Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Mission Trips      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Mission TripsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
** This IS a "relgion/supernatural" forum... so i don't expect this to be deleted again... not to mention the fact that there is NOTHING harmful or crude or *flaming* about this subject.

I am just curious what people think and how they feel about going on the 'mission field'... (defined in this sense as : traveling to an unfamiliar place to share the love and goodness of God with others through compassion and meeting physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs... which in this case would INCLUDE but not be limited to the GOSPEL... which just simply translates "good news")
I am sharing MY experience and MY thoughts on that experience... and opening it up for others to discuss/share THIER experiences and thoughts on the SUBJECT.

PEacE OuT!!

ORIGINAL POST
 SweetTreat
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/23/2007 10:39:11 PM
My honest opinion? Missions Trips are nothing less than people going to a far off land to a place where they know people will actually buy into what they are talking about. No offense but if you look at North America, religion is approached cautiously, and with reason. There are too many frauds out there and too many people looking to take advantage of innocent people who want nothing more than to beleive in something, so that they can fulfill their own earthly desires. People in remote villages of let's say, Africa haven't been exposed to the christian religion or those that prey within the religion, and are more apt to buy into it. That of course is Just My Opinion.

Having said that, when I was a christian, I did want to attend my Youth Groups missions trips as that was something I was passionate about at the time. Money never was available for it, so I didn't go. Looking back on it, it was a blessing in disguise. I participated in more "Summer Revivals" than I can think of and am actually ashamed now that I'm not a christian, as to how it was all approached. Too pushy, money hungry, etc. Although my oldest brother has been to Africa, Columbia and Russia on missions trips many years back and enjoyed them. To each their own I say.
 eternalknight
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/23/2007 11:05:59 PM
If you feel that you should, then by all means follow what is in your heart. I think you will learn a lot, and no doubt teach others a lot too. It can be dangerous, depending on where exactly you go, but you will of course be safe.
I also have no doubt that you would be blessed, and be a blessing to those to whom you are sent.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 4
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/23/2007 11:11:26 PM
I think if you feel the need to perform charitable and good works for those less fortunate, you should do so. However, I feel that offering your religion in a proactive way, or using a carrot and stick approach with religion for aid, or in any way belittling the culture and faith of those you attempt to aid (and there is a tremendous history of missionaries doing this in India, Africa, and China, probably South America as well) is, IMHO nothing short of contributing to cultural genocide.

That has been part of the Western cultural experience with the Third World for centuries as we bring them our great advancements like technology, hygiene and our massively popular religion, Christianity, viewing the last as just as much of an improvement as the former two.

Frankly, I don't think we have any right to impose our cultural values upon anyone else. Give them medicine if you like, dig a well, build a house, provide a school...

Keep your faith to yourself. I'm sure they will manage.
 pen_devil
Msg: 5
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/24/2007 12:19:50 AM
I've said this in another thread; missionaries in Africa and South-East Asia advocating abstinence instead of contraceptives when the information on contraceptives and safe sex is available only from those missionaries is quickly amounting to genocide.
But I guess that doesn't really matter to you, they were going to hell anyways for having sex out of wed-lock. Right?
 ms_fancypants
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/24/2007 8:53:33 PM

I've said this in another thread; missionaries in Africa and South-East Asia advocating abstinence instead of contraceptives when the information on contraceptives and safe sex is available only from those missionaries is quickly amounting to genocide.
But I guess that doesn't really matter to you, they were going to hell anyways for having sex out of wed-lock. Right

Well if that isn't the most silliest thing I have ever read! What the heck?

*sighs*

Have you been? Do you know? I am doubting it... So maybe you shouldn't make statements as if it were the absolute truth. It just makes you look foolish IMO.
 e-wok
Msg: 7
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/24/2007 10:45:30 PM

I am just curious what people think and how they feel about going on the 'mission field'... (defined in this sense as : traveling to an unfamiliar place to share the love and goodness of God with others through compassion and meeting physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs... which in this case would INCLUDE but not be limited to the GOSPEL... which just simply translates "good news")

I don't think I would be a good example for a Christian...although I have
the faith, I'm as corrupt as all the Christians out there...I laugh when I
see people like Billy Graham etc live the life of opulence while others
starve........so, really, how do I SHARE with others my faith when I
am as greedy as Billy Graham but without the mansion and servants.

You have to be a Mother Theresa to have any business spreading the
faith otherwise you're written off as a phony.
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 8
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/24/2007 10:51:08 PM
You have to be a Mother Theresa to have any business spreading the
faith otherwise you're written off as a phony.

You have a point in a way. When it comes to walking the walk, Mother Teresa is a great example of that.

