at wally mart too.

I'm not opposed to trade, but there has to be a minimun standard. Otherwise its just the ol boys networks gettin rich again.

The lowest price is not even the law. On loss leaders maybe. But not on everything. If you want to save .05 by exporting democracy, keep on consuming yourselves to death then. BTW Nice nieghbourhoods :P
 Stress_Puppy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 12:31:37 AM
If I remember right, they're trying to get a new Marine Drive location approved by City of Vancouver by making it an "environmentally-friendly" store design. Interesting tactic for sure, but no amount of friendly design is going to stop them from driving every business out of the area. Still amazes me that they still get approvals despite their well-known and evil business tactics. I wonder how those executives sleep at night? - oh... right... by counting dollar signs.
 BulldogMedic
Msg: 3
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 12:44:00 AM
Now, if you can just convince the thousands, upon thousands, of customers to NOT shop there, you will have gotten somewhere. Another b1tch topic, with no use....
 berrysweetncgurl
Msg: 4
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 12:49:29 AM
i love walmart
 mdew22
Msg: 5
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 1:12:58 AM
yes it does suck. but i still shop there.

mdew22
 Stress_Puppy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 1:26:00 AM
I don't think anyone really blames people for shopping at Wal-Mart - it's natural that people will go where prices are cheapest. The traditional knock on them is the poor working conditions, and because they're so big they can take a loss on their merchandise in order to drive smaller businesses under. Once the competition is out of town, they can raise them again. They've used questionable tactics to get around by-laws restricting store sizes and the like. Shoppers get cheaper prices, but some argue you end up losing in the long run because the larger economy gets depressed (lower wages for lots of workers, money goes out of the local economy, etc.). It's all the classic knocks against corporations - Wal-Mart is just an especially good target. In Canada at least, an attempt by Wal-Mart to enter an area always stirs up a big fuss because so many communities have gotten worked over in the past. Beside the above, many people don't like the sudden increase in traffic and pollution that accompanies the flocks coming to a new Wal-Mart store.
 SLurpee
Msg: 7
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 1:40:15 AM

Now, if you can just convince the thousands, upon thousands, of customers to NOT shop there, you will have gotten somewhere. Another b1tch topic, with no use....

Call me an idealist, but it would be nice if we could get 1000's of peopel to THINK about wtf they are doing as well and take responsibitliy for thier actions rather than being led solely by thier greed.... but hey...its just a dream..
 berrysweetncgurl
Msg: 8
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 4:13:54 AM
actually I live somewhere where wal-mart was fixing to build a new store, the people come together and protested them putting the new store where it was going to go,
(across from a school house and right in the middle of 2 historic districts)
the people won their fight and Wal-Mart will not be going there
so just to let you know, your voice does count when you think it doesnt
 berrysweetncgurl
Msg: 9
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 4:21:46 AM
lol I know right evil....where else can you get 6 rolls of toilet paper for under a dollar? and I have noticed that the super Wal-marts always have the freshest meats and so much more variety
I swear I could go in that place every day of my life spend at least $100 and need more the next day when I go back!
But they really are popping up everywhere....where it used to be convenient to drive 15 min down the road to the nearest Wal-Mart..now you can basically drive down the street and one is within walking distance
I like walmart...it does create jobs and a lot of them and not always for hispanics and other minorites..I know a lot of people that work there and say that the benefits are good
 shannanigan
Msg: 10
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 6:39:04 AM
I don't shop there, I don't mind paying a little more money to
someone with better business ethics. But thats just me...
 eccentric
Msg: 11
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 6:56:55 AM
you got it tera, for many it is about survival, I would like to have ideals but I can't afford them right now, my daughter needs shoes, clothes, toys, food, and a million other things.
 shannanigan
Msg: 12
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 7:01:35 AM
Gee, don't see the motivation behind your post Chatpilot.

Walmart likes to put manufacturers out of business by setting
them up and then pulling the plug when their prices need
to increase. All so the stock holders can be happy, and the
customers can be fooled into thinking everything in the store is
the best price in town (which is complete BS, by the way
Happy Shoppers) They are very good with the Ads and the
end caps and the perception of "Always Low Prices".
Try a little experiment sometime... you might be surprized.

Sorry, but last I checked the price of everything was going up,
and for Walmart to force companies under by cancelling huge
orders because the manufacturer needs to raise some cost due
to operating prices and raw materials is bull-pucky.

