Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > what girls like and dislike in mens profiles      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aussie_Striker
Msg: 3
view profile
History
what girls like and dislike in mens profilesPage 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Hey I'll volunteer, tell me what you like and dislike about my profile.
 nikinikaia
Msg: 52
view profile
History
what girls like and dislike in mens profiles
Posted: 7/16/2007 6:02:35 PM
Here's an oldster's perspective on what a woman wants to see in a man's profile (note I am saying man and woman, not boy and girl AND these can apply to both genders).

Everyone has likes and dislikes - it's how you present them to the public that makes or breaks first impressions.

*DON'T make the subject of slamming your EX part of your profile - no matter how terrible the relationship was...gives a woman the impression they will always have the shadow from your past hanging over what they say, do, think, and feel. (This goes for women too)

*DO present yourself truthfully - after all, when you meet up with someone you won't hide the lies for long - they have a way of coming round and smacking you right up side the head eventually!

*DO give enough information to peak interest: too short a profile ("Hey, you want to know more, IM or e-mail me) probably won't get the response you're hoping for; and, too long a profile can make them fall asleep! LOL (mine would probably fall in this latter category)

*DON'T concentrate on the negatives you don't want in a relationship, concentrate on the positives. Gives the other person the opportunity to decide if they have those attributes to offer. My interpretation of this area is like applying for a job - if you don't even have the minimum qualifications your expectations of being selected for an interview are significantly lower from the git go.

*DO put a recent picture on your profile. It took me a long time to get a recent pic up, but until I did I made sure my profile stated that the picture was X years old.

I'll stop there - those tidbits I learned from other POF members who I asked to review my profile.

karl64
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/17/2007 12:00:11 AM
the reverse thread quite amusing realy
and it certainly does confirm that men and women are so differant
but one thing i have noticed is everyone is differant and like differant things what you like someone else doesnt ah so what is the better profile? maybe thats and individual choice
maybe there is a woman out there that wants to hunt pigs on there first date???
not my choice but hey each to there own
 karl64
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/17/2007 5:33:55 AM
some fish you just need to throw back
its a shame you dont know that untill you get them out of there enviroment
maybe i should take note and read there profiles more carefully
 karl64
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/17/2007 9:29:26 AM
"and the list goes on and on. YES women ARE guilty of the same thing"
yup i guess it is both ways

but this comment is dead on track "4. Seeking 'Intimate Encounter' (status MARRIED).....get off the dating site and go fix your marriage"

leave the single sites to the singles but alas its not a perfect world
and thank god none of us are perfect we would all be the same then and wheres the adventure in that
 karl64
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/17/2007 9:31:21 AM
Hilly you been on a pig hunting date??????????????????
 karl64
Msg: 76
Posted: 8/2/2007 1:28:23 AM
what colour beenie is most desirable?
i need to choose wisely befor making my purchase but they have to match my sunnies too

gotta have some standards
 karl64
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/3/2007 8:50:41 PM
Is there such a thing as a perfect man or woman for that matter
i,m close but just need to meet the lady that thinks the same as i do
 Mildura3500
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/6/2007 10:00:05 PM
Soooooo let me get this straight, no photo's in Falanies, trackies, beanie, rossi's with my sunnies on.
Shoot that's how I spend half my life! I must be in big trouble then!
Oh and no photo's bare chested in budgie smugglers and thongs. Well there goes the other half of my life!
But just to get this straight, you don't want to see me at work with my bald spot showing looking down and way tooo serious ether??? Well there goes that half too!
I guess I will just have to post a pic of me in the buff sleeping on my silk sheets dreaming my life away??
 Mildura3500
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/7/2007 4:24:25 PM
Ok I'll go first!

http://laughwithresearchowl.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/hairy-man.jpg

Mildura3500
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/8/2007 12:36:14 AM
I posted it in my profile and now my pics don't show up at all? LOL I guess they didn't find it as funny as I did!

edited, back on again!
 nikinikaia
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2007 7:31:45 PM
Ladies - he's an attorney! Hence, there is no rhyme nor reason to his post, because that's what attorney's do - lead you around robin's barn and go no where!! LOL!
 Mildura3500
Msg: 161
Posted: 8/12/2007 7:27:14 AM

Female woody tablet now theres an idea saves on energy

apparently those vitamin V tablet do just that!
 djrdx
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2008 6:57:53 AM
depends how much a phone call costs though... peak or off peak?
:p
 Nightsun_Rising
Msg: 256
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:12:32 PM
I understand that this is an old thread, but I came across it and just need to post a response:

Planet "doormat" indeed. That statement couldn't be further from the truth. Ladies, when you meet a man who treats you like gold, spends all of his money on you, saves you from doing the vast majority of the housework (because he thinks you're too good for that), don't make the mistake of walking all over him. Don't take him for granted, and above all, don't start assuming that he's perfectly happy doing everything all of the time. The unfortunate truth is that at some point, he does it simply because "well... at this point, no one else will."