Billy Graham is too , but in a different way. Billy Graham is more of an Evangelizer and Mother Teresa is more of a Missionarie. Both are great operations.
 eternalknight
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/24/2007 10:59:07 PM

Billy Graham is too , but in a different way. Billy Graham is more of an Evangelizer and Mother Teresa is more of a Missionarie. Both are great operations.

If you had ever heard Billy Graham speak, you would know that he is no phony. I was once under the false impression that he was perhaps a hypocrite, but after actually hearing the man speak I was convinced otherwise. He did not ask for donations as I recall, but only for people to at least believe in the possibilities of what he preached.
 pen_devil
Msg: 10
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/25/2007 11:06:49 AM

But I guess that doesn't really matter to you, they were going to hell anyways for having sex out of wed-lock. Right

Well if that isn't the most silliest thing I have ever read! What the heck?

*sighs*

Have you been? Do you know? I am doubting it... So maybe you shouldn't make statements as if it were the absolute truth. It just makes you look foolish IMO.

First, no I haven't been, but that doesn't make a difference. Second, yes I do know. Do you want me to start endnoting all my posts? Cause I could, but that would make them ten times longer then they already are...and I'm a long-winded typist.
Third, do some research yourself. I did.
Look at the amount of spending that the US puts in to humanitarian aid. Look into the US foreing policy concerning sub-Saharan African countries. Look at the US's own policy of teaching abstinence before contraceptives in it's 'Faith-Based Initiative'. Now look at where the humanitarian aid goes in terms of religious missionaries, and what sort of missionaries they are. Mostly Catholic, or else the more militant Christian denominations. Look at the policy concerning sex education for those groups: condoms are bad, contraceptives are evil, abortion is wrong and premarital sex is a sin. Abstinence is the only thing they're willing to teach, to a population whos only source for information on sex is the missionaries. PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHERAnd we wonder why AID's is killing litterally millions in Africa. Do you think it's because of their moral fiber? No, because if that were true, we'd all be dying of AIDs here too. Either that or just not procreating at all for fear of the disease. What they are lacking is EDUCATION and that's something religious missionaries lack in spades.
Feed them, clothe them, give them water and teach them how to do it themselves. This is what they need, and I've got no problem with it. Do it out of empathy, do it out of compassion, even do it out of love for Christ (as misguilded as that is) but DON'T INDOCTURNATE THEM. I'm pretty sure no African country applied for aid because their church attendance was low.
 flyguy51
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/25/2007 11:46:10 AM
It's very good for people to see what's beyond their own backyard. From what I've heard, short-term missions are very rewarding experiences; long-terms also, but for different reasons. Travel, fellowship, different cultures, obeying the Great Commission-- hard to beat.

Now, for my more cynical take. I never went because I never personally felt the call to go. I had several friends that did, and they had to go to great lengths to raise funds. Thing is, I had the funds to go, but I had other priorities (flight training is expensive, hint). I didn't like the prospect of asking people for money that I had in the bank already. I noticed that many going looked at the opportunity (underneath the Great Commission surface) as a way to go to Europe using OPM (Other People's Money). My roommate at the time, for example, talked WAY more about the beauty and majesty of Greece on his mission than on any success rate with changing people's spiritual lives for the better.

Let's just say that there are some really neat places that have many missionaries visit, and there are some heinous, dreary (if not deadly) places that don't seem to have so many visitors, missionary or otherwise. Not to say that there aren't any die-hard missionaries out there, though-- just not nearly as many feel "the call."
 fitman2005
Msg: 12
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/25/2007 5:34:46 PM
I am sharing MY experience and MY thoughts on that experience... and opening it up for others to discuss/share THIER experiences and thoughts on the SUBJECT.

- after many years of laying idle and non-service to God I chose to jump into the mission field of NYC last summer as a sacrificial offering to God. It was a letting go of self if only for several days and an attempt to redefine my identity in Christ. Throughout that trip myself and others came across what I would term as providential or 'divine' appointments with yes--people.......whether it was a woman with a flat tire in front of the Bowery Mission or a homeless sickly person in the subway system.....or the many encounters w/ onlookers or passerbys, I know that that trip and the effort and results that went along with it, were both meaningful, and impacting for us who went thru it for many reasons some of which I am quite sure are recorded in eternity-- Reverberating to say the least. I know that God was with us and even going before us....sometimes even refreshing us when we needed it most. There is a scripture which says that by our ''love one for another shall all men know you are my disciples.'' You know, this does not mean that we were always beating someone over the head with the Bible or Gospel of Jesus Christ. No- in fact as much as I firmly believe in giving one God's word to ponder, this is not always possible...and that a person can know whether you are a servant of God or not by your actions alone. I also believe in planting seeds and that people should be given an opportunity if possible to take God's word with them and review it for themselves and allow God Himself to open their spiritual eyes and ears.

