Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Things not to do on a first date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CanadianGal31
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Things not to do on a first datePage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Hey, I dont normally post out here, but I thought I would share things that freaked me out on a first date .

We started chatting about the places we lived and presently live.
Was going along ok, till he said, Oh why dont you let me move in?
I guess me saying, I have alot of unused rooms, but owning is better then wasting my money or giving it to someone else, by renting. Promted him into saying this.
He was serious and actually, pleaded for me to consider it, so we could get to know each other better.

That was the first creepy thing, I let slide.

We went to a coffee shop, we sat for what I intended to be a better conversation.

He grabbed my hands stated playing with them, like I had known him for a long time,
saying I hope you love holding hands as much as I love holding yours. after I got out of the hold , I grabbed my cup and held on tight.

2nd freak out!

3rd and final straw..... he puts arms around me hugging wanting to kiss me.....
and does. Not into this on a first date, far to fast for me.

I get apart, say goodbye, make an excuse to go.....he then says we should get a movie tonight and share some cozy time..........your a very sexy lady!

I am totally freaked.........and wont be giving this man a second chance ever!

First impressions and first dates, wow, what do ou all think of this!
I am a tad bit afraid now!

Take care and good luck fishing!

CanadianGal31
Msg: 2
view profile
History
First date was scary
Posted: 4/2/2007 1:12:49 PM
That was the fastest I could get out of it, lol yes, I do think there are other men out here, with more common sense, for sure, and it will not stop me from going on another date with another man.
Should have named it, "things not to do on a first date!"
 CanadianGal31
Msg: 4
view profile
History
First date was scary
Posted: 4/2/2007 1:42:40 PM
Well all he had to do was ask for the frog collection, lmao I may have given him a few to get out of that situation, that was funny thanks
 marylandcutie
Msg: 5
Things not to do on a first date
Posted: 4/2/2007 1:46:07 PM
Here's a good one. I met a guy from yahoo personals for the first time for lunch. When we talked on the phone he told me about the kidney stone he passed that week. I was very sympathetic since I'd worked in urology and saw the pain and suffering those cause.

We meet in the lobby, are shown to our table, and within 60 seconds he whips out a 35mm film canister, pops the top and drops the STONE on the table.

ah.........check, please!
 justforumsplease
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/2/2007 2:55:03 PM
"I never meet anyone in private unless I have met them publicaly 3 times..."

I agree...

I never show anyone my privates in public unless I have met them 3 times...

just kidding...

As the majority of posters have said here, it is a question of comfort levels. and chemistry. I have had dates where I was absolutely captivated by my companion, and some dates where the spark had fizzled somewhat. Being one who is very ok, and even flattered by public displays of affection, there still has to be a sort of "breaking in" period for lack of a better term.
 CanadianGal31
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2007 7:17:27 PM
I also agree, if chemistry had been there, it may have been excepted differently, thanks again for the reads and responses.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 8
First date was scary
Posted: 4/3/2007 8:14:17 AM
an amusing "first date" story...
a lady friend of mine said this actually happened to her...i guess she had been chatting with this guy she met for a while...anyway they made arrangements to meet for coffee etc...at the last minute she decided she better have a quick bite to eat so she opened up a can of tuna...she wasnt too careful opening the can of tuna and some of the juice spilled onto her clothes...she wiped it up quickly and finished her sandwich and went to meet this guy...because she had just eaten the tuna she never noticed the aroma on her clothing but the guy sure as hell did...hows that for impressing a "first date"?
 HottieScotty
Msg: 9
First date was scary
Posted: 4/3/2007 8:51:14 AM
To the O/P...
First off........NICE BRA picture. Yea.....shure looks like a bra....
Sweater...shirt...yup....it's a bra.
Secondly.....to quote your profile.

""I 'm looking for a partner, friend and a lover...The whole package..""
and
"People who are comfortable in their skin is a major attraction."
AND
"ready to give a hug "
O.k..so i've never met the fella you talk of....
But give him a break.
sounds to me he's much more comfortable in his skin than yourself.
Holding hands.........WHATEVER. Gosh...that's like going the whole way.

I'm shure...and have heard of guys being wierdoo's on the first and only date....
but it bothers me when prude women want a knight in shining armor....to date them for months before they even talk of anything relating to close contact.

Sheesh....you get back.....as much as you put in .
My 2 cents.

A P.S... is in order.
if it don't feel right......you don't have to do it.
 CanadianGal31
Msg: 10
view profile
History
First date was scary
Posted: 4/5/2007 10:56:11 PM
Should have wrote first meet.......never saw pic of him.

Was not a date.

Just pretty foolish on my part.

Maybe we girls should all just wear turtle necks.