They suck. You kids have fun saving that extra 50 cents on a
piece of crap toaster. I'll shop at Meijer and Target... they have
much more interesting and quality stuff anyways. I'm sure
they'll miss me at Wal-Mart. LOL!
 shannanigan
Msg: 13
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 7:08:39 AM
^^^ Wow... another thing we agree on. Thats it, we really are in the End Days!
 shannanigan
Msg: 14
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 7:13:34 AM
^^^ Yep, leaning a bit to the left there buddy. LOOK OUT!
 kadmus
Msg: 15
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 7:13:48 AM
I never shop at walmart. And I agree on was Shan said above me. Walmart is a retail machine but the pressure they put on suppliers is insane. The business I work for makes a product I'm all of you have used. But we have limited production capacity. Since we can fill small orders for Walmart quickly, they assume we can fill any order for them quickly. So they will place an order for 10 times what they have previously ordered and expect it in 3 days. And if we don't make it, they try to ding us with a late order charge. It's like dealing with Darth Vader and being behind schedule.
 eccentric
Msg: 16
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 7:18:12 AM
My uncle who is deaf and has severe back problems is employed by Sam's Club, its the only place that would give him a job.
 SLurpee
Msg: 17
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:13:15 AM

I really need to hand it to the people that took Wal-Mart and turned it into the largest retailer in the country. They showed ingenuity and drive to create this business and they have obviously filled a huge need or they would have never become so successful.

People will always complain about them but their bottom line is pretty strong and for scores of people it is the best way to shop

Ok...I don't usually do this.. but you MORON....

The ONLY way Wally-Mart got so big was gets almost everything from COMMUNIST CHINA! There goes your CAPATALIST , FREE MARKET FORCES argument. I can see where this is going. The ultimate capatlist system : slavery.

And Tera, is it really a question of 'survival' or 'keepin up with the joneses' ? Try Freecycle.org. Hell, if its about survival, you can get Free FOOD from the food bank. But its not. Its about trying to save that extra buck here and there so one can go out and buy more crap. I will admit my own guilt here as well. Its societally conditioned. But we do have to make choices.
 lycurgus
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:22:29 AM

I refuse to shop there. The fact that the largest company in America got there by exporting jobs to a country in which if you complain too much about stuff you get jailed is appalling.

Which country is that?
 lycurgus
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:26:50 AM
Oh Communist China.

Well I thought that Liberals were against right-to-work laws, having more than one political party and having different press outlets cover news from different perspectives. Communist China meets this trifecta so it should be a paradise over there.... shouldn't it???
 eccentric
Msg: 20
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:33:39 AM
let's see saving .30 cents per item times one hundred items purchased in a given week. That comes to about $30 saved per week times 52 weeks equals $1560 saved per year. To many that may not seem like much but when you are scraping to be able to save $10 a week it starts to add up. Now let's add in cost of gas to go to several other stores, when all of those things could be bought at one store, then the savings starts to climb even higher. If I was able to hold onto all the money that I saved from shopping at wal-mart, I would be able to buy a car with that money. Again, to those of you driving around with dealership cars that may not seem like enough, but to those of us who can't afford payments, a $1500 car is a good deal.
 Frrosty
Msg: 21
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:34:27 AM
It's super funny how the Waltons (founder of Walmart) were the staunchest opponents vs outsourcing NA jobs UNTIL they saw through the trailblazing of others; that it could save pennnies.

Walmart changed their tune on THAT isssue pretty quickly hu?

They care about one thing and one thing only; selling stuff at the cheapest prices REGARDLESS of any other costs or issues.

As my ole uncle Angus would say:

D'as crrrap.
 Frrosty
Msg: 22
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:37:15 AM

actually I live somewhere where wal-mart was fixing to build a new store, the people come together and protested them putting the new store where it was going to go,
(across from a school house and right in the middle of 2 historic districts)
the people won their fight and Wal-Mart will not be going there

Same situation here in a smaller town nearby. Walmart lost their bid WHICH they did not give up for SOME time!! HECK, they wanted to bull their way in EVEN THOUGH most citizens of the area said they did not welcome them!!

ggrr
 Frrosty
Msg: 23
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:41:04 AM
Slurpee; I think that you are in one of those "how dare you" situations for telling a woman, heck telling anyone how to best morally spend the dollar to feed their children and such.

*shrugs*

How dare you.

*fill her shoes buddy..then come and tell us all about it k?*

I do agree that you get what you pay for in most cases. EIther the service is lower, the product is junk..optinos are limited..or warranties stink.etc etc etc etc

BUT

I also agree that you sometimes have to do what you have to do. As Ecentric above has said; different chunks of money to different people are relatively FAR diferent in importance.

25000 to a multi milionaiire or 1000 to a welfare recipient looking to spring into the world.

I cannot judge here..ever..anyone.

Accept the Walmart structure, of course. (and the cities who choose to allow it in)
 Frrosty
Msg: 24
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 9:48:39 AM

who the hell buys 100 items a week from walmart??

include groceries and everything and that woudl be easy to do.
 BulldogMedic
Msg: 25
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 10:05:19 AM
*yawn*

This is just another "protest of the week". The people who hate Wal-mart saw some liberal on TV bashing it, so they feel the need to now. I don't shop at Wal-mart, I don't think their prices are any different than Meijers. Yet, I don't hear anyone complaining about Meijer's, tho. Maybe if we can get Al Franken to bash it, it will be suddenly be a different story. As for getting products from China, how about any of you name a single store that you DO shop at, that doesn't have chinese made products in it.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]