I can say that because I remember being 21 years of age and NEVER having heard the message of the Gospel or the relevency of it. I will say that that single trip was very worth it for me. I would encourage anyone to give of themselves wholly and acceptable to God such as to sacrifice an hour, a single day or even a week of your time for the sake of helping others and see what it will do for you. It is said that when you are at your lowest that if you take your eyes off of yourselves, and see your brother or sister who is in greater need than yourself, and assist them, that you yourself, will be lifted up in the process.
 JMars
Msg: 13
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/27/2007 2:42:58 PM
I'm all for humanitarianism. However, when it comes to "winning" souls on the cheap, the preChristian Danes and Saxons had the right idea.

If there is one occupation that I can undoubtedly say that I hate and loathe with all my heart it is that of *missionary*. "We've come to help you, but if you don't sell your soul to my devi..errr, I mean my god, you can sufffer and rot to my hearts content. Amen."

No gift can ever be more costly than the so-called "free" gift. And a persons soul is not a commodity, to be bought, sold, or bartered for any reason. Shame on those who presume otherwise.
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 2:38:31 AM
hmmmmmmm.... glad to see the responses! all opinions and feelings are equally valid, albeit some are more rashly and arguably more "opinionated" than others.... with that said, it's really good to know and hear how 'real' people view what it is you want to commit your life to. So thank you guys for posting.
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 2:47:46 AM

But I guess that doesn't really matter to you, they were going to hell anyways for having sex out of wed-lock. Right?
that's a seriously hard core assumption/accusation dude... First of all, it is not my job or place to JUDGE ANYONE on where they "are going" ... or to determine what consequences are paid for ANY ultimately harmful behavior/choices. I'm quite busy enough repenting for my OWN mistakes to be taking "specs" out of other people's eyes. i'm 100% AGAINST genocide of any kind.... and do not intend on choking any fellow human with my personal beliefs... i will share my faith, my experiences, etc. in the natural course of intelligent conversation and sharing of such, but my intentions are pure in going to help the sick and in need. I don't think spending three weeks in the middle of the hot, humid summer in Mississippi WORKING my ash of all day will amount to more than just that ... physicians do NOT go knocking on people's doors begging to aid them in their illnesses and wounds... they meet the needs of those who come to them for such, and that only within their ability and training, Sharing my faith is not amount to genocide, but doing NOTHING, my friend, certainly IS.

peace ~L
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 2:55:23 AM

It is said that when you are at your lowest that if you take your eyes off of yourselves, and see your brother or sister who is in greater need than yourself, and assist them, that you yourself, will be lifted up in the process.

well said... and even if you're not at your "lowest" ... to mean, why wait for that? ;)
it seems just the natural thing to do to me.... you can always use a dose of perspective, and helping those who find themselves in less favorable conditions that we are currently experiencing (whatever or however that may be) does just that... it takes our focus off OURSELVES and puts it on OTHERS ... if everyone did this, maybe the world wouldn't experience such pain and need to begin with?
thank you for your comments and encouragement.... ms. fancypants too!!!!
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 3:02:59 AM

It is said that when you are at your lowest that if you take your eyes off of yourselves, and see your brother or sister who is in greater need than yourself, and assist them, that you yourself, will be lifted up in the process.

thanks so much. You know, i find myself needing to go and do these things BEFORE things get to their lowest. A good dose of perspective keeps us humble and very grateful for the abundance of blessings we have here.
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 3:08:19 AM

If there is one occupation that I can undoubtedly say that I hate and loathe with all my heart it is that of *missionary*. "We've come to help you, but if you don't sell your soul to my devi..errr, I mean my god, you can sufffer and rot to my hearts content. Amen."

No gift can ever be more costly than the so-called "free" gift. And a persons soul is not a commodity, to be bought, sold, or bartered for any reason. Shame on those who presume otherwise.

wow. I'm glad i've never met anyone like you're describing above. And i kindly but completely disagree with your opinion on the 'costliness' of the "free" gift. It was not, after all, free to He Who paid the price.

I CAN empathize with your anger tho, you've obviously been seriously thrashed by someone who called themselves "Christian" ... and i'm sorry for that.... and shame on THAT.
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 8:10:39 AM

to sacrifice an hour, a single day or even a week of your time for the sake of helping others and see what it will do for you. It is said that when you are at your lowest that if you take your eyes off of yourselves, and see your brother or sister who is in greater need than yourself, and assist them, that you yourself, will be lifted up in the process.

you don't need to go on a mission to do that. Im our daily travels, we pass by and oft overlook those who need our help.
 JMars
Msg: 20
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 9:17:25 AM

And i kindly but completely disagree with your opinion on the 'costliness' of the "free" gift. It was not, after all, free to He Who paid the price.