Labels got to love them.
 corgilover2007
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/21/2007 3:19:50 PM
Women do their own particularly weird shit....like the woman that gave me chapter and verse on her DAUGHTER'S (19 y.o.) recent trip to the GYN.....ignorance and stupidity are definitely not gender biased
 Tess7535
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/21/2007 3:50:02 PM
what is with these men who do these things on first dates!!!???
Its a first DATE as in to see whats to come later if you get any second chance, ithink people need to start looking at first dates more like an interview then a NOOKIE NIGHT@! At least untill they know that the other person is into you or not..!!
 charliemcsd
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2007 4:29:08 PM
Yeah, the guy sounds like a nut case. Reminds me of a woman who contacted me here a few weeks ago. We exchange several light hearted emails and what not. Then she emails me in what seems like she is in a panic, saying that we REALLY NEED TO TALK. Like WTF?
 techgirl27
Msg: 14
view profile
History
First date was scary
Posted: 4/24/2007 5:23:57 AM
Things not to do on a first date:

turn up late
put your hand in someone's shirt or pants
turn up in shorts of any kind - unless its 108F and you're in southern cal in the summer time, then nice shorts would pass.
eat spaghetti
arrive with a time restriction. If you have to be somewhere right after, reschedule.
show up in flip flops - sandals OK *if* the weather and culture are suitable for them
leave your cell phone on - for goodness sake turn your ringer off
 techgirl27
Msg: 15
view profile
History
First date was scary
Posted: 4/24/2007 7:20:13 AM
if you work a job where you might have to fly instantly, maybe its better that you not be trying to date. Its not fair to the person who has changed their schedule to give their time to you only to have to leave at any time. And some guys, perhaps not you, but some will say that so they have a guaranteed "out" for a "bad" date each time. And no one is on call 100% of the time, not even cops or fire service. Like I explained, if you can't turn your ringer off for long enough to meet someone, then you shouldn't be trying to meet people.

---
other things not to do on a first date:

be late (did I say be late? I'm big for being on-time)
have it at your or their place
turn up with no money (guy OR girl)
call someone "sexy", until after you know each other WELL
and NO SEX on a first date
 CanadianGal31
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 8:48:51 AM
You know hearing the general comment, that the clothing is indicating this or that, about how I am treated, as a person.

First off, this is a top, It is not a BRA! Like I should explain why?

Yeah, I agree.....posting pics in ones underwear....tacky....goes for guys as well, and other various stages of undress, unless you're on the beach and in a bathing suit or just a warm summer day outside, etc... You know how some people are, if they see a half naked body they expect one to "put out" for them. Just a thought.

If I, in turn was rapped, it would be my own fault because of my dressing style!

I thought that level of thinking, is not exceptable, in today society!
There again proving we all think very differently, about the way woman dress.

I do however think it is time I get buying some turtle necks, That way I will not get labels, put on myself, Shame on all of Us!

I do not agree with all that stuff or labels, Maybe its a level of thinking we all need to get a handle on.

If this is the level of thinking out here, I am afraid, not only for me but any woman on here, wearing, anything less then a turtle neck, or a blouse with buttons done up to the top of your neck.

Shame on me, for not buying turtle necks, at my age geeesh!

We all sure do deserve to be treated , less than a nice lady, If our blouse is not buttoned to top!

Thats why I posted out here, in a pic that shows some of my neck, Cause anyone whom does, deserves to be treated like a full blown tramp. NOT!

My fault for sure! Please!!!!!!!!!!

Again, it was a first meeeeeeeeeeeeet, not a DATE!
 harviej
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2007 10:40:01 PM
Hey Blondie, thats a great list of 10 things not to do on a first date.
I just have one question.
Do I have to stop doing ALL of those things on a first date or should I just save SOME of them for the second date?
 Diamond Stunna
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/8/2007 6:51:36 AM
We might try to get in your pants right away but we're not with the moving in and the xtra shyt that dude did. Kiss part was normal everyting else ..pretty freaky.
 marelee
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/17/2007 5:59:26 PM
I agree with you, she took a serious chance going back to his apartment. First Date,
as a good friend you gave her a good piece of advise. Unfortunately she's walking a dangerous path. I know other people don't agree, but I've seen alot in this world and I know that there are rules to follow, my safety always comes first.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/18/2011 12:48:48 PM
Meet at a coffee shop !

Especially when the place is dead quiet ,nobody else in the shop is talking because they're alone reading a newspaper or on their laptop in very close proximity to you and the person you've just met , so you know they can't help but listen to every word you're saying - not comfortable !
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:07:48 PM

. Anyone who does not show me some sort of physical affection gets tossed.

Would a head slap be considered affection?

Doood if you got half of what you talked about on the forums you couldn't type..
Minnie would be worn out..

Mickey seems to be living in Fantasia land

Tell me you how much sex you get or expect..mmm yeah right.
Sock puppets revolt!!!