I'm not saying that any of you who posted are guilty of this. I know it was a joke, but I guess some jokes are based in fact- and if you went through this, then I apologize for the male gender. But women are capable of this sort of treatment too. I'm living proof.

If you ever wonder why some men carry around baggage, just take what I said into consideration. Good hearts do get stomped on frequently, and often, voraciously. Some people are borne A-holes, others are taught it. (Notice I said "people", not "men" or "women.")

Fortunately, some people can get over it. Not every divorcee carries around the proverbial "baggage", but keep in mind that we all learn from experience, and the past can never be changed. Go into everything with heart, but also with head. Go into every relationship with understand, both communicated, AND intuitive. Listening to your intuition can save a lot of heartache down the line.

Love, and let be loved, but never take for granted what you have.

So my rant is finished.
 tensail
Msg: 257
Posted: 5/4/2012 1:16:54 AM
only insecure aproval seekers r intrested in wat women or others want,u wouldnt ask a modern woman- vey dont know themselves never mind anything else.
 tensail
Msg: 258
Posted: 5/4/2012 1:18:37 AM
its due 2 insecurity, thts why vey put pics up of things like pets n cars n crap, women do it 2 by puting up pics of ver family or friends. vey feel inadequate so try n fill v void by other stuf- ves types r deleted.
 tinapenny
Msg: 259
Posted: 5/4/2012 1:37:16 AM

only insecure aproval seekers r intrested in wat women or others want
Its true that running around trying to fit in with everyone else isn't totally healthy, but a secure person can still be aware of other people's needs and help meet them.

Its okay to need other people. Being aware of why you're doing it and where other people's boundaries are is important. Which leads me to say that posting on the forums is a good way of reminding yourself that you're not alone in the world, but if you randomly put short comments on a heap of old threads it isn't that helpful. Nor is shorthand.
 gingerosity
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2012 2:20:24 AM
Why is it that only 1 or 2 threads are ever active?

Because us Aussies want our views reinforced, not challenged? People want to watch tv instead of think? Because facebook offers a forum of people of similar interests/backgrounds so drastically reduces conflicting ideas and is also more audiovisual? (yes, it even has smilies!)

Why are we different to other forums? The population of interested people is below critical mass. There are some of us but not enough people to make it seem like its a happening place, so newbies don't hang around. Therefore there aren't enough people to make it seem like its a happening place... its a negative-feedback loop.
 tinapenny
Msg: 262
Posted: 5/4/2012 2:48:39 AM
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread if you've got something to add to the discussion, just as ginger said there aren't enough opinions/insights/thoughtful research that lead to discussion
 qldblue
Msg: 263
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:03:22 AM
From memory this thread also started a counter thread titled what guys like and dislike in women's profiles and that thread produced the same comments as this thread but most of all the majority of posters stated that people using text shorthand was a big turn off.

I agree to the point that correct or as correct grammer and spelling does have a better chance of getting your message across.
 gingerosity
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:21:16 AM

Topless pics of themselves when they... have bigger tits than I do...

I don't see a problem with that in a profile. (Don't worry about context. Its over-rated.)

why do I want to see a pig you've shot or a fish you've caught?

Me good hunter-gatherer. You Jane.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:35:23 AM
People who are too lazy to write a few short sentences about themselves and instead mash their keyboard until they fulfill the requisite number of characters. Seriously lazy.

People who write "if you want to know anything about me, just ask!". No.

Single parents who say their son/daughter/brood "is my world". I see this exact wording in about 70-80% of the single parent profiles I see, come up with something original.

People who list the races of people they don't want to be contacted by. Some things are best left unsaid and this always makes you look like a racist bogan if you choose to include it.

Pictures of someone holding alcohol. Hard to pull this off without looking like an alcoholic. It definitely doesn't automatically evoke sophistication.

Pictures of a car. Not a person WITH a car, just a car. What the fuck.

I have lots more, but I'll come back to it later. If you want to know more just ask!;)
 Sheridesmotox
Msg: 267
Posted: 5/11/2012 12:25:45 AM
Dislike - Men that complain about women, or have an issue with somebody not replying.

Like - Men that like extreme sports

Dislike - Men who only have photos of there body

Like - Goals
 gingerosity
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2012 2:04:39 AM
Like - Women

Ambivalent about - most other stuff

Dislike - whatever I've left out