It was even less free to the numerous cultures destroyed and/or demonized by those extending the "free" gift. And those people continue to pay the price for it unto this day. And not as a willing sacrifice on their behalf either, which makes all of the difference in the world regarding who paid more for it.

you've obviously been seriously thrashed by someone who called themselves "Christian" ... and i'm sorry for that

No, my cultural beliefs, along with the cultures and beliefs of *numerous* other peoples have been trashed by those who have spread the "free gift" across the face of the Western world and beyond, and who are the only reason why people like you even know what Christianity is today. If you want to be sorry for something be sorry for that.
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 9:48:12 PM

along with the cultures and beliefs of *numerous* other peoples have been trashed by those who have spread the "free gift" across the face of the Western world and beyond, and who are the only reason why people like you even know what Christianity is today. If you want to be sorry for something be sorry for that.

wrong again. and considering you don't KNOW me, it was rather presumptious of you to state how "someone like me" came upon Christianity. I have spent YEARS learning about religions from all over the globe.... I was a seeker of the TRUTH, knowing it had to exist SOMEWHERE.... because truth just IS.... regardless of whether a certain human person believes it to be so or not.... there are laws and truths built in and designed in this Universe that even the Earth must abide by... so i found it ILLOGICAL that a truth for the human spirit did not exist. And GOD found ME... not the other way around. It was ME who was lost, not HIM. And for that, I am most certainly NOT sorry. ... i am, & always will be, GRATEFUL to now experience a Love that surpasses human understanding. Is it so difficult to attempt and understand THAT rather than respond with such hostility? It's all about the LOVE....
not arguing over who is right in their faith or lack thereof.
 Bohemian_girl
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/28/2007 9:51:41 PM

you don't need to go on a mission to do that. Im our daily travels, we pass by and oft overlook those who need our help.

too true, too true. i try daily to keep my eyes and heart open to just that..... and find my days filled with loving others.... it's not so easy to overlook those in need if that is what you are focused on.
 JMars
Msg: 23
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/29/2007 12:50:24 PM
Considering your own presumptuousness, I wouldn't throw stones if I were you.

And if you look at the history of your religion, you'll see that it is about alot worse than arguing over who is right and who is wrong. It's also about alienating, denigrating, torturing, killing and otherwise engaging in gross atrocity. But hey, whatever it takes to make a sale and ensure global circulation I guess.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 24
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/29/2007 5:28:21 PM
I believe that Christians have a duty to preach the Gospel because Jesus commanded it in Matthewe 28:19-20. I also believe as it says in Acts 2:47 of those who heard and responded to the Apostles preaching, "And GOD added to the CHURCH daily those who were being saved."

I believe that God has redeemed out of mankind some from every nation, tribe, kindred, and language as it says in Revelation 5:9. It is God's will that the Church--meaning the visible universal Christian Church--do mission work to all nations.

I believe that the first need of any people is the Gospel. I know that those who do not share my Christian faith will consider this an absolutely foolish statement. Be that as it may, as a Christian I consider that a man's spiritual need for God far surpasses any need that his body has. My reason for this is that the soul is immortal while the body will perish. I believe that the greatest need any person has is to be reconciled to God, and I believe that there is only one way that can be accomplished--through Jesus Christ.

I believe that Christian missionaries can and do bring many types of relief and aid to undeveloped parts of the world. I know of one instance in particular that a friend of mine is working with. My friend is a writer and has published several books on theology. She is also a frequent speaker at Christian women's conferences. She is now producing some Bible study lessons to be used in Africa in a school that this organization is running. The schools are educating people to be able to bring a whole host of life skills to villages so that the villages can prosper.

I know of other ministries such as Wycliffe that specialize in translating the Bible into other languages so that those who haven't been able to read the Bible in their native language will have it available. My church makes annual contributions to this ministry through our Mission Outreach fund.

My sister was on the Mission Committee at her church in Washington State. They were supporting a missionary in the Amazon somewhere. I believe that he had medical training and had set up a clinic to treat the local people for free. Their congregation provided some of his funding so that he had a plane and could fly out to get the needed supplies.

My congregation shares a building with a Reformed Baptist Church. On the 18th while I was visiting my with my pastor some people were loading up various items that the Baptists had collected. The people who run the orphanage were in town to pick up the donations to be taken to an orphange in Juarez, Mexico. My pastor wants to get some of us involved because it's a very worthy cause, and we are only a few hundred miles away.
 trippy_hare
Msg: 25
Mission Trips
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:10:48 AM
Honest opinion?

Mission trips are etnocentric in the extreme, among other ills. Traveling to some other culture to inform them that their long-held beliefs are wrong, then flaunting modern medicine and technology at them as 'proof' your god is better is bad enough: but flat out denying the treatment offered to those who don't convert?!

Shameful, disgusting, dishonest, and cruel. That's not spreading God's love, God is fully capable of doing that all on His own. Mission trips spread nothing more than the agenda of whatever group undergoes the task.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Mission Trips