The guy was a looser probably living with mums..I can't imagine sitting there after he mentioned moving in, nor volunteering anything about my home on a first date/meet unless we both had checked each other out........
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:30:54 PM

I am a touchy feely kind of guy and I do expect to be kissed at the end of the of first date. I have had first dates where I all i got was a hand shake . Anyone who does not show me some sort of physical affection gets tossed.
Apollodorus, I have to tell you a story , see if this sounds familiar ?

When I was younger it was sometime after dinner, my 3 best friends came over ,Chester Field, Billy Bob, Bob Shed and Paula Dent, my pa said " son go out and fetch me some Opossums" and I asked him " what fer pa" any way I had to fetch the smelly critter, well I took my pa's last boiled chicken feet to lure the Opossum because they like that Sh!t, and low and behold I saw a Opossum and I chased under my Pa's Turnip truck.

Well to make a long story short, I fell off the turnip truck 5 times and broke my arm, oh my Pa was heaping mad, he beat my ass, gave me a good woopin, do you know why he beat my ass? Cause I didn't come home with the Opossum and I took his last boiled chicken feet, and I slipped on some droppings of a Adult Male Bovine Mammal aka A BULL, and it was all over the house.

Right about now you're probably wondering Apollodorus whats the point of the beeping story?well like droppings from a bull, its called Bullsh!t, and if you expect me to believe that you actually kick someone to the curb because after a second date they dont give you affection is as believable as my story

achooo achoooo, im also allergic to bull sh1t ....achoooooo.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/18/2011 4:45:18 PM
I have had a couple of similar experiences. One was with a guy who asked if he could sit on my side of the booth because the music was loud and he couldn't hear me. He kept getting closer and closer until his thigh was pressed against mine--despite the fact that I kept scooting away from him. It finally ended when he put his arm around me and started squeezing my upper arm. I said, forcibly and loudly, "YOU ARE IN MY SPACE!" He jumped away as if I had thrown hot water at him.

We had no further contact at that point, but a couple of years later, he contacted me again. I told him he was a creep. He said he wasn't a creep and I should give him another chance.

No way.

The other guy grabbed me outside of Barnes and Noble and tried pushing this tongue down my throat. When I pushed him away and headed to my car, he followed behind me saying that he had wanted to do that since he laid eyes on me.

So, I guess it didn't matter what I wanted!

You can't let these things get you down. Always meet in a public place, yada, yada, yada. I have met dozens of men, and out of them all, only these two took physical "liberties." Other men said inappropriate things, but that is easier to deal with than someone putting his hands on you.

We need to keep ourselves safe--be savvy.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/18/2011 8:51:30 PM
^^^^^^^ and your point is what Apollodorus? many people say things on their profile, im sure you will find someone on here that says they've seen Big Foot too?
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/18/2011 9:10:58 PM
achoo , achoo, achooo, please excuse me * sniff , sniff* my allergies are acting up again , I am really allergic to Bull sh1t.

Dude, im not the one looking stupid, why are you even worried about what I think? did I touch a nerve? and if you think im a bitter old man im cool with that, and you can call me ass hole too if you like , I really dont mind...

Let me guess, those women are lucky to be in your company right? Hey one nation under a groove ..
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/19/2011 3:49:06 AM

what the hell is an opossum?

Hillbilly kangaroos?
Road kill barbecue?

Opossums are the largest order of marsupials in the Western Hemisphere. They are also commonly called possums, though that term is also applied to Australian fauna of the suborder Phalangeriformes. The Virginia Opossum was the first animal to be named an opossum; usage of the name was published in 1610.[2] The word opossum comes from the Algonquian aposoum, meaning "white beast".[3] Opossums probably diverged from the basic South American marsupials in the late Cretaceous or early Paleocene.

Their unspecialized biology, flexible diet and reproductive strategy make them successful colonizers and survivors in diverse locations and conditions.

We beez calls them supper down heyah..

My point is if you are going to call something Bullshit you should know all the facts first before you do otherwise it makes you look stupid. You are making a crap load of assumptions without knowing anything and it is making you look like a bitter old man.

He doesn't seem bitter, stupid..nor old.
Intelligent and realistic would be my first impression.

It makes YOU look more like the Stupid one IF anything.

Do you meet women and THEN explain your RULES to them?
FIRST DATE................Conversation No no

All women know men who crow the loudest are getting the least..
It's unattractive and desperate sounding. Like whining.

Also
First date conversations should steer clear of what you will or won't "tolerate", family drama, kinky fantasies, health issues,money,politics and For Peter Pumpkins sake if you want some affection ..act and talk realistically sane.

The other guy grabbed me outside of Barnes and Noble and tried pushing this tongue down my throat. When I pushed him away and headed to my car, he followed behind me saying that he had wanted to do that since he laid eyes on me.

Oh yeah..I think I met that one..He could have asked.."Do you mind if i ram my slimy mouth member down you throat?

That would have been better than.."Can I kiss you goodnight" then choke me to death..
Dayum...........

Thank gawd for Listerine..* spitting all the way home*
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Things not to do on